Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2009, 22:04   #676
BHPian

Rather than using Com-paint, find your nearest Glasurit or Dupont auto paint dealer. I called the sales office of Glasurit in Mumbai and got a phone number for the local sales rep who then pointed me to a dealer.

They will have the codes on their system to match the color exactly . You can buy a 100ml bottle, thinner, hardener (not really needed) for a few 100 Rs.
Old 23rd May 2009, 09:45   #677
BHPian

my Car car experience

Love this thread though I could not post much here. I am a big fan of my car, and a big fan of keeping it clean. Being the owner of a black car there goes my luck. But here is my list of stuff:

Sonax Gloss Shampoo: The best shampoo that I have used so far, gone through multiple bottles till now and highly recommended. Leave the car clean with a nice shine. I have tried Motomax, Armorall shampoos. The downside it that it needs a lot of water to rinse off.

Armorall Ultra ShineWash and Wax: Just wanted to try wash and wax, but not a fan now. The wash and wax that blew my mind was Turtle wax Zip Wax. Boy that was something else. I have tried both Armorall Wash and wax (blue colour liquid) and this Ultrashine wash and wax. Am not happy with the washing properties neither the shine properties. So this is neither there or here. Leaves a coat of wax on your glass so not recommended for use on glass.

Motomax Shampoo: Very mild shampoo, I did not like it. used it only once.

Exterior:

Turtle wax Platinum Ultra Gloss Liquid Wax: The best wax I have used so far. This leave a superb shine on your car which lasts for several months. Takes a lot of effort getting that shine but no pain no gain.

Turtle Wax Hard Shell Wax: Not as good as the Platinum series, but easily available and lasts longer. Shine is a bit lesser but this is the starting of the good stuff. I use it inbetween my platinum applications.

Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax: This is a cleaner wax, I use after a long distance journey or if I have not waxed for a couple of months. It contains cleaning agents along with carnauba wax to take away those small particles that stick to your paint and leave a good shine. Shine is good, application is difficult this being a hard wax. Smells amazing, yeah am a sucker for wax smell. The car will be waxed properly after application of the cleaner wax. Thats basically a coat of cleaner wax and then a coat of proper wax.

Turtle Wax Platinum Ultra Gloss Detailer: this is for those weekend when I am feeling lazy. Quick and easy to apply and clean dust particles and fills swirl marks. Nice smell again. This is NOT a substitute for wax not is it a wax. This is just a detailer or final finishing product. This is to be used on a well waxed car. Can be applied to exterior plastics also, acts as a protectant.

3M Finesse Rubbing compound: Used mostly on bumpers and lower portion of the car to take away those scratches. Light enough to be used without diluting with water. Wax immediately after application.

Mothers Chrome Polish: Damn good stuff, Baleno comes with some chrome inserts here and there. Mirror like finish, Best and only product I have used.

Mothers Power Metal Polish: Dont use it much except on my valve cover. Thing cleans and polishes to whatever finish you want. The problem with this one is that effort is too too high. Unless you have a power ball or something very difficult to go at it for hours.

WD40: for those tar sport and difficult to remove stuff on the lower part of the car.

Cyclo Brake Cleaner: Very good stuff, removes dirt, grime and brake dust from you brakes. The brakes become sharper after usage. I ran out of these stuff, need to get that.

Armorall Tire Foam: Excellent stuff, no substitutes, leave a deep black tyre wall. Easy to apply, just spary and leave for ten mins. Easy to clean your wheels just before going out for a TBHP meet. These guys make the best tire foams I have used.

Sonax Windscreen Liquid: I use it regularly, not sure if its the best. Good cleaning and foaming properties.

Colin: I find it an easy solution to clean anything glass. Especially the insides. I need to get a windscreen cleaning liquid.

Cleaning the car is done by 3M microfibre cloth and chamois leather for drying.

Interior:

Son of Gun Protectant: I am very impressed by this one. Get genuine stuff from abroad and it leave a good shine with good protection. No whitening of plastics etc etc. Easy to apply.

Armorall Orginal Protectant: As good as any proetectant. Cant make any difference, good stuff. Use it on all the platic trims inside.

AutoCare Upholstery Shampoo: I had never heard of Autocar but popular in middle east. A friend got this for me, and I found it very good for tough stains and dirt.

Turtle Wax Leather cleaner and Conditioner: Damn good stuff for mild cleaning and conditioning. Leather feels good to touch and looks rich. that looking rich part is exceptionally good.

I need to buy more stuff like a good Alloy wheel cleaner, Glass cleaner and I am eyeing another can of Turtle wax Platinum and Turtle Wax F21 polish.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-myshelf.jpg  

Old 23rd May 2009, 13:39   #678
BANNED

excellent info, crazydiablo particularly for those like me who have just started DIY car care stuff recently
Old 23rd May 2009, 19:50   #679
BHPian

Thanx a lot crazydiablo, quite enriching. And the visual was specially appealing !!
Old 23rd May 2009, 20:33   #680
BHPian

Thats good stuff there crazydiablo.

Do you get all this stuff in India or have to get them from abroad?
Also what are the prices like?
Old 23rd May 2009, 22:13   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post

Cleaning the car is done by 3M microfibre cloth and chamois leather for drying.

Excellent info man.

Can you tell me how do you use microfibre cloth (even I have bought the same)? My question is do you use it dry for picking up dirt (in that case wouldn't it scratch the car surface) or use it wet?
Old 23rd May 2009, 22:57   #682
BHPian

crazydiablo, That was wonderful. the Pic kinda put things in perspective - its the visual thing!
I once read a quote " A fan of cleanliness will have many fans" If you're a fan of takin care of your car- in the process you'll have many wanting to do the same or simply appreciate you for it.
hope to see your car some time!
Old 24th May 2009, 00:30   #683
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
excellent info, crazydiablo particularly for those like me who have just started DIY car care stuff recently
Crazydiablo

where can I can I get all these stuff in Mumbai?
Old 24th May 2009, 16:56   #684
BHPian

Thanks guys, wife complains non stop about the shelf though.

Some of these stuff I got from abroad but the market is so open that you get almost everything here.

Meguirs, Turtle Wax, Armorall, Sonax is available here for waxes. Turtle wax platinum series, F21 and normal turtle wax is availble in accessories shop and that goes for Armorall. Meguiers you have to hunt down the dealer, there is one guy in Bangalore. Sonax is even available in supermarkets.

The good thing is that there is not much price difference between US and here. Probably around 50 or 100 bucks or so. Most of these things go for around around for 10dollars in US. And you can also asks friends/relatives to bring down stuff. Ask for specific names or else they will just pick the first wax they find on the shelf. Walmart, Target or any big supermarkets have tons of these stuff. Never buy everything at once, it hurts to spend thousands at one go for car care. But do it slowly and steadily you will have everything you want, and these things last quite long.

I never touch my car when its dry. It better be dirty than do more harm. I dont wipe down when dirty, its always rinse and then wash with car wash. I use the microfibre wet, it cleans without scratching and absorbs water. Chamois use with caution, not really reco for hard use. The problem with chamois it will take away water too well and might take away wax also. So chamois is for light usage, and definitely recommended for glass.
Old 24th May 2009, 21:34   #685
BHPian

where did you pick up the micro fiber cloth?
Old 24th May 2009, 22:09   #686
BHPian

Picked it up from EVO, bangalore. Its a 3M product should be available in cochin or try Road and Track Kottayam.
Old 24th May 2009, 22:22   #687
BHPian

I'll check there... The chamois doesn't seem to hitting the right notes!
thanks man.
Old 26th May 2009, 00:22   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
I never touch my car when its dry. It better be dirty than do more harm. I dont wipe down when dirty, its always rinse and then wash with car wash.
An often overlooked aspect of car maintenance. I follow the same rule and my car is swirl free even after 18 months and 36k km. The bucket and cloth wipe method does indeed mess up the paint in the long run. A bit like using sandpaper to clean the car.
Old 26th May 2009, 11:23   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
With the 6 lts we can only clean and drive so that 1000 - 2 = 998 more things that can be done with WD40 I guess that is surely a better buy
Official List of 2000+ Uses for WD-40
Official List of 2000+ Uses for WD-40
I have nothing against WD40 it is for water displacement ( WD ) , Out of those 2000 uses some 40% ~ 50% seems to be exterior cleaning related so let me rephrase my statement to keep WD40 folks happy.

Buy a can of WD40 for removing water from locks , cables , joints etc and for cleaning use Diesel so you can prolong the use of your WD40 Can and need to fork out money only for 1 + (1/6) cans instead of 2 cans if you were using only WD40 and no diesel
Old 26th May 2009, 14:02   #690
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
An often overlooked aspect of car maintenance. I follow the same rule and my car is swirl free even after 18 months and 36k km. The bucket and cloth wipe method does indeed mess up the paint in the long run. A bit like using sandpaper to clean the car.
What is an alternative to bucket & cloth? wash thro' Hose pipe? if thats not possible, any other better alternative?

my car is 1 month old & there are already swirls visible plus few small minor scratches

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks