Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:05   #2131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post

its perfectly safe for new cars!
In fact, I'd take a bottle with me while going to take delivery if I were you! (and wax it then and there only)

Do buy a few microfiber towels with it too!(better than conventional cloths as they don't scratch the clear coat and are soft on the paint surface)
Waxing on a brand new car or a freshly painted car is not recommended because paints require curing and breathing. You'l have to wait for atleast 4months after it is painted.
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:16   #2132
BHPian

@sohail: I had a look at the website for TW Platinum Seris precision Car wax. It does contain polishing agents to remove light oxidation and stubborn road film.

Does the towel change to the paint color on using this product?
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:52   #2133
BHPian

Quote:
As far as the info on the back label of the bottle is concerned, there is no integrated polish in TW precision series car wax!

as I said, its a blended wax(i.e. Synthetic sealant + natural wax) where synthetic polymers help seal the paint finish and natural carnuba provides a deep gloss to the paint

its perfectly safe for new cars!
In fact, I'd take a bottle with me while going to take delivery if I were you! (and wax it then and there only)

Do buy a few microfiber towels with it too!(better than conventional cloths as they don't scratch the clear coat and are soft on the paint surface)

NOTE - When the dealership guys say 'Teflon', they are talking about waxing!!(which you can do yourself, with more dedication and care)
+ they use 3M liquid wax which I feel is not that durable
Thanks for the confirmation Sohail. My "brand new car" is about 2 months old . I meant I was planning to get the Precision Car Wax this weekend. And thanks to you all, I have a bunch of m/f towels from 3M and Turtle Wax.

The Precision Car Wax does have polishing agents but I suppose all blended natural waxes with synthetic additives do so in certain amounts to remove "light" oxidation. So, I agree it is probably quite safe without the harsh polishing abrasives. I recall having seen the Platinum Series Ultra Gloss Detailer too at Xenos which I believe can be used on new cars after a wash to protect the wax (cf. Turtle Wax FAQ). Hopefully, will get to check that out too.
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:08   #2134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Waxing on a brand new car or a freshly painted car is not recommended because paints require curing and breathing. You'l have to wait for atleast 4months after it is painted.
I agree! Waxing on a freshly painted part is not recommended(only applicable for re-painted panels)

factory paintjobs are baked at high temps and don't require curing! You can wax them as soon as they roll out of the assembly line!

Refer attached pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
@sohail: I had a look at the website for TW Platinum Seris precision Car wax. It does contain polishing agents to remove light oxidation and stubborn road film.

Does the towel change to the paint color on using this product?
I too saw the website! It says the same(about it containing polishing compounds)

though I dont understand how polish will act as we just leave it there to dry!
AFAIK polishes have to be worked into the paint !

Also modern paint finishes are clear coated!
so even if you abrade the clearcoat, the towel wont change color(as clearcoat is 100% transparent) unless you've abraded all of it and reached the underlying paint!

I'd suggest you stick with other waxes then!
Attached Images

Last edited by sohail99 : 23rd April 2010 at 12:10.
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:34   #2135
BHPian

Quote:

I too saw the website! It says the same(about it containing polishing compounds)

though I dont understand how polish will act as we just leave it there to dry!
AFAIK polishes have to be worked into the paint !

Also modern paint finishes are clear coated!
so even if you abrade the clearcoat, the towel wont change color(as clearcoat is 100% transparent) unless you've abraded all of it and reached the underlying paint!

I'd suggest you stick with other waxes then!

Sohail, now I am totally confused.
I would prefer the Premium wax over Hardshell because you mentioned that Premium wax acts as a sealant. But I am worried that it might eat into the paint due to the polishing agents that it has. I will be waxing my car once a month and that too with a buffing machine!!

Last edited by benzinblut : 23rd April 2010 at 12:36.
Old 23rd April 2010, 13:02   #2136
Senior - BHPian

I'll go and check out the local shops today!

will report back on what you should get!
Old 23rd April 2010, 13:59   #2137
BHPian

Quote:
I'll go and check out the local shops today!

will report back on what you should get!
Thank you so much mate!
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:16   #2138
BHPian

Quote:
I will be waxing my car once a month and that too with a buffing machine!!
my two cents on this.

why do you want to wax your car every month? I mean if you wash less frequently (twice a week) and offcourse properly wash the car, wax should stay for atleast 3 months. I think it will b good to wax the car only once it stops to bead water. Also please do not plan to apply wax with a mild polishing rubbing compound so frequently. It will remove a very thin layer of paint every time you wax. Even it removes 1micron , remember that your paint is just 25-30 micron thick max.

I had recently been to carzspa and the owner told me that one of his clients came with an 3 yr old Indica for paint treatement. However he was unable to help him as the car owner applied rubbing compound frequently on his car and now even a layer of wax would chip off the paint (owners reason was "Shine"). However this case is extreme but I belive small amount(read as light rubbing compound) are added in wax to get light oxidation (to obtain shine ), hence removing a thin layer of paint evry time you apply it.

I would recommend please defer cycles . I guess 4 times a year will be a nice thing for anyones car

Last edited by mailmishra : 23rd April 2010 at 17:19.
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:27   #2139
Senior - BHPian

hey guys, i am looking for a good leather cleaner, preferably a spray. which one would you recommend?

are armor all products really good? i had bought a tyre cleaner from armor all & was not that impressed.

also, after i spray the cleaner on the seats, what type of cloth should be used to clean the seats? normal cloth used for vehicle exterior cleaning would do?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 23rd April 2010 at 17:29.
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:51   #2140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmishra View Post
my two cents on this.

why do you want to wax your car every month? I mean if you wash less frequently (twice a week) and offcourse properly wash the car, wax should stay for atleast 3 months. I think it will b good to wax the car only once it stops to bead water. Also please do not plan to apply wax with a mild polishing rubbing compound so frequently. It will remove a very thin layer of paint every time you wax. Even it removes 1micron , remember that your paint is just 25-30 micron thick max.

I had recently been to carzspa and the owner told me that one of his clients came with an 3 yr old Indica for paint treatement. However he was unable to help him as the car owner applied rubbing compound frequently on his car and now even a layer of wax would chip off the paint (owners reason was "Shine"). However this case is extreme but I belive small amount(read as light rubbing compound) are added in wax to get light oxidation (to obtain shine ), hence removing a thin layer of paint evry time you apply it.

I would recommend please defer cycles . I guess 4 times a year will be a nice thing for anyones car
Car is washed daily. I want to retain the shine and that original look, so I am looking to wax it this frequent. Thats the reason why I am looking for wax with absolutely no abrasives. Every time it will be a light hand with the woolen buff pad. If the wax has abrasives then the cloth wil change color, isnt it?

Yes polishing compounds will eat away the paint and I am staying away from them. I think that if a wax has no polishing agent in it, it should ideally be harmless. Thats what I am looking for!

Inputs please!
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:19   #2141
BHPian

Quote:
Car is washed daily. I want to retain the shine and that original look, so I am looking to wax it this frequent. Thats the reason why I am looking for wax with absolutely no abrasives. Every time it will be a light hand with the woolen buff pad. If the wax has abrasives then the cloth wil change color, isnt it?

Yes polishing compounds will eat away the paint and I am staying away from them. I think that if a wax has no polishing agent in it, it should ideally be harmless. Thats what I am looking for!

Inputs please!
Why wash car everyday? Why no wipe it couple of days and then give a wash. If you get hold of a nice duster like Jopasu or california(Ideal but difficult to buy in India). These can wipe your car in minutes and if its only dust that keeps your car dirty then no one can say that the car is not washed. I personally use jopasu duster. My car is washed just twice a week, but wiping it brings it as good as washed. Let me know if you need jopasu dealer details.

Regarding wax, atleast what I have read on T-Bhp . Best are carnuba based wax the one you used. Plain simple and hard to apply. Even I have heard nice review of 3m Liquid wax. Check its contents, if that is plain one. Not sure where can we get that in Navi Mumbai.
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:46   #2142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmishra View Post
Why wash car everyday? Why no wipe it couple of days and then give a wash. If you get hold of a nice duster like Jopasu or california(Ideal but difficult to buy in India). These can wipe your car in minutes and if its only dust that keeps your car dirty then no one can say that the car is not washed. I personally use jopasu duster. My car is washed just twice a week, but wiping it brings it as good as washed. Let me know if you need jopasu dealer details.

Regarding wax, atleast what I have read on T-Bhp . Best are carnuba based wax the one you used. Plain simple and hard to apply. Even I have heard nice review of 3m Liquid wax. Check its contents, if that is plain one. Not sure where can we get that in Navi Mumbai.
The car is washed by our watchman so no problem of washing it daily. The cloth is replaced when its about to lose its softness. His wash is really good and if i use a light hand with a soft cloth after he has done his job, the paint really shines.

Where can i get the duster? I hope it has good life unlike the ones we get at the signal. I am looking for a good one and so is a friend of mine.

About wax, yes basic wax is what I need. Dont want any wax with even mild rubbing compound. Waxpol carnuba is good but its too cumbersome Using it will automatically result in a lesser frequent waxing . I think TW hardshell should be the one. Awaiting sohails report on that.
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:53   #2143
Senior - BHPian

I had a look around the shops with some detailing supplies

there are different types of waxes,

pure waxes - only contains carnuba or only synthetic sealant(this is the one you want)

cleaner waxes - waxes with paint cleaning compounds and polishers
(for older cars)

One thing you might like is TW zip wax(wash and wax)
basically its a soap soln. with mild wax mixed to it, so that after washing and wiping the car it'll leave a 'just waxed' gloss! (everyday! + it'll do the job of maintaining your primary wax coat)

others i saw were TW hard shell paste, tin can one

Then there was Abel Auto's Liquid Wax

one dedicated wax you might like is 'Formula1 Carnuba gold clear coat wax'

it comes in a dull gold colored plastic container and is a pure wax

I use it to top my coat of NXT and the gloss is really amazing

application and removal is also easy!

Another one I saw was 'Eagle One nanowax paste' (never used it, but you can check out its info on eagle one's website (google them))

I use eagle one's nanowax spray to maintain my i20's wax coats and it does a pretty good job!

Will update on any new stuff that i find
(there were a few waxes from '3N' i would'nt recommend using them!
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:59   #2144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow - whats the full name? Nayabazar's Nakli Nanowax?
Old 23rd April 2010, 23:29   #2145
BHPian

Quote:
I had a look around the shops with some detailing supplies

there are different types of waxes,

pure waxes - only contains carnuba or only synthetic sealant(this is the one you want)

cleaner waxes - waxes with paint cleaning compounds and polishers
(for older cars)

One thing you might like is TW zip wax(wash and wax)
basically its a soap soln. with mild wax mixed to it, so that after washing and wiping the car it'll leave a 'just waxed' gloss! (everyday! + it'll do the job of maintaining your primary wax coat)

others i saw were TW hard shell paste, tin can one

Then there was Abel Auto's Liquid Wax

one dedicated wax you might like is 'Formula1 Carnuba gold clear coat wax'

it comes in a dull gold colored plastic container and is a pure wax

I use it to top my coat of NXT and the gloss is really amazing

application and removal is also easy!

Another one I saw was 'Eagle One nanowax paste' (never used it, but you can check out its info on eagle one's website (google them))

I use eagle one's nanowax spray to maintain my i20's wax coats and it does a pretty good job!

Will update on any new stuff that i find

It seems that you took some efforts really. thanks for the info dude! great job

I will stick to the basic wax as of now. TW hardshell wax is the one for me as it has no polishing agents in it.

Now my next task: looking for TW hardshellwax in vashi. Didnt find it near palmbeach mall. Next will look for in sec17 mechanic area and inorbit mall

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks