Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2018, 14:08   #10456
BHPian

First Time Car Owner's Kit

Hi fellow BHP-ians

This is my first post here and I thought I would share my story of being a first time car owner and get the community's views on what is really essential for a two-month old car. (A Fiery Red Hyundai 2018 Elite i20 Asta VTVT)

When I approached a couple of motorhead friends for a few tips, they nonchalantly rolled their eyes and said Jopasu. I also read through almost 630 pages of this thread and my mind is blown. Completely.

So this is what I do now:

1. The car is kept covered with a company made cover. I usually park outside my house and there is no shade whatsoever, and it is a busy road.

2. Car wash once a week - 3M car wash shampoo (1 to 100 dilution). Micro-fiber to wash the car (all external areas including windshields) after dusting it down with a Jopasu duster.

3. Shampoo is washed off with a few mugs of water and micro-fiber cloth used to dry. (One area at a time is washed and dried). Planning to upgrade to a Meguiar's water magnet soon.

Question: Should I use a wax product as well for a new car? If yes, which product is the best?

4. For the interiors, I just use a micro-fiber cloth to dust the surfaces. I have seen so many products being recommended here, but I don't know which one would suit me the best.

5. Mats are washed (brush and mild detergent) once in a fortnight. The car cover is also bucket washed once in two weeks.

6. I use a Bergmann Hurricane Vacuum cleaner and a toothbrush for fine particles embedded in the seats and floor.

Products in my wishlist:

1. Sonax Interior Cleaner (Rs. 469 for 500 ml) - will this work for dashboard, steering wheel and gearshift lever?

2. Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant (Rs. 732 for 473 ml) - is this the best product for all the areas mentioned above? Does it double as a UV protectant? What should be the frequency of application? (I know that these kinds of questions have been asked before but I don't know if they are for new cars as well.

3. Proklear Waterless Dry Car Wash Concentrate (Rs. 499 for 250 ml) - can I use this to clear bird droppings and other small bits of grime as a quick fix on the road?

4. Jopasu Mini Duster (Rs. 569 for a set of two) - Enough to dust off interiors? What should I do for the micro-dust particles?

5. Rain-X Glass Treatment Rain Repellent (Rs. 361 for 207 ml) - is this the best solution to avoid water spots that form during washing? Or overkill?

6. Sunshades (although strictly not part of this topic) - Any specific brands that are good for the i20?

I have read through all the threads related to sunshades, open parking, best practices and other gems and I thought it would be best to summarise my own understanding and experience through this post. Thanks for reading!

By the way, the first and only forum that I have seen where there is zero condescension or judgement. Way to go!
harikrishna.te is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 08:01   #10457
BHPian

Re: First Time Car Owner's Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
My answers are in line with the quote:
Thanks a lot for your inputs!

Is it wise to apply Rain-X to the rear windshield as well? I don't have a wiper there. And windows?
Old 30th May 2018, 22:01   #10458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikrishna.te View Post
Thanks a lot for your inputs!

Is it wise to apply Rain-X to the rear windshield as well? I don't have a wiper there. And windows?
Sure thing. It should help. I have applied them it helps greatly, especially on side windows.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 00:29   #10459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3. Shampoo is washed off with a few mugs of water and micro-fiber cloth used to dry. (One area at a time is washed and dried). Planning to upgrade to a Meguiar's water magnet soon.

Question: Should I use a wax product as well for a new car? If yes, which product is the best?
If your car is covered, then you dont need to use shampoo that frequently. Wax - yes, once in 15 days / one month.

For interior - if steering is leather, then you can use moist cloth regularly, and occasionally a leather creme
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 08:01   #10460
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Sure thing. It should help. I have applied them it helps greatly, especially on side windows.
Oh, then I think I should try it out too, thanks.

But I have a couple of questions.
I was reading through the Rain X thread on this forum and there seemed to be a few posts in stark contrast with each other in terms of recommendations.

1. Some people seem to feel that Rain X affects night vision - is that true or is it just a matter of application method?
2. Will the rain drops bounce off the rear windshield as well? The air flow pattern there is different from the front windshield
3. Does it work well in slow Indian traffic?
4. Some people prefer Proklear's product to Rain-X. Any thoughts?
5. Frequency of application? Can it be applied to ORVMS as well?

Thanks. I am kind of a list freak!
Old 31st May 2018, 10:45   #10461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If your car is covered, then you dont need to use shampoo that frequently. Wax - yes, once in 15 days / one month.

For interior - if steering is leather, then you can use moist cloth regularly, and occasionally a leather creme
I don't think the steering wheel is leather, but not sure though. More than the periphery, I am concerned about the horn and the controls portion of the steering wheel.

I am still getting around to the basics of waxing and polishing. So let me see if I can set into a good routine for waxing.
Everybody seems to suggest ONR for washing as well as a quick detailer. But the proportions seem to vary from person to person.

Is there a specific proportion for use as a rinseless wash and as a quick detailer? (in your experience)
Old 3rd June 2018, 18:23   #10462
BHPian

Quote:
Everybody seems to suggest ONR for washing as well as a quick detailer. But the proportions seem to vary from person to person.

Is there a specific proportion for use as a rinseless wash and as a quick detailer? (in your experience)

You can find the proportions in the back of the bottle. Almost all detailing products mention how to use their products.
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 14:10   #10463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
You can find the proportions in the back of the bottle. Almost all detailing products mention how to use their products.
Thank you. I also found this link on another thread on the forum. It seems to be pretty definitive.
Old 5th June 2018, 15:42   #10464
Senior - BHPian

I had raised a query some time back regarding quick detailing products, refer to the post below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4389168

I bought the ECH2O from Autozeel.com based on a recommendation from a BHPian who owns the e-commerce website (helping a fellow BHPian).

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-ech2o-quick-detailer.jpg

Have been using the product now for the past 40 odd days and have been satisfied with the same. Since I started using the product have not washed my car which speaks for itself as there was no need for it. The Quick detailer was doing its job. The car requires a fewer sprays to be cleaned and does have a smoother feel after repeated usage. I use separate MF cloths for metal and glass wipes, use one side of MF for cleaning & other side for wiping. Works well on the metal, glass and fibre parts on the car. I do not use it for the interior dashboards, upholstery although the product can be used for the same. The product comes with 2 options of 500 ml and 1000 ml. Opted for the 500 ml one and this should easily see me for an year or so. Since the product is from CarPro, I was assured that it would be best. The product can be used as clay lubricant, Rinseless wash, waterless wash etc options too with the right proportion of dilution, details as below in the link. It waits to be seen how the product would perform during monsoons.

https://www.autozeel.com/car-bike-ca...ncentrate.html

In no way am I advertising for the website or BHPian, just expressing my experience with the product.

Mods: If it is felt that I am violating any TBHP rules, please feel free to delete the post.
ghodlur is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2018, 11:00   #10465
BHPian

I had a friend coming to town from the US and I got a few Meguiars products from there.

I am planning to use the following next weekend to remove a few minor swirls on my 2 month old Fiery Red Elite i20 (the sad story of how they were induced is dramatically recounted here)

1. Jopasu and car wash with 3M shampoo (to remove any residue of ONR)
2. Clay (CarPro Clay kit)
3. Ultimate Compound (by hand - Megs Applicator pads)
4. Ultimate Polish (by hand - Megs Applicator pads)
5. Gold Plus Carnauba Wax Paste (by hand - Megs Applicator pads)

Is there a dwell/curing/settling time that I should allow between steps 3,4 and 5?
Old 23rd June 2018, 18:31   #10466
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there a dwell/curing/settling time that I should allow between steps 3,4 and 5?
There's no curing time per se. For the compound and polish, apply and wipe off with a clean microfiber cloth ensuring you polish a section, say a panel, at a time. For larger panels like the bonnet or roof do a smaller 2 x 2 ft section. Don't allow the product to dry on the paint.

With the wax apply a very thin coat (I stress on this..a thin coat is better) wait till it forms a slight haze then wipe off. How long it takes to form a haze depends on the weather, temperature. Just make sure your car is at ambient temperature and don't wash, polish or wax in sunlight. Allowing these products (especially Collinite!) to dry makes them really difficult to take off.

PS - If you are attempting to put on multiple coats of wax wait for 12-24 hours, up to 48 hours during the monsoons and don't wash the car during this time.

Last edited by R2D2 : 23rd June 2018 at 18:36. Reason: PS
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 13:34   #10467
BHPian

I have picked up a bunch of tar spots on my white car. I was forced to drive on a newly asphalted road. I have read that using diesel / petrol etc damages clear coat and claying would be the better approach. The question I have is, is it alright to wait for a couple of months for the end of monsoon (which is heavy and tough on cars here) and get a detailing done once and for all? Or is it important to get it removed at the earliest? Thanks in advance.
Old 24th June 2018, 14:45   #10468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
The question I have is, is it alright to wait for a couple of months for the end of monsoon (which is heavy and tough on cars here) and get a detailing done once and for all? Or is it important to get it removed at the earliest
I have faced similar situation with my car and my car color is also white. I removed them at a detailer who did some process called as compounding. Not sure what he did as I was not available to watch the show but I can say all marks were removed and he charged 2k for the same. I waited for at least 5-6 months and can confirm there are no visible tar spots now.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 14:50   #10469
Team-BHP Support

You can get some diesel and wipe it over the area, leave it for few minutes and then wash with your choice of car shampoo. This will take care of the tar marks for now. Diesel will not cause any damage if you use it for just cleaning which would be at best 10 mts.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 20:00   #10470
BHPian

Planning to order "Proklear Wwc Windshield Wash Additive Concentrate" from Amazon. The instructions in the description do not explain the ratio with which the liquid has to diluted.
The description just mentions that 5ml need to be added every time, and it will last for 50 refills.

Any pointers in this regard is highly appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks