Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2016, 21:45   #9796
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
You can use an alcohol wipe to remove wax and sealant
Where does one buy these alcohol wipes from? Any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 16th June 2016, 21:53   #9797
BHPian

Can the regular wax (Turtle wax/ Formula 1) be used on the alloys and other chrome bits. I have a good quantity of both lying around, and would like to consume one of them before buying a dedicated metal polish. Also, what is the best way to clean the tyres and alloys? Right now, I am using my car shampoo (sonax) and a sponge.
Old 16th June 2016, 23:24   #9798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Where does one buy these alcohol wipes from? Any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks!
Sorry slightly wrong choice of words. I meant a wipedown with alcohol. You get small 100ml bottles of isopropyl alcohol aka 'spirit' used for cleaning skin before injections in most medical shops. This is the main ingredient in most wax stripping sprays. What you get is a 70% solution and you need to dilute it down to 30% or so (please search for the % on google)

After initial surface cleaning you can wipe down the painted surface with this on a microfibre and then polish or you can directly polish the surface. Mainly ensure that you do a wipedown with alcohol BEFORE applying the wax/sealant so that you have a completely clean surface for it to bond with
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 23:40   #9799
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Can the regular wax (Turtle wax/ Formula 1) be used on the alloys and other chrome bits. I have a good quantity of both lying around, and would like to consume one of them before buying a dedicated metal polish. Also, what is the best way to clean the tyres and alloys? Right now, I am using my car shampoo (sonax) and a sponge.
Clean alloys & tyres with a soft brush, water and a mild household detergent or even a car shampoo.

One can buy wheel cleaning brushes made specifically for this purpose. Do not use a hard brush it may strip off or scratch the protective coating.

Yes, you can use wax on clean alloy wheels. Just be sure to keep it away from the tyres, taking care to coat only the wheels with it. Wait for the wax to dry and wipe it off.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2016, 13:25   #9800
BHPian

Quick heads up guys - some hard-to-get products now on Amazon.in at superb prices!

Chemical Guys ; Mothers ; 303 ...browse and enjoy. Some of the prices are lower than the US retail prices
My picks:
303 Aerospace Protectant
Mothers Back to Black / california gold polish (pre wax application)
Decent Chemical Guys Range including Sasquatch Maximus MF and a few chemicals like wash and wax shampoo (Rs.349!!)

Amazon.in is really shining - Flipkart and Snapdeal aren't remotely close in offering renowned international brands apart from Meguairs.

PS: no association whatsoever with Amazon

Last edited by d_himan : 18th June 2016 at 13:27. Reason: Disclaimer
d_himan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2016, 15:14   #9801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Quick heads up guys - some hard-to-get products now on Amazon.in at superb prices!

Chemical Guys ; Mothers ; 303 ...browse and enjoy. Some of the prices are lower than the US retail prices
My picks:
303 Aerospace Protectant
Mothers Back to Black / california gold polish (pre wax application)
Decent Chemical Guys Range including Sasquatch Maximus MF and a few chemicals like wash and wax shampoo (Rs.349!!)

Amazon.in is really shining - Flipkart and Snapdeal aren't remotely close in offering renowned international brands apart from Meguairs.

PS: no association whatsoever with Amazon
Hey,

I was looking for a good shampoo for my car. How is chemical guys wash n wax. Also how is mothers pure polish. I already have amway silicone glaze to hide the scratches created by the dogs and also have Collinet 845 do you think this would help or do you think mothers scratch remover will help ?

Last edited by nik0502 : 18th June 2016 at 15:35.
Old 18th June 2016, 22:50   #9802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hey,

I was looking for a good shampoo for my car. How is chemical guys wash n wax. Also how is mothers pure polish. I already have amway silicone glaze to hide the scratches created by the dogs and also have Collinet 845 do you think this would help or do you think mothers scratch remover will help ?
Haven't used CG wash and wax, but is supposed to be good! For Rs.350, I think you can't go wrong. Check amazon.com/autogeek for detailed reviews.

The mothers and the meguairs range fight it out in the US with Mothers supposed to more consumer/DIY friendly. The pure polish is very mild, only gets rid of small scratches and mildly covers swirls. Main purpose is a pre-wax cleanser, removes older waxes and sealants well and creates a layer for wax/glaze to stick to. Mothers recommends a glaze as step 2 after polish and then carnauba wax post that - step 3. I'm not sure if Amway after pure polish would be suitable. Collinite 845, certainly.
Old 19th June 2016, 14:42   #9803
BHPian

Not sure if there is a thread already for this kind of issues but here is my doubt

what are the things that you should do once you take delivery of a new car for paint protection or anything ? I went to 3m and all they could offer was polish and wax or paint protection film.

So far I have washed my car once with a 3M carwash Shampoo and using a Jopasu for my daily maintenance which seem enough for now.

Is there a TODO list once you take delivery of a new car ?
Old 19th June 2016, 21:04   #9804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishore1984 View Post
Not sure if there is a thread already for this kind of issues but here is my doubt

what are the things that you should do once you take delivery of a new car for paint protection or anything ? I went to 3m and all they could offer was polish and wax or paint protection film.

So far I have washed my car once with a 3M carwash Shampoo and using a Jopasu for my daily maintenance which seem enough for now.

Is there a TODO list once you take delivery of a new car ?
I have a 5 month old Vento TSI toffee brown colour. I have not done any paint protection from any company. I use Jopasu duster to remove the dust, spray the car with ProKlear extreme liquid diluted in the required proportion and spray it on the panels, one at a time and wipe down with a good microfibre cloth. It gives a good shine. I wash the car when it is really dirty after driving in rain, I use 3M shampoo and hose it down and wipe with good microfibre cloth without much pressure. The car looks as good as new , with practically no swirls. I would polish the car using Meguiar's ultimate polish and apply Collinite once in 4-6 months. I have an orbital polisher and a Bosch pressure washer , making my job easier.
Old 20th June 2016, 07:58   #9805
Senior - BHPian

With the onset of monsoon, there is going to be lot of muck and dirt on the doors and the bonnet. Any quick tips to get these cleaned on daily basis since I wash my car once a week. Cannot wait for a week for the muck to be cleaned which otherwise I guess is difficult to clean if it gets dried.

Would getting a Formula 1 tar remover also help loosed the grime stuck on the doors?
Old 26th June 2016, 16:24   #9806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
With the onset of monsoon, there is going to be lot of muck and dirt on the doors and the bonnet. Any quick tips to get these cleaned on daily basis since I wash my car once a week. Cannot wait for a week for the muck to be cleaned which otherwise I guess is difficult to clean if it gets dried.

Would getting a Formula 1 tar remover also help loosed the grime stuck on the doors?
I think it's not worth the effort to clean the door/running board/hood everyday - just do it during your weekly wash.
And a tar remover strips all wax/sealant protection , so it is advised to use it sparingly.
Enjoy the monsoons - and keep the glass area clean for a safe drive.
Old 27th June 2016, 21:03   #9807
BHPian

How to remove the scratch mark from my polo GT TSI

Dear members,

On June 25, I noticed a minor scratch on left side of my flash red Polo GT TSI. Although the scratch is minor, it is looking very odd. My car is 3.5 months old.

I have asked some of my friends and fellow Team- Bhpians about the procedure to get rid of the scratch. I am really confused with so many advices I have received. I am a novice regarding these scratch removal and have no prior experiment. Some of the inputs I have received are:

1. To live with the scratch since it is very small
2. To use the fix it pen
3. To use the com-paint spray pen
4. To use nail-polish remover
5. To use a rubbing compound and wax
6. To get it touched up from a local painter, for which I have been quoted Rs. 1500 which I think is a tad bit high

Please suggest me what approach should I take. I do not want to mess the things up with the remaining paint while trying to removing this scratch.

I am attaching a photo of the scratch for your reference.

Regards

Saubhik
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-scratch.jpg  

Old 27th June 2016, 22:08   #9808
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How to remove the scratch mark from my polo GT TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingNirvana View Post
Please suggest me what approach should I take. I do not want to mess the things up with the remaining paint while trying to removing this scratch.
Given that your car is almost brand new, I would not spare the purse here, but rather get the scratch properly painted and matched to the surrounding paintwork.

The first vital thing is that the correct manufacturer's paints are used. Even a rough touch up with exactly the right colour makes small damage invisible to a casual look. But your car is new and needs some real skill lavished on it.

If it were me, I'd take it to the dealer.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 22:47   #9809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Given that your car is almost brand new, I would not spare the purse here, but rather get the scratch properly painted and matched to the surrounding paintwork.

The first vital thing is that the correct manufacturer's paints are used. Even a rough touch up with exactly the right colour makes small damage invisible to a casual look. But your car is new and needs some real skill lavished on it.

If it were me, I'd take it to the dealer.
Dear sir,

Thank you for your input. I am also thinking of taking it to the dealer. My car's first scheduled servicing is due in August, 2016. Would it be fine if I tell the dealership to attend the scratch during the scheduled servicing and learn to live with the scratch for these 1-2 month?

Regards

Saubhik
Old 27th June 2016, 23:49   #9810
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingNirvana View Post
Would it be fine if I tell the dealership to attend the scratch during the scheduled servicing and learn to live with the scratch for these 1-2 month?
I think it would be fine. No metal is exposed to rusting, and it is a very short time.

My sympathy for the injury to your beautiful car.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed