Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2013, 17:26   #8131
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Decided to protect with AutoGlym HD wax

The Autoglym HD was was hand applied with a yellow foam applicator and buffed off easily after 10 minutes with a regular microfiber. It's winter, so I am expecting the protection to last for quite a while (cool weather + no rain)
Fantastic shine there. I have been reading about that wax and it seems very popular for the extreme gloss it imparts. How was the application and removal - easy, medium effort, tough ? Also, is it available in India?
Old 10th December 2013, 18:30   #8132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Fantastic shine there. I have been reading about that wax and it seems very popular for the extreme gloss it imparts. How was the application and removal - easy, medium effort, tough ? Also, is it available in India?
The AG HD wax kind of has polarizing comments on the web. I found it pretty easy to apply using a moist yellow foam applicator pad. Let it dwell and haze for 10-12 mins, and buffed it off using a regular MF. It was regular effort, nothing hard.

I don't really think it is available in India. I picked it up long time back when they were on sale in Walmart (probably around $20 - normally it retailed at around $40-50) and it was sitting unused.

Looks like detailedclean sells it for GBP 35 - http://www.detailedclean.co.uk/wax/a...nition-wax-731

Last edited by blackasta : 10th December 2013 at 18:33.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 16:28   #8133
BHPian

I have updated my thread with hex logic and porter cable DA usage pics.
Old 14th December 2013, 17:27   #8134
Senior - BHPian

So this morning after a wash and towel dry, tried deciding on which path to take for the newly painted panels.

a. Tackle orange peel using denim pad, then polish.
or
b. Use aggressive compound (Meg's UC) + LC CCS yellow pad
or
c. Use milder swirl compound (Meg's swirlx) + LC CCS Orange pad

Decided to tackle only the RR quarter panel, RR door and RF door, and start with the least aggressive method.

A closer look under sunlight showed swirls and holograms galore

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20131214_135101.jpg

Decided to do a test spot with Meg's swirlx + LC CCS orange pad on DA.

Test sport on RR door After 1 pass

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20131214_140358.jpg

1 pass, tape removed,

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20131214_142225.jpg

Holograms and swirls on the rear quarter panel

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20131214_142302.jpg

After 1 pass

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20131214_143453.jpg

After 2 passes

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20131214_143512.jpg

Swirls on the FR door

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20131214_143712.jpg

FR door after 2 passes

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20131214_145856.jpg

FR & RR door after 2 passes and 10% IPA wipedown

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20131214_145827.jpg

It was getting late with light going down fast while I was claying the FR quarter panel, so decided to call it a day.

Tomorrow's plan - A quick rinseless wash with UWW, followed by a 1 pass polish with Sonus paintwork cleanser. Then maybe use Collinite or NXT tech 2 on the 3 panels, plus UC the FR quarter panel and seal it too.

If time permits - check the LF door, LR door, LF & LR quarter panels and take decisions on how to correct/seal them.

Please ignore the scratched FR waistline moulding (the bodyshop replaced the RR moulding as it was in a much worse condition after the brush with the concrete pillar - details on my thread) - I plan to change it sometime soon.

Last edited by blackasta : 14th December 2013 at 17:33.
blackasta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 10:39   #8135
BHPian

Quote:
Swirls on the FR door

FR door after 2 passes

FR & RR door after 2 passes and 10% IPA wipedown
The paint quality is pathetic. I see a lot of dirt inclusions & pinholes on the front door. Also find a little orange peel below the door handle.
Was this done at a roadside bodyshop? Maybe you can ask them to use some rubbing compopund followed by Glaze.
Old 15th December 2013, 10:58   #8136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post

The paint quality is pathetic. I see a lot of dirt inclusions & pinholes on the front door. Also find a little orange peel below the door handle.
Was this done at a roadside bodyshop? Maybe you can ask them to use some rubbing compopund followed by Glaze.
Believe it or not this was done in Hyundai A.S.S.

The pinholes IMO are solvent pops - happens when you don't leave enough time between coats.

Regarding dirt - I have seen them dry freshly coated panels out in the open. So naturally there would be dirt.

It seems I need to search a better denting painting place. Can't be there looking over their shoulders correcting them at every step!
Old 15th December 2013, 11:07   #8137
BHPian

My swift got third service done a week back.
Along with that, got detailing done in MASS Bangalore. ( Protective film, Interior cleaning & polishing, Some kind of coating on all glasses to protect from pollution, Engine room cleaned & polished.)
Name of the detail er Car Care India. They claim to use German product.
I was very particular of not to have sticky feeling on dash after polishing, like to have dry & clean dash. I was happy with the work.
One year warranty on the work.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-0.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-2.jpg
narendra.vw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 18:32   #8138
Senior - BHPian

Went ahead and spent a good amount of time today compounding, polishing and waxing.

Compounded the FL quarter panel, FL door, RL door , RL quarter panel and hatch door with UC + LC Orange CCS pad (2 passes).

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20131215_130357.jpg

Then decided that the RR quarter panel, RR door and RF door had some imperfections despite the swirlx session yesterday - thus compounded them too using UC + LC orange CCS pad (1 pass).

After compounding, broke open the bottle of Sonus paintwork cleanser, and used it with LC white CCS pad on all the panels mentioned above.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20131215_145704.jpg

The Sonus paintwork cleanser is a non abrasive polish which has fillers to fill in the micro marring/haze left by UC. IPA wipedown removes the fillers & brings the minor imperfections back as noticed in a test area.

Also - couldn't do much about the pinholes & orange peel. As the quality of painting is not good enough, I doubt how it would stand up to wetsanding (which anyway does not guarantee doing away with pinholes anyway). I shall learn to make peace with them.

After that, hand waxed all the mentioned panels with Collinite 845 using a Meg's evencoat MF applicator. Also put a coat of C845 on the hood over the Autoglym HD.

Finally packed up for the day after buffing off the wax.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20131215_145714.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20131215_145727.jpg

Next week's plan include compounding, polishing and sealing the 2 bumpers and the roof.
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 18:48   #8139
BHPian

Quote:
Went ahead and spent a good amount of time today compounding, polishing and waxing.
Amazing job done. I might mistake it for a car just out of a showroom. Pro quality here.
Old 15th December 2013, 19:15   #8140
Senior - BHPian

Great work blackasta. Keep it coming!

Quote:
Next week's plan include compounding, polishing and sealing the 2 bumpers and the roof.
Always start with top and progress downwards. Now may be by chance, the side panels may get slight amount marring while working on roof.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 19:17   #8141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Amazing job done. I might mistake it for a car just out of a showroom. Pro quality here.
I'm honored.
But if you look closer there are too many imperfections in the paint - some contributed by the body shop , some by other vehicles, some by birds, some by unknown neglect while I was out for couple of years!
Too tough to get rid of all within the limited time & knowledge I have.

Just trying to work towards a good enough finish which is easy to take care. Again - there's a ocean of wealth on internet to learn from (autogeekonline / autopia carcare forums to name a few), so trying my best to level up my knowledge so that I may help others in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Great work blackasta. Keep it coming!

Always start with top and progress downwards. Now may be by chance, the side panels may get slight amount marring while working on roof.
Thanks for pointing it out. Yes - guess excitement got the better of me and I messed up the manner in which I should have progressed. Shall try to use masking tape and newspaper to cover up while doing the roof.

Last edited by blackasta : 15th December 2013 at 19:21.
Old 16th December 2013, 16:23   #8142
BHPian

need a suggestion. I used my new Cobra Waffle Weave for 4-5 times drying my car. After that it lost its water absorbing power. I cleaned it with normal detergent (by mistake) and now it seems it has completely lost its absorbing qualities. Is there a way to revive it? Or is my 1600 bucks gone down the drain.
Old 16th December 2013, 17:01   #8143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
need a suggestion. I used my new Cobra Waffle Weave for 4-5 times drying my car. After that it lost its water absorbing power. I cleaned it with normal detergent (by mistake) and now it seems it has completely lost its absorbing qualities. Is there a way to revive it? Or is my 1600 bucks gone down the drain.
Please look into this thread - I believe boiling with vinegar as suggested should do the trick.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...g-anymore.html

Please keep us posted on your findings.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 17:13   #8144
BHPian

Which is the polish or cleaner available for art leather seat covers? There are many available for Genuine Leather but I couldn't find any cleaner or polish for art leather.
Old 16th December 2013, 17:31   #8145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Which is the polish or cleaner available for art leather seat covers? There are many available for Genuine Leather but I couldn't find any cleaner or polish for art leather.
I'm using Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner for art leather seats for my Vento and it does a very good job. It cleans as well as conditions them. You feel a good amount of difference after you have applied it and use your car. Should work fine with your art leather seats perfectly.

I bought Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner from 3M Car Care for Rs 445 about 1.5 years back. I believe a newer packaging has come in which retails on Snapdeal, link. Check it out as well.

As you are based in Mumbai you can pick it up from 3M Car Care. Do remember to use applicator pads to apply leather cream and microfiber cloth to buff it off. Then only you do completely justice to product. If you don't have microfiber and pads, that too you could pick up from 3M Car Care.

Hope it helps.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks