Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2020, 22:53   #10981
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
Any product you recommend for alcohol based detailing panel wipe.
Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
You can use IPA solution diluted or undiluted which is generally available at chemist shops.

However there are dedicated products for that as well like Gyeon Q2m Prep and similar offerings from other brands.

Both will accomplish the same task.
Carpro Eraser is a better choice over Gyeon Prep as its way less expensive. It works great as well. I don't think there will be any quality difference between the both which can justify the price difference.

However, if choosing a chemist store, be very vigilant and check out the ingredients as you want it to be as pure as possible. In pharmacies, I realised we don't get pure IPA easily. But if we do manage to, it'll be much economical than these branded panel wipes.

To avoid all that fuss of trying several shops and searching, I went ahead with CarPro Eraser. It does have a strong scented fragrance though. It's not a negative point, but some people can be sensitive and hence I mentioned.

I also heard that these alcohol panel wipes double up as great glass cleaners.

Hope that helps.
saisailendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 23:41   #10982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
My car had not moved in the last 3 weeks. I checked it out today and the backseat is full of mold, and I can see few spot developing on front passenger seat. Luckily the drivers seat is spotless and clean. Is there a way to turn it around? Any car spa you guys would suggest in Bengaluru? Or a doorstep car cleaning service? These are standard Maruti fabric seats.
I would suggest get the interiors cleaned by 3M as the package includes deep cleaning.

Although you can do the cleaning yourself using the same product by 3M or Turtle wax but these guys will do a thorough job IMHO.

Additionally park your vehicle in direct sunlight for sometime every week to get rid of any moisture build up within the cabin.

Regular vaccum cleaning can also help to a great extent.

I have tried both options and they do seem to work especially on fabric seats.
Old 9th August 2020, 23:42   #10983
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My car had not moved in the last 3 weeks. I checked it out today and the backseat is full of mold, and I can see few spot developing on front passenger seat.
If possible remove the seats , keep them in the hot sun for a while ,or at least park the car under the hot sun with the doors open. (Today I couldn't find any hot sun in Bangalore all day).

You can clean it up with normal household cleaners like Colin. Spray it nicely and wipe off. Wear a mask of course.
Old 10th August 2020, 07:55   #10984
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest get the interiors cleaned by 3M as the package includes deep cleaning.
Guess I'll do this. Closest 3M is the one at Ambalipura, Sarjapur which has been getting some negative reviews off late. Is the HSR one better? Or do the cars with teambhp stickers get nicer treatment? 😁

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
(Today I couldn't find any hot sun in Bangalore all day)
I've been praying for a dry and shiny day too.
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 08:46   #10985
Senior - BHPian

Same issue here. I had the powerful vacuum (Dyson V10, in this case), pull out all that. Then I mixed some dettol and vinegar in 10 parts water to wipe it off. Aired it for a day. Finished off with an interior cleaning foam. 3M charges Rs. 1500 for 'spot-cleaning'. They say it removes germs and bacteria, not sure
Quote:
Guess I'll do this

Last edited by Sebring : 10th August 2020 at 08:48.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 10:39   #10986
BHPian

Quote:
Closest 3M is the one at Ambalipura, Sarjapur which has been getting some negative reviews off late. Is the HSR one better.
I usually don't go by the reviews entirely.

I believe if you get the work done in front of you then the chances of you getting a shoddy job are close to nil.

This goes for any service for that matter.

Most of the reviews I see are from customers who leave their vehicle and expect the centre to give an exceptional level of service which does not happen sadly.

Best would be to visit the closest one and talk to them and gauge if they are worth else go to the second closest.

Telling them that you are a TeamBHP member does add some weight provided the centre really cares about customer service.
Old 11th August 2020, 10:08   #10987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisailendra View Post
In pharmacies, I realised we don't get pure IPA easily. But if we do manage to, it'll be much economical than these branded panel wipes.
Quote:
You can use IPA solution diluted or undiluted which is generally available at chemist shops.
Thanks for reply.

Planning to get below one for IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol), is this okay.
Is the below sequence correct?
a. Meguiar's Polish
b. IPA
c. Meguiar's WAX

Planning to use IPA near Roof,bonnet, doors and boot.
Can someone please advise me on right ratio for this mix with water.

Thanks,
Old 11th August 2020, 14:44   #10988
BHPian

The sequence seems to be correct.

For the IPA solution I think 1:5 is a safe option(IPA : Distilled Water)

But let other members also confirm.

Thats what I used long time back.
Old 11th August 2020, 15:27   #10989
Distinguished - BHPian

Contrary to advice received almost everywhere, I have never found it easy to get IPA from local pharmacies! I got some from a local electronics shop. It didn't smell pure. My wife got a 5-litre can of better stuff through a contact, which, even through covid days, is still half full 5.5 years later.

I have no idea how much the impurities matter? It's possible that some are added to make it small bad so that it is even more obvious that this stuff is absolutely not for human consumption.
Old 11th August 2020, 16:27   #10990
BHPian

Can we use Ethyl Alcohol instead of IPA for wipe downs? I got a can of pure Ethanol (not denatured, can drink diluted) from a lab to make home made sanitizers during the initial lockdown period when sanitizers were out of stock. I have a few liters still lying around and was wondering if I can use it in diluted form instead of IPA?
Old 11th August 2020, 18:59   #10991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Can we use Ethyl Alcohol instead of IPA for wipe downs?
I theoretically can't answer your question, but I have a practical solution. Just wipe a little bit of ethyl alcohol on the paint surface and see it under light. If it evaporates clean and quick without leaving a residue, then it'll serve the purpose of detailing. If it does leave some streaks behind, then you're better off without it.
saisailendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 13:48   #10992
BHPian

Had ordered a few things for my ~ 5 years old car.

1. Turtlewax shampoo - Tried on my other car and its a good VFM buy and just 273 for the bottle.

2. Turtlewax hybrid ceramic spray sealent- This is so easy to apply that I'll prob never buy paste waxes again. Spray-on products have come a long way. Gives a nice gloss and water beading. I did not prep the paint properly with my megs polish this time and with a better prepped paint will work even better. Can be used without worry of getting it on beadings, glass etc with no hazing like wax. It bonds well with paint only though. Company claims it will last 12 months so lets see how it lasts in the dusty NCR. Thanks to the BHPian for recommending this to me. Worth the 1850 i paid for it.

3. Turtlewax trim restorer - Less stickier than the 3M one i used before this and gives a better gloss too. Tried on half the dash and a few parts outside and you can see a good difference. Well worth the buy for people with black bumper parts and claddings. Unlike 3M the shine has stayed on for a week now and the parts are still black.

I will check the longevity over time as i just used them last week but so far so good.

Ordering a proklear degreaser and cleaner for properly cleaning the dash to use trim restorer for black plastic parts soon.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20200812_132547.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20200812_132907.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20200809_102110.jpg  

Last edited by Mr. Nobody : 12th August 2020 at 13:50.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 23:46   #10993
BHPian

Hey guys, I ordered Turtlewax Carnuba wash and wax (as my regular 3m shampoo is exhausted) but it says 14 days for delivery (weirdly things like Seal n Shine was delivered in 48 hours) and car needs a cleaning tomorrow, so picked up Sonax wash and wax, any one here used this product? Is it good?
Old 16th August 2020, 00:28   #10994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Hey guys, I ordered Turtlewax Carnuba wash and wax (as my regular 3m shampoo is exhausted) but it says 14 days for delivery (weirdly things like Seal n Shine was delivered in 48 hours) and car needs a cleaning tomorrow, so picked up Sonax wash and wax, any one here used this product? Is it good?
You can use any Sonax Product eyes closed.Sonax Wash and wax is no exception.Its really good.

Maybe the seller is different for Turtle wash & wax and for Seal and Shine.
Old 16th August 2020, 00:41   #10995
BHPian

Quote:
You can use any Sonax Product eyes closed.Sonax Wash and wax is no exception.Its really good.

Maybe the seller is different for Turtle wash & wax and for Seal and Shine.
Thanks, thought as much.

I order from the main TW portal on Amazon but yeah I guess the suppliers are different

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks