Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2017, 23:25   #10291
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrikhav View Post
As I am living in a peripheral city, don't have any reliable detailers here. Only option is to take it to company authorized workshop. I am already having nanoskin block for decontamination. Will that work on it? Any particular lubricant will help? I use ultima waterless wash regularly.
As audioholic mentioned, try claying once. You can try ONR as lubricant for claying.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 09:49   #10292
BHPian

Will claying remove the swirls? What should be used before and after a clay?
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:32   #10293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Will claying remove the swirls? What should be used before and after a clay?
No claying will not remove swirls. It will remove bonded contaminants on the paint that are not removed by simple washing.

Before claying you need to wash the car to be free from dust and particle.

You can try swirl removing/scratch removing by polishing after claying. Else you can use a wax/sealant.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:49   #10294
Senior - BHPian

Experiment - Collinite 845 for windshield and windows:

During the recent rains, I noticed that my wiper was struggling to move around, and also the pattern of water droplets was not uniform and hence making driving at nights a tough task. While being stuck in the traffic last evening, with water clouding the windscreen, I was wondering if I could use Collinite 845 on the windshield too.

I got home and immediately did some googling and found nobody had reported issues with this application of Collinite 845, and started working on the windscreen too. This morning, on the way to office, I noticed that the water beads far more efficiently now, but the wiper still struggles. I feel it struggles even more than it was struggling earlier - maybe improper application on my part to be blamed?
Old 3rd November 2017, 08:43   #10295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post

This morning, on the way to office, I noticed that the water beads far more efficiently now, but the wiper still struggles. I feel it struggles even more than it was struggling earlier - maybe improper application on my part to be blamed?
I have used Collinite for the side and rear glasses of my cars, my helmet visor and yes it indeed works well in the rain. I can see the ORVMs when it is dark better than when not using the wax since the water beads well and the remaining water droplets form small circles in between which we can view the surroundings more clearly. However, with the windshield, though I have tried it, I am unsure of its longevity or any other coating since the wiper action is quite pressurized and the windshield washer fluid will contain detergents. Hence, this will wear out any coating within no time and hence no such coating has lasted me long. Best is to use a nice windshield washer additive like Sonax or such which will give you good results, especially in keeping the wiper blades in good shape. In contrast, Collinite stays for a longer time on my Helmet visor since I rarely wipe it hard, except for some dusting and a gentle wipe with a damp microfiber.

Last edited by audioholic : 3rd November 2017 at 08:44.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 18:10   #10296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pictures of the above experiment... As I had mentioned already, the water beads beautifully now, and the glass also feels smoother to run a finger through than earlier. But peculiarly, the wiper still seems to struggle!

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-garage_c.jpg
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-road_wc.jpg
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 19:42   #10297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would not suggest using collinite or any other wax / sealant on the windshield.
Please use some hydrophopic coating, after polishing your windshield with the right tools & polishes.
Also, old wipers shall judder no matter what.
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 22:36   #10298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Also, old wipers shall judder no matter what.
I definitely do understand and admit that fact. But what is very intriguing is that the juddering has increased a lot after the Collinite application
Old 8th November 2017, 01:08   #10299
BHPian

Is there a professional headlight restorer you folks could suggest in Mumbai? I have a BMW 7 whose headlight lens is faded and pitted. Would love to get a high quality professional/service who can restore it - any suggestions?
Old 8th November 2017, 19:28   #10300
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used two different brands of microfiber cloths. I recently started using the 3M microfiber and it does a decent job but not as good as the Sonax one that I got with the car care package from Nexa.

Recently I happened to see a Meguairs micro fibre cloth. As per my reading one of the quality tests of microfibre is that the strands catch the ridges of your palm which means that there are more strands per inch translating into better water absorption. Meguairs seems better to the touch in this respect?

Any inputs on the performance of different brands with respect to drying cars after a wash?

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 8th November 2017, 22:59   #10301
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Any inputs on the performance of different brands with respect to drying cars after a wash?
It won't be the brand that matters so much as the weave etc.

I've used microfibre cloths and towels of many brands and no brands over the years (I'm an absolute microfibre fanboy: you won't find me using cotton any longer, for anything) and I'd say that, unless it is designed/sold as a towel (I have some lovely soft bath towels!) then the key strength of microfibre is deep cleansing rather than absorbing large amounts of water.

However, of course, yes I do use it to dry the car. Recently, I got these cloths from Amazon. They have a very soft pile, and they do seem very good at drying. They pick up water well: just squeeze it out and pick up some more. Or use two or three to dry the whole car.

I wish I could get the same cloth three or four times the size!

I think that I'd buy polishing cloths from an auto detailing supplier. It is nice to have real thickness and deep pile, and that is not much needed for most tasks. Otherwise, try some of the cheap cloths. You'll be surprised how little you actually need a brand name!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 00:14   #10302

Need some advice on APC.
I am planning to buy APC first time. Please suggest me some good brands for the same.
Apart from interior cleaning and wheel cleaning, whether it can be used on paint for removal of tar or other bonded dirt? Whether all brands are paint safe or only few(like sonus All in one)?
Old 21st November 2017, 09:52   #10303
Team-BHP Support

Please suggest a good car shampoo which can remove stubborn inspect remains, dust/grime and cow-dung etc from insides, that is on wheel wells and foot steps. The Amway car wash isn’t helping much.
Something which should be available online. And where do I get Collinite online?
Old 21st November 2017, 11:07   #10304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrikhav View Post
Need some advice on APC.
I am planning to buy APC first time. Please suggest me some good brands for the same.
Apart from interior cleaning and wheel cleaning, whether it can be used on paint for removal of tar or other bonded dirt? Whether all brands are paint safe or only few(like sonus All in one)?
I have been using Auto Finesse Verso APC for quite a while. Diluted 1:5 with water it is good for interiors. Lazy me uses the same for tires, alogwith scrubbing with a tire brush.

For wheels, I use Bilberry wheel cleaner diluted 1:10.

APC on paint should effectively strip all LSP / wax.
But for Bug / grease, try Autofinesse Citrus power. I have found it excellent to remove greasy palm spots from interior trim after the car came back from garage.

For removing tar from exterior paint, try TarX or TRIX (works on tar + iron particles).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Please suggest a good car shampoo which can remove stubborn inspect remains, dust/grime and cow-dung etc from insides, that is on wheel wells and foot steps. The Amway car wash isn’t helping much.
Something which should be available online. And where do I get Collinite online?
Pre soak the bug guts / dung with 1:5 diluted APC, or citrus power and then after a while pressure wash, then shampoo. Use a wash mitt for upper panels (till door panel), a sponge for lower panels (running board), and a long handle fender brush for wheelwells.

Collinite 845 may be had from the below sources (no affiliations)

http://www.bringingbest.in/index.php...product_id=191

https://www.greenzcarcare.com/produc...ant=3797026949
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 14:49   #10305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Please suggest a good car shampoo which can remove stubborn insect remains, dust/grime and cow-dung etc from insides ...
For a minute, I wondered how you came to have all that stuff inside your car. Even mine is not that bad!

Quote:
that is on wheel wells and foot steps.
OK... I don't think that shampoos are the answer. I think that a pressure washer is the answer to wheel-wells etc. Even then, some preliminary soaking may help.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks