Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2017, 20:37   #10231
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
I was able to find tech wax in amazon, but the price is double of what you said!!! 1900+ Should I wait for scheme/coupon or maybe some other site ?
Meguiar's NXT range is a former top-of-the-line synthetic wax and wash range of products that have now been discontinued.

You'll get them while stocks last and prices will probably go up in the interim. The successor, Meguiar's Ultimate range, is even more expensive.

If you are looking alternatives try Sonax, 3M or the least expensive of all, Formula 1.
Old 12th September 2017, 21:08   #10232
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Get Mcguire tech wax 2, 1000 odd bucks and very easy to apply and buff. Great shine and decent protection for about a month.
This was the best from Meguiars quite a while back. It has since then been replaced by Ultimate wax which is overall more long lasting and is also safe on plastic panels i.e. doesn't make them white.

From my experiments with Tech wax, Ultimate wax, Collinite 845 I found Ultimate the best followed Collinite then Tech wax 2.0. In terms of finish post wax as well as longevity.

However in terms of gloss and depth the best is a Carnauba wax like Chemical guys butter wax, Mothers carnauba wax or Meguiars M26. I tried M26 and was very surprised with the gloss.

The best combo is to use a sealant like Ultimate or Tech wax 2.0 and then apply Carnauba to get the gloss and depth in paint.

Quote:
I was able to find tech wax in amazon, but the price is double of what you said!!!
1900+ !
Should I wait for scheme/coupon or maybe some other site ?

Meguiar's G12711AM NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 Paste (311 ml) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00QKI3P6C/..._36-TzbQEXE3CP
Other brands to consider are Collinite 845 or Mothers or Chemical guys Jet Seal.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 13th September 2017 at 20:40.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 21:22   #10233
Distinguished - BHPian

Collinite 845 on my SX4 beading water beautifully:

I have not observed the same level of beading when I tried Meguiars M21 sealant. However, the Meguiars makes the surface ultra smooth for a couple of weeks at least. I am yet to see the actual durability of the two. For now, my Celerio gets M21 and the SX4 gets Collinite . Gloss wise, I feel its the M21 that gives a deeper gloss. But thats just my feeling since I have not done a side by side comparison on the same paint.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 21:54   #10234
Senior - BHPian

Here's me having fun with a pressure washer and a blower on an extremely dirty car wearing mothers wax. Washing is so much fun

SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 22:23   #10235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Here's me having fun with a pressure washer and a blower on an extremely dirty car wearing mothers wax. Washing is so much fun
Aahaa ! Someone who uses a pressure water at home. I don't know if you have any experience with ResQtech's portable pressure washer that runs out of the power from the car's cigarette lighter receptacle. If you have come across, can you tell me how effective it is when compared to the conventional pressure washer systems?

I do not have access to running soft water at my apartment, and have to use only the bubble top cans. So the ResQtech's portable solution with a 25L water tank sounds ideal. But a bit worried about the pressure it can produce and the effectiveness to clean the car.

The product I am talking about - https://www.amazon.in/ResQTech-Liter...words=resqtech
Old 12th September 2017, 22:49   #10236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I do not have access to running soft water at my apartment, and have to use only the bubble top cans. So the ResQtech's portable solution with a 25L water tank sounds ideal. But a bit worried about the pressure it can produce and the effectiveness to clean the car.

The product I am talking about - https://www.amazon.in/ResQTech-Liter...words=resqtech
This is the volume of water I get from my hose. pretty much useless.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20170830_091621.jpg

My pressure washer can suck water from a bucket. I wait 20 mins for the bucket to fill up then spend 3 minutes rinsing the whole car. If you plan and use the pressure washer judiciously, you can finish rinsing whole car with a 10L bucket of water or even less.

I have no idea how that resqtech thing works, it has 1/10 the power of a pressure washer. My guess is it will not be very effective.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 23:40   #10237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have no idea how that resqtech thing works, it has 1/10 the power of a pressure washer. My guess is it will not be very effective.
Actual, my guess is that the pressure created by a pressure washer is mostly unnecessary, and 1/10th would be absolutely fine!

I used to have a Bosch pressure washer and when it died I did not replace it. There are just one or two things that it was really good for... wheels, wheel wells, underside.

I do have good pressure on my hose (domestic pressure booster set at, I think, 1.5bar) That doesn't beat the Bosch: I don't know how it would compare with ResQtech.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 07:06   #10238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Actual, my guess is that the pressure created by a pressure washer is mostly unnecessary, and 1/10th would be absolutely fine!
Nope, you're wrong.

Did you see my video above? See the first part where it blasts off all dirt and muck off the car. You will be left with a clean surface which can be safely washed with a shampoo.

What if you didn't have a pressure washer? Your hose with booster would knock off large chunks of sand/debris but not all. This will get trapped in your towel/mitt as you wash and damage your paint.

90% of the swirls that happen on one's car is during washing and drying phase. More effort you put in washing your car safely, longer it will last looking good.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 08:16   #10239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Even I was contemplating buying the Resqtech. But soon I realized that this would be useful for the basic washing only, it would not be comparable to the pressure washer. At times I feel pressure washer would also do some damage to the paint when they blast the muck off but in the process force the muck to scratch the surface. I am no expert here, hence will stop.

But come this winter, I am planning to buy the ResQtech.
ghodlur is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 09:54   #10240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My pressure washer can suck water from a bucket. I wait 20 mins for the bucket to fill up then spend 3 minutes rinsing the whole car. If you plan and use the pressure washer judiciously, you can finish rinsing whole car with a 10L bucket of water or even less.
Wow, I din't want to go for a pressure washer, as I don't have access to running water from a hose pipe. If the pressure washer can suck from a bucket, it would totally suit my requirements. Can you point me towards the model you are using please?
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 10:38   #10241
BHPian

Quote:
I was able to find tech wax in amazon, but the price is double of what you said!!!
1900+ !
Hi ptaneja, check out this site for the same product. Available at a sligtly lesser price.

Disclaimer: No commercial interests.
Old 13th September 2017, 10:41   #10242
Distinguished - BHPian

I too considered the Resqtech for a while before I realised that I need a washer to not just wash my car but parts of the home as well where the Resqtech would come up terribly short. It can't hold a candle to an electrically operated washer.

So, the choice was automatically a power washer. And then it came down to choosing between a Bosch and Karcher. I bought a Bosch because of the abundance of accessories included with the washer and of course the price. Plus additional accessories are available on Amazon. The Karchers are IMO expensive for what they offer although a water cooled motor is a major plus point. Ergo, a Karcher probably lasts longer than a Bosch would.

I might buy a Resqtech only to wash off dust and minor grime off the car.

PS - This is what I purchased, it is overkill for only washing a car or bike but as mentioned above I want to use it for some cleaning around the home. For that, I need a washer with some grunt.
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01FO28GRC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by R2D2 : 13th September 2017 at 10:46. Reason: Added PS
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 11:27   #10243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See the first part where it blasts off all dirt and muck off the car. You will be left with a clean surface which can be safely washed with a shampoo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
So, the choice was automatically a power washer.
One question to you guys since you have bought the power washers.

Does this thing work on bore well water coz in my society only bore well water is available at liberty. Municipal water is strictly prohibited. Does this have any effect on the power washer components or performance.

I think power washer is the most effective during the monsoons, rest of the time a weekly wash would not require the services. Pls correct me if I am wrong.
Old 13th September 2017, 12:40   #10244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
One question to you guys since you have bought the power washers.

Does this thing work on bore well water coz in my society only bore well water is available at liberty. Municipal water is strictly prohibited. Does this have any effect on the power washer components or performance.

I think power washer is the most effective during the monsoons, rest of the time a weekly wash would not require the services. Pls correct me if I am wrong.
It works with bore well water but you need to empty out any residual water from the unit, the pipes and valves as it may leave behind mineral deposits over time.

And yes, pressure washers are required at the maximum frequency during the monsoon. For the dry season(s) you could use a bucket (or 2) of water and only if you must use the washer if your model is able to pull in water from a bucket just like Sunnyboi has mentioned below. It all depends on how frequently you wash your car. I use public transport including Ola/Uber to the maximum possible extent so I even let the cars get dusty. So much the better for saving water. A Jopasu duster comes to the rescue in the interim.

A waterless/rinse less wash which is ideal for areas of water scarcity. Water conservation (bore well or municipal doesn't matter) is a top priority for all of us. And IMO using a pressure washer when not required could be a waste of water and power no matter how inconsequential it may seem. It is best to use ones discretion.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 14:43   #10245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nope, you're wrong.

Did you see my video above? See the first part where it blasts off all dirt and muck off the car. You will be left with a clean surface which can be safely washed with a shampoo.
Having had a pressure washer, I can understand your point of view. By the way, I would suggest that you use less pressure, and hold the wand a metre further off. Too much pressure is really bad for paint, rubber, fittings, etc. See also quoted comment below.
Quote:
What if you didn't have a pressure washer? Your hose with booster would knock off large chunks of sand/debris but not all. This will get trapped in your towel/mitt as you wash and damage your paint.
My hose gets rid of almost all. Almost as much almost-all as the pressure washer did. This cannot possibly be an absolute judgement on hoses or pressure washers, as they, and how they are used, are going to vary from house to house, washer to washer, person to person. I am only relating my experience, but from that, I do conclude that pressure washing is not necessary, and can be excessive, for vehicles, apart from tasks mentioned before.
Quote:
90% of the swirls that happen on one's car is during washing and drying phase. More effort you put in washing your car safely, longer it will last looking good.
In a way, what you are saying is less effort keeps the car looking good. Yes, I agree about grinding in, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
...At times I feel pressure washer would also do some damage to the paint when they blast the muck off but in the process force the muck to scratch the surface. ... ... ...
I feel this too.

Readers will have heard of sandblasting. So, we take the sand (fine dirt on our car) and combine it with a pressure jet and what do we have?

Likewise, no expert, but I think this should be considered. I am not attempting dogma here, but suggesting that there is more to it than meets the eye.

My car has a heap of swirls, some bad enough to visibly dull the surface. It will be detailed this month or next, polished and shine restored. I'll report back after some time with the hose!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks