Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:33   #9766
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
In the 5 hours, was the key in the ignition? Were you listening to music? Was the key in the ACC mode?

5 hours with the key in ignition in ACC or ON mode will surely drain the battery.
During the five hour duration, the car remained unlocked. However, the ICE was no used, and even the steering remained locked.

The boot was also shut throughout, so the boot light was also not on (except for 5-10 mins when the boot was opened for cleaning).

Since the dashboard console & the ICE light up & work just fine, I assume the battery should be fine. Right?
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:36   #9767
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post
Since the dashboard console & the ICE light up & work just fine, I assume the battery should be fine. Right?
No those will light up with weak battery. It's the cranking that needs more juice form the battery. Do the headlights turn on and are they as bright?
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 13:30   #9768
BHPian

Quote:
No those will light up with weak battery. It's the cranking that needs more juice form the battery. Do the headlights turn on and are they as bright?
Let me check that once I get back home in the evening.

If the HL doesn't light up or is dim lit, seems I will have to get the battery removed & charged, right?
The car is on the inside of the parking lot, and jump-start doesn't seem like a practical option.
Old 23rd May 2016, 14:49   #9769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me check that once I get back home in the evening.

If the HL doesn't light up or is dim lit, seems I will have to get the battery removed & charged, right?
The car is on the inside of the parking lot, and jump-start doesn't seem like a practical option.
You can still jump start it there itself. Push method not required. Just call a battery guy and they will come with jumper cables and a spare battery and use that to start the car. after the engine is on, keep it running for a few minutes and then take it for a short spin. It should be sufficient
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 00:30   #9770
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car refuses to start, after a wash

Quote:
So I washed & waxed the car over the weekend (using the 2 bucket method).
As much as I'm delighted to see the car squeaky clean & smooth now, it refuses to start. Is this normal?
Upon ignition, the car just makes a consistent sound of it trying to start, but doesn't.

Any troubleshooting tips?

PS: Its a Hyundai Grand i10, equipped with the Start-Stop button.
Im sure its nothing to do with the washing of the car. I had the exact same problem as you. My i10 Grands battery gave up within 8 months and 10000 kms for no reason. Take the car to Hyundai and get it replaced under warranty.
Old 24th May 2016, 09:35   #9771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
You can still jump start it there itself. Push method not required. Just call a battery guy and they will come with jumper cables and a spare battery and use that to start the car. after the engine is on, keep it running for a few minutes and then take it for a short spin. It should be sufficient
Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't get a chance to check the ignition last evening, so will do it today.
If required, will opt for the battery jump start method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
Im sure its nothing to do with the washing of the car. I had the exact same problem as you. My i10 Grands battery gave up within 8 months and 10000 kms for no reason. Take the car to Hyundai and get it replaced under warranty.
Do you recollect which battery was supplied with the car? And which one did you get in replacement under warranty?
How many months/KMs have you covered after the replacement, and has the journey been smooth?
Old 29th May 2016, 00:04   #9772
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Did you by any chance wash the engine bay with water slashing on the parts without covering the inlet / outlet openings?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
Thank You guys for all your inputs.

So I was keeping unwell after my last post here a few days back, and since the car wasn't needed, it was taking rest, protected from the elements under the cover.

I got a chance to check on the car this morning, and all your suggestions were making rounds in my head while I was removing the car cover.
I pressed the Start-Stop button hoping for the best (that I won't have to call a battery shop guy, or a mechanic, or worse - the Hyundai ASS), and my prayers were heard. The engine fired up at the first crank, without any drama.
I did try to fire up the engine a couple of times later again, and the first attempt worked every time.

I'm still wondering what went wrong on Sunday, that the engine refused to fire up after the wash. I must have tried three-four times atleast.
Could it just be a case of the car/engine being too cold for a first-attempt start? But the day's technology is quite advanced for such drama, right?

Is there something I should be worried about, or should be checking for? Please advise.
Old 29th May 2016, 16:41   #9773
BHPian

Ceiling upholstery of our new Brezza has kind of become soft and wrinkly. They seemed to have tried a cleaning agent to remove a grease mark. Is there any way to stiffen it up again? The resin maybe had reacted and disintegrated. Why don't they know all these things after working on cars all their life. Ruined it!
Old 29th May 2016, 16:57   #9774
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there something I should be worried about, or should be checking for? Please advise.
There's nothing to worry about.

Service centres regularly spray the engine compartment with a medium pressure hose to clean dust and grime.

The important thing to remember is not to spray water directly on:

a) The alternator and its output terminal
b) The main fuse box (make sure the top is fixed correctly)
c) The ECU if present under the hood
d) Spark plug high tension coils or 'igniters' (fitted on the spark plug itself)
e) Air cleaner air inlet
f) Radiators (ac and engine cooling) fins can get bent affecting efficiency. These should be cleaned only with low pressure hoses and only if required.
g) Electrical connectors. Most have moisture proof connectors but they may not be water proof.

All these components have basic resistance to moisture or water ingress but using a pressure hose may defeat the water resistant design.

IF your car does not start after a wash it needs to be checked by the service centre.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 23:54   #9775
BHPian

Quote:
Thank You guys for all your inputs.

I'm still wondering what went wrong on Sunday, that the engine refused to fire up after the wash. I must have tried three-four times atleast.
Could it just be a case of the car/engine being too cold for a first-attempt start? But the day's technology is quite advanced for such drama, right?

This might go off-topic but I must share a similar experience with my Verna Fluidic. Months back my car refused to start,and this problem happened occasionally. First we checked the batteries but it was completely fine and after that the problem was finally zeroed down to Immobilizer malfunction.You can easily check this,by checking the immobilizer light( a small yellow key which comes in your instrument cluster when you turn the key to ON mode).If the problem repeats i.e. your car does not start check if the light is glowing or not.If not then its surely a problem with the immobilizer.The problem started in my case just after a wash and initially it was tolerable occurring once in a week or so but latter it used to happen to often.Finally went for full lock set change.
IndiaSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 11:23   #9776
BHPian

ok, if I tell you that I have gone through the 652 pages of this detailing guide here, you guys would find and dent me but I must admit that I am so confused and decided to ask the question anyway. Many of you may have already asked

yes, i did go through the idiots guide to a shiny car but still have some questions about regular maintenance of a new car. So, here it goes

1. For Daily maintenance I have a Jopasu Duster ready, but for instant bird poop Treatment, what shoud I do ?
2. Weekly DIY wash routine ? correct me if I am wrong

Wash with Shampoo and Dry in shade but how do you clean Mud ? just rub it with a wet MF cloth, does it affect the paint ?

and the final question

3. Routine detailing every month(though i would get a 3M detailing every six months), what is the order

wash
wax
sealant

I am taking the delivery of my car this week but don't know how I got entangled to this detailing guide for over 10 days now

here is what I have purchased so far

1. Jopasu duster
2. 3m MF cloth
3. 3M windshield cleaner
4. Jopasu Wash Mitt
5. 2 Buckets

things in my mind are wax and spraying cans

but still, an advise to my novice mind would be really helpful

thanks
kishore
Old 30th May 2016, 13:06   #9777
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishore1984 View Post
1. For Daily maintenance I have a Jopasu Duster ready, but for instant bird poop Treatment, what shoud I do ?
2. Weekly DIY wash routine ? correct me if I am wrong
Clean bird droppings at the earliest using plain water and a microfiber cloth.

Quote:
Wash with Shampoo and Dry in shade but how do you clean Mud ? just rub it with a wet MF cloth, does it affect the paint ?
Using a cloth, even a MF, could trap mud and scratch the paint. I clean caked mud using a hose and my bare hands. Once done I use a MF cloth to wipe dry.

Quote:
3. Routine detailing every month(though i would get a 3M detailing every six months), what is the order

wash
wax
sealant

I am taking the delivery of my car this week but don't know how I got entangled to this detailing guide for over 10 days now

here is what I have purchased so far

1. Jopasu duster
2. 3m MF cloth
3. 3M windshield cleaner
4. Jopasu Wash Mitt
5. 2 Buckets

things in my mind are wax and spraying cans
The correct order - wash, polish, clay, sealant and then wax. Remember wax is a sacrificial coating and must be reapplied every few weeks or months.

For a new car, just wash, clay or decontaminate, sealant and wax will do.

Depending on where you park the car wash it at least once a week and wash/wax (no sealant) every 6-8 weeks. If it is parked outside other than the daily wash do a wash/wax every 4-6 weeks. Waxes do NOT last for more than 2-3 months in our hot climate.

Once the paint and clear coat have hardened and the vehicle has spent a year or two months exposed to the elements then go in for detailing every 6-12 months. Detailing is supposed to make an old car appear new. It cannot make a new car appear any newer. If you know what I mean.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 13:09   #9778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishore1984 View Post
but for instant bird poop Treatment, what shoud I do ?
Some good articles on bird poop treatment:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-dropping.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-dropping.html
Old 30th May 2016, 15:13   #9779
BHPian

Hi guys it's almost been a month now that the xuv is home. Had body paint protection and anti rust coating from the dealership itself. I now plan on getting the silencer treatment and some good windshield UV protection from 3M in Bombay. Kindly advice best dealership, and if required what else needs to be done. Any details of the UV treatment will also be of good help.
Thanks in advance.
Old 30th May 2016, 16:53   #9780
Distinguished - BHPian

An instant-detailer spray is good for bird poo.

Never try to do anything about mud until you can do a full wash at home. You can live with it that long!

It is necessary to remove bird excrement, as decades of wonderful automobile and paint engineers have not yet managed to make a surface that is not damaged by stuff that falls out of the sky every day!

Really, I think this technical non-achievement is a pretty poor show, but it is where we are and we have to live it. Bird crap damages your paint.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks