Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2020, 20:20   #10876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Can anyone guide if its worth i.e satisfactory getting ceramic coating in a dusty city like Gurgaon. Someone who got it over an year ago, how is it now and what all maintenance was done?
My Car is parked mostly in basements so exposure to sunlight only while driving.

If I don't get ceramic how often should I get the car wash and waxed? Is there a waiting period for a new car to get it waxed. Also how about Ceramic Coating vs monthly wash & wax? ( I won't be doing it myself)
Hi K2, If your parking is in basements most of the time, then ceramic coating is a convenient thing to do. Dusting by Jopasu duster makes life easier as well. Coating can be done at the earliest. I am in Gurgaon too and had done this on my Octy. Going good. If not much of mud or heavy dust like during rains, washing will be enough once in two or three weeks with daily Jopasu routine. Waxing is not required if coating done.
Karvel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 22:49   #10877
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

I've been watching a lot of detailing videos lately and seeing a lot of praises for 303 Aerospace Protectant for plastic and vinyl parts. Is it really that good or are there better products in similar price range?
Also, both my cars have their roof wrapped, what product should I use for detailing it(maintainenance and protection)? I saw a video where the detailer said that applying wax over it should do the trick. Thanks.
shivamk11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 00:27   #10878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Now to Waterless wash. I live in an apartment. Can someone post a beginners guide to waterless wash? Youtube is also quite confusing. Thanks in advance.
Proklear Xtreme is the answer, please order it from Amazon and follow the instructions on the bottle, it's simple to use, cheap and works well. Additionally you need to use a cream polish once in 6 months and that's about it, paint will remain clean and shiny.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 21:04   #10879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Proklear Xtreme is the answer, please order it from Amazon and follow the instructions on the bottle, it's simple to use, cheap and works well. Additionally you need to use a cream polish once in 6 months and that's about it, paint will remain clean and shiny.
I ordered Proklear Xtreme, a pressurised sprayer and amazon basics microfibres for drying.will get them tomorrow. I already have a pair of meguiars microfibre.
I read here that amazon drying microfibres are good or should I get Water Magnet(its expensive)

Just a few questions-
1. How much diluted solution should I make as a start for cleaning seltos ?
2.After spraying on the car panels/ glass , won’t the microfibre get dirty after use in say 1 or 2 panels ? It would have to be washed?
Or can 1 or 2 cloths suffice for a mildly dusty entire car. I have seen couple of videos on youtube some suggesting to use the microfibre in 4 folds getting 8 sides.
3. How often should I use it and can use it?
Like twice a week and for rest of week car cleaner can clean with only jopasu or jopasu+Damp microfibre.
Thanks

Last edited by k2max6 : 14th March 2020 at 21:07. Reason: Typo
Old 14th March 2020, 22:14   #10880
BHPian

Quote:
I ordered Proklear Xtreme, a pressurised sprayer and amazon basics microfibres for drying.will get them tomorrow. I already have a pair of meguiars microfibre.
I read here that amazon drying microfibres are good or should I get Water Magnet(its expensive)

Just a few questions-
2.After spraying on the car panels/ glass , won’t the microfibre get dirty after use in say 1 or 2 panels ? It would have to be washed?
Or can 1 or 2 cloths suffice for a mildly dusty entire car. I have seen couple of videos on Youtube some suggesting to use the microfibre in 4 folds getting 8 sides.
Like twice a week and for rest of week car cleaner can clean with only jopasu or jopasu+Damp microfibre.
Thanks
Follow the dilution advised on the sticker.

After one side is dirty, flip, next fold it over. Once all four squares a dirty, use the other side.

Do not keep using dirty sides of a microfibre. I end up using 2-3 microfibre cloths for my i20.

Depends on how dirty it gets and how clean you want to keep it. I use WW 1-2 times a week and Jopasu on other days.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 09:03   #10881
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Just a few questions-
Or can 1 or 2 cloths suffice for a mildly dusty entire car. I have seen couple of videos on Youtube some suggesting to use the microfibre in 4 folds getting 8 sides.
Thanks
I use Sobby brand towels, cheap and works well. You need to flip the towel around as it gets dirty, use additional ones if the car is very dirty and use another one to do a final wipe once all panels are fully dry.

Use separate towels for wheels and tire, you can clean them the same way as any other panel.

A 40x40 can clean the entire vehicle body panels & glass if not heavily soiled. You won't need more than 1L of the solution even if you are being generous.

I clean the vehicle this way once a week, You can do this process more often if you live in a very dusty environment. For my two vehicles, one 250 ml bottle lasts about 4 months with once a week dry wash.

I may use a towel to lightly dust off any debris in between , but no dry rubbing. I certainly do not recommend Jopasu or wipe with just a wet cloth etc.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 09:33   #10882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I use Sobby brand towels, cheap and works well. You need to flip the towel around as it gets dirty, use additional ones if the car is very dirty and use another one to do a final wipe once all panels are fully dry.

Use separate towels for wheels and tire, you can clean them the same way as any other panel.

A 40x40 can clean the entire vehicle body panels & glass if not heavily soiled. You won't need more than 1L of the solution even if you are being generous.

I clean the vehicle this way once a week, You can do this process more often if you live in a very dusty environment. For my two vehicles, one 250 ml bottle lasts about 4 months with once a week dry wash.

I may use a towel to lightly dust off any debris in between , but no dry rubbing. I certainly do not recommend Jopasu or wipe with just a wet cloth etc.
All doubts cleared. One more query -

Even if I keep the routine for 2 days a week, I need some sort of cleaning for other 3-4 days as some dust is always there. I’ve seen a lot of bhpians recommending Jopasu here for dusting off when not washing.

What would be your suggestion for those 3-4 days maintenance for mild dust?

Also I saw some scratches/ small swirls on the piano finish around the gearbox. Some were already present when I brought the car the home. Any recommendations?
Old 15th March 2020, 11:36   #10883
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All doubts cleared. One more query -

Even if I keep the routine for 2 days a week, I need some sort of cleaning for other 3-4 days as some dust is always there. I’ve seen a lot of bhpians recommending Jopasu here for dusting off when not washing.

What would be your suggestion for those 3-4 days maintenance for mild dust?

Also I saw some scratches/ small swirls on the piano finish around the gearbox. Some were already present when I brought the car the home. Any recommendations?
Take a towel and dust it off without rubbing, that should do it. Not to worry after a few weeks you`ll get used to that slightly dusty look for a few days between washes

I would try a spray wax on a microfiber towel and give it a wipe to see if it helps, else a little bit of cream polish. Make sure to wipe off the center console once a week with an interior spray or a glass cleaner.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 09:33   #10884
BHPian

I don’t know if ceramic Coating should be compared with regular rinse less wash&wax, but can this be routine be effective in protecting/keeping the car gloss / paint intact as ceramic coating does . ( Including Wash & Wax from detailer once in 4-6 months)

The detailer told me that ceramic coating is very thick as compared to the clear coat and scratches and swirls would occur less, gloss will be maintained for 2.5 years or even more. I am not so sure if I should spend so much, this routine can do the job ;then I am happy .

I am inclined towards ceramic coating mainly because of my Intense Red colour seltos. My 2 yr old silver baleno still shines. 5 yr old white verna was detailed last year and paint still looks glossy.

Somehow I am not able to justify if ceramic coating is needed.
Old 16th March 2020, 22:08   #10885
BHPian

Hey guys, sorry for a kind of duplicate post but if I’ve to buy 1 product, which one should it be? 303 aerospace protectant or CarPro PERL?
Old 18th March 2020, 11:26   #10886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivamk11 View Post
Hello everyone!
So I've decided to try my hand in detailing my cars. I've no prior experience and this will be a first for me. From several posts and videos, I've made the following list on what to follow.
Wash tyres and wheel arches first
Wash car(wavex shampoo)- weekly
Dry the car with micro fibre
Use clay bar- once in 2 months
Use rubbing compound(meguiar's ultimate compound)
Polish car(meguiar's ultimate polish)- once in 6 months
Use formula1 paste wax- once a month
Use sonax high speed wax- weekly
Tyre polish(wavex)- weekly

Now, I want to know if I'll be able to do the rubbing compound and polish part with hand and get the desired results as I don't have any professional tools for the same. Even if I were to buy one, I doubt I'll be able to use it properly given the fact that I've no prior experience in operating the same.
Kindly help me regarding how should I proceed. My ultimate goal is to restore the lost shine and get rid of whatever minor scratches possible.

Hi Shivam,

Even I have recently started learning the basics of detailing. Would suggest you to get some scrap panels from local bodyshop and start working using a rotary polisher itself, if the DA is out of budget (was for me as well)
Once you start to a hang of it, you can refine your technique and you will soon be confident enough to try that on your own car.

Just sharing a 50-50 shot on a scrap Baleno fender that I worked on. Equipment used :
1. Rotary Polisher - Any of the cheap ones on Amazon
2. Wavex Medium Cut Compound
3. Heavy Cutting Pad for Compounding
4. Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
5. Finishing Pad
6. IPA solution
7. Clay Bar

Original state :
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-imageuploadedbyteambhp1584510606.267703.jpg

Post my efforts :
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-imageuploadedbyteambhp1584510339.902884.jpg

To get rid of the deeper scratches , I had to do extra passes of the compound with the polisher. So removed about 8-9 microns of paint. Considering Maruti is famous for softer paints, I consider that to be a decent trade-off considering I fixed 99% of the defects. The paint thickness was 95 microns and by then end of the process, was still left with 86-85 microns.

Last edited by akhil994 : 18th March 2020 at 11:32.
akhil994 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 15:59   #10887
BHPian

I have carried out wet sanding on my recently repainted doors with the intent of leveling out some solvent pops and fish eyes. I have used 1500 followed by 2000 grit sand papers for the process.

Now, is it possible to remove sanding marks directly with compound or do I need to have a pass or two with 3000 grit pad?

Also, is UC good enough or should I get M105? I plan to do compounding with a DA polisher and microfiber cutting pad/foam cutting pad.
Old 30th March 2020, 09:55   #10888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivamk11 View Post
I've been watching a lot of detailing videos lately and seeing a lot of praises for 303 Aerospace Protectant for plastic and vinyl parts. Is it really that good or are there better products in similar price range?
I can comment 50% of your ask since I use 303 for my plastics and vinyls. Yes, it is a good product. Lasts approx. 2 month and depends on number of washes. I don't wash without shampoo, so it lasts me appox. 2 months.

Please make sure to wear protective gloves (even simple plastic cover gloves will help). My finger tips go numb after using this product, not sure if others too are facing this. Smells like our old Cherry White Shoe polish that we used during school days.
Old 30th March 2020, 15:20   #10889
BHPian

Hi guys. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good 'detailer' in Mumbai ? I've realised that most of them are not real 'detailers' . Everyone claims to be a detailer, but in reality they only do a wash n' wax, vaccum the interior and slap on some dashboard polish and tyre spray. 3M has good products and so the end result is halfway decent but there is no real detailing. I've been reading about Time 2 Shine but there's really not too much information online except for their own ads. Has anyone experienced them ? Anyone with any better suggestions ?
Old 31st March 2020, 22:41   #10890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
Hi guys. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good 'detailer' in Mumbai ?
Check out the following options. All very good and reputed.

http://https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai/91235-car-detailing-kamyo-detailers-mumbai.html (Car Detailing - Kamyo Detailers (Mumbai))

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumba...eo-mumbai.html (Exterior work: Paint, Dent, Polish - Mazda Motors (Tardeo, Mumbai))

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks