Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2015, 18:39   #9451
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

I ordered the Amway LOC. Will try it next week.
Looks like an amazing product!

Has anyone tried motomax products?
Seem pretty inexpensive to me and also it is made my Pidilite industries which is a big and reputed brand.

http://www.motomax.in/home_car.aspx
Old 31st October 2015, 18:53   #9452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
What would be the best DIY method to retain/ restore the plastic door trims/ mouldings?

The ones on our cars look dirty and stained. Elbow grease with car shampoos have not made much of a difference to the car other than me having aching arms.
You can try the trim restorers available in market. Be sure to clean the plastic part before applying trim restorer.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 19:33   #9453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
You can try the trim restorers available in market. Be sure to clean the plastic part before applying trim restorer.
Thanks.

1. Any recommendations based on first hand experience?

2. Any "home remedies"?
Old 1st November 2015, 23:40   #9454
Distinguished - BHPian

My query to all the detailing experts out there- Is Collinite 845 a sealant or a wax?? This is something which has been confusing me since a very long time.

Many posts here speak of C845 as a sealant, while the product itself advertises it as an 'Insulator WAX".

Secondly, we speak of C845 as being the most durable wax/sealant(??), if it is so, then shouldn't it be applied directly on paint surface, rather than applying it as a sealant over some other wax?? If there is already a wax in between the two, then the durability of C845 will be dependant on the bonding strength of the inner lying wax.

I am very badly confused regarding the correct application of Collinite 845. Kindly help me out.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 23:52   #9455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
My query to all the detailing experts out there- Is Collinite 845 a sealant or a wax?? This is something which has been confusing me since a very long time.

Many posts here speak of C845 as a sealant, while the product itself advertises it as an 'Insulator WAX".
Does it really matter? IMHO it works, it gives a great shine and lasts long. I don't care if they call it pumpkin spice latte instead of wax. Results should speak, not names.

Quote:
Secondly, we speak of C845 as being the most durable wax/sealant(??), if it is so, then shouldn't it be applied directly on paint surface, rather than applying it as a sealant over some other wax?? If there is already a wax in between the two, then the durability of C845 will be dependant on the bonding strength of the inner lying wax.

I am very badly confused regarding the correct application of Collinite 845. Kindly help me out.
Please go through the below thread. It will have answers to all your questions.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ndary-wax.html
SunnyBoi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 09:12   #9456
BHPian

Quote:

Secondly, we speak of C845 as being the most durable wax/sealant(??), if it is so, then shouldn't it be applied directly on paint surface, rather than applying it as a sealant over some other wax??
A small correction here, sealants are not applied over a wax but its the other way around and is an optional step.

I would never apply 845 over a wax for sure.

Rest, as sunny put it nicely.The million dollar question is, does it really matter as long as the product works .

Quote:
Thanks.

2. Any "home remedies"?
1) Checkout Sonax trim restorer or back to black.
2) Detailing community here will kill me for this but let me say it anyway. People have used peanut butter with good result. May not last long, but it seems to do the trick.

Last edited by linuxmanju : 2nd November 2015 at 09:16.
linuxmanju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 09:26   #9457
BHPian

Quote:

2. Any "home remedies"?
Could you take a close up snap of the trim and post it? Just to get an idea of how bad it is.

1. Clean thoroughly with Amway LOC (or any APC of your choice) and apply STP Son of a Gun.

2. Olive Oil? I'm not sure though
RiGOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 13:12   #9458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.

2. Any "home remedies"?
1. You may try PERL

2. No idea.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 23:49   #9459
Senior - BHPian

I ordered Resqtech 8 litre hand pump car washer through Amazon and received the package in the morning. Since I had to leave for work, I had to postpone the package opening ceremony to the night.

Opened the package, tried out the pump and then went out after dinner for the field trial. The pump was filled up till about 75% or so of its total volume - not sure if it was exactly 8 litres or a little plus/minus.

Washed two sedans with the water using the soft brush attachment and used the microfibre cloth provided to wipe the cars dry.

Overall impressions about the pump:

1. Capacity - I still had sufficient water left to body-wash the little Nano after finishing the Accord and the Ikon, so the capacity is definitely very very good. Note this was only a body wash and not a detailed wash through all the crevices between doors and under the hood - if you carry out a thorough wash through all the nooks and crannies, you may end up with one sedan and one hatchback.

2. Weight - With the tank filled up with water, I had no problem carrying it down two flights of stairs or lug it around the cars. Pumping action is easy and does not feel tiring even after pumping for about 25 times in quick succession.

3. Pressure - Obviously you can't expect pressure equal to what a dedicated service station has, but the available pressure is good to wash dirt and loose debries from the crevices. The first test was on the bathroom floor and the spray was strong enough to wash the grime away from between the tiles.

4, Attachments - I could only try the soft brush, as I screwed it on too tightly and could not remove it afterwards with wet hands. The spray pattern in the soft brush is two jets on each side - left and right. The brush has soft bristles which can clean the nooks and crannies very well (read - the gaps between the rubber beading and glass, window sills, mirror housing, front grill, around headlights and tail lights and so on. There is another nozzle (garden variety?) which produces a narrow jet or a fine mist. I have yet to try the narrow jet on the engine bay - it should be particularly useful to clean the backside of the Nano headlights - something the A.S.S. always forgets to wash.

Price: I am paying around 350/- per car to the car wash guy. With two cars, the monthly outgo is 700/- I shall recover the investment in around three months' time as the pump cost me a little under 2200.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 10:28   #9460
BHPian

Water beading with Klasse AIO + KSG + 1 layer of Collinite 845 slapped exactly 9 weeks back. Car was washed, clayed and then these were applied.

Car is a daily driver - parked in (Chennai) sun at office and covered basement at home. I have not shampoo washed the car from the time it was waxed. Only used Jopasu and 3 rinseless washes using Garry Dean method - plus few QD sessions.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20151103_181313330.jpg
hyper-VTEC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 10:32   #9461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Water beading with Klasse AIO + KSG + 1 layer of Collinite 845 slapped exactly 9 weeks back. Car was washed, clayed and then these were applied.

Car is a daily driver - parked in (Chennai) sun at office and covered basement at home. I have not shampoo washed the car from the time it was waxed. Only used Jopasu and 3 rinseless washes using Garry Dean method - plus few QD sessions.

Can you share how you applied KSG? How long did you leave it to dry before you buffed it off?
Old 4th November 2015, 10:42   #9462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Can you share how you applied KSG? How long did you leave it to dry before you buffed it off?
Applied by hand using foam applicator, left to haze for 20-25 mins and buffed with a MF. Let the KSG cure for 24 hours and topped it with 845.
Old 4th November 2015, 10:53   #9463
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Applied by hand using foam applicator, left to haze for 20-25 mins and buffed with a MF. Let the KSG cure for 24 hours and topped it with 845.
Thanks. Somehow i have not be able to get a hang of applying the KSG . Will try your method next time!

BTW, the beading is excellent. I suggest you top it with another layer of collinite before the existing collinite layer wears off!
Old 4th November 2015, 11:44   #9464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Thanks. Somehow i have not be able to get a hang of applying the KSG . Will try your method next time!

BTW, the beading is excellent. I suggest you top it with another layer of collinite before the existing collinite layer wears off!
Yes. I have to wash the car (shampoo) this week after the rains in Chennai, now it is beyond rinseless or waterless wash eligibility.

I just got a bottle of CG Blitz Spray Sealant. Was thinking of applying that and then lap up a coat of 845.
Old 4th November 2015, 11:55   #9465
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I have to wash the car (shampoo) this week after the rains in Chennai, now it is beyond rinseless or waterless wash eligibility.

I just got a bottle of CG Blitz Spray Sealant. Was thinking of applying that and then lap up a coat of 845.
Those two wont bond. Reverse the order. First collinite and then spray sealant after collinite has cured

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks