Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2018, 15:24   #10381
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

How does one get rid of rust from the crash guard on the sides of the body (TVS Wego). This was factory fitted and the recent rains has made it to rust all over.
Old 13th February 2018, 15:48   #10382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
How does one get rid of rust from the crash guard on the sides of the body (TVS Wego). This was factory fitted and the recent rains has made it to rust all over.
Two ways ..

1. Using Vibuthi (yes, the ones used for holy purposes). Mix it with water and make it into a coarse paste and rub it on the mildy rusted side crash guards. Take a damp cloth and rub the entire crash guard. It should remove the basic surface rust.

2.Use one of those Rust Off or like wise from big brands or some cheap rubbing compound which will also do the job. Deep rusts cannot be removed, thats for sure, but surface ones can.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 16:09   #10383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi Guys,

What feedback you have for Pro clear windshield additive. Also any polish which you can suggest for windshield. My windshield has lot of scratches because of dogs of the society. I enquired from Windshield Experts if they can fix but they said that they can break the glass and replace it under insurance and I don’t want to go that route. Also I am looking for a good paint sealant. I want to buy Klasse but it’s out of stock on greenz. Any idea where I can get it from or what are the alternatives.

Guys please provide your inputs on this.
Old 13th February 2018, 16:09   #10384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Two ways ..

1. Using Vibuthi (yes, the ones used for holy purposes). Mix it with water and make it into a coarse paste and rub it on the mildy rusted side crash guards. Take a damp cloth and rub the entire crash guard. It should remove the basic surface rust.

2.Use one of those Rust Off or like wise from big brands or some cheap rubbing compound which will also do the job. Deep rusts cannot be removed, thats for sure, but surface ones can.
Its not so deep, so will definitely try the Vibuthi method. If few spots are stubborn, will try some rubbing compound. Anything specific I should look out for since havent heard/seen Rust Off.
Old 13th February 2018, 16:58   #10385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Its not so deep, so will definitely try the Vibuthi method. If few spots are stubborn, will try some rubbing compound. Anything specific I should look out for since havent heard/seen Rust Off.
Try WD40 for those spots. Take a new shaving blade (old type) and gently rub on those spots to dislodge the rust. Being native of same city as you are in, the only savior from all these situations is Good Old Coconut Oil. Just before monsoon, rub it on all those chrome parts and repeat every weekend or after wash. It will save those parts from corrosion for long time ahead.
Old 13th February 2018, 17:21   #10386
BHPian

Quote:
Try WD40 for those spots. Take a new shaving blade (old type) and gently rub on those spots to dislodge the rust. Being native of same city as you are in, the only savior from all these situations is Good Old Coconut Oil. Just before monsoon, rub it on all those chrome parts and repeat every weekend or after wash. It will save those parts from corrosion for long time ahead.
Did try the WD40, but not the shaving blade. Good tip in saving the chrome parts, but luckily now moved to a house with covered parking.
Old 19th February 2018, 23:56   #10387
BHPian

Cleaning tyres

Hi,

I have been using water less wash liquid to clean my car for more than one year and the tires often get neglected due to lack of time.

I spent around 2 hours on cleaning tires this time and results was satisfactory.

Condition of tires before cleaning

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-tyre-1.jpg

Condition after cleaning multiple times

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-tyre-2.jpg

After applying 3M tyre dresser

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-tyre-5.jpg

After 15 days with minimal use

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20180216_103023_hdr.jpg

Tools used for cleaning tyre

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-tyre-6.jpg

Few more pictures captured after cleaning

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-tyre-11.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-vento-tsi-cl.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-tyre-4.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-tyre-3.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20180131_104813_hdr.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20180131_104822_hdr.jpg

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 06:38   #10388
BHPian

How does Wash and wax type of combo shampoos work, they are ideally doing contrasting things being part of same product ? Are there any good recommendation ? If this is effective, I would like to give a try. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Thilak29 : 20th February 2018 at 06:40.
Old 20th February 2018, 08:32   #10389
Senior - BHPian

Experts,

Need suggestion on a good product to clean the alloys of the brake dust. Presently I use the soap solution to clean them but that's a back breaking exercise and the results are far from satisfactory. Any suggestions on good brushes to clean the alloys and tyres?
Old 20th February 2018, 10:05   #10390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi,

After applying 3M tyre dresser

Attachment 1732917

Tools used for cleaning tyre

Attachment 1732918
3M Tyre Dresser is actually a underdog in the market. Very good product.

I see that you are using Armorall tyre cleaner, have you ever tried the Tyre Gel too ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Experts,

Need suggestion on a good product to clean the alloys of the brake dust. Presently I use the soap solution to clean them but that's a back breaking exercise and the results are far from satisfactory. Any suggestions on good brushes to clean the alloys and tyres?
This is what I do on my silver colored alloy.

1. Wet the alloy and tyre with a mug of water.
2. Spray 30:70 degreaser:water solution. Any product will do. I have used Tribocor (weak and safe) and Autofresh (strong and helps dislodge grease gunks, discontinued now I guess).
3. Allow it to soak for about 10 minutes. The time taken for me to do all 4 wheels with this process.
4. Scrub the tyre with Mothers tyre brush, and clean the alloy with Mothers alloy cleaner brush.
5. Allow it to soak for another 5 minutes.
6. Rinse with water.
7. Spray 3M tyre dresser on a sponge and apply on the walls of tyres.
8. Spray Collinite 845 on a sponge a apply it on alloys.
9. Allow them to dry.
10. Buff the alloys with cloth.

Last edited by prithm : 20th February 2018 at 10:23. Reason: spelling mistake
prithm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 15:31   #10391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Experts,

Use APC(All purpose cleaner) preferably Meguairs. This is 1 gallon can and works out if shared by 4-5 persons
https://www.amazon.in/Meguiars-D1010...irs+all+purpos

Please try this tool, Im using since 2 months and will do the job. The quality is good.

https://www.amazon.in/CleanIT-Motorc...7M3JC2MVJE6D7W

Anyone please suggest which is good wax : Is it Collinite 845 or Mother's brazilian gold or Meguair's NXT or any other.

Last edited by HighOctane : 20th February 2018 at 15:49. Reason: more information
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 18:23   #10392
BHPian

Quote:
3M Tyre Dresser is actually a underdog in the market. Very good product.

I see that you are using Armorall tyre cleaner, have you ever tried the Tyre Gel too ?
Hi prithm,

True, even I was not expecting much from 3M tyre dresser but it makes cleaning tyres easier. Mud stuck on the tyres loses easily with soap solution and the tyre does not get discoloured(yellow).

This is the fist time I bought tyre cleaner hence I do not have experience with other similar products. I already exhausted first bottle of tyre cleaner and have bought one more of the same brand.

After applying 3M dresser I hope I don't have to use tyre cleaner with each wash.

Regards.
Old 22nd February 2018, 18:36   #10393
BHPian

This is an incredible thread. I'm hooked!

I wash my car once in 2-3 days and give it a shampoo was on Sundays. Everything done using 3M products. While it works well, I haven't been doing a detailed job. The cabin was vaccum cleaned once or twice in last 10 months (car purchased in Apr 2017). They are fairly clean and I damp wipe the dashboard on Sundays that has maintained some of the gloss. Bear in mind that I dont drive regularly, I've done only 4000 Km till date.

Now I feel its time to give the car a professional treatment. So i was thinking of taking it down to 3M Car Care. Can anyone help me with cost estimates? I want to get the following done:

1) Exterior wash and wax (remove all scratches and swirl marks)
2) Paint protection film (to prevent scratches and swirl marks)
3) Wheel well wash, tyre wash
4) Underbody wash, anti-rust coat (not sure how necessary this coating is)
5) Full interior wash and vaccum, dashboard dressing

What would be the overall damage to my bank balance if I get all of it done?

Appreciate your inputs!
Old 22nd February 2018, 21:20   #10394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
How does Wash and wax type of combo shampoos work, they are ideally doing contrasting things being part of same product ? Are there any good recommendation ? If this is effective, I would like to give a try. Thanks in advance.
I use Ultima Wash and Wax on my car almost every other week. Around 15ml of concentrate is mixed with around 1L of water and it makes for a quick detailer. It's good enough for two applications. So that means 15ml of the concentrate lasts me a month. Costs me around 20 rupees per detailing.

The method is quite simple. I use a sprayer to spray a thin coat of the diluted wash and wax on a panel and use a microfiber to spread it. And then another microfiber to boff it off.

I am quite satisfied with this arrangement. I use a jopasu duster for daily cleaning the car. Every other year I've been to Ultimate detailerz for their ceramic treatment. The Ultima Wash and Wax and the jopasu helps maintain it. Sometimes during rains I do visit 3M for a foam wash when the car gets too dirty.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 11:52   #10395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityslicker86 View Post

Now I feel its time to give the car a professional treatment. So i was thinking of taking it down to 3M Car Care. Can anyone help me with cost estimates? I want to get the following done:

1) Exterior wash and wax (remove all scratches and swirl marks)
2) Paint protection film (to prevent scratches and swirl marks)
3) Wheel well wash, tyre wash
4) Underbody wash, anti-rust coat (not sure how necessary this coating is)
5) Full interior wash and vaccum, dashboard dressing

What would be the overall damage to my bank balance if I get all of it done?
The last line summarizes my feedback. YES. It will cost you and honestly speaking, since you do not drive your car much there is little or nothing to be done at this point that can even remotely vouch for such high cost treatment.

Infact, given your current requirement and location (Chennai I suppose) only two things will be relevant.

1. Exterior Wax (You can get any hardwax according to your budget and take it to your neighborhood detailers) and get it done using orb machines. Look for likes of Waxpol, Collinite Fleetwax etc. These hard waxes stick for a longer time and you can additionally go for some sealant in likes of Menzerna, Meguires etc.

2. Underbody treatment is a must for locations such as Chennai since most of the cars in coastal cities get their rust "infection" from the skirts. Not sure if the dealer sold you underbody treatment while delivery, but if not then you need to clean the underbody with high pressure wash, scrub, dry and then go for treatment paint. Like of 3M, Tufkote can help you on this and can be done even with FNG near your home with a ramp or hydraulic lift.

The total damage if all these done by you will be around Rs. 3-4K in total and you will get to know about products too. This is fraction of the cost when compared to professional service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks