Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2016, 00:21   #9646
Senior - BHPian

I was looking at buying a cordless polisher / buffer machine. Need experts advice on the machine and the pads to look at
Old 26th February 2016, 10:22   #9647
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

I have misplaced one of my microfiber towels I used for external cleaning

The usual practice is
Dust off dry dirt using Jopasu.
Spray 1 panel with water (usually use no cleaning agent)
Use an art. sheep wool glove to losen the dirt.
Use microfibre towel to pick up the dirt.
Use Chamois cloth to absorb the streaks.

The car was dusty after a long road trip. I didn't want to soil the other mircofiber towel I use for interiors.

I used 1 tea spoon of Genteel (mild cloth detergent) in 1L spray bottle. I need to tone down the detergent even more next time. May be just 3 drops of liquid detergent will be enough.

Sprayed it on 1 Panel at a time and used the wool glove to dislodge the grit, then use chamois to wipe off. It worked very well.
Chamois cloth was much filthier than usual (no intermediate microfibre)

I was still left with 100ml of soap water.. and I had to wash the spray bottle as I use for watering plant too.

Then eureka, Filled up 200 ml tap water and sprayed it on alloys and tire side walls and let the dirt just get rinsed off.

A car wash in 1.5 l of water once in 2 weeks.. not bad eh?

I have 1 question..
How to clean the gap between the glass and metal body on the hatch? Iuse the corner of the towel, will a used toothbrush work without putting scratches?

Last edited by freedom : 26th February 2016 at 10:24.
Old 26th February 2016, 15:30   #9648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
How to clean the gap between the glass and metal body on the hatch? I use the corner of the towel, will a used toothbrush work without putting scratches?
for smaller grooves and corners, have used ear buds or cotton balls. it has worked every time. this works for greasy dirt on beading corners as well. For salt formations nears badges and sharp corners on the door, used toothpick to great effect. Hope this helps.
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 16:26   #9649
BHPian

I cleaned the chrome plated logo on the boot panel and success is 90%.

Time spent - 10 mins, I was in a hurry actually.
Used - zorrick 88. Sprayed liberally on the logos , which had accumulated dust , stubbborn marks over 7 years. Left for 1 min.
Then agigated with a soft Colgate toothbrush for 2-3 mins.
Rinsed thoroughly with water .

Result :- 90% marks gone, chrome letters are shining as new. I feel, if you repeat this once more, you can achieve close to 100%.

Similar process can be used for glass edge cleaning, I have not tried though.
Amazing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 20:20   #9650

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrikhav View Post
planning to do first time detailing on my 9 month old honda city car.
following is the probable schedule :
1. wash with amway car shampoo. rinse and dry.
2. decontamination with Nanoskin autoscrub sponge and ultima waterless wash as clay lubricant.
3.polish with blackfire gloss enhancing polish.
4.final application of blackfire wet diamond all finish paint protection sealant.

few of my queries are :
1.should i wash the car again after decontamination with nanoskin before applying polish?
2. how much time should i wait between polish and sealant application? or it can be immediately applied after buffing of polish?
3. how to break the schedule? should i complete the whole procedure in single day or till decontamination on one day and polish and sealant on next day?
4. if divided in two days, should i wash the car on next day again before polish or simple dusting with jopasu duster will do?
please help me in above doubts.
thanks in advance.
someone in the forum, please advice for above queries.waiting for your valuable replies.
Old 27th February 2016, 21:54   #9651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrikhav View Post
someone in the forum, please advice for above queries.waiting for your valuable replies.
Hey I've used the BF twins and can say the result will leave you very impressed!
After decontamination it's a good idea to wash the car. I applied sealant almost as soon as I'd applied the polish. Don't remember waiting much.
As far as time between two coats of sealant I let it sit for a day before applying another coat.
It's a good idea to split the work between two days. Wash and decontaminate on day 1 and polish apply sealant the following day.
Hope it helps!

Last edited by shashank.nk : 27th February 2016 at 21:56.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 09:15   #9652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Hey I've used the BF twins and can say the result will leave you very impressed!
After decontamination it's a good idea to wash the car. I applied sealant almost as soon as I'd applied the polish. Don't remember waiting much.
As far as time between two coats of sealant I let it sit for a day before applying another coat.
It's a good idea to split the work between two days. Wash and decontaminate on day 1 and polish apply sealant the following day.
Hope it helps!
But wouldnt that mean that there will be dust on surface when we apply the sealant ?

I am worried since sealant dries quickly.

Any plausible way to remove that dust before we apply sealant ?
Old 1st March 2016, 15:23   #9653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
But wouldnt that mean that there will be dust on surface when we apply the sealant ?

I am worried since sealant dries quickly.

Any plausible way to remove that dust before we apply sealant ?
Yes there would be dust even if you have covered parking

Here's what I can think of for the following day:

1.Dust off using something like a Jopasu duster
2.QD the car
3.Wash with shampoo
Old 2nd March 2016, 18:27   #9654
Distinguished - BHPian

I've been known to rave about microfibre (often, and for every possible use!) but I never thought I'd be posting here about wax! I'm just too lazy for that!

Today was an exception. Having taken on a much-previously-loved car from a t-bhpian, I feel I should pay more attention to its looks than I usually do. There has been this tin of Meguiars Tech Wax 2 sitting around, barely touched, since I had my last car paint-treated, at new, by 3M, about four years ago. It even survived floating around in the flood. I decided it was time to give it a go.

It really is a long time since I have attempted to properly polish, or rather wax an entire car, and, back in London, in those days, one could choose between two kinds of products: those that didn't take much energy to use, and those that actually produced a shine, and that shine was directly proportional to the amount of muscle power applied (assuming that one was a casual car washer, not an enthusiast with a machine).

This TechWax stuff is neither of the above. it is very easy to apply; one waits for it to dry, and then it is very easy to remove and buff with a thick microfibre cloth. The beginner's mistake is putting too much, which does not improve the effect, but does make it harder work to get off again. Otherwise, it wipes off very easily, revealing a deep glossy shine as one goes. I haven't felt so amazed since the first time I ever made something out of gold, a material that I had previously thought over-rated, when I took the piece to the polishing wheel and watched the dull yellow metal leap into deep golden life.

The car looks like it just came from the showroom. Now I can understand why people like polishing deep-black cars!

The preparation was a simple wash and dry with a nameless carwash. It took some time, but, frankly, very little energy. With a thorough paint preparation first, I'm sure the result would be even more amazing.

Had been contemplating to minimum-work path to a long-term-shiny car: some sort of ceramic treatment. Frankly, if I can get this result, with not much work, and a bare beginner's skills, the fanciest treatments are just not worth it. Even I can do this once every month or two!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 19:10   #9655
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
With a thorough paint preparation first, I'm sure the result would be even more amazing.
If you had clayed the car (15mins), applied some swirl remover (Meguiars SwirlX), then applied this you would have been blown away.
Old 2nd March 2016, 20:28   #9656
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If you had clayed the car (15mins), applied some swirl remover (Meguiars SwirlX), then applied this you would have been blown away.
Yes, that might have resulted in perfection. Mind you, the paint work was in pretty good condition to start with. And, with just what I had in the house, the last of my diluted nameless shampoo (I keep it in a spray bottle), and the rediscovered wax, I am fairly much blown away!

I have some stuff on order. Shampoo and detailer from Optimum (ONR), and one of their cleaning blocks, which they claim to be the evolution of clay. The just-a-touch-of swirl on the bonnet has vanished, and the surface feels clean-glass smooth.

Guys: the car has rather nice original-VW rubber mats, which are slightly contoured and are a manufacturer-made perfect fit. Not thinking of changing them, but could I make them look new with some stuff meant for glossing tyres? They are black rubber.

Interiors...

Was going to look at the Diamondbrite Interior treatment, which claims major stain resistance, but Everbrite/Diamondbrite, although they still have a website up, do not seem to be reachable in Chennai.

Or, I happen to have one can of Sctochguard fabric protector. It claims to be enough for a sofa. Has anybody used it on fabric car upholstery? It is not so much general wear and tear dust, etc, that I am worried about as, for instance, the odd splash of tea

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 2nd March 2016 at 20:33.
Old 2nd March 2016, 20:42   #9657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys: the car has rather nice original-VW rubber mats, which are slightly contoured and are a manufacturer-made perfect fit. Not thinking of changing them, but could I make them look new with some stuff meant for glossing tyres? They are black rubber.
Just remove the mats and give it a nice scrub with diluted liquid soap / hand wash solution. Trust me, it will look as good as new. No point in wasting expensive stuff on mats as they will get dirty very soon once again.

OFF Topic : And congrats on your GT TDI !
Old 2nd March 2016, 21:27   #9658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Never ever use any polish or dressings on mats, they will make them slippery. Your feet will slip on them and might cause accidents or the mats will slip off, lodge against brake or accelerator pedal or something.
SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 22:22   #9659
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd wondered about that, but doesn't the same apply to tyres?

Anyway, thanks for the warning. Best to be cautious.
Old 2nd March 2016, 22:48   #9660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd wondered about that, but doesn't the same apply to tyres?
Tyre polish/dressers are applied on sidewalls so it would not interfere with the contact patch, even if it does, the polish on contact patch would get blown away within miles on our super dusty roads.

Congrats on your new Polo, do upload some pictures of the shining beauty. VAG have the best paint quality in this segment, the shine, depth, gloss is not even close in other hatchbacks. I also have a bottle of Tech wax 2.0 lying, time to try it on my black car. I personally love Collinite 845.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks