Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2015, 08:31   #9511
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Detailing gurus,

Need your help. Today morning while cleaning my Punto, found some burnt type marks on the rear left C pillar section. I tried using a rubbing compound, but the mark faded slightly and did not come off. There was no welding activity near the car neither was any wax material (Suspected candle flying of the house). What could be it? I suspect the paint has been damaged. Is there any way I can remove them using any detailing products??

Pic attached (taken from mobile, so pls excuse the quality)
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p_20151130_075505.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p_20151130_075512.jpg  

Old 30th November 2015, 09:08   #9512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
By AIO you mean a APC or the Klasse AIO or something similar?
sorry, i meant the Klasse AIO. i have never used an all purpose cleaner

Quote:
Is there any way I can remove them using any detailing products
Sorry to see this on your car. Maybe best to take it to your nearest detailing guy or a 3M outlet?

Last edited by FuelInjector : 30th November 2015 at 09:23.
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 11:30   #9513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Detailing gurus,
(Suspected candle flying of the house). What could be it? I suspect the paint has been damaged. Is there any way I can remove them using any detailing products??

More than the paint damage, I am worried about the location where this happened. How did someone manage to get a lit candle so close to fuel cap ?

The best option is to sand this area and do touch up and wax. Auto detailers will have ultralow coarse grits to do this fine work.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 11:49   #9514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
More than the paint damage, I am worried about the location where this happened. How did someone manage to get a lit candle so close to fuel cap ?
I am not saying someone lit a candle, just assuming that since it looked like burnt spots, the possible causes could be welding or some one carelessly tossing a candle which landed on the car and caused the burns.

But more surprising is that there was no smell maybe because it was not a recent one. Also the paint did not show any aberrations, it was quite smooth. Looks like the lacquer below the paint got burnt. But how that's a mystery.
Old 30th November 2015, 12:06   #9515
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like the lacquer below the paint got burnt. But how that's a mystery.
That's sad man!

Perhaps it's caused by a cigarette or a cigarette lighter?
Old 30th November 2015, 13:47   #9516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
sorry, i meant the Klasse AIO. i have never used an all purpose cleaner
Thanks. As suggested by someone, i ordered AutoFinesse Citrus Wash. Will try that and then with the BH Auto Wash. I hope this will not strip the Klasse SG.

If the above things doesnt work, will use AIO. How much AIO do you suggest in a bucket, let's say 3 litres of water?
Old 30th November 2015, 14:06   #9517
BHPian

Quote:
Detailing gurus,

Need your help. Today morning while cleaning my Punto, found some burnt type marks on the rear left C pillar section. I tried using a rubbing compound, but the mark faded slightly and did not come off. There was no welding activity near the car neither was any wax material (Suspected candle flying of the house). What could be it? I suspect the paint has been damaged. Is there any way I can remove them using any detailing products??

Pic attached (taken from mobile, so pls excuse the quality)
Did you park underneath any drainage pipes or under airconditioning equipment. Seems like some corrosive drips. However cannot explain how the surface is smooth.
Old 30th November 2015, 14:12   #9518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
How much AIO do you suggest in a bucket, let's say 3 litres of water?
normally one capfull for a 3/4th bucket. in terms of metrics and if you have a spray container - lets say ~50 ml for 1ltr (i guess). you can then shake/spray and wipe off.
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 09:11   #9519
BHPian

Recently saw something called always dry on FB. And they claim resistance to water and mud. Does this product work?

Does anyone do this treatment in Bangalore and how much would it cost?
Old 8th December 2015, 15:30   #9520
RAC
BHPian

Hi
An accidental spay with the water hose into a bowl of enamel paint (the type used to paint gate, window grill, doors, etc) kept near the car lead to spots of paint all over the rear door and back panel. The car has gone through a couple of washes and the paint splash marks are still visible. How can I remove the marks? Will wiping the car panels with cloth dipped in thinner work?
Old 8th December 2015, 16:10   #9521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
Hi
An accidental spay with the water hose into a bowl of enamel paint (the type used to paint gate, window grill, doors, etc) kept near the car lead to spots of paint all over the rear door and back panel. The car has gone through a couple of washes and the paint splash marks are still visible. How can I remove the marks? Will wiping the car panels with cloth dipped in thinner work?
Please DO NOT use thinner for multiple spots. Maybe you should take it to a nearby detailing shop or 3M outlet and get their advise.
if its a single spot, its a much easier DIY.
Old 8th December 2015, 18:20   #9522
BHPian

Quote:
Hi
Don't even think of applying thinner. You will have to do proper sanding with a rubbing compound. These marks should only be on the clear coat so can be removed.
Old 9th December 2015, 10:52   #9523
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi
Do not use any chemicals.
You can try using a clay bar. I think an aggressive clay bar could help remove those spots, this can be followed by polishing and then an application of a sealant.
Old 9th December 2015, 16:09   #9524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Do not use any chemicals.
You can try using a clay bar. I think an aggressive clay bar could help remove those spots, this can be followed by polishing and then an application of a sealant.
I have tried using clay of all sorts but it doesn't work. But an aggressive rubbing compound will.
Old 9th December 2015, 16:22   #9525
BHPian

Picking up a new car this Saturday and checked with a local detailer about options.
One of them was ceramic polishing at a cost of Rs11K. Detailer says keeps mirror finish for 2 years or more.
Has anyone applied this type of finish? Is it worth the money (colour of car is dark grey).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks