Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2020, 12:36   #10891
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Guys, what product/process to be used to remove white residue marks from exterior black plastic component ? Looks like the detailers used some sort of wax which now won't go off the black plastic parts on the bumpers and doors. I tried going the shampoo and Meguiars Interior cleaner, not working.
Old 1st April 2020, 13:18   #10892
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan_n8 View Post
Guys, what product/process to be used to remove white residue marks from exterior black plastic component ? Looks like the detailers used some sort of wax which now won't go off the black plastic parts on the bumpers and doors. I tried going the shampoo and Meguiars Interior cleaner, not working.
Not sure what products you have available with you now, but let me give it a shot.
- Do a test spot first -
Some sort of hard sponge if available will work, spray some glass cleaner / Iso propyl alcohol/ Nail polish remover and thoroughly rub and clean the black plastic bits. Wipe off clean and dry it. Now apply interior polish / dashboard polish or some sort of silicone polish. You can also try the shoe shiner(the sponge that comes pre soaked). You need to rub this in, wait for sometime, apply some more and wipe off the excess.

To prevent this from happening in future, avoid water wash or apply a silicone emulsion \dashboard polish to plastic bits after water wash.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 14:54   #10893
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
I have carried out wet sanding on my recently repainted doors with the intent of leveling out some solvent pops and fish eyes. I have used 1500 followed by 2000 grit sand papers for the process.

Now, is it possible to remove sanding marks directly with compound or do I need to have a pass or two with 3000 grit pad?

Also, is UC good enough or should I get M105? I plan to do compounding with a DA polisher and microfiber cutting pad/foam cutting pad.
2000 grit should be good enough to even out the area sanded with 1500 or even 1200 grit. M105 with a wool pad is good enough to give you a good finish.

However, do not, if the sanding is not done correctly no matter what compound you use, it will have sanding marks. To remove this invariably the clear coat will be thinned out completely. So do take care when you sand to ensure it does give you more problems than actually solving it.
Old 5th April 2020, 00:56   #10894
Senior - BHPian

Sorry if this is a repost but I chanced upon this channel on YouTube. It's almost therapeutic watching this guy clean cars and trucks
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 19:41   #10895
BHPian

Hi guys.
I used to follow this thread religiously since its inception but lost track for a while and now that I'm back I see I've missed a lot ! I'm sure you'll will appreciate that it's not really feasible to go through 1090 odd pages and hence my request. During the lockdown I thought "Hey perfect time to do a little detailing " and then discovered I've run out of products. Could you'll please assist me with your suggestions on the best site to order detailing products off of. I see the no of sites offering these has increased and I'm wondering who offers the best service, genuine products etc. Oh, I'm based in Mumbai. Thanks in advance.
Old 19th April 2020, 02:15   #10896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
Hi guys.
I used to follow this thread religiously since its inception but lost track for a while and now that I'm back I see I've missed a lot ! I'm sure you'll will appreciate that it's not really feasible to go through 1090 odd pages and hence my request. During the lockdown I thought "Hey perfect time to do a little detailing " and then discovered I've run out of products. Could you'll please assist me with your suggestions on the best site to order detailing products off of. I see the no of sites offering these has increased and I'm wondering who offers the best service, genuine products etc. Oh, I'm based in Mumbai. Thanks in advance.
I buy all my products from amazon. I dont use too many high end products.
Below is the list of stuff i use and all of them are from amazon:

Generic Clay bar
Wavex shampoo for my foam gun
wavex degreaser
wavex tyre and alloy cleaner
3M paste wax
3M compound
3M car shampoo
3M Tyre dresser
3M dashboard polish
Formula 1 tyre and bug remover
Formula 1 headlight restoring compound
formula 1 paste wax
formula 1 spray on wax
formula 1 car shampoo
waxpol hard carnauba wax
HimuraKenshin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 14:34   #10897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
It looks like this has not been asked much before, the search gets a few hits but no solutions.
Now I have a similar, yet different issue. I was stuck with my car (2007 Fiat Palio Stile) at home because of the lockdown. The place where I work has shelter for cars but there is no car shed at home.

Since there was no cover for the car, I created one using single use soft plastic that is used to cover refrigerators. The car is parked in the open with this cover on.

Initially I saw some mold/fungus as white patches on the outside (not the interiors ), after a couple of days of a rain. I tried to remove them using Vinegar as seen in a suggestion on the web, to no avail. Now the summer showers have become regular since last week and these patches have grown a lot (Pictures attached). I am starting to worry about it now. What could be the reason for this? Is it fungus?

And more importantly, how can I remove them? Will dettol help?
I won't be able to buy any specific product online or consult a mechanic until the Covid-19 related travel restrictions are lifted.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-mold3.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-mold2.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-mold1.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 29th May 2020 at 07:21. Reason: formatted for readability
Old 1st May 2020, 15:13   #10898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchu.c View Post
Since there was no cover for the car, I created one using single use soft plastic that is used to cover refrigerators. The car is parked in the open with this cover on.
Initially I saw some mold/fungus as white patches on the outside (not the interiors ),
I think it is not fungus, but some of the volatile stuff from your plastic cover. You could try rubbing with IPA or Acetone to see if it will dissolve the stain. Make sure you don't allow the IPA or acetone to touch anything other than the glass of the windshield. Try on a small area first, even if it does remove the stain, don't do all the areas - wait and check if it causes glare at night when you look out from inside the car. If it causes glare, be very cautious and better take help from an expert. The solvent will spread the volatile substance all over the windshield and cause visibility problems. You may need to use a lot of acetone/IPA and effort to remove it completely, so beware.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 22:03   #10899
BHPian

Quote:
Initially I saw some mold/fungus as white patches on the outside (not the interiors ), after a couple of days of a rain. I tried to remove them using Vinegar as seen in a suggestion on the web, to no avail.
I don't think Vinegar is not a good option. Did you try using cleaner wax ? I got similar issue on my Pulsar 150 after a long monsoon season. Used Motomax rubbing compound ( with a dab of cheap wax) & it helped remove these encrustation fairly easy. All manual with elbow wax, no orb machines. But then had to renew the surface with multiple layers of sealant wax combo (Collinite 845 + Menzerna sealant ).
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 22:33   #10900
BHPian

Quote:
Initially I saw some mold/fungus as white patches on the outside (not the interiors ), after a couple of days of a rain. I tried to remove them using Vinegar as seen in a suggestion on the web, to no avail
That isn't mold, that appears to some chemical leached onto the paint, and you'll need a good polish or more likely rubbing compound to remove it, as it seems to be more like glass etching than a surface stain.

Last edited by ampere : 29th May 2020 at 07:21. Reason: Formatted
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 12:13   #10901
BHPian

Just curious to know if wax/polishing can be done on a car that has ceramic coating done but the coating properties are almost gone (3+years since it was coated).

Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 13:56   #10902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
Just curious to know if wax/polishing can be done on a car that has ceramic coating done but the coating properties are almost gone (3+years since it was coated).
I think, we can do it. I am anyway doing it for the last couple of months. Maybe, when going for redoing ceramic coating, this might pose an issue. Let's wait for experts comments.

Last edited by ampere : 29th May 2020 at 07:21. Reason: Formatted
Old 13th May 2020, 22:04   #10903
BHPian

Hello Everyone,
I wanted to give our car a new look after this lockdown ends and was thinking of few products after reading and watching a ton of posts. I have decided on the following products:-

1) Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer for Exterior
2) PoorBoys Natural Look/ CarPro Perl/Meguiar's Natural Shine for trims and interiors.

I would love to know which one of the three interior detailing products is a better choice? I've read that Poorboys gives out more gloss which is something that I would like to completely avoid. I prefer more of a matte finish. I've been using 3M's Dashboard polish which for me is not doing wonders. Also, I would like to know how about cleaning the interiors prior to applying the protectant. Can i use a liquid dishwasher like VIM or should I be buying a APC like the one from Proklear?

Thanks.
Old 14th May 2020, 11:19   #10904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi9044 View Post
I would love to know which one of the three interior detailing products is a better choice?
Go for CarPro P.E.R.L. Being a water based product, it leaves no greasy residue and is very easy to work with. It can be applied to both plastics and rubber

Quote:
Can i use a liquid dishwasher like VIM or should I be buying a APC like the one from Proklear?
You may use APC diluted or even ONR diluted is good for cleaning but don't forget to protect using P.E.R.L or Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 10:19   #10905
BHPian

Has any of TBHPians here been successful in removing Haldi (turmeric) marks on your car or bikes paint etc ?

P.S. This is the byproduct of Avian visitors at my home.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-bonnethaldi.jpg

Most Viewed