Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2009, 19:32   #406
Senior - BHPian

I did use Silicon Glaze for the waxjob I did yesterday. I'll have to try 3M polish later.

Any one else have any more thoughts?
Old 20th January 2009, 20:38   #407
BHPian

Can you post a picture?

Try to take a picture at a shallow angle with the flash and without. Maybe you can capture this texture in a picture.

Good luck!
Old 26th January 2009, 16:43   #408
BHPian

I have a black Unicorn which I have been waxing frequently (every 2 weeks). Recently, I had skipped waxing it for 3 weeks and the wax layer was off. I face a problem now.

I am an ERP Consultant for manufacturing companies. In the last 3 weeks, while the wax layer was off, I have been going to one of these factories, and there a lot of metal dust has collected on the tank and is not coming off. While the wax layer was on it, I was able to dust it all away easily. But now, there is a fine layer of this metal dust, and is not coming off no matter what I try. It feels very rough when I run my fingers on the surface. I am yet to try petrol/diesel on it, but I wanted to consult here first. I have tried 3 types of shampoos but no go yet. This dust is stuck on every painted part, like the side panel, cowls, tank, fairing and mudguard.

What do I do? How do I get this off?

Prajwal
Old 15th February 2009, 03:05   #409

metal dust and enviornmental contaminants

Hey Prajwal,
Greeting from Southern California USA.
The metal dust is embedded in your paint and can only be removed safely one way. You must use a detailing clay bar known as "claying".

It is a very special automotive clay that must be used with a lubricant (auto detailing spray or similar). The clay is designed to pull imbedded contaminants out of paint without any harm to the paint. It has been around for about 10yrs (mostly for professional use only)...however just now making its way into the consumer level.

It was invented in Japan and designed for the auto factories to remove overspray safely from new cars...then it was discovered it removed "rail dust" sintered metal from trains wheels that landed on cars while cars were shipped by train to car lots from the factory. It truely is a wonder product...once you "clay" your car...it will feel smooooooth as silk...you can acutally feel the difference.

There is a trick to see if you need to clay(even if you think your paint is in great condition)...take a thin clear plastic sandwich baggie and place your hand in it and lightly rub on your paint finish...even if you think your paint is in good shape...you will be shocked at how rough it will feel...it is bc of micro embedded contamainants that can only be taken out by claying...not even polish will take them out.

If you do not have sources for clay where you live let me know and I can help out.
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:54   #410
BHPian

Anti rust coating...is it worth the cost?

Service station staff and dealer staff alike have recommended that I get the anit rust coating done for the car underebody. Is it required in a city like Delhi? Is it really necessary and helpful or is it just another way for dealers to increase revenue from customers?
Old 2nd March 2009, 21:19   #411
BHPian

How to remove Double tape mark from my Car Bumper? URGENT!!

Hi All,

Would really appreciate if any of you could help me? I searched in the forum but was not able to find any information on it.

Actually I have a SX4 with Body Kit, I am actually removing the body kit. After removing it there are stains of the double tape adhesive on my bumper. Would appreciate how do I get rid of it without damaging the car bumper paint.

Thanks,
Neeraj

Note from Team-BHP Support: Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd March 2009 at 22:52. Reason: search please
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:36   #412
Senior - BHPian

Use a fine rubbing compund like scratchout or thinner can be used (with care).
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:28   #413
Senior - BHPian

Thinner is the best way to remove those things do it with care.
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:34   #414
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Use a fine rubbing compund like scratchout or thinner can be used (with care).
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Thinner is the best way to remove those things do it with care.
Thinner should not be used on paint. You need to loosen those gumming mark by soaking them with thicker grease cutter like PRIL. Apply a concentrate coat of PRIL and water on them. Use cotton wool to apply this. Keep it for an hour. Wash it off. While washing rub out those gum marking with your fingers.

It may not get cleaned in one go. If that's the case, repeat the process.
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:21   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj_infopark View Post
Hi All,

Would really appreciate if any of you could help me? I searched in the forum but was not able to find any information on it.

Actually I have a SX4 with Body Kit, I am actually removing the body kit. After removing it there are stains of the double tape adhesive on my bumper. Would appreciate how do I get rid of it without damaging the car bumper paint.

Thanks,
Neeraj

Note from Team-BHP Support: Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.
WD40 is supposed to remove stickers and adhesives. Just spray, soak for sometime, and try wiping off. Its worth trying as its v likely the least harmful method of all the above, for painted surfaces.
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:41   #416
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Its worth trying as its v likely the least harmful method of all the above, for painted surfaces.
Grease cutter is not harmful at all. However WD40 can be tried. I have no idea about that process however.
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:57   #417
Senior - BHPian

Pril is for utensils! Very likely that it isn't going be very nice to your paint. Thats why we have car shampoos!
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:58   #418
BHPian

If the mark are not very huge use eraser yes pencil eraser if possible try to get green/pink color eraser (Camlin etc) Avoid white soft eraser. Rub it on the surface it will come out easily. I tried it on glass surface of my car and came out. Initially it will spread and become sticky but keep on rubbing softly it will come out.
Also my earlier neighbour who was into plastic hoarding/number plate/stickers etc making used LOC product from Amway. It was very effective.
Old 4th March 2009, 01:24   #419
BHPian

Where can get the "clay bar" in Bangalore? I enquired at few auto shops in central Bangalore, but they are not even aware of what it is? I am looking for a fine Clay bar for detailing.

Any reference will be appreciated.

manju
Old 4th March 2009, 01:28   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj_infopark View Post

One way to remove adhesive like stickers is use hair drier. Heat the surface with the hair drier where the adhesives needs to be removed and the stickers/adhesive will peel off.

manju

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks