Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2009, 07:41   #526
BHPian

I've been trying to settle on the best polish for my car - I've tried the Formula1 and also The Amway S glaze.. I found the Amway one to be better. I know there are folks even on this thread who've used it. I wanted to know if there is something better and also is it fine to use those motor like gadgets instead of your hand. I saw a small hand held 12v DC model with a buff cloth and stuff; wanted some advice on this.
Old 28th April 2009, 10:06   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
I've tried the Formula1......
I think most of the Formula1 tins are fakes. In Blr, I have not yet come across a genuine Formula1 wax. In my experience, the fake stuff is good for about 2 weeks. The shine starts wearing off before your aching arms have completely healed.
I have got good results with Turtle wax. It seems to be a little difficult to source. If you are buying one, do not hesitate to take the lid off to make sure that its ok before you pay.
Meguiars is good but expensive. Lots of people swear by our good old Waxpol. I am planning to try this once my Turtle wax runs out.
IMHO, the motorized buffing machine is not a very good idea. Regular use may do more harm than good. Better to do it by hand. If you are not keen on sweating it out, there are good liquid waxes from Sonax and 3M.

Last edited by Roy.S : 28th April 2009 at 10:11. Reason: Typo
Old 28th April 2009, 10:12   #528
Senior - BHPian

Don't use buffing machines unless you are a professional. They can do more harm than good.

I've used Amway's Silicon Glaze. It is good until the car needs a polish. Once the paint is that dirty, the wax simply doesn't adhere. I switched to Meguiar's after that. A clay job followed by a TechWax 2.0 coat looks fabulous.

Spraying with water doesn't take off dust once it has settled even slightly. It is even worse with wax applied because the water doesn't spread and wash the dirt down - it just beads off rapidly.
Old 28th April 2009, 10:13   #529
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
IMHO, the motorized buffing machine is not a very good idea. Regular use may do more harm than good. Better to do it by hand.
It needs a serious practise. There are chances of surface getting damaged due to wrong pressure.
Old 28th April 2009, 11:56   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think most of the Formula1 tins are fakes. In Blr, I have not yet come across a genuine Formula1 wax.
I've bought a tin of F1 wax from SPAR in Bangalore. Dont think it would be a fake.

I am still looking for a cleaning cloth - both for the body and glass. I have chamois leather and 3M cloth. But they dont seem to be doing their work effectively.
Old 28th April 2009, 12:41   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
I've bought a tin of F1 wax from SPAR in Bangalore. Dont think it would be a fake.

I am still looking for a cleaning cloth - both for the body and glass. I have chamois leather and 3M cloth. But they dont seem to be doing their work effectively.
For cleaning cloth, a good old banian cloth seem to do a good job.
Old 28th April 2009, 15:20   #532
Senior - BHPian

Hasn't anybody tried Formula 1 Shine It All? I saw a good sized bottle in a shop for Rs. 300. Considering it as its liquid... and supposedly does not leave that chalky reside which the F1 paste leaves.

I'm guessing it should be better than Waxpol's Protectol.

Formula 1 - Specialty Polishes

Last edited by Raccoon : 28th April 2009 at 15:22.
Old 28th April 2009, 16:21   #533
Senior - BHPian

I found a Recron micro fibre cloth by Reliance Industries for 75 bucks.
Old 28th April 2009, 17:07   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Where can I buy good leather cleaning solutions in Bandra, Mumbai?
Have tried a few HP petrol pumps but they don't seem to stock any leather shampoo/conditioners.
Old 28th April 2009, 20:11   #535
Senior - BHPian

^^^You expect to find such stuff in PSU petrol bunks?? Slim chance dude. Go to a auto parts shop or something. Try something from some well known brand like F1, etc. Even Waxpol has somethng for that.
Old 28th April 2009, 21:29   #536
BHPian

Cement Clot on the Roof of M800 - Successfully Removed without Scratches..!!

I was able to remove the Cement Clot without any scratches on my Baby's (M800) roof.

For 3 days, i use to moisten the clot with a wet cloth placed on it, and today evening i tried to scrub the clot with flat plastic stick, and it went off with a light hand without even scratching the surface involving an effort that lasted merely for 15 minutes.

Then applied the rubbing compound, and the procedure which was suggested by Rudra Sir did the trick.

@Rudra Sir

Thanks for the Valuable suggestions, they did the trick in removing it without scratches, even then i applied the Rubbing Compound

@Dockap,

Thanks mate for your concerns & valuable suggestions.

Was not able to take the pic of the same, will try to post it tomorrow positively.

Last edited by sharma_sanjeevi : 28th April 2009 at 21:32.
Old 28th April 2009, 23:47   #537
BHPian

Quote:
I think most of the Formula1 tins are fakes.
Any pointers on distinguishing a fake tin from an original?
Old 29th April 2009, 01:01   #538
Senior - BHPian

^^^Very, very difficult to make out just form the tin! Rather, buy only from a reputed place with cash memo. Get used to the colour, texture of the product... so in case you get a fake, you can make it out. Some shopkeepers even tell you point blank which one is fake if you ask them. But better still don't go to a shop that stocks fakes... reputed places will not/should not stock them.
Old 29th April 2009, 01:14   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
Any pointers on distinguishing a fake tin from an original?
Refer to Rudra's detailed post on 'Keeping your car clean'. He mentions under the 'Waxing' section the identifying characteristics of a fake tin.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-clean-32.html (For All Car Lovers - Keeping Your Car Clean)
I used the fake stuff for a few months and always wondered why the shine wore off so soon. When I tried to find a replacement, the market seemed to be flooded with fakes. Gave up and bought Turtle wax (Rs 268 for 270 gm). Much better.
And Sanjeevi, I congratulate you! I was sure wetting the cement would harden it. Good thing it worked for you. How about a pic?
Old 29th April 2009, 09:52   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
I was able to remove the Cement Clot without any scratches on my Baby's (M800) roof.

For 3 days, i use to moisten the clot with a wet cloth placed on it, and today evening i tried to scrub the clot with flat plastic stick, and it went off with a light hand without even scratching the surface involving an effort that lasted merely for 15 minutes.
Congrats buddy,

I think water wasn't a good choice, as it would have made cement more toughened.
Just thought that, Its better to put some paint freindly oil, as firstly it wont toughen the Cement, and secondly oil stays for more time then water. Mayve Diesel is good option.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks