Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2016, 13:46   #9856
Team-BHP Support

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
In this rainy season, has anyone experienced fungus/ mold/ black spots in car interiors due to moisture?
Quite common if the car remains unused for longer periods. Act quickly and remove them else they will leave permanent stains on the upholstery.

Use a microfiber towel and diluted APC (all purpose cleaner) to remove them or diluted vinegar. Try doing this on a small inconspicuous surface first to ensure there are no adverse reactions to the upholstery.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 17:44   #9857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasshu View Post
Dear Blackasta, can you please recommend a good APC for interior cleaning of fabric seats, roof and plastic of the door.

My car's door plastic is of light grey colour and now there are some stains that are not going after using ONR and Meguiar's NXT shampoo. Even seats show some stains because of my son who feels hungry as soon as we start any journey . I see one small spot on the roof as well.

I do have 303 aerospace protectant. But my idea is that it is not a cleaner and more of a shield. Please correct me if my understanding is not correct.

Look forward to suggestions.

Thanks
For plastic parts, I normally use 1:5 diluted solution of Auto finesse Verso APC. For Fabric, especially roof liner I use Meguiar's G9719 Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner. Dash and front door (heavy use ares) are then protected with gtechniq C6 matte dash (although it's been way too long since I have applied the same).
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 18:27   #9858
BHPian

In one of my cars , which is sparingly used in rainy season because of its 'elephant' like size, I have put 2 boxes of moisture absorber , named Absorbia . Avl in amazon, flipkart etc.

very effective. no dampness, no mould, fresh smell always. 1 dabba lasts for 30 days, and then throw it, get a new one. just needed for these 2 months.

for sedan / hatch, one box works perfectly.
Amazing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 13:03   #9859

BHPians, is it safe to use 'Amway Silicone Glaze' on my 4 month old car?

On this thread, I came across a member suggesting that it is abrasive (as he had the colour of his car stuck on his cloth after polishing) and that it shouldn't be used on a new car, while some members suggested otherwise.

I'm confused now. I've already bought the Silicone Glaze and I'm reluctant to start using it now. Kindly suggest.
Old 3rd August 2016, 18:14   #9860
BHPian

Where can I get good quality clay at reasonable price in India, thanks n cheers
Old 3rd August 2016, 20:04   #9861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Where can I get good quality clay at reasonable price in India, thanks n cheers
detailedclean india is selling 100gm for Rs 800.
Old 3rd August 2016, 20:56   #9862
BHPian

Can someone suggest what's the best way to get rid of hardwater spots ? I am noticing some of them on my new car
Old 4th August 2016, 23:36   #9863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishore1984 View Post
Can someone suggest what's the best way to get rid of hardwater spots ? I am noticing some of them on my new car
Use an all-purpose-cleaner (APC) , bug/tar remover or rubbing alcohol with micro-fiber cloth. There are some water-stain removers also available, check out detailedclean.in and Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand_Mur View Post
BHPians, is it safe to use 'Amway Silicone Glaze' on my 4 month old car?

On this thread, I came across a member suggesting that it is abrasive (as he had the colour of his car stuck on his cloth after polishing) and that it shouldn't be used on a new car, while some members suggested otherwise.

I'm confused now. I've already bought the Silicone Glaze and I'm reluctant to start using it now. Kindly suggest.
Silicone glaze can be safely used on vehicles' painted surfaces, I've been using it on my bikes for years. The abrasive effect is negligible if you're working by hand, my bike's paint still looks great. I haven't heard of adulterated/fake Silicone Glaze, but it's a possibility and that might have cause the paint damage in your friend's case.
That said, glaze isn't a protectant , that is what sealant/wax is for.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 16:37   #9864
BHPian

Alrighty, detailing experts. Let's see what you make of this.

There's a small dent on the front left door, courtesy of the 3rd free service at Express Hyundai . I'm attaching some pics for your reference.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-image_1.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-image_2.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-image_3.jpg

The situation, I'm afraid, looks grim. The paint has chipped off, and I can see metal underneath. If I had to make a guess, no amount of detailing will take care of this?

So, my question is this: What can I do to make this go away? Please don't suggest repainting the entire door. That's never gonna happen. I was looking up some com paint thingy on sale at Amazon, and wondered if anyway I can fill up this hole and get it painted and clear coated? Any suggestions, fellas? Can't believe my bad luck that our car got its first freaking dent at the hands of the dumb-a$$ service people.
Old 5th August 2016, 16:47   #9865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Alrighty, detailing experts. Let's see what you make of this.
Firstly, this looks like a paint chip to me. If there's a dent, then the below advice would be of no use.

Get the matching com paint can. Clean the area in and around the chip using rubbing alcohol.

Then spray some of the paint in the cap of the can, and use a cotton ear bud to pick up some of the paint and fill in the chip.
This is a slow process and you need to give some time to let one layer of paint solidify before putting in the next layer.
Layer by layer, lay paint until you have a small size 'hump' - yes - the com paint deposits should actually form a little pimple on the surface of your car.
Then use progressively high grade wet sanding paper and sand down the 'pimple' to the actual paint surface.
Then polish, and protect.

Look into this forum thread as a reference:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...y-scratch.html
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 16:50   #9866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Experts,

I had put this query earlier too. I wash my Punto once a week and do it myself. However the issue is the muck which gets collected and stuck to the car is removed by me once a week and it gets difficult with general wash. I use the wash shampoo but this does not remove the muck completely. Also I am finding the door specifically getting rough. Is there something I need to do after washing the car? Any solution to remove the minute grime stuck to the car coz they are not coming off easily.

Its a pain to see a washed car gets all mucky on Monday morning drive to office. That's the curse of buying a white car I guess.
Folks on this forum will plaster me for saying this...but use warm water and prill.. dish washing liquid soap. Very effective. First spray this liquid using an agro spray so that the muck loosens up. After that use the two bucket method.
Old 5th August 2016, 17:05   #9867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotirajendra View Post
Folks on this forum will plaster me for saying this...but use warm water and prill.. dish washing liquid soap. Very effective. First spray this liquid using an agro spray so that the muck loosens up. After that use the two bucket method.
Why plaster you? even I use pril - but in certain circumstances only. dishwashing soap is a very powerful chemical stripper of wax/sealant/glazes.
A dish soap wash is required when you want to start with paint correction - any sealant/glaze may hinder the process.
Old 5th August 2016, 19:49   #9868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
There's a small dent on the front left door, courtesy of the 3rd free service at Express Hyundai . I'm attaching some pics for your reference.
It will look better painted, as long as it is painted with the exact-match paint, preferably from the dealer. If they did the damage, won't they fix it for you?

I've had several much bigger dents that become barely noticable from across the road when touched up in the right colour. Up close, of course, a dent is a dent.

With metal showing, you must get something done soon, or it will soon be rust. Again, a touch-up achieves that, putting off the real repair until later
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 21:22   #9869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Firstly, this looks like a paint chip to me. If there's a dent, then the below advice would be of no use.

Get the matching com paint can. Clean the area in and around the chip using rubbing alcohol.

Look into this forum thread as a reference:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...y-scratch.html
Thanks mate! Looks like some manual effort is required. Sadly, I'm a total numpty when it comes to anything related to DIY.
I've ordered some stuff off Amazon, and will go meet up my regular detailer once it arrives.
The thread you've recommended will definitely point me in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It will look better painted, as long as it is painted with the exact-match paint, preferably from the dealer. If they did the damage, won't they fix it for you?...
Ah, but if only...

They agreed that the dent was caused by them.
Apparently, the parking space in the service bay was way too less, and the front left door hit something while being opened.
I literally raised hell when I came to collect the car after service and saw that dent.
They tried to brush it off as something I had caused earlier, but the job card said otherwise.
They apologized but said that it will take time to work on the dent. So I would need to leave the car with them.

I told them to go shove it where the sun doesn't shine, then have coitus with themselves, repeatedly, in all forms and positions, and drove out of the service center.
This was the last of the free services, so from the next time I'll be heading to some FNG.
But what's done is done. My car is dented, my heart is broken, and the paint is chipped. Hopefully Jerry from Car Cares can do something about it with the paint thingamajig I've ordered off Amazon.
Old 7th August 2016, 16:23   #9870
BHPian

Jopasu Trim n Tire Dressing

Yesterday when I went to a known distributor (he is a distributor for house hold and certain car care products) to buy some house stuff, came across Jopasu Trim n Tire Dressing which is solvent based and looked unlike other Tire Dressing products I had seen. He said once applied it will last for around 15 days and I thought of giving a try.

Today morning I applied as directed on the package using sponge and after it was dry it gave a nice and new look on the tires. The look was not very glossy (I don't like too glossy and artificial looks) and looked natural, which was to my liking.

Also, the distributor said this repels water and does not attract much dust. Now, will wait and see how long this lasts and on the dust attraction part and will update again.

On the looks front, I recommend this product. Now some pics, which I think is not doing justice to the actual look, as the car was under shade.

Regards,
KK
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1470567074039.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1470567094566.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1470567112634.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1470567127227.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1470567140667.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20160807_133302226-2.jpg  

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 7th August 2016 at 16:39. Reason: Adding image
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks