Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2009, 12:50   #631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
The beading or rubber channel at doors around the glass has hardened.
So everytime the glasses rattles, whenever i slightly roll the window down.
I tried few glycerine based items to put inside the gap of channels(where it holds the glass). But it doesnt work for long, because its not easy to reach those areas.

Is there any product to soften up these rubber beadings. Which can just make them flixible and prevent form hardening and wearing out.
I am planning to remove all the beadings, clean them with mild shampoo.
And then soak them in some chemical overnight, which can soften them.
Is there any such chemical available.
Old 15th May 2009, 12:55   #632
Team-BHP Support

Unless you know what you are doing (as in the "chemical" can be really trusted) dont do the above, coz you will land up with more issues later. Better thing is washing the beading with mild detergents so that all the dust, grime are removed and lubricate light with some silicone based lubes and refit.

or else replace them with a new set.
Old 15th May 2009, 15:25   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Unless you know what you are doing (as in the "chemical" can be really trusted) dont do the above, coz you will land up with more issues later. Better thing is washing the beading with mild detergents so that all the dust, grime are removed and lubricate light with some silicone based lubes and refit.

or else replace them with a new set.
Jaggu dada replacing will cost 800 INR per set.
And I also thought for putng some silicon spray or gel. But till now not able to find one.
Any idea from where I can get one.
Old 15th May 2009, 15:50   #634
Senior - BHPian

^^^I saw a spray in an automobile accessories shop few weeks ago. Did not buy it as it was bit expensive at around Rs. 350... and also it was a bit old. It specifically claimed to lubricate and protect/soften rubber, etc.

You could try WD40 also. It is claimed not to have any ill-effects on rubber.

Another product you could consider for lubing is Waxpol's Dry Graphite lubricant.
Old 15th May 2009, 18:39   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
Sonax has a great interior upholstery cleaner.....
Well, I was rather hoping that someone would say 'yeah, sure roy, you can unbolt your seats, wash them, dry them in the sun and put them back in your car'.
The sonax cleaner is good, but I have got the best results from from Wurth Upholstery cleaner. Not seen it in Blr, so will pick it up during my Chennai trip next week.
Old 15th May 2009, 18:45   #636
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
but I have got the best results from from Wurth Upholstery cleaner. Not seen it in Blr, so will pick it up during my Chennai trip next week.
Wurth is very good no doubt. But the problem is you don't get all their products here. And it's not only for Wurth but for other brands too.
Old 15th May 2009, 19:09   #637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I was rather hoping that someone would say 'yeah, sure roy, you can unbolt your seats, wash them, dry them in the sun and put them back in your car'.
The sonax cleaner is good, but I have got the best results from from Wurth Upholstery cleaner. Not seen it in Blr, so will pick it up during my Chennai trip next week.

Where is this available ?
Old 15th May 2009, 19:42   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Where is this available ?
I usually pick it up from Shell (Chromepet, I think). Any shell pump in Chennai would probably stock it.
Old 15th May 2009, 21:22   #639
BHPian

A very informative thread indeed. I have a few queries though -
The plastic "wrap-around" of the front windshield of my indica vista has started showing patches of grey/light discolouration. Is there any polish that can specifically bring back the original colour to this?
One other thing is that two different A S S have stuck their company name sticker on the painted surface below the rear windshield. When I asked the sevice station guys to remove these, I was informed that this would damage the paint and adviced me to leave it as such. Can someone tell me if there is a way to remove the stickers?
Old 15th May 2009, 22:29   #640
BHPian

Use a heat gun and a plastic scraper (old credit card) and it should come off.
Old 16th May 2009, 00:10   #641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
A very informative thread indeed. I have a few queries though -
The plastic "wrap-around" of the front windshield of my indica vista has started showing patches of grey/light discolouration. Is there any polish that can specifically bring back the original colour to this?
One other thing is that two different A S S have stuck their company name sticker on the painted surface below the rear windshield. When I asked the sevice station guys to remove these, I was informed that this would damage the paint and adviced me to leave it as such. Can someone tell me if there is a way to remove the stickers?
You should have taken them to task big time for that. Tell them you want it removed and everything should be as it was... and its not your problem how they do it. Tell them to repaint the panel if necessary. Lol!

You could also try getting WD40 to soak underneath... you may need to spray more than once... but it should work.
Old 16th May 2009, 00:16   #642
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
Jaggu dada replacing will cost 800 INR per set.
And I also thought for putng some silicon spray or gel. But till now not able to find one.
Any idea from where I can get one.
I still think its worth it, if they are damaged. A genuine new set should last for 5-10 years with good care.

Silicone spray/oil check with shop that sell industrial/lathe/machine oils. Might be a lil expensive stuff, last time i checked was some 10 years when i was associated with a manufacturing unit lol
Old 16th May 2009, 00:16   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
Can someone tell me if there is a way to remove the stickers?
I think diesel and a credit card would work better. Please try your various cards (visa,master, amex...) and let us know which works best for scraping stickers off.
Old 16th May 2009, 00:46   #644
Senior - BHPian

Wrong information provided by me so deleting the post

Last edited by amitk26 : 16th May 2009 at 00:50.
Old 16th May 2009, 23:11   #645
BHPian

Quote:
I think diesel and a credit card would work better. Please try your various cards (visa,master, amex...) and let us know which works best for scraping stickers off.
hahaha they dont accept credit cards!!

Thanks Raccoon & 71Convertible. Pardon me for my ignorance,BTW what's WD40?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks