Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2017, 10:36   #10201
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
What is the best and easy way to clean this?

I tried 1:4 diluted vinegar and the image is after brushing (soft toothbrush) with vinegar.
You have to determine what the residue is. If it is hard water spot, then try vinegar. If 1:4 does not work, try raw vinegar. It is not harmful provided you wash thoroughly with water subsequently.
If it is wax residue, try IPA or APC. WD 40 is excellent for removing wax residue, sticker adhesives, tar spots etc.

Last edited by archat68 : 16th August 2017 at 10:37.
Old 16th August 2017, 16:22   #10202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
You have to determine what the residue is. If it is hard water spot, then try vinegar. If 1:4 does not work, try raw vinegar. It is not harmful provided you wash thoroughly with water subsequently.
If it is wax residue, try IPA or APC. WD 40 is excellent for removing wax residue, sticker adhesives, tar spots etc.
It definitely looks like hard water. May be I should try with little higher concentration of vinegar or raw vinegar.
Old 25th August 2017, 21:02   #10203
BHPian

Have purchased IPA liquid & White vinegar (non-fruit) for a home made degreaser. I intend to use them on windshield and car badge/emblem to get rid of the hard water stains, oil & grease.

IPA was brought from Amazon, the label on the bottle mentions IPA percentage as 99%:
https://www.amazon.in/IPA-Iso-Propyl...words=cero+ipa

White vinegar has 5% acidifying agent.

Can someone advise me on right ratio for this mix? Thanks!

Rgds,
Vinod
Old 26th August 2017, 12:23   #10204
BHPian

Saw some great deals before applying any discount codes - no seller affiliation..

1. Mothers 91516 Marine Cleaner Wax - 16 oz. - Imported | eBay

Marine cleaner but clear-coat safe as well. I have the marine spray wax and it works great.

2. Mothers 10424 Reflections Leather Care - 24 oz. - Imported | eBay

Reflections leather care - should last a long time

3. Mothers 05550 California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax Paste-12 oz-Imported
High quality wax - equivalent of Meguairs Gold Class

Enjoy!
d_himan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 13:39   #10205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Saw some great deals before applying any discount codes - no seller affiliation..

1. Mothers 91516 Marine Cleaner Wax - 16 oz. - Imported | eBay
Enjoy!
Thanks. Placed an order for Mothers 91516 Marine Cleaner Wax - 16 oz. - Imported(http://www.ebay.in/itm/Mothers-91516.../112175321818?) .Just Rs 225, surprised.

Last edited by shetty_rohan : 26th August 2017 at 13:41.
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 15:16   #10206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Thanks. Placed an order for Mothers 91516 Marine Cleaner Wax - 16 oz. - Imported(http://www.ebay.in/itm/Mothers-91516.../112175321818?) .Just Rs 225, surprised.
Must be a clearance price. Anyway, most of these products work well for years even if the stock is old. I have a 2010 sealant and a wax which work perfectly fine even today!
Old 26th August 2017, 15:34   #10207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

3. Mothers 05550 California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax Paste-12 oz-Imported
High quality wax - equivalent of Meguairs Gold Class

Enjoy!
This is an excellent wax. I bought few tins all thanks to you

My tin. Its over half a decade old but still works well

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20150827_114241.jpg

This is how my car looks with 2 coats of the mothers wax.

SunnyBoi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 09:09   #10208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3. Mothers 05550 California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax Paste-12 oz-Imported High quality wax - equivalent of Meguairs Gold Class
Thanks for this but unfortunately I was too late. It is OOS at eBay.in. Hope to grab a few cans next time.

I am a big fan of Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba and synthetic waxes like Megs Ultimate/NXT and of course the redoubtable Collinite trio 845, 476 & 915.

Used Mothers wax many years ago in the mid-2000s and dropped it after I started using Megs. Would like to give it a go again given especially given its reasonable price.

Quote:
Must be a clearance price. Anyway, most of these products work well for years even if the stock is old. I have a 2010 sealant and a wax which work perfectly fine even today!
It's possible that they're introducing a new range of products or getting rid of old stock hence the clearance sale. Who cares? It's us the end users that benefit I too have used 6-7-year-old waxes with no problems.

Last edited by R2D2 : 27th August 2017 at 09:16. Reason: Added reply
Old 27th August 2017, 10:27   #10209
BHPian

I've these glue residue marks on the bonnet from parking under a tree. The regular wash didn't remove them. Even rubbing with a MF seems useless. What can I use to remove it?
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1503809847365.jpg  

Old 27th August 2017, 11:10   #10210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
I've these glue residue marks on the bonnet from parking under a tree. The regular wash didn't remove them. Even rubbing with a MF seems useless. What can I use to remove it?
This is tree sap.
Use a good quality bug & tar remover like F1 Bug & tar remover, Autofinesse Oblitarate, or TARX.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 14:14   #10211
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
This is tree sap.
Would WD40 do any good? Or is this stuff too heavyweight for that?
Old 27th August 2017, 14:24   #10212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Would WD40 do any good? Or is this stuff too heavyweight for that?
Never tried it actually, so can't comment !
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 16:59   #10213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
One of the take-aways from this is to avoid parking under a tree for extended periods and if you MUST make sure you clean off any tree sap at the earliest.

Like bird droppings, some tree sap scars the paint. If cleaned off quickly you can use some water and car shampoo, if it is has hardened or burned in as I call it try using a commercial tree sap/tar removing product. And paint with no wax protection on it is more susceptible to such damage.

You can try using one of those sap/tar removal products or Isopropyl alcohol but I feel a slightly more serious treatment may be necessary if the sap has 'aged' on the surface.

Use a dab of Meguiar's Ultimate compound (or polish) on that spot and rub it off using a microfiber cloth to check if the scar goes away.

Please remember, compound, polish sealant and wax are different products though many tend to use them these terms interchangeably.

If the compound removes the stain, wash the hood, dry it and then apply a coat of wax. If a DIY does not work take it to a detailing professional who will have the materials, tools & techniques to repair the damage.

Some steps I follow:

a) Avoid parking under trees that excrete a lot of sap. You'll know the first time you park your car. Better to park in the shade of a building. If there is no option check the paint after you return and remove tree sap using a microfiber cloth dipped in a solution of water and car shampoo at the earliest. I clean my car immediately so plain water also works.

b) NEVER park under a coconut tree. A 500g to 1 kg coconut falling from 30-40' can put a big dent in the sheet metal or break a windshield.

c) Under leaking drain pipes and ceilings in garages.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 15:26   #10214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
This is tree sap.
Use a good quality bug & tar remover like F1 Bug & tar remover, Autofinesse Oblitarate, or TARX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
One of the take-aways from this is to avoid parking under a tree for extended periods and if you MUST make sure you clean off any tree sap at the earliest.
Thank you, I've ordered a suitable product today. The age of the sap is about a week now, although I had cleaned it with shampoo immediately after. I'm anxious now. Will use the product and update this thread.

Regarding not parking under such trees, I completely agree but I had no option then. I was out to a friend's orchid and the only other option was to park on the narrow road frequented by pickup which could very likely leave a dent :(
Old 3rd September 2017, 08:07   #10215
BHPian

Just did a shampoo and waxing of my cars, shampoo used - sonax, wax - collinite 476S.

The sonax shampoo seems as effective as the amway I was using earlier. This is the first time I am using it. Have been an amway shampoo user for the past 2 decades.

I shampoo the cars only when I have to wax them every 4 to 5 months, otherwise it's just a daily plain water wash.

This 476s lasts really long, though it does take some effort to rub it in and then buff it off.

The end effect ufcourse, is very satisfying. I can't help but look at these cars in admiration every time.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1504406153976.jpg  

hubolt is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks