Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2015, 22:01   #9556
BHPian

Not true. Maybe you are referring to the benzene story. That could happen anywhere not only in a car. Open the AC to inflow mode or roll down Windows. All I want to say is there is no harm in using car odorizers till one ensures fresh air circulation.
Old 29th December 2015, 15:04   #9557
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
Not true. Maybe you are referring to the benzene story. That could happen anywhere not only in a car. Open the AC to inflow mode or roll down Windows. All I want to say is there is no harm in using car odorizers till one ensures fresh air circulation.
NOPE. Totally wrong in your assumption and negating it as "Story". Please visit EPA reports and decide. Air Freshners and Car Odor control items are potential carcinogens and getting high on it is nothing but to increase probability.

All volatile organic compounds or "scented" in a closed area do slow poisoning. Especially inside a car cabin. I rest my case.
Old 30th December 2015, 09:59   #9558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Please visit EPA reports and decide. Air Freshners and Car Odor control items are potential carcinogens and getting high on it is nothing but to increase probability.
Thanks for the info. please provide more information from valid governmental websites for the benefit of this community. When i googled, i could find this, but no specific denial of usage of the product. Other websites like wikipedia and nrdc are not reliable.
Old 30th December 2015, 12:08   #9559
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. please provide more information from valid governmental websites for the benefit of this community. When i googled, i could find this, but no specific denial of usage of the product. Other websites like wikipedia and nrdc are not reliable.
Lets start from most premier organization on planet which governs the top most labs in entire US.

nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/chemical-many-air-fresheners-may-reduce-lung-function

Urban Development Hosted Rebuttal Document

portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=DOC_12431.pdf

NRDC is an Environmental Activist organization. They are petitioning EPA to take this issue seriously after digesting scientific publications. Not the flimsy biased organizations like in our country.

Check the references if you have time at the end of this document. Read the publications and decide.

nrdc.org/health/home/airfresheners/airfresheners.pdf

The document you came across is the one where EPA has directed all companies to provide list of chemicals since it has scientific backing of them to be harmful to humans.

To make matter worse, all companies have asked EPA to extend the deadline and have masqueraded direct questions with violation of proprietary product / company secret.

epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-10/documents/company.pdf

Check the rebuttal document where NRDC is literally begging EPA to take this case up.

Do not search directly for air fresheners, check for the chemical ingredients and their impact. Little deep dive will enlighten you. These products are classified under pesticide category by EPA since their volatile compound category fall in that range and options.

The idea here is closed environment such as a car cabin will magnify any symptom. We may die due to air pollution, but lets not accelerate our slow poisoning by willfully utilizing products which we know has dubious ingredients and will degrade due to UV exposure and become volatile in fraction of a second.

Its a huge market my friend. Not easy to divulge information or bring them to court for an answer. Hints are available.

To end, EPA rejected the petition by passing the ball back to petitioning agencies to come up with more scientific data. Very encouraging organization.

Do you expect oil companies to talk about global warming due to their product usage.
prithm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 13:51   #9560
BHPian

I have couple of scratches on the windscreen caused by sand particles(stuck to the wiper). Since they are little deep(I could feel them when I move my hand over them), it is difficult for the DIY(which might require machine buffing).

Do you know anybody who does a decent job of removing "Windshield scratches" in Bangalore? If so, please pass on contact details.

If you have already tried them, please share your experience.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 30th December 2015, 13:57   #9561
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
I have couple of scratches on the windscreen caused by sand particles(stuck to the wiper). Since they are little deep(I could feel them when I move my hand over them), it is difficult for the DIY(which might require machine buffing).

Do you know anybody who does a decent job of removing "Windshield scratches" in Bangalore? If so, please pass on contact details.

If you have already tried them, please share your experience.

Any help is appreciated.
Just got the same done for moderator Samurai'w windscreen. The front windshield had scratches everywhere, water marks and stone chips.

Almost all of them disappeared except or the deeper stone chips and the deeper scratches.

Got it done from Keystone enterprises run by a forum member nirmaljusdoit.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/banga...bangalore.html (Exterior & Interior Detailing : Keystone Enterprises (Bangalore))

You can also try windshield experts. They should be doing this as well. It's basically sanding down and then buffing the glass.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 11:14   #9562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Almost all of them disappeared except or the deeper stone chips and the deeper scratches.
Thanks vid6639. Coincidentally had posted a query related to this in another thread today with photos.
i did not know that smaller size stone chips can be cleared from the windscreen. Out of curiosity - can multiple stone chips cause windshield cracks while driving at high speeds?
Old 1st January 2016, 15:00   #9563
BHPian

Do any of you use gloves while performing detailing, as all waxes, cleaners, conditioners, etc. are essentially chemicals?

I was initially inclined to pick (disposable) latex gloves, but my short research suggests nitrile gloves are also quite popular.

If yes, can you please share any recommendations for the gloves.
Stuff available locally would be preferable, but online ordering options for the US are also welcome.
Old 2nd January 2016, 15:25   #9564
BHPian

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

In my opinion, While it is ideal to use latex gloves it is not necessary. Have used mainly bare hand with a good microfibres cloth or any soft cloth that has been softened by a fabric softener. Reason being I don't like the sweat latex gloves generate and I can detail better near the edges and chrome tips with bare hands. A thorough wash with a mild hand wash is then recommended.
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 22:07   #9565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have used mainly bare hand with a good microfibres cloth or any soft cloth that has been softened by a fabric softener.
Be careful with that sentence, in case anyone thinks that they should use fabric conditioner on microfibre, which ruins it.

By the way: fabric conditioner, anyway, is not actually very useful.
Old 3rd January 2016, 13:39   #9566
BHPian

I have been using Formula-1 Carnauba wash and wax shampoo for the past 2 years and it has been doing an admirable job.

Heard a lot about Sonax gloss shampoo and finally decided to give it a try.

Couldn't find it in stock at car detailing/accessory shops in Vijayawada, so going to purchase it online.

Being a bit skeptical about counterfeits, just wanted to ask you guys, which is the reliable online retailing store for Sonax products in India.

Thanks in advance!
Old 3rd January 2016, 21:15   #9567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Being a bit skeptical about counterfeits, just wanted to ask you guys, which is the reliable online retailing store for Sonax products in India.
Due to a similar fear of counterfeits in the market, I recently picked it off Amazon.in .
The one I ordered was fulfilled by Amazon (that gives you more confidence of genuinity), delivered promptly (probably because I am in Bangalore) and seems genuine - imported by Methods Automotive, Bangalore.

The car was not yet due for a wash, hence I tried it on my motorcycle. The gloss after the wash is quite good (my dad jokingly enquired if I had waxed/ polished the motorcycle). This being my first use of an auto shampoo, it would not be possible for me to draw comparisons.
However, I don't think you would be disappointed with the Sonax Gloss Shampoo.
Old 3rd January 2016, 23:03   #9568
BHPian

Has anybody tried this polisher

http://www.amazon.in/Coido-6016-Car-Polisher/dp/B00KCT1TUY/ref=lp_5257660031_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=145 1840878&sr=1-4

Please let me know how is it? Is it worth buying?
Old 4th January 2016, 09:42   #9569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Be careful with that sentence, in case anyone thinks that they should use fabric conditioner on microfibre, which ruins it.

By the way: fabric conditioner, anyway, is not actually very useful.
Sorry - what I meant was, I use some old cotton vests and wash them in fabric softener to soften the yarn. Then use this to clean the surface. Have never used fabric softener on microfibre. It was either the option 1 or just microfiber as it is. Apologies for causing confusion.
Old 4th January 2016, 15:17   #9570
Distinguished - BHPian

I knew that you knew . I was just worried about how others might read it.

When I was a hobby jeweller, old pure-cotton vests were my prime source of polishing cloths. Wonderful stuff!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks