Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2013, 12:24   #8101
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

This is a single use vial that i regularly use. The formula is really good.
Since its too much for a single tank I snip the top off, use and seal it back again with a tiny cork. Its basically soap so don't be too concerned of expiry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
A friend today gave me a small vial of this windshield wash concentrate. The vial is unused & sealed. There's no instruction if I should mix it with water and apply that to the windshield using a cotton towel. Or should I pour the concentrate in the windshield water tank under the hood (like the ones available at Maurti). I know this is a stupid question . The manufacturing date is of Sep-2012. Should this still be usable (no use-by date)?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 14:26   #8102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
This is added to your windshield wiper tank. 10 ml for a liter of water. This is the best concentrate that I've used.

My bottle is almost over. Reliance autozone used to stock them. Can you check with your friend if he can help me source a bottle?
This is available in Total Store, Sarjapur Road in the car perfumes section.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 16:34   #8103
BHPian

Quote:

Available in most Shell petrol outlets as well.

Last edited by linuxmanju : 19th November 2013 at 16:40.
linuxmanju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 11:34   #8104
BHPian

What is everyone using for masking tapes? I have noticed that most detailers prefer the 3M Blue masking tape in US and UK but I can't seem to find it anywhere in India.
Old 20th November 2013, 11:47   #8105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
What is everyone using for masking tapes? I have noticed that most detailers prefer the 3M Blue masking tape in US and UK but I can't seem to find it anywhere in India.
I use our humble surgical tape and it leaves no marks/residue. At Rs.40 I can't ask for more.

Here is the pic of the tape along with IPA. Both got from the roadside Apollo Pharmacy.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-ipa.jpg
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 15:00   #8106
Senior - BHPian

I use 3M and Fixon Masking Tapes. Should be available easily at any paint stores.
SunnyBoi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 16:40   #8107
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have a pearl white safari. I have acumlated lots of detailing products and want to give it a try. I do not have a machine polisher so will be doing everything by hand.

Below are the steps which I am planning to perform. What do you guys think about this? My car was detailed last year in August from WM with their full sealant treatment and after that I maintained it with ONR. There are few scratches but no swirls etc so paint does not need corection etc.

1. Pressure wash and shampoo
2. ONR
3. Clay + Clay Lube ONR
4. Meguiars ultimate polish
5. Duragloss 601 ( Bonding agent ) + 501 ( Paint cleaner/ Light polish )
6. IPA to remove all polishing oils
7. Duragloss 601 ( Bonding agent ) + 105 (Sealant)
8. Collinite 845- May be

I have few questions.
  • I have Duragloss 111 which is a clear coat polish, where do you think in these steps it should fit?
  • What you guys recommend for trim? Rubber etc. I do have somehting from Meguiars but I am not able to recall its name.
  • For tire and alloys, I have meguirs tire cleaner. Do you guys recommend anything else. I do have APC also
  • Do you guys wax/polish/seal your allows also? Can i polish alloys with DG501?
  • What do you guys recommend for the glass?
  • I have Amway cleaner for the leather seats, what do you guys recommend for the carpet? Is APC okay for that.
Please advice

-Ijeet
Old 21st November 2013, 16:57   #8108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
[*]What you guys recommend for trim? Rubber etc. I do have somehting from Meguiars but I am not able to recall its name.
It's Meguiar's Natural Shine Vinyl::Rubber Protectant I believe. You can use it for the trim. Not for the tyres though.

Quote:
[*]For tire and alloys, I have meguirs tire cleaner. Do you guys recommend anything else. I do have APC also
APC should jsut be fine for the tyres and alloys. Hope you have the wheel burshes as well.

Quote:
[*]Do you guys wax/polish/seal your allows also? Can i polish alloys with DG501?
Nothing stands on the alloys. Perhaps something like FinishKare Hi Temp Paste Wax. I just applied Gtechniq C5 and so can't comment on it as of now.

Quote:
[*]What do you guys recommend for the glass?
CARPRO CERIGLASS KIT for polishing, perhaps once in 4 months or so.
For Regualr cleaning Meguiars D120 Glass Cleaner Concentrate

Quote:
[*]I have Amway cleaner for the leather seats, what do you guys recommend for the carpet? Is APC okay for that.Please advice
AMWAY may not be ideal for leather. Try something like Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cln/Cond.
APC should just be fine for the carpet.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 17:09   #8109
BHPian

Quote:
1. Pressure wash and shampoo
2. ONR
3. Clay + Clay Lube ONR
4. Meguiars ultimate polish
5. Duragloss 601 ( Bonding agent ) + 501 ( Paint cleaner/ Light polish )
6. IPA to remove all polishing oils
7. Duragloss 601 ( Bonding agent ) + 105 (Sealant)
8. Collinite 845- May be
  • Step 2 is not required
  • Step 4 is not required. DG 501 will clean the paint better than Meg's 205 can ever dream of.
  • Step 6 is not required - No need for IPA as 105 will sit nicely on top of 501. 601 will increase the durability and it will flash cure.
  • Step 8 should be optional and you should allow 2-3 layers of DG 105 to grow on you. If you don't like the look, you can top up with a good wax. If you prefer Collinite, C915 will look better than C845. DG105 looks better than C845 on its own.
Quote:
I have Duragloss 111 which is a clear coat polish, where do you think in these steps it should fit?
DG 101, 105 and 111 are all Sealants with 111 being a pure sealant, 105 is an organic/waxy looking sealant with very minor cleaning ability while 101 is a sealant with good cleaning ability. You can use either 111 or 105, not both.

Quote:
  • Do you guys wax/polish/seal your allows also? Can i polish alloys with DG501?
  • What do you guys recommend for the glass?
You can polish alloys with DG501, it will clean them very well. On paint, it leaves 3-4 month's worth of protection. This will be considerably reduced due to the heat so topping up with something like FK 1000P, Meguiar's M16 or good old Collinite will help.

For the glass, Carpro Ceriglass or AutoGlym Car Glass Polish are two very good options and are easily available in India.

This car was sealed with DG 601+105 recently.

BTW - where did you source all the DG products from?

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 21st November 2013 at 17:27.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 17:35   #8110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have seen it in Sarjapur road and also in Murgeshpalaya total stores. However they usually stock only smaller bottles. They work out very expensive, also since the bottle does not have any cap you will have to use complete solution in one go (quantity is only that much too). It is better to get the bigger bottle from Shell bunks, it used to be around Rs 200 earlier. I guess it is in range of Rs 300 now.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 05:57   #8111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
It's Meguiar's Natural Shine Vinyl::Rubber Protectant I believe. You can use it for the trim. Not for the tyres though.

APC should jsut be fine for the tyres and alloys. Hope you have the wheel burshes as well.

Nothing stands on the alloys. Perhaps something like FinishKare Hi Temp Paste Wax. I just applied Gtechniq C5 and so can't comment on it as of now.

CARPRO CERIGLASS KIT for polishing, perhaps once in 4 months or so.
For Regualr cleaning Meguiars D120 Glass Cleaner Concentrate

AMWAY may not be ideal for leather. Try something like Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cln/Cond.
APC should just be fine for the carpet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
  • Step 2 is not required
  • Step 4 is not required. DG 501 will clean the paint better than Meg's 205 can ever dream of.
  • Step 6 is not required - No need for IPA as 105 will sit nicely on top of 501. 601 will increase the durability and it will flash cure.
  • Step 8 should be optional and you should allow 2-3 layers of DG 105 to grow on you. If you don't like the look, you can top up with a good wax. If you prefer Collinite, C915 will look better than C845. DG105 looks better than C845 on its own.
DG 101, 105 and 111 are all Sealants with 111 being a pure sealant, 105 is an organic/waxy looking sealant with very minor cleaning ability while 101 is a sealant with good cleaning ability. You can use either 111 or 105, not both.

You can polish alloys with DG501, it will clean them very well. On paint, it leaves 3-4 month's worth of protection. This will be considerably reduced due to the heat so topping up with something like FK 1000P, Meguiar's M16 or good old Collinite will help.

For the glass, Carpro Ceriglass or AutoGlym Car Glass Polish are two very good options and are easily available in India.

This car was sealed with DG 601+105 recently.

BTW - where did you source all the DG products from?

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for the replies. Mudhalaipatti, I checked its Meguirs Hyper dresser, I don't have wheel brushes. I use dedicated cloth for alloys and cloth cleaning brush for tires . Regarding Amway leather cleaner. Its actually very good, kept my seats supple since long but then I never used anythign else till date. Will find meguirs and try this time.

Pedaltothefloor, I loved your detailing post, If I can achive half the shine on my car compared to yours, it will be enough for me. Actually I do not have the pressure washer so I wanted to get it washed outside and then do a ONR wash after reaching home to remove dust accumlated on the way back. What do you recommend 105 or 111 and What is FK 1000P? I have meguirs Tech Wax 2.0 also will it suffice and where I can pick up carpro ceriglass? I never polished my glass till date so I think it can do with a bit of polish.

I picked up most of my DG stuff from US on my last visit. I should have picked up a DA instead. May be next time if it ever happen.

Thanks a lot again for your help.

-Ijeet
ijeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 15:31   #8112
BHPian

ijeet - 105 is a newer formulation with an organic resin substance added to it. It does two things better than 111. One, while being as durable as 111; it looks more like a wax - dark and deep. Two, there isn't a need to use 601 but you can always use it to flash cure and extend durability.

111 on the other hand is pure sealant with absolutely no cleaners. It is an old school formulation that offers very reflective and glossy look, very often termed as "Hard Candy" or "Plasticky". I recently recommended 111 to a friend instead of 105 as he wanted maximum shine and reflectivity instead of the warmer look.

My guess would be that 111 will add more bling to your white car than 105. 105 looks spectacular on darker colors. If I were you, I would use 111 on one door and 105 on the other and let them cure and come back and decide what I like better. More so, since you already have both in your arsenal.

I will be using 111 shortly so look forward to your review on the Waxes and Sealants thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-sealants.html
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 18:09   #8113
BHPian

Can anyone help me with buying the proklear car shampoo as regards to where to buy?
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:08   #8114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
Can anyone help me with buying the proklear car shampoo as regards to where to buy?
It's a Rinseless wash by a local (Indian) company. I have never used it.
You can buy it here http://www.ebay.in/itm/PROKLEAR-RAW-...#ht_1421wt_689
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:18   #8115
BHPian

I find waxing manually is quite tricky; is there any applicator locally available which makes gripping easier while applying the wax? Can the same be used for
claying as well? Any suggestions please? Thanks n cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks