Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2016, 15:49   #9946
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

To me, the attraction of a good ceramic/nano/high-tech treatment would be protection.

With any other detailing result, one crow can ruin a patch of wax shine and it starts eating into the paintwork immediately. And there are plenty of crows.
Old 7th November 2016, 17:52   #9947
Senior - BHPian

Re: About Nano Ceramic Coatings : Nanolex / Opticoat / Max Protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post
Good coatings don't need touch up after 6 months. Only the ones which don't perform do.
I have spoke to 3 big dealers dealing in 3 big products - Opticoat, Max protect and nanolex. All 3 say that you will needd to come and get a touch up done. So based on you analysis above, I guess all three are coatings which are not good enough.

But this is not necessarily true. What they say is that if the same coating was done for a car abroad, the owner would not need to bother for 2-3 years. The coating will not last as long in a country like ours due to its harsh environment. Besides, there is also an after care process post these coating which are not practical to follow in everyday life. I am sure most of us do not wash our cars ourselves everyday and it is given to the watchman who is washing a number of cars a day. He is not going to bother about using the right recommended technique in washing your car.

Quote:
The 6 month touch up is just a 30 min-45 min cleanup of tar spots and any shortcomings you may find. It is not a complete job. If your visit to a detailer 3 times is for the full works, that means you will have to give the car to him for 4-6 hours each time.
The re-coat aftyer 06 months may take an hour or two I did not ask. But the initial process takes 2-3 days!!!

Quote:
Hence as regards to 6 monthly service you should find out what exactly is the detailer going to do and what service each of the 3 coatings are going to do that you are considering. Technology has moved ahead. If you want to wax it would work still cheaper. But then it comes with its drawbacks of dust attraction.
As per the dealers, ceramic coatings do not repel dust. The ceramic coatings are not scratch proof. They too scratch but to a lesser extent. They had even advised that if there is dust on the car, put water first and then wipe the car. This is ofcourse supossed to be done by default.

Quote:
Only I will say choice and money is yours. Either you move ahead with times or stay in the ancient times of car detailing. We have a person coming in our locality doing cars for Rs.500 and many get their cars done from him. So you are not any different, when it comes to economics, but if you want the better technology on your car there are many more options. Wrong products can spoil your paint and other parts of the car. Repainting cars is a costlier option and reduces the value of the car. So a wise decision goes a long way.
Whoa!! Just because I do not find the latest technology worth my money so I am ancient? You making it sound like I cannot afford the product and so making an excuse to not use it. This is highly unappreciated!

All I am tryin to put forth is that for me, three times the money being spent on ceramic coating, the offering is nothing to write home about.

By the way, is it that you have done a ceramic coating for your car?
Old 7th November 2016, 18:32   #9948
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
What they say is that if the same coating was done for a car abroad, the owner would not need to bother for 2-3 years. The coating will not last as long in a country like ours due to its harsh environment.
I am a little suspicious of claims like this.

Some people live near the sea. The salt in Indian sea is the same salt found in foreign sea.

Some people live in very dry places. The silica in foreign dust is just as abrasive as Indian dust.

Some people live in very hot places. Hotter and colder than India. I'm told, by a resident, that Chicago gets as hot as Chennai in the summer, but will be in deep ice over winter.

Some people live near crows. Oh, wait... there I'm beaten: our crows are the worst!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 22:17   #9949
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1574247

Attachment 1574248

The effect of the glass coating on the 8 year old Honda City I sold 4 years back.
What the !!!!!
Simply amazing !!!

Which product and from where? Let me then search it over at NCR area...
Old 7th November 2016, 22:47   #9950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post

I have been doing research on this for quiet a bit and it is true that the ceramic coating is better in terms of shine and longivity (in our climate conditions - 01 year maximum) but the results achieved in terms of shine with ceramic coating is just about 15% better than a professional detailing job. However, the pricing for ceramic coating is more than 3 times the cost which I personally feel is not worth as compared to the result. For example - For a VW Polo a professional detail (interior & exterior) would cost you around 6k-7k where as an exteriro ceramic coat and interior detail would cost a whooping 20k!! The creamic coating guys offer a free touch up after 06 months.
I am in the same boat as yours, and here in Hyderabad we have multiple showrooms/franchises offering ceramic coating starting from Rs 18,000/- (opticoat) all the way till Rs 80,000/- (Ceramic pro )

From whatever i understood after speaking to different vendors, the price difference between different packages is purely based on the brand of product and number of coatings. The highest warranty is given by the "ceramic pro'' for a period of approximately 3 years and that with their top of the line platinum package. I shall list down experience with different franchises

1.CERAMIC PRO - Facebook Page link (https://www.facebook.com/SABOO-Ceram...2550013929479/)
By far they are the most expensive amongst others and "claim" to be the only original ceramic coating products in here. They offer 3 packages Silver, Gold and Platinum. They highlight that the cars become scratch proof and fire proof after the ceramic coating (you can see the videos on their facebook page). However the pricing is little too much for my liking for a car like Ford endeavour they quoted me Rs 45,000/- till Rs 80,000/- for the platinum package. They need the vehicle 3 days for the complete process to be finished. Going by the pictures and videos on the facebook page they are doing good number of cars and motorcycles. I am still not able to convince myself to spend that kind of money on this product

2.MOTORCOATS INDIA - Facebook page link (https://www.facebook.com/motorcoats/)
I was told they use products from japan for ceramic coating, I couldn't recall the brand at the moment. They have 7 layer, 10 layer and 13 layer package. Price raging from Rs 35,000- to Rs 45,000/-. They have franchises all over the India. I didn't clear answer from them regarding the brand of products they use. They call the ceramic coating as "NanoTech"

[b]3.[b] Ceramic coating from different vendors like Petes (they use chemical guys products to wax and polish + ceramic coat), couple of individual small scale enterprises using "opticoat" in the range of Rs 18,000 to Rs 20,000/-. They claim the effect will last upto an year.

With so many ceramic coat products in market, I am totally confused on what to do. Sometimes I doubt if all these products (irrespective of brand) do any work as they claim to be like scratch proof for years..etc or its just a marketing gimmick . On Other hand I feel rather than spending a considerable chunk on ceramic coating, its better to get vehicle detailed once in a while (2-3 times an year).

I would like to hear feedback on this latest fad in detailing industry i.e "Ceramic Coating" from experienced people here.
Old 8th November 2016, 13:16   #9951
Senior - BHPian

Personally if you ask me, I think such expensive coatings are not advisable for daily drivers, especially in big cities/crowded neighborhoods. Small dings, nicks, scratches are bound to happen, and touchup becomes necessary at every point.

For garage queens, small towns or highway only cars which see occasional usage, maybe worth it.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 15:11   #9952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Dear BHPians,

Apart from Microfiber Cloths (3M, Meguiar's) do you use any other cloth for washing &
For Dusting, I am not using Jopasu Duster, but an Air Blower which takes away high amount of dust that has accumulated over a period.
Thats actually a very safe and an effective method for getting rid of the dust.
Is your air blower a corded type or a cordless one? Im trying to find a cordless one as I dont have a power outlet anywhere near my parking.

Last edited by aparth : 8th November 2016 at 15:14.
Old 8th November 2016, 16:06   #9953
Senior - BHPian

Result of boredom and running out of panels to detail

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-j0i8ssm.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 17:38   #9954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
Is your air blower a corded type or a cordless one? Im trying to find a cordless one as I dont have a power outlet anywhere near my parking.
I have a Cord Type Blower, I use an Extension Box for this purpose.

I had used Jopasu Duster in the past, but it won't lift dust when the surface is treated with wax. This has happened on my brother's i20. Here Jospasu Won't Work, while the blower will easily remove dust.
Old 9th November 2016, 19:13   #9955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got the Japanese glass coating done on my last 2 cars. A Honda City and a Maruti Kizashi. I paid much more than your budget. The benefit I got was my car remained better than showroom. My Honda city got me a lakh more than an offer by the dealership and it sold in less than 24 hrs. It was sold after 8 years. My Kizashi was sold after 2.5 years for 4 lakhs more than the dealership offer. That too sold within 6 hrs of posting the ad in Quickr. If I had your budget I would have got for a coating which would be able to sustain in our Indian environment. The look of all the 3 coatings you have mentioned are different. You have not mentioned what is the color of your car nor the model. Paints of all cars are different. I would have chosen a coating which gave me the maximum shine, deepest gloss and maximum protection. Glass coatings are costly but have the candy gloss which I love.
Firstly, I do not know why you keep stressing on my budget. I do not have a budet. All I am trying to find out is how long do these coatings actually last?

I have a 2011 Polo 1.6 which is black and a 2015 Jetta which is toffee brown.

Quote:
Attachment 1574247

Attachment 1574248

The effect of the glass coating on the 8 year old Honda City I sold 4 years back.
The effect looks impressive. However, is this a pic of the car immediatly post the coating or is this the pic of the car 08 years after the coating?
Old 9th November 2016, 23:24   #9956
BHPian

Quote:
I will show you the look on my Black Kizashi after 2.5 years, which was just before selling it. It was glass coated after receiving its delivery and had the glass look at the time of selling it.
Attachment 1574746
Where did you get this coating done from and what did you pay?

My car is 6 months old now, would it make sense to go for such a treatment or is it only of value on a brand new car

Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 23:52   #9957
Distinguished - BHPian

While 3M has been a recent (5 years ago) entrant to the scene of car maintenance, and only now growing in popularity, I feel cars looked the best when owners took personal care of them.. it simply feels so even at a single glance. Car detailing centres are like McDonalds, they do it quick, it looks shiny and impressive and it needs little to no effort on our end other than forking over wads of cash, personal care is like a home-cooked vegetarian meal - its warm, inviting and its done with care over a longer time.

Due to lack of free-time I've no longer been able to care for my car for the past couple of years, but this was my routine during the time when I was a wee bit younger and a lot more free :

1) Hose down > The most important aspect of cleaning, water takes away the dust and grime and cleans the wheel-well, bumper and tyres.

2) A drop of shampoo > Here's the trick to not having to keep washing the suds away, use a drop.. does the job fantastically and leaves without a trace.

3) Wipe down > The 2nd most important aspect of cleaning, remember that whatever experience the folks at 3M or your car washer might have.. your hands work the best, atleast mine did. A careful, smooth wipe-down of all the water residue using absorbent sponge+microfibre.

4) Colin > A quick spray of Colin over the glass immediately after wipe-down and all the droplets vanish without a trace leaving glass shiny. I do this to the bonnet too, as the bonnet is the first point of observation in general.

5) Work the crevices > A fibre cloth over the grill, insides of the hatch, inside portions of head/tail lights, door sills and fog lamp area. Removes light deposits of dust, grime and water immediately.

6) Spray-on wax > Easy to apply as its liquid, just spray 6-7 times over a surface and wipe uniformly in an up-down motion for not more than a minute. Let it be wet and set dry. Again most emphasis on application over bonnet and roof.

7) Dashboard cleaning > Nothing special.. just a cloth that is lightly soaked that it wont streak with water, swipe once to remove dust, oils and other impurities.

8) Dashboard polish > Again as simple as it sounds, spray onto the dash and rub in circles lightly till it gets dissolved and blends with a shine. Use the cloth to finish-over the external side/rear protective cladding of the car after the interiors are done.

9) Interior once-over > A light cleaning with a damp cloth of the seats (P.U leather) and other bits and bobs like cabin lights, seat-belts (YES!), gear knobs and A/B pillars.

10) Soak the mats and set to dry in the sun and put it back.

Damage - about 2.5-3 hours when done in a relaxed manner with breaks inbetween, a slightly achy back & even more achy hands. Financial cost would be about a 100 bucks as most of the materials can be re-used for 3-4 months after a single purchase. I've written this more on the lines of a common, everyman accessible methods without having to purchase expensive detailing creams or German glass cleaners (which are a ripoff of the century may I add). I did this once in 4-5 weeks on average, with the rest taken care of by the hired help. Dare I say it looked 10x better than anything that even professionals or the service centre attempted, and the same thought was mirrored by even single person who saw the result.

I don't know what "professional detailers" protocols I've breached using this method but I do know that it works.. even keeping swirl marks at bay. It just kept me occupied.. like a creative outlet and it cost next to nothing to do. I say we should all do what feels right to us in terms of products, procedures and approach.. as long as the basics are adhered to anyway.
dark.knight is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 00:38   #9958
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
My car is 6 months old now, would it make sense to go for such a treatment or is it only of value on a brand new car
I feel that it could be of value on any age of car, but that it only makes sense if it is detailed to the extent of looking near-perfect before the treatment. So an older car is going to bear that additional cost.
Old 10th November 2016, 13:26   #9959
Senior - BHPian

Guys which is the best thing available in market for cleaning alloys/tyres? (if there is such a thing of course). If it has been discussed then please share the link.
Old 10th November 2016, 21:26   #9960
Senior - BHPian

What is the name of the Jap glass coating used or the details contact information ? This will help us do some research before opting for it.

I managed to snag 3 tubes of Opti Coat last year when it was announced that the consumer version was being discontinued and replaced by Optimum Gloss Coat.
Unfortunately, i wasted one tube when I opened it up to try and remove the factory air bubble. That tube has gelled up. The other tubes are fine. Ill be using them on my next car as I dont want to 'waste' it on my 5.5 year old car, it makes sense to save it for a new vehicle as it is the only 'permanent' consumer coating available and is no longer produced

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks