Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2014, 23:24   #8881
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
So what's the next step after removing bird poo?? Say after its been there for a few hours, in a recently waxed car?

Use a quick detailer over that spot to preserve / restore the wax in that area?
Bird poo will eat through wax like hot knife through butter. Sealants resist better maybe couple of hours.

Remove the bird poo with detailer and re seal the exposed paint
Old 20th September 2014, 01:26   #8882
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

A slightly offtopic rant...

Cars get driven on roads and parked in the open. Birds fly in the sky above such cars. There are lots of birds, and some of them are big.

Have the car scientists, in all these years, not realised this? Their much-touted surfaces are not even proof against this common, every-day, everywhere hazard.

It's about as stupid as phones (and cameras) that get ruined by a drop of rain.

rant over. Thanks.

And as to the effect of different birds in different areas, I expect it is down to diet. It might be traceable, for instance, to berries that are available in a certain area.
Old 20th September 2014, 01:45   #8883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Bird poo will eat through wax like hot knife through butter. Sealants resist better maybe couple of hours.

Well...I got Collinite 845 protecting the paint surface for couple of years atleast to perfection. Sealant or wax didn't make any difference to me.

During this summer, we had 2 mango trees providing paradise for all the birds in our locality & they were taking refuge under my Rx, WagonR & Activa as they were nearly stationary for weeks together. And needless to say I find atleast 4-5 places infected in each vehicle end of every week in dry & wet conditions.

Collinite did & still does a good job
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 06:14   #8884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Are these the exact steps?

1) Remove bird poo with wet microfiber cloth.

2) Spray Quick detailer over the area.

3) Wipe again after a few minutes.

Thanks.
Old 20th September 2014, 10:28   #8885
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
Are these the exact steps?

1) Remove bird poo with wet microfiber cloth.

2) Spray Quick detailer over the area.

3) Wipe again after a few minutes.

Thanks.
Spray quick detailer over the area. Wait for some time depending on the hardness of poop. Wipe with a micro. Repeat if necessary
Old 20th September 2014, 10:41   #8886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post
glass coating
Does glass coating comes cheap? OP is trying to reduce the overall cost of detailing and cleaning. IMO, none of the coatings are resistant to acidity, the resistance level may slightly differ. If the car is going to be in open parking, nothing can survive than a good car cover, provided you wont introduce any scratches while using the cover.

Is there any specific step to remove the poop, I dont think so, nothing but common sense. Soak it with water if it is dry and remove it with a MF or wash with some more water. If it doesnt help, use a little bit car shampoo or even a little stronger detergent, it wont be stronger than the acid poop. The best is an APC. Once its cleaned, apply the sealant.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 20th September 2014 at 10:55.
Old 20th September 2014, 13:41   #8887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Does glass coating comes cheap? OP is trying to reduce the overall cost of detailing and cleaning. IMO, none of the coatings are resistant to acidity, the resistance level may slightly differ. If the car is going to be in open parking, nothing can survive than a good car cover, provided you wont introduce any scratches while using the cover.

On the Cover, My car is parked in the porch with opening on three sides. We have couple of cats that come every night from the neighbourhood to rest on the car roof tops. In the process they end up creating fine scratches. Besides, we have also small insects and flies like beetles and other lights insects that usually leave a mark when the car is not covered.

But being a porch I cannot cover the car with tarpaulins as they would look ugly objects in front of the house.

the other day I had been to 3M and they gave away a free 3M masking film to fit my vento.

The good purpose of this is :

- Its transculent. This would allow the car to almost be seen from the outside and wont look like large covered space.

- Unlike the newer HDPE tarpaulins ( about 500-700 grams ) , these are very light in weight ( hardly 200 Grams in weight ) and there is no chance of scratches being created on the paint surface because of this cover.

- I have attached elastic running band at the bottom so they fit nicely and putting them on and removing from the car is an easy task.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-3mmaskingfilm1.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-3mmaskingfilm2.jpg

The not so good part is :

- These will not last for ever. You might have to change these every month or so. I have been using mine for two months now and its time to change the cover to a new one.

However, these dont cost much I assume. A full 250-300 Mtr roll should cost about 2000-2500 Rupees and this roll will last for a very long time.

- This masking film is good to use in my case since the cars are parked in a secure private compound. I dont know if your car is parked on the road. If it is so, then these would be useless as passerby will surely damage / remove / tear the cover off within a day or two.

Im trying hard to locate a seller ( supplier of 3M masking film ) in my city , but unable to find one. 3M wont charge me for the film and thats the reason I want to avoid asking them for one every now and then.
Old 20th September 2014, 15:21   #8888
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padcot Prakash View Post
On the Cover, My car is parked in the porch with opening on three sides. We have couple of cats that come every night from the neighbourhood to rest on the car roof tops. In the process they end up creating fine scratches. Besides, we have also small insects and flies like beetles and other lights insects that usually leave a mark when the car is not covered.

Im trying hard to locate a seller ( supplier of 3M masking film ) in my city , but unable to find one. 3M wont charge me for the film and thats the reason I want to avoid asking them for one every now and then.
Me badly wants one of those. Guess I will go hunting for it in market or SP Road. Looks good in that form compared to the heavy covers we get. But I wonder if we get that huge covers. If someone knows where to get them apart from 3M unless they are ready to charge for it, do let me know.
Old 20th September 2014, 15:29   #8889
BHPian

From the pics and the price, it looks like the 3M painting mask, if so, it wont last and can tear off very easily.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_1028.jpg

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 20th September 2014 at 15:35.
Old 20th September 2014, 16:34   #8890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
From the pics and the price, it looks like the 3M painting mask, if so, it wont last and can tear off very easily.

Attachment 1289794
The point of discussion here was protection against bird dropping and I guess it serves the purpose as long as the car in question is parked in a secured compound where 'outsiders' will not intentionally visit to vandalize the masking ( paint ) film.

It does tear off easily , but not that fragile unless some one 'wants' to tear it !

Also, this film needs to be used in shaded area like parking space or under a tree else due to the heat it might stick to the paint surface, although I know this film is used in the paint booth will the paint bakes.
Old 21st September 2014, 18:02   #8891
BHPian

Could somebody suggest a cheap but effective tar remover? I've used diesel (which I found quite effective) a couple of times, but not planning to continue due to its damaging effects on clearcoat.
Old 21st September 2014, 18:56   #8892
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Could somebody suggest a cheap but effective tar remover? I've used diesel (which I found quite effective) a couple of times, but not planning to continue due to its damaging effects on clearcoat.
WD40, Zorrik88 are cheap alternatives which remove tar.Zorrik specifically states its paint safe

Better alternative would be carpro tar x. It does its job really good.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 23:08   #8893
BHPian

Tried Auto Finesse Oblitarate Tar Remover yesterday on my white Swift which has got many tar spots on the lower part of front gates and results are just amazing.

Washed the Car first to clean the surface, wiped using MF cloth, allowed it it dry completely.

Sprayed Oblitarate Tar Remover on the tar spots and with in 1-2 minutes the hard tar spots started dissolving wiped off the surface with dry MF cloth and it leaves behind clean doors and lower body parts of my White Swift.

As mentioned by other BHPians also that it smells very bad but it does its job very well, happy with the purchase and end result.

I have never used any other Tar remover so can't compare it with any other similar product.

Need an advice from experts: Is it safe to use this product after every 3 months?

Last edited by SaurabhSaran : 21st September 2014 at 23:09. Reason: adding question
SaurabhSaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 23:20   #8894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhSaran View Post
Tried Auto Finesse Oblitarate Tar Remover yesterday on my white Swift which has got many tar spots on the lower part of front gates and results are just amazing.

Washed the Car first to clean the surface, wiped using MF cloth, allowed it it dry completely.

Sprayed Oblitarate Tar Remover on the tar spots and with in 1-2 minutes the hard tar spots started dissolving wiped off the surface with dry MF cloth and it leaves behind clean doors and lower body parts of my White Swift.

As mentioned by other BHPians also that it smells very bad but it does its job very well, happy with the purchase and end result.

I have never used any other Tar remover so can't compare it with any other similar product.

Need an advice from experts: Is it safe to use this product after every 3 months?
And does it have an immediate adverse effect on the wax, clearcoat or paint? If yes, is there a better alternative that the experts here can suggest?
Old 22nd September 2014, 00:07   #8895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhSaran View Post
Tried Auto Finesse Oblitarate Tar Remover yesterday
Yes it's absolutely fine. But make sure you use a light cleaner polish and a wax/sealant afterwards. The chemical decontamination shall remove any sealant/wax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
And does it have an immediate adverse effect on the wax, clearcoat or paint? If yes, is there a better alternative that the experts here can suggest?
As mentioned above, sealant / waxes shall be removed when tar removers are used. A fresh coat needs to be put in.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks