Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2014, 19:56   #8941
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

All these years, I only cleaned my cars and never bothered about detailing. When living in the US, I didn't use any of the better stuff either, instead just used some cheap stuff from Target/Walmart , cleaned with California dusters and washed down my cars with a hose or even visited automatic car washes. Nothing changed after returning to India either.

Visited this thread and the other one about waxes/sealants and now I'm hooked.

Had already bought a Jopasu duster, 3M shampoo, Proklear Extreme and Ultimate Quik Wax (UQW) from Meguiar's.

The car was washed during the first service 5 days back and I cleaned it with Proklear before applying UQW a couple days back.

The first two are taken with a phone camera just after I applied the UQW in the evening. The third picture was taken the next morning and there was already a thin layer of dust.

Pretty happy with the shine. Am thinking of getting something like Carpro Reload for the base coat. What will the best options ?. The surface is still quite smooth and I'm thinking of putting off claying for another 6 months.

Are there any good retailers for Carpro/Ultima/etc in south Chennai around Adyar ?. Jeewajee in Nandanam only carries Meguiar and 3M.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20141106_175511_lls.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20141106_175526_lls.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20141107_071245.jpg  

vivriti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 22:00   #8942
BHPian

Sooo many pages, and so many choices - I am all confused !

Anyways, my car's silver color has become quite dull - not visible when the car is viewed alone, but apparent when the car is next to another silver!

Can someone please let me know what to purchase - cheap and easy to do ?
Or if its just too much effort, a shop/detailing place near Gurgaon/Delhi/NCR to get it done ?

Last edited by ptaneja : 9th November 2014 at 22:12. Reason: Spelling
Old 10th November 2014, 02:30   #8943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivriti View Post
All these years, I only cleaned my cars and never bothered about detailing. When living in the US, I didn't use any of the better stuff either, instead just used some cheap stuff from Target/Walmart , cleaned with California dusters and washed down my cars with a hose or even visited automatic car washes. Nothing changed after returning to India either.

Visited this thread and the other one about waxes/sealants and now I'm hooked.

Had already bought a Jopasu duster, 3M shampoo, Proklear Extreme and Ultimate Quik Wax (UQW) from Meguiar's.

The car was washed during the first service 5 days back and I cleaned it with Proklear before applying UQW a couple days back.

The first two are taken with a phone camera just after I applied the UQW in the evening. The third picture was taken the next morning and there was already a thin layer of dust.

Pretty happy with the shine. Am thinking of getting something like Carpro Reload for the base coat. What will the best options ?. The surface is still quite smooth and I'm thinking of putting off claying for another 6 months.

Are there any good retailers for Carpro/Ultima/etc in south Chennai around Adyar ?. Jeewajee in Nandanam only carries Meguiar and 3M.
I would not suggest Reload for your car as Reload is more of a top up for cars coated with Cquartz. Colanite 845 will be a good option for you, easy to apply and 2 coats will easily last for 2 or 3 months. If you are willimg to spend a bit, get yourself an elastrofoam as well to clay the surface before applying Colonite. A good surface prep is required before any waxes or sealants are applied to get the best out of it.

Last edited by Scorpioman : 10th November 2014 at 02:32.
Old 10th November 2014, 08:30   #8944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpioman View Post
get yourself an elastrofoam as well to clay the surface before applying Colonite.
Is it much easier to use elastrofoam ? claying properly with a regular bar is day's job !
Old 10th November 2014, 09:17   #8945
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
Is it much easier to use elastrofoam ? claying properly with a regular bar is day's job !
Claying with elastrofoam would take 2 hours max for a car of Polo size. Besides you need not have to worry about dropping it. Whereas clay would become useless if you drop it elastrofoam would need a rinse to get back to work.

Frankly clay bars are a passe now. Once you use elastrofoam or similar products from other manufacturers you would be kicking yourself why on earth you did not purchase it earlier .
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 18:57   #8946
BHPian

Quote:
I take about 2.5 hours for my Linea but it is done every 2 months. For a polo it should take 2 or 3 hrs max. Safer than clay as it can be rinsed and used again if it falls on the ground.

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th November 2014 at 08:23. Reason: Spell check
Scorpioman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 14:05   #8947
BHPian

Quote:
Not only easy to use, it is economical as well when compared to the cost of claying bar. It costs around Rs.1700 where as clay bar from popular brands starts from Rs.4000
SaurabhSaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 20:02   #8948
BHPian

Anyone here using Amway Silicone Glaze? Just tried the Amway car wash and was satisfied with the results, so planning to go for Silicon Glaze too. Suggestions?
Old 11th November 2014, 20:56   #8949
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Anyone here using Amway Silicone Glaze? Just tried the Amway car wash and was satisfied with the results, so planning to go for Silicon Glaze too. Suggestions?
It's a decent glaze. Will give you good shine. Remember to top it up with a couple of coats of sealant. Else the glaze will just wash off
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 21:51   #8950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
It's a decent glaze. Will give you good shine. Remember to top it up with a couple of coats of sealant. Else the glaze will just wash off
Appreciate the quick response buddy. Could you suggest a VFM sealant too? So the procedure is like :

- Dust with Jopasu Duster
- Wash with Amway Car Wash
- Apply a single coat of Silicone Glaze
- Top it up with two coats of Sealant

Right?
Old 11th November 2014, 22:59   #8951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Appreciate the quick response buddy. Could you suggest a VFM sealant too? So the procedure is like :

- Dust with Jopasu Duster
- Wash with Amway Car Wash
- Apply a single coat of Silicone Glaze
- Top it up with two coats of Sealant

Right?
Collinite 845, megs nxt tech 2 wax, gtechniq silo seal are a few good sealants
Old 16th November 2014, 21:25   #8952
BHPian

Could someone comment on the long term safety and effectiveness of this clay bar alternative?
Old 17th November 2014, 18:53   #8953
Senior - BHPian

While cleaning the car, the "2.0" decal came off the car. The adhesive gave up, it seems.

Now, I have cleaned that part and want to stick it back in place. What kind of adhesive should be used?

I am referring to the chrome lettering which is stuck on the car (like the badges that you see on the backside of the car.)
Old 17th November 2014, 19:31   #8954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
While cleaning the car, the "2.0" decal came off the car. The adhesive gave up, it seems.

Now, I have cleaned that part and want to stick it back in place. What kind of adhesive should be used?

I am referring to the chrome lettering which is stuck on the car (like the badges that you see on the backside of the car.)
Check the item description of this ebay listing. It says to use 'Fevi kwik' in addition to the adhesive already present on the emblem. Can't comment on the safety of the same on clear coat.

BTW this one is actually meant exclusively for the purpose you mentioned.
Old 17th November 2014, 20:10   #8955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

You need to get a roll of 3M Automotive Double sided tape and stick it on the badges like I've done below

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20140511_105711.jpg

Pretty sure no one will ever be able to pull the badges off if you use 3M tape. Fevi Quik is a very bad idea which will leave runs and look bad if you have a dark coloured car.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks