Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2009, 01:33   #766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
there are lots of scratches visible now on my brand new car Linea Flamenco Red.
I think i'll have to either remove my car washing guy (most of the minor scratches seem to be by improper cleaning) OR I've to ask him to WASH the car everyday.
Is there any harm if I get the car washed (instead of just wipe-clean) daily?
As I'd said before, the safest and easiest way to do it is to just wash it with a spray from a garden pipe... if possible. If your car has a good wax coat on, the job is gonna look even better. Plain water is least likely to strip the wax off either. Wiping with a cloth (damp/wet/whatever) will always carry a risk. And you can't keep getting rid of the scratches/swirl marks with a polish... it will keep thinning the paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Okay, the Amway leather cleaner thing is absolutely USELESS. Any tips for one that is any good?
Even I found it to be almost useless. After using a couple of Amway products, I never felt like trying any more.
Old 7th June 2009, 02:02   #767
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
As I'd said before, the safest and easiest way to do it is to just wash it with a spray from a garden pipe... if possible. If your car has a good wax coat on, the job is gonna look even better. Plain water is least likely to strip the wax off either. Wiping with a cloth (damp/wet/whatever) will always carry a risk. And you can't keep getting rid of the scratches/swirl marks with a polish... it will keep thinning the paint.
but after 2 hours of driving in mumbai B2B traffic & at 9.30 pm I can't wash the car with garden pipe daily. thats the difficulty
Old 7th June 2009, 06:21   #768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I use turtle wax leather treatment. It has lanolin, aloe vera and cocoa butter. Very gentle. The leather feels supple and not oily or sticky and gets the matt look back. It doesn't shine at all. Infact removed the shine from the leather.
But does it clean? The car's latest stint with Honda A.S.S has left a lot of dirt in the leather. The Amway thing removes the grime on the surface. But any in the 'grooves' in the leather pattern (I hope you understand what I'm talking about) stay put. Sure, the leather becomes supple and smooth again, but as an overall effect, it is slowly going darker and looking dirtier.
Old 7th June 2009, 15:47   #769
BHPian

Hello Boys

Please Tell Me Few Things First...

1. Is Waxing Every Week Or 10 Days have Any Negetive Effects ???

Asking Because I Give My Red Pulsar A Coat Of Formula 1 Carnuba Wax After Every 10 Days Just To Get That Great Mirror Like Shine.

2. Is Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell Paste Superior Then Formula 1 Carnuba Wax.I Know It Is Unavailable In Market(Atleast Delhi) But We Can Get That Here.

3.Any Good Thing To Remove Stains From Beige Colour Doorpads Of Verna.

Waiting For Your Answers.....

EDIT: How Are These Buy One Get One Deals ?????

Cleaning Products, Buy Cleaning Products, Cheap Cleaning Products

Last edited by NOTORIOUS : 7th June 2009 at 15:49.
Old 7th June 2009, 15:53   #770
BHPian

synthetic chamois cloth

I got this synthetic chamois today from a car decor shop.
As per the shop guy, we can clean a dirty car easily with this and there wont be scratches. Its some chinese company and he said its 150 rs. I bargained this and the sonax gloss shampoo both for 500rs.

I just wetted this and it was easily picking up dirt and I think its far better than a cloth.
I have heard that chamois is a good water-absorber and we can dry a car quickly with it. This is the first time I am using chamois for "cleaning". Anybody use this?
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-photo0051.jpg  

Last edited by neotraveller : 7th June 2009 at 15:56.
Old 7th June 2009, 16:02   #771
BHPian

^^^^ What Is The Colour Of Your Sonax Gloss Shampoo.Red or Yellow. What Is The Cost ???
Old 7th June 2009, 16:18   #772
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Haven't used it yet, so wont comment on it yet... but it does not claim to have any UV filters. How long do you feel it lasts? How long does it bead water?
I have recently started using 3M's liquid wax polish. The gloss and shine is comparable to Formula 1's Carnauba polish. The 3M product does have UV filters and the gloss lasts for a fairly long time and it beads water for about 2-3 weeks at the most.

Again, this depends on the way you treat you car. If you leave it exposed to the elements like harsh sun and rain, the beading lasts for about 2 weeks after which you will have to recoat it.

I did a full wax of my Alto 2 weeks ago and with heavy rains here in Bangalore almost everyday, the beading of water was present till about last Friday. I promptly washed and waxed the car again today and the gloss is back. I would rate the product a 7/10

Attached is a pic of the glossy bonnet

Cheers,
gpa
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-shine.jpg  

Last edited by gpa : 7th June 2009 at 16:20.
Old 7th June 2009, 16:26   #773
BHPian

@vahanpujari, I am in same dilemma as you, although I have covered parking in office and home. There is lot of dust near my house and early in the morning, the dust comes through the car cover too.

I agree, we should not wash car daily because of above mentioned reasons AND also we wont have time for that during weekdays.
So best use wet-cloth/chamois to clean the dirt off and use a chamois to dry the car.
Also shampoo-wash and wax on weekends. I guess this is going to be my targeted way from hereon.
What do you guys use to clean the car during the car-shampoo? I saw online that they use wash-mitts. Can we use regular sponge?

It was orange in color. The rate was scratched off, he said its 500rs.
I bargained this shampoo & the chamois both for 500rs.
I am also curious to know thecost of sonax shampoo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
^^^^ What Is The Colour Of Your Sonax Gloss Shampoo.Red or Yellow. What Is The Cost ???

Last edited by neotraveller : 7th June 2009 at 16:31.
Old 7th June 2009, 16:27   #774
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
but after 2 hours of driving in mumbai B2B traffic & at 9.30 pm I can't wash the car with garden pipe daily. thats the difficulty
I truly understand what you mean. I have covered parking both at work and at home, so I don't face the problem that you do. The only way out of this situation is to wash the car with a hose whenever you can. Coat the car with a good wax and that will stop those fine scratches from happening. If possible, try and park your car inside your building compound, to ensure that nobody scratches it when walking past.

But by all means, do not cover your car after a long drive thru heavy traffic as that will create a million scratches on the roof and bonnet areas.
Old 7th June 2009, 16:31   #775
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
This same brand of Sonax shampoo retails for ~Rs. 250/- for a 1 litre bottle in METRO here in Bangalore.

Last edited by gpa : 7th June 2009 at 16:38.
Old 7th June 2009, 16:37   #776
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Is Waxing Every Week Or 10 Days have Any Negetive Effects ??? - It won't have any negative effect, apart from you losing a few calories

2. Is Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell Paste Superior Then Formula 1 Carnuba Wax. - It claims to be better. I have used both and have not noticed a difference

3.Any Good Thing To Remove Stains From Beige Colour Doorpads Of Verna. - try good old Colin spray...works wonders
Find my responses in bold.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 7th June 2009, 18:50   #777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Boys

Please Tell Me Few Things First...

1. Is Waxing Every Week Or 10 Days have Any Negetive Effects ???

Asking Because I Give My Red Pulsar A Coat Of Formula 1 Carnuba Wax After Every 10 Days Just To Get That Great Mirror Like Shine.

2. Is Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell Paste Superior Then Formula 1 Carnuba Wax.I Know It Is Unavailable In Market(Atleast Delhi) But We Can Get That Here.

Waiting For Your Answers.....

EDIT: How Are These Buy One Get One Deals ?????

Cleaning Products, Buy Cleaning Products, Cheap Cleaning Products
As I'd mentioned a few posts earlier, waxing frequently (like every 10 days) can be harmful if the product is also a polish! For waxing frequently use only a pure wax or protectant. Formula 1 Carnbha wax paste is not ment for this. It will thin your paint! Forumla 1 has a polymer based liquid protectant you can use more frequently (I haven't tried it yet... so don
t know how good it is). Else you can try a similar product from Turtle or any other reputed brand. The Turtle wax hard shell (in your link) seems safe for frequent use.

The products in your link seem overpriced. Also, after reading about Rediff on team-bhp, I'd be very wary about buying anything from Rediff. Consider Ebay or something else, instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I have recently started using 3M's liquid wax polish. The gloss and shine is comparable to Formula 1's Carnauba polish. The 3M product does have UV filters and the gloss lasts for a fairly long time and it beads water for about 2-3 weeks at the most.

Again, this depends on the way you treat you car. If you leave it exposed to the elements like harsh sun and rain, the beading lasts for about 2 weeks after which you will have to recoat it.

I did a full wax of my Alto 2 weeks ago and with heavy rains here in Bangalore almost everyday, the beading of water was present till about last Friday. I promptly washed and waxed the car again today and the gloss is back. I would rate the product a 7/10

Attached is a pic of the glossy bonnet

Cheers,
gpa
Good to know that. My bottle of 3M liquid wax is still unopened as I haven't found the time to try it out yet. However, it is nowhere mentioned on the bottle or even on the 3M website that the product has UV filters. So how do you claim that property?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
What do you guys use to clean the car during the car-shampoo? I saw online that they use wash-mitts. Can we use regular sponge?

It was orange in color. The rate was scratched off, he said its 500rs.
I bargained this shampoo & the chamois both for 500rs.
I use a regular sponge to lightly apply the shampoo. Does the job for me.

You have been duped. Sonax Shampoo is available for much less. You should have suspected it when you saw the price scratched off.
Old 7th June 2009, 19:13   #778
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So how do you claim that property?
It is mentioned on the bottle - Long lasting protection & UV sunscreen protection.
Old 7th June 2009, 19:30   #779
Distinguished - BHPian

Repeat : leather cleaner only for Pure Leather.

Quote:
ImmortalZ : Okay, the Amway leather cleaner thing is absolutely USELESS. Any tips for one that is any good?
Guys, use a leather cleaner (and also the conditioner) ONLY if you have PURE Leather. Like Stanley.

For art leather / leatherite, use mild soap water / general automotive cleaner (like Formula1).
Old 7th June 2009, 19:30   #780
BHPian

I am in China, and here the whole range of waxes from Turle are avaibale in Wallmart.
What is the price of 3M Carnuba wax
and Turtle Platinum series Wax.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks