Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2009, 14:14   #691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is an alternative to bucket & cloth? wash thro' Hose pipe? if thats not possible, any other better alternative?

my car is 1 month old & there are already swirls visible plus few small minor scratches
Get a microfibre or chenille wash mitt instead of cloth. And make sure at first you spray water from hosepipe to wash of the layer of dust and then use wash mitt and bucket with water and carshampoo.

Quote:
my car is 1 month old & there are already swirls visible plus few small minor scratches
Same here. i guess we cannot avoid swirls and minor scratches. May be after a year we can go for 3M surface refinement treatment to have the swirls out.

Last edited by geeash : 26th May 2009 at 14:20.
Old 26th May 2009, 14:28   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Same here. i guess we cannot avoid swirls and minor scratches. May be after a year we can go for 3M surface refinement treatment to have the swirls out.
Or a mild rubbing and waxing?
Old 26th May 2009, 17:43   #693
BANNED

I've used Euro Gold Spray Shiner (Pic attached below) on my Linea 3 weeks after DIY F1 Carnauba waxing. After applying this spray, the surface is very very smooth & feel somewhat oily-kinda. End of the day if I move finger on the paint to check dust, the dust feels like damp (not 100% dry) & sticks with the finger. Yday after reaching home, before puting on car body cover, I tried that multi-colored duster to see how it cleans the dust (normally I do not wipe the dust before putin on car cover - scared of wiping dry dust). the damp-kinda dust sticked to duster when I very lightly moved duster over the surface.

While applying this shiner (seems to be a detailer), I observed it initially leaves rainbow type spot (similar to what normally petroleum product leaves during monsoon), when the excess deposit is to be wiped off with a cloth, this spot gets lighter. The car surface became so smooth that the body cover fell twice to one side while i was trying to put it on (happened first time hence could notice the difference)

I got this at a petrol pump in a combo pack when I was buying a scrach remover.
Am not sure whether any adverse effect of using this?
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20090503043.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20090503044.jpg  

Old 26th May 2009, 17:55   #694
BHPian

I dont like Euro gold personally. Yeah it leaves too oily a finish just after applying. Tried it on the bike (my lab rat is the CBZ). Did not like it. Easy for cleaning plastics on bikes.
Old 26th May 2009, 18:06   #695
Senior - BHPian

I would tell you not to use a shiner as this early (i think it is only made of soap oil). It kind of make the dust stick to the surface and makes removal during wash all more difficult as it is oily. Waxing is more than enough. As waxing beads water and when water flows automatically dusts get washed by it.
Old 27th May 2009, 09:35   #696
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
I dont like Euro gold personally. Yeah it leaves too oily a finish just after applying. Tried it on the bike (my lab rat is the CBZ). Did not like it. Easy for cleaning plastics on bikes.
What is it actually? Someone here said it might be a detailer? Is it?
Does it have any adverse effect on paint etc or one can use it?

The issue I'm facing is the washer guys generally do not do the daily wash. Though I've asked him not to touch the car with dry cloth without washing, I'm not sure how he is doing it early morning. At the most he might be doing soak cloth kinda cleaning but that too I guess may lead to scratches. My car is always parked in open so end of day it becomes dusty & on top of that late evening I put on body cover on it when I reach back home.

Found this old bottle to be useful in above scenario but am not sure about its side-effects, if any?
Old 27th May 2009, 10:03   #697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is it actually? Someone here said it might be a detailer? Is it?
Does it have any adverse effect on paint etc or one can use it?
I remember the old petrolbunk guy selling this along with a stain remover and a couple of other spray for 350rs a pack or bundle. These cheap things are not detailers they are just soap oils put in container (that is why the rainbow appears). And moreover the pack used to state that this spray should be used on dashboard and vinyls to get the black look. You can smell it and it will be just soap oil on the container. Even the eurogold glass cleaner just has soap water. Dont even dare to use these things on paint as it will make dust to stick on it and will not go away during wash causing more scratches. And on long term usage the sheen of the paint comes off making it dull. It is better to wash the car with carshampoo (3M) and water every week sunday and wax it thoroughly. On rest of the days just use a soft cloth and dust it first and the wipe it clean. The shine will last if u use good quality wax like turtlewax or even better is meguiar wax which is the best but pretty expensive.
Atleast that is what i do. what say car gurus?.............
Old 27th May 2009, 11:18   #698
BANNED

Gurus - Another query

I've a New Linea Flamenco Red colour. Should I go for 3M Paint Protection treatment right away? Will it help avoiding minor small scratches particularly due to wiping/ cleaning etc?

OR should I wait for a year & then get the 3M surface refinement treatment done? Does it remove scratches?
Old 27th May 2009, 11:59   #699
nitin.dangayach

wats best for removing Tar & black Spots:

WD40 or Diesel ?

heard WD40 is too strong.... true ?

Old 27th May 2009, 12:56   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.dangayach View Post
wats best for removing Tar & black Spots:

WD40 or Diesel ?

heard WD40 is too strong.... true ?
Nothing like too strong , I highly suspect it to be same as Kerosene / ATF ( C-8 to C-15) filled in a can with a propellant ( going by smell and feel between fingers)

Following link confirms this , it seems WD-40 is around 80% Kerosene / ATF ( C-8 to C-15 hydrocarbon) and some 10% light machine oil and another 10% for increasing stability propulsion etc.

WD-40

You need a cleaning agent for removing tar and not a lubricating agent so a 100% kerosene or 100% petrol ( next higher in packing order of number of carbon in chain ) will be better then WD-40

I cleaned Holi colors from my maruti bonnet using petrol as they were not going with diesel and WD40

Diesel has certain lubricating properties so leaves the surface greasy and you need to shampoo the car.

See Tar is soluble in Diesel / Petrol / Kerosene and paint is not soluble in any of them so just try whatever is available easily/cheaply to you.

Last edited by amitk26 : 27th May 2009 at 13:05. Reason: Editing to provide link
Old 27th May 2009, 18:01   #701
Team-BHP Support

Diesel is the safest bet, especially if you have a light colored car/repainted surface etc. Ensure you wash it off with good car shampoo.
Old 29th May 2009, 10:03   #702
Distinguished - BHPian

Fell prey to a bad interior leather detailing job yesterday. The chaps used some petrol based liquids to clean the seats which have left a heady odour in the car. I had managed to almost preserve the new car smell for over a year and a half but now it's all gone !
Please recommend some good leather cleaning products to get the smell back. I don't want to use air freshners,etc. Just need the leather to smell right.
Location in Bandra side to buy the product would help too..
Old 29th May 2009, 15:42   #703
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Consider Formula 1's dashboard cleaner spray. It can be used on leather. Its got a nice citrus fragrance and works good too.
Old 29th May 2009, 15:49   #704
BHPian

I dont think thats a good idea. You have buy a upholstery shampoo and shampoo the whole seats. Then use a leather conditioner, Turtle Wax or Stanley Leather conditioner.
Old 29th May 2009, 16:03   #705
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ Consider Formula 1's dashboard cleaner spray. It can be used on leather. Its got a nice citrus fragrance and works good too.
Yes, Formula 1 Dashboard Cleaner spray is good & the smell is also good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks