Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2009, 20:54   #781
Senior - BHPian

Tried formula 1 wax on my fenders and bonnet to test first and was happy with the results.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the scratches on my bumper or do I need to get it repainted ?
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-car2.jpg  

Old 7th June 2009, 21:02   #782
BHPian

Can u post a close up of the scratches? Do they cut below the paint into the plastic?

I had scratches like this on my vectra bumper. I buffed out the lighter scratches with rubbing compound and scratch remover. For the ones that cut into the plastic, I sanded down the rough surface and touched up. I went to the local Glasurit dealer and picked up 100ml of color matched paint for a Rs2-300. And touched up with a brush. That got rid of the white color that stands out and will do the job till I repaint the bumper.

B
Old 7th June 2009, 21:13   #783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
It is mentioned on the bottle - Long lasting protection & UV sunscreen protection.
Are we talking about the same product??

Its not mentioned anywhere on the front of back labels.

Sorry for the poor resolution pics.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-070609_2107.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-070609_2108.jpg  

Old 7th June 2009, 21:16   #784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
Can u post a close up of the scratches? Do they cut below the paint into the plastic?

I had scratches like this on my vectra bumper. I buffed out the lighter scratches with rubbing compound and scratch remover. For the ones that cut into the plastic, I sanded down the rough surface and touched up. I went to the local Glasurit dealer and picked up 100ml of color matched paint for a Rs2-300. And touched up with a brush. That got rid of the white color that stands out and will do the job till I repaint the bumper.

B
yes some of them went quite deep .. brushed against a wall with a textured surface. tried using the f1 wax but didnt make a difference
Old 7th June 2009, 21:48   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Tried formula 1 wax on my fenders and bonnet to test first and was happy with the results.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the scratches on my bumper or do I need to get it repainted ?
I had mild scratches on my bumper and using 3M Finesse-it rubbing compound(Rs.56/-) and then 3M Premium Liquid Wax (Rs.80/-) the original appearance is back to original within minutes.
Old 7th June 2009, 22:09   #786
Senior - BHPian

^thanks, will give it a shot.
Old 7th June 2009, 22:19   #787
BHPian

Thanx gpa & racoon , What is the problem with rediff shopping ???
Old 7th June 2009, 22:30   #788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
Thanx gpa & racoon , What is the problem with rediff shopping ???
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...-shopping.html (Bad experience with Rediff Shopping)

See for yourself. Thread created on just a few days back 4th june, i always trust EBAY. Their working method is just too good and 6-7 products i bought so far came all perfect and not a single complaint.
I thought of trying rediff for some car care products but i dont want to risk even 500
Old 7th June 2009, 23:35   #789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
yes some of them went quite deep .. brushed against a wall with a textured surface. tried using the f1 wax but didnt make a difference
Wax / polish will be too mild for that kind of thing. You need a rubbing compound / scratch remover.
Old 8th June 2009, 00:31   #790
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
I got this synthetic chamois today from a car decor shop.
As per the shop guy, we can clean a dirty car easily with this and there wont be scratches. Its some chinese company and he said its 150 rs. I bargained this and the sonax gloss shampoo both for 500rs.

I just wetted this and it was easily picking up dirt and I think its far better than a cloth.
I have heard that chamois is a good water-absorber and we can dry a car quickly with it. This is the first time I am using chamois for "cleaning". Anybody use this?
Hey Neo - thats the same chamois i got from big bazaar @ rs. 99/-. have not used it yet.

but they say here that chamois is not to be used to wash the car & only to be used to dry it.

but thinking about it, how does one use it? you wash the car with lot of water & without wiping the water, soak it & clean it by chamois?
Old 8th June 2009, 08:28   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Hey Neo - thats the same chamois i got from big bazaar @ rs. 99/-. have not used it yet.

but they say here that chamois is not to be used to wash the car & only to be used to dry it.

but thinking about it, how does one use it? you wash the car with lot of water & without wiping the water, soak it & clean it by chamois?
What I do is spray water (using hose) all over the car and then wash it with banyan cloth dipped in diluted car shampoo and then wipe dry using the synthetic chamois.
Old 8th June 2009, 10:59   #792
BANNED

what is the difference in wipe drying of car with a) banian/ cotton cloth (Yellow OR Brown) & b) Synthetic Chamois ? If its just wipe dry what are chamois advantages over banian cloth?

can we use wet chamois to wipe clean the dust on the car at the end of the day? or is it not advisable?
Old 8th June 2009, 14:27   #793
BHPian

vahan,

In mornings, after I take the cover off, I find dust on the car.
So I needed a quick-fix solution, I can't keep washing car daily.

As per the shop guy, apparently ppl use this chamois to clean dirty car.
I just wetted this (make it slightly wet so that it slides on surface, not fully wet) and wiped with it (just like using a wet cloth). It seemed to lift dust really easily ... try it.
After a few wipes, rinse it again and reuse.
Any one here used it like this?

As for car drying: Chamois needs to be slightly wet for usage otherwise it becomes hard like cardboard. So apparently, even for drying the car, we need to wet it slightly so that it glides on the car (i read in some website)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post

Old 8th June 2009, 15:07   #794
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
As per the shop guy, apparently ppl use this chamois to clean dirty car.
I just wetted this (make it slightly wet so that it slides on surface, not fully wet) and wiped with it (just like using a wet cloth). It seemed to lift dust really easily ... try it.
After a few wipes, rinse it again and reuse.
Any one here used it like this?
This will be a very convenient & quick-fix solution to my unsolvable practical situation.

Gurus - any harm in using Chamois like mentioned above by Neo ? its very basic question but then we're using chamois for the first time
Old 8th June 2009, 15:44   #795
Senior - BHPian

I have a couple of pieces of natural chamois. And doing this would be committing suicide for your paint work. Mainly because chamois absorbs almost everything it comes into contact with - if you drop it, you need to wash it in detergent before you can be remotely safe to using it again. If you wash a dirty car with it, it'll be as good as a sandpaper.

Well, atleast that's how genuine chamois works. Chamois tends to absorb water and fine dust into it's pores instantaneously. But anything slightly large will stay on the surface and scrape on the paint. My advice? Don't. Use a fluffy, preferably white, terrycotton towel with two buckets of water. Wet the towel in one, wipe softly, rinse thoroughly in the second bucket and wet it again in the first bucket and continue.

And yes, you need to make the chamois slightly wet to use it as a drying element. You can use it as a polishing material dry. Not as good as a clay bar, but it works.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks