Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2017, 15:51   #10051
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post

I also need to get a new bottle of touch up wax, and am thinking of getting Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax, which costs twice as much as the Formula 1 Spray Wax (Rs. 995 vs Rs. 443). Is it worth it. I want a spray wax with a bit more shine.
I have the 3M bottle that's in the picture to the right and it does a mediocre job, but then again for the price you cant complain.

Meguiar's quik wax IMO is a waste of money. I have a half bottle lying around since a while.

If i want a quick detailer, i use Ultima waterless wash with a double concentration. ie 26 ml to 500 ml ( product to water dilution) and it gives a far better result.

If you are looking for an "all in one polish" that works great with manual application, try autoglym super resin polish
nova9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 15:58   #10052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
If i want a quick detailer, i use Ultima waterless wash with a double concentration. ie 26 ml to 500 ml ( product to water dilution) and it gives a far better result.
Is that similar to the Proklear Waterless Wash and Wax? Does it work on a dusty car or do you have to remove the dust before spraying the product (not for detailing, but for a quick wash, normal dilution). Also does it cause smearing on the windows when used as part of a waterless wash?
Old 9th March 2017, 18:03   #10053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Is that similar to the Proklear Waterless Wash and Wax? Does it work on a dusty car or do you have to remove the dust before spraying the product (not for detailing, but for a quick wash, normal dilution). Also does it cause smearing on the windows when used as part of a waterless wash?
Proklear is a poor copy of Ultima and Optimum no rinse. Ive heard a lot of people complain that Proklear leaves streaks so i never tried it.

Never had such an issue with Ultima.. even on glass

What you need to do is clear any dust thats on the car using a duster like jopasu and then just spray the product and wipe off, easy as that

If you are in a hurry and its only dust and not mud/dirt then you can skip the jopasu part.

Of course if there is bird poop or any mud/dirt stuck then you need to spray and let it stay till the poop loosens and then gently wipe it off

Last edited by nova9 : 9th March 2017 at 18:06.
Old 12th March 2017, 19:03   #10054
BHPian

It was time for some detailing as the last detailing was done few months back in August 2016. In between the car traveled across the hinterlands of UP on all sort of roads. We stayed in our village for extended time period where morning dew was a regular feature on a dusty car. Since August I only used ONR wash & wax every 15-20 days in a quick detailer ratio. Only in the month of December 2016, I used some ONR liquid wax.

A few conclusions or interpretations. During this period my car used to shine brilliantly with a water-less wash. I think it should be my brilliant sealant, regular dusting with Jopasu, use of a good car cover and lovely ONR. I also think use of ONR wax also helped to elongate the effect of sealant.

The process this time involved a newly bought product. I recently bought a bottle of Klasse AIO and used it. I'll let the pics talk but first in brief the process. Car was washed with Meguiars NXT car shampoo and then dried using a Meguiars waffle weave towel. Post drying I directly applied Klasse using an applicator. Klasse was not that easy like my sealant. The moment it dried too much, it required a bit of effort to remove it. It is highly recommended to use it in sections. Otherwise it is a wipe-on wipe-off product. Here are few pics post the exercise. Now I need to see the longevity of the product. Will report about it.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-wp_20170306_18_01_12_pro.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-wp_20170306_18_01_51_pro.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-wp_20170306_18_02_11_pro.jpg

Kind Regards... Vikas
vikasshu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 12:23   #10055
BHPian

Guys, need some inputs.

I have a barely used Menezerna 3 in 1 that I plan to use on my XUV, which is silver in color. Thinking of purchasing Klassie High Gloss sealant. I read on some forum that Klassie should not be used on polish that has wax in it, and i think menezerna has some amount of carnuba wax.

Any thoughts if using the above two in combination is a good/ bad idea.

Both will be hand application.
Old 20th March 2017, 23:52   #10056
BHPian

Guys, which of the below is better and easy to apply ?

Meguirs ultimate polish ... 900rs
Meguirs nxt gen tech wax .... 1300rs
Meguirs ultimate quick wax .... 1000rs

Deep gloss shine needed on grey color.

Presently using Sonax Xtreme Briiliant Shine detailer spray

( Sealent applied a year back was waxoyl 100 )
Old 21st March 2017, 00:31   #10057
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post

Tech wax is easiest to apply and so is Ultimate quick wax. Ultimate polish is not a wax just a polish with polishing oils so will get the shine but not give any protection
Old 21st March 2017, 07:46   #10058
BHPian

Could someone comment on Formula 1 Carnuba wash and wax v/s Sonax gloss shampoo. I am currently using Formula 1, but interested to know if Sonax is a better product.
Old 21st March 2017, 09:08   #10059
Senior - BHPian

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamal View Post
Could someone comment on Formula 1 Carnuba wash and wax v/s Sonax gloss shampoo. I am currently using Formula 1, but interested to know if Sonax is a better product.

I suggest you try and get Mothers carnauba wax. It's a really good product. I have no experience with formula 1 recently. I am guess I used it about 6 years ago and wasn't happy so never went back to it.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-imageuploadedbyteambhp1490067484.531411.jpg

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 21st March 2017 at 09:13.
Old 21st March 2017, 10:06   #10060
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post

Before you buy these products you need to understand what they do. A polish is not a wax and vice versa although in this country a polish is synonymous with wax. Vid6639 has already explained the difference to you.

The products you listed need to be used in this order. Please follow instructions on the label.

a) Wash the car with water & a car shampoo to clean the surface. Dry it with a microfiber cloth. Once dry, apply the polish to remove any minor imperfections on the paint and prepare the surface for a coat of wax.

b) Once polishing is complete use Meguiar's NXT tech wax as the sealant/wax coating

c) Use quick wax as a routine easy to use method to preserve the shine. Remember quick waxes do not last as long as paste/liquid waxes. You will need to reapply the quick wax every 10-15 days more frequently if your car is parked outside in the open.

Last edited by R2D2 : 21st March 2017 at 10:22. Reason: typo
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 02:48   #10061
Distinguished - BHPian

144 Amazon microfibre cloths for 3,599. Gross!

But seriously... the reviews make it clear that these are not high-quality stuff, but are value for money. We could consider it a lifetime supply of high-quality rags for car and house.

But I have not made up my mind. Yet.
Old 1st April 2017, 17:35   #10062
BHPian

Planning to get an electric socket installed near my parking area. The primary purpose is to use my household vacuum cleaner for a good internal cleaning. However, I am also thinking of the following:

1. I have a garment steamer (similar to this), and was wondering if I could use it for internal car cleaning. I guess a few detailers offer this as an option, but not sure if they have a different machine. This would be used once in 6 months, or maybe 3 months on the seats (pure leather seats in car 1, and art leather seats in car 2) and the roof lining. Any downsides of this steam reducing the life of the leather?

2. Investing in a polishing machine. Nothing fancy. Currently do my waxing and polishing by hand, and thinking of going the machine way, to make this more efficient- especially if the polish has mild cutting properties for minor scratches. Any recommendations?
Old 2nd April 2017, 07:31   #10063
Senior - BHPian

Last evening a water sprinkler had left water marks on my unprotected car; came home & found the water marks were extremely hard to remove using Ultima WW, but somehow, I was able to remove over 99%.

Now I'm thinking of buying a water spot remover, thought, I'll ask this question before buying one.

If my car, or any vehicle, is protected by a wax or a good sealant, do I still need to use water spot remover? My assumption is the sealant/wax does a good job repelling the water spots, so I don't need one. Is my assumption right?
Old 3rd April 2017, 13:06   #10064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
If my car, or any vehicle, is protected by a wax or a good sealant, do I still need to use water spot remover? My assumption is the sealant/wax does a good job repelling the water spots, so I don't need one. Is my assumption right?
Yes. I can say about Collinite 845 only (falling in Insulator Wax category) helps in keep the water spots away. I wash my car sometime with Recycled STP water (hardest of the hard water in my area) and after a simple wipe down I do not see any water spots on painted surface. The glasses would though.

To mitigate on glass too, I have started applying a thin coat of 845 on them to help them counter dust scratch marks and headlight glare in windshield.

Just to help 845, I make sure to do a hard wax (#885) coating every 3 months once.
Old 3rd April 2017, 13:14   #10065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Now I'm thinking of buying a water spot remover, thought, I'll ask this question before buying one.

Carpro spotless - removes hard water marks left for ages with some elbow grease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post

To mitigate on glass too, I have started applying a thin coat of 845 on them to help them counter dust scratch marks and headlight glare in windshield.

Not advisable to wax the front windshield as it may interfere with wiper operation.
Use glass polishing + coating.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks