Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2020, 00:24   #10951
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
Guys is iron decontamination worth it for a silver car ? My car is nearing 5 so was planning a detailing session and wondered if its worth the Rs 500-700 or use that somewhere else ?
I would suggest the following decontamination protocol for a 5 year old car.
The color of the car doesn't matter. The process remains the same for all cars too.

1. A clay bar/ Clay block/ Clay towel to remove the on surface contaminants. Car pro Detailing clay block is my go to product for this purpose. It is reusable after a proper wash even if it falls on the ground.

2. A tar remover to remove any stubborn tar marks or glue marks on the paint surface and on the wheels. Turtle wax Bug and tar remover is my go to product for this use. Simple and easy to use.

3. An Iron remover (Iron decontamination) for the embedded Iron particles on your car surface and the accumulated brake dust on the alloy wheels. Sonax Xtreme wheel cleaner is my go to product.

4. A Mineral Deposit Remover (MDR) to take out all the hard water marks around the badges, nooks and crannies. Optimum MDR is my go to product for this purpose.

5. A good APC to clean the engine bay and also the tires will clean up the car real good. Sonax Multistar is my go to product for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Isn't that only done for such things as ceramic coating, where the surface must be as good and clean as possible? Anyway, it doesn't seem much money within the context of a complete detailing exercise.
That is a false notion.
Decontamination protocol is necessary for a coated as well as a non coated car.
The usage of the above listed products ma be much lesser for a car with professional grade ceramic coating on it.

And also there are safer decontamination products for ceramic coated cars resulting in longer life for the coating.

Last edited by johannskaria : 30th July 2020 at 00:35.
johannskaria is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 04:40   #10952
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
That is a false notion...
Thanks for the correction: much appreciated.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 10:13   #10953
Senior - BHPian

Meguairs Metal Polish; This gives me brilliant results every-time. Needed a new tube, so any place I can get the original? It's out of stock mostly
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_5187.jpg  

Old 2nd August 2020, 10:23   #10954
BHPian

Hi all,
A new member here. I have gone through this beautiful thread. Could some please post a summary for a quick daily care routine for a new car (White Creta 2020) as I couldn't find in the recent past. There may be some development in the car care products. Initial posts gives information about quite old products that may not be available now.
Old 2nd August 2020, 10:56   #10955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster1008 View Post
Could some please post a summary for a quick daily care routine for a new car (White Creta 2020) as I couldn't find in the recent past.
You should go through following thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ean-shiny.html (Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny)
Simhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:18   #10956
BHPian

Quote:
Could some please post a summary for a quick daily care routine for a new car (White Creta 2020) .
I am assuming that the vehicle is non coated

Product reccomendation :-

1.Jopasu duster for dusting daily(Only light dust)

2.Carpro Ech02/Optimum wash & wax for waterless/rinseless wash (Lightly soiled car )

3.Sonax Gloss Shampoo / Turtle ICE series / Gyeon Bathe shampoo for regular washing.

4.Microfiber towels(Amazon basics /Strongdry/Softspun ) any brand will do. Use seperate towels for drying and buffing.

5.Good quality wash mitt like Carpro Handwash or any other brand for body . For tyres either use a low quality wash mitt or a tyre brush.

6.Carpro PERL for plastics,rubber.

Regime followed by me:-

1.Waterless wash -1st weekend of every month.

2.Use Jopasu duster every following weekend to remove any light dust .

3.Regular wash every 3rd weekend.

If car is heavily soiled then I wash it on the same day or next day.

Avoid the body cover if the vehicle is soiled. It will induce marring and swirls.

All products are available online. I will list a few websites from where you can place an order

1.Greenz Car Care
2.Detailedclean.in
3.Carpowergrid
4.Autofresh.in
6.KKE Autocare
7.Amazon.in

Please note I have no affiliation with any of the brands or websites listed above.
Artyom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 12:13   #10957
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,
A new member here. I have gone through this beautiful thread. Could some please post a summary for a quick daily care routine for a new car (White Creta 2020) as I couldn't find in the recent past. There may be some development in the car care products. Initial posts gives information about quite old products that may not be available now.
You will surely get plenty of useful information on how to take care of the vehicle in here. I am going to tell you something very simple and practical.

1. Do NOT clean your car every day. If it is dusty just use a microfiber towel and lightly dust it off. Remove the carpet and dust it off if needed - that's it daily routine done.

2. Buy a waterless wash that has wax in it, use it as per the instructions once a week. Use a mild interior cleaner to wipe of the interior.

3. Once in 6 months of whenever the paint starts feel rough, use a cream polish / cleaner wax.

That's it. You can check out my own vehicle in my thread after this routine for 6 years and it's white.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 14:04   #10958
BHPian

Below is a before and after picture of an engine bay. This was sent by one of the detailer in Mumbai, which I am going to give a try tomorrow.
Engine dressing makes more sense during such times when we are not going to drive our cars more often.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img20200802wa00152.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img20200802wa00142.jpg  

VWAllstar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 17:51   #10959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Meguairs Metal Polish; This gives me brilliant results every-time. Needed a new tube, so any place I can get the original? It's out of stock mostly
You may also try Sonax Chrome and Aluminium paste.
Works really well imo
johannskaria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 20:47   #10960
BHPian

A very interesting DIY to make a regular hand held sprayer into an Foaming Machine:

What do you guys think?
madbullram is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 20:59   #10961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
You will surely get plenty of useful information on how to take care of the vehicle in here. I am going to tell you something very simple and practical.
Thank you !
I like this kind of minimalistic approach and have started following similar method recently on my two month old car.

After getting 'enlightened' by this thread, first thing I did was to stop the car cleaning guy and take things under my control. Hopefully his contribution of swirls and microscratches will be minimal !

Now, I have started using rinseless wash method with ONR Wash and Shine weekly once , thanks to the steps listed by @johannskaria in one of his earlier posts in this thread. It cleans well and provides a nice shine. It also works even for the glass, plastic and the alloys to ward off the fine dust accumulated over a weeks time and gives a clean look.

I would like to add a waxing component to my cleaning schedule, again, something in the spirit of keeping it simple and practical. Would a spray wax qualify for this method ? Which one I can buy to use after ONR wash ? and what should be the frequency of using it ?
mankuthimma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 22:57   #10962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post

I would like to add a waxing component to my cleaning schedule, again, something in the spirit of keeping it simple and practical. Would a spray wax qualify for this method ? Which one I can buy to use after ONR wash ? and what should be the frequency of using it ?
The final wipe of waterless wash can be replaced with a spray or two of spray wax per panel - only if it's a spray on and wipe off type product. They do work well if the paint is clean enough and very easy to use.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 08:29   #10963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
I would follow a different approach here:-

1.ONR Wash and wax offers some protection but its more of a sacrificial layer. Topping it with a spray wax which is more durable does not make sense and it won't stay either.

2.Instead after a full wash and drying cycle use a spray wax like Turtle Ice and Shine or Sonax Bsd which will form a base layer of protection. To maintain it use ONR.

3. Spray waxes would easily offer a minimum of 2 months or more protection in our conditions. The same would be extended by use of ONR W&W.

4. The spray waxes are wipe-on wipe off which can be applied every 2 to 3 months depending.

5. Ceramic spray sealants are also available in a wipe-on wipe off form which offers more protection than waxes with the same effort and is worth considering.

Last edited by Artyom : 4th August 2020 at 08:52.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 21:47   #10964
BHPian

Hey guys, Turtle Wax on Amazon has the usual Ice Seal and Shine but it also has something called the Ice spray detailer.

Could you tell me what the difference is?

Also Megiuars Hot Rims is out of stock on Amazon, is Turtle wheel and tyre cleaner as good?
Old 5th August 2020, 22:05   #10965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Hey guys, Turtle Wax on Amazon has the usual Ice Seal and Shine but it also has something called the Ice spray detailer.

Could you tell me what the difference is?

Also, Megiuars Hot Rims is out of stock on Amazon, are Turtle wheel and tyre cleaner as good?

Ice spray detailer is a quick detailer used for cleaning in between washes.

Not vfm in my opinion.

You can make your own Quick detailer using ONR W&W which is more economical.

Seal and Shine is a dedicated spray sealant to be applied after correcting the paint for protection.

Turtle wheel and tyre cleaner is a good product.

You can also look at Sonax Xtreme Wheel Cleaner as an alternate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks