Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2017, 15:08   #10096
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What do people do to prevent misting on outside of glass? Anything possible?
I used Wurth glass cleaner on my motorcycle helmet visor and windshield. My apartment-mate uses vinegar+distilled water.

One guy told me to use thick old shaving cream (Old spice and Gillette likes) to wash the glasses.

Last edited by prithm : 25th April 2017 at 15:08. Reason: Grammar
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 21:27   #10097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Same problem here in Kolkata - exterior misting on windshield.
I just use the windshield spray and/or wipers.
I find that, unlike when wiping rain, or even when cleaning windscreen, it just doesn't come clear. Today, for instance, left the wipers on, on slowest intermittent --- but it is not wholy satisfactory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
I used Wurth glass cleaner on my motorcycle helmet visor and windshield. My apartment-mate uses vinegar+distilled water.

One guy told me to use thick old shaving cream (Old spice and Gillette likes) to wash the glasses.
I used to use Wurth screenwash additive. Very expensive. Currently using VW's own, because I was given some with the car.
Old 26th April 2017, 08:36   #10098
BHPian

Quote:
I used to use Wurth screenwash additive. Very expensive. Currently using VW's own, because I was given some with the car.
True that. The one that I use is Foam spray. Very effective in cleaning and keep the glass from fogging up depending on side used. It makes it easy to remove all the bug spots too.

Have you used diluted vinegar or Collinite 845 ?
Old 26th April 2017, 22:59   #10099
Distinguished - BHPian

I have used the mentioned additives. I use an expensive GTechnniq auto glass cleaner. I sometimes use AutoGlym Car polish.

I recently got some CarPro Ceriglass polish, which will really polish if used with an elctric machine that I don't have.

Actually, if I can afford it, I will replace the glass at service times, as it has some bad stone chips, but I don't think that will fix the outside-mist problem.
Old 27th April 2017, 09:49   #10100
BHPian

Try Collinite once. You will feel the difference for sure.

But looks like you already have plan to change the windshield. Try it on the new glass when it loses its sheen.

It helps both in reducing the night time headlight glare and water beading.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 21:21   #10101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have you used diluted vinegar or Collinite 845 ?
Quote:
Try Collinite once. You will feel the difference for sure.
I usually go to lengths to keep any wax product off glass, and have to remove it when service guys use the same rag on the glass as the car. But... this wax works on glass?

Quote:
But looks like you already have plan to change the windshield. Try it on the new glass when it loses its sheen.
There is a bad stone chip right in the line of sight. It bothers much less than it looks like it should, as the eye does not focus there. But it would be great to be without it and other minor imperfections.

So long as it is properly fitted, replacing imperfect glass with a new windscreen is actually a huge upgrade. Have experienced this a couple of times in the past when I have had to replace glass due to UK rules on cracks in the screen. New glass feels like a new car!

But hey, it costs.
Old 28th April 2017, 11:04   #10102
BHPian

Quote:
But... this wax works on glass?
No doubt and wiper safe.

Quote:
But hey, it costs.
Yup. Off late what I am seeing and hearing is the squeaks are getting loud after the glass treatment. And also, I am not sure if the glare from oncoming traffic will reduce after this treatment (talk about not done properly.).

Thus, I resorted to 845. It actually helped me reduce glare on my motorcycle lid visor too. Not promoting them anyway here, but have witnessed it after spending loads on getting good wax that I can use safely on body and glass.

Here is one more advantage that I recently saw. I coated all my door glasses with this and dust accumulation is reducing. I m a Chennaite living in Hyderabad and know this is not much of an issue for us in Chennai since we are more concerned about rust and other stuff. But Hyderabad is a dust bowl now after 4 years of drought and dust is everywhere.

Frequent visit to toll gates means I need to lower the glass multiple times and can see scratch lines becoming very visible. But after applying this, I am seeing less scratches and fewer lines.

Just an addition to windshield glare reduction property of this wax.
Old 28th April 2017, 14:17   #10103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No doubt and wiper safe.
Thanks
Quote:
Here is one more advantage that I recently saw. I coated all my door glasses with this and dust accumulation is reducing. I m a Chennaite living in Hyderabad and know this is not much of an issue for us in Chennai since we are more concerned about rust and other stuff. But Hyderabad is a dust bowl now after 4 years of drought and dust is everywhere.
At least where I live and travel, it is a problem. The car is covered in dust from just overnight parking, and some places, it can be even thicker in the time taken for a carnatic concert!
Quote:
Frequent visit to toll gates means I need to lower the glass multiple times and can see scratch lines becoming very visible. But after applying this, I am seeing less scratches and fewer lines.
But I also have another glass problem, and that is that something waxy has got on the door window seals, so it makes sticky lines on the glass when opening and closing. Maybe I need to fight wax with wax!

The general daily condition of my car has improved a great deal since getting my new Tph car cover. I Jopasu-dust (or even hose, if it is really bad, or the crows have been at work) the car before covering, and microfibre-dust the cover before removing. Huge improvement compared to previous worn-out cover.

I do love minimal-work methods of keeping a car smart!
Old 28th April 2017, 17:59   #10104
BHPian

Quote:
Misted-Up Windscreen...

But, being Chennai, it is on the outside (hot and wet) not the inside (AC cool and dry). The anti-mist products all seem to assume interior use, and the exterior glass products assume the problem will be rain.

What do people do to prevent misting on outside of glass? Anything possible?

I top of my windscreen with (the last remnants of the foam pads) black fire polish and sealant. I cannot speak for reduction of humidity condensation because that gets to work with only two factors - temperature of the surface - do you think it will change much; with or without the sealant? And second, the external humidity.

But beading and clarity is a definite yes. The black fire polish is more a filler that has transparent nano stuff that refracts light at a different angle, reducing the visibility of the swirls - fancy stuff. No force applied on the glass. Just apply and wipe off. The other reason why I include the polish is because I read that it helps better bonding of the sealant.

Collinite is also good. But looking at a cake and some super thin synthetic liquid, I wonder strongly that the cake leaves more residue behind. Sealants are better.

I would invest in a glass replacement, if it's distracting your vision in the current state. For one reason alone - safety 😀
carrerastrax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 22:18   #10105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
... I would invest in a glass replacement, if it's distracting your vision in the current state. For one reason alone - safety ��
Thanks for your Black Fire recommendation. (Where to buy? I'll google...)

Actually, there is almost no distraction. If you look at the chip from the outside, you would think it a disaster: it is quite big, but from inside, it is only visible if I consciously focus on the glass surface.

But it is an imperfection, and I can't and won't live with it for ever. I guess I can experiment on the glass before replacement!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 28th April 2017 at 22:24.
Old 29th April 2017, 17:58   #10106
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks
... and microfibre-dust the cover before removing. Huge improvement compared to previous worn-out cover.
I do love minimal-work methods of keeping a car smart!
How and where do you keep the cover when it is not in use? Do you fold it in a particular way to prevent the inside of the cover from getting the dust/ dirt?
Old 29th April 2017, 19:19   #10107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
How and where do you keep the cover when it is not in use?
They provide a good-quality bag, but I cannot fold the thing small enough to fit. They also provide a light fabric bag: I put it in this.
Quote:
Do you fold it in a particular way to prevent the inside of the cover from getting the dust/ dirt?
Yes indeed! And in such a way that I can unroll it onto the car with minimal fabric/car movement.

My cover is Tph. They seem to have taken over the Tyvek thread. Browse back and forth from here:.

In other news, guess what I washed the car with today.

Someone who does some work for us around the house (actually, to give him credit, really useful sometimes) filled my ONR spray with insecticide. He doesn't understand much English, but he will understand what I have to say to him next week.

Sadly, my sense of smell suffered from 20 years of smoking, and the only other person who knew did not see what I was doing until it was too late.

Worried about car; worried about health, although I think both are fine.

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 13:46   #10108
BHPian

Got first scratches on the new car today thanks to a wayward e-rickshaw :(

It's on the front bumper driver's side with a streak going across the width of the fog light.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-b.jpg

I got a paint touch up done at the service centre as I was there for the first service. What can be done to smoothen the touch up? Any treatment for the fog light glass?

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd May 2017 at 06:44. Reason: Inserting images as attachments
Old 2nd May 2017, 15:57   #10109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Got first scratches on the new car today thanks to a wayward e-rickshaw :(
Sad to hear.

Quote:
I got a paint touch up done at the service centre as I was there for the first service. What can be done to smoothen the touch up?
Nothing really. If they have just daubed a bit of paint to make it less visible from a distance (which works!) then that is what they have done. Better than nothing. But your answer is to save up to have it done properly, at least feathering the touch-up into the existing paint, if not actually repainting the entire panel.

It may be possible to polish the scratch out of the glass, which is probably plastic.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 2nd May 2017 at 15:58.
Old 2nd May 2017, 18:05   #10110
BHPian

Quote:
Nothing really. If they have just daubed a bit of paint to make it less visible from a distance (which works!) then that is what they have done. Better than nothing. But your answer is to save up to have it done properly, at least feathering the touch-up into the existing paint, if not actually repainting the entire panel.

It may be possible to polish the scratch out of the glass, which is probably plastic.
That's exactly what they've done. What is feathering the touch-up? Can it be done without repainting the entire bumper?

Fog light casing is plastic but I think a tiny layer of the plastic has come off due to the impact. I'll try the leftover Proklear polish that I've from windshield coating. The scratch shouldn't impact functionality though but looks like a sore spot.

Most Viewed