Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2010, 15:13   #2866
Senior - BHPian

^OMG! hope you taught that dog a lesson!

btw what does the base of the scratch look like?(color)

is it grey?

if you run your finger nail across the scratch does the scratch catch your nail it?
Old 14th August 2010, 17:24   #2867
Senior - BHPian

^ The base of the scratch is white itself as I cleaned the dirt with a damp soft cloth. The car is just 5 weeks old. I hope the last service (a week ago) had some waxing as part of cleaning.

At very few places the scratch still is brown the nail does not completely get caught but the mark is very unpleasant to the eye. Dont have my digicam handy to upload highres image.

Please help with alternatives. Thanks!
Old 14th August 2010, 18:08   #2868
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
^ The base of the scratch is white itself as I cleaned the dirt with a damp soft cloth. The car is just 5 weeks old. I hope the last service (a week ago) had some waxing as part of cleaning.

At very few places the scratch still is brown the nail does not completely get caught but the mark is very unpleasant to the eye. Dont have my digicam handy to upload highres image.

Perfect case for something like Scratch X from meguiars. See if you can get someone from the US to get it for you. Have no idea if a local rubbing compound of high quality can eliminate those.
Old 14th August 2010, 18:17   #2869
BHPian

Help!!!

My metallic silver i10 has got white and black overspray paint all over it due ongoing paint work in the nearby building . tried removing it by washing with turtle wax platinum series performance car wash.still its fairly visible to naked eye when we get close to the car.when i move my hand over the roof i can feel droplets of the paint (not smooth).
any suggestion from experts here.

thanks.
Old 14th August 2010, 18:56   #2870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjeevan View Post
Help!!!

My metallic silver i10 has got white and black overspray paint all over it due ongoing paint work in the nearby building . tried removing it by washing with turtle wax platinum series performance car wash.still its fairly visible to naked eye when we get close to the car.when i move my hand over the roof i can feel droplets of the paint (not smooth).

thanks.
Use 3M rubbing compound, it may be a really tedious work so get it done from any painter wala who will use a machine for rubbing off.
Old 14th August 2010, 20:50   #2871
BHPian

Can you tell me how a total newbie should go about detailing his car by themselves?

- Materials
- Time etc.
Old 14th August 2010, 21:52   #2872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjeevan View Post
Help!!!

thanks.
What paint is it ? If it is building exterior paint then claying will remove it. I believe Jopashu sells clay locally. Get that and some car shampoo to use as lube. You should be fine. You will need to polish and wax after that.

Rgds

Last edited by Garipagol : 14th August 2010 at 21:53. Reason: Typo
Old 14th August 2010, 22:15   #2873
BHPian

@adi iceman11: Head To CST road Kurla. There are many guys there who clean headlamps and make them as good as new. What these guys do is they open the headlamp and clean/buff them from inside as well as outside. Have used their services once for my accent. Also u could trade the old lamps for new like used lamps paying some price difference, just an option though. Good luck!
Old 14th August 2010, 22:23   #2874
Senior - BHPian

@Rjeevan - Yup! claying should get rid of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post

You can try Formula1 ScratchOut paste - Formula 1 High-Performance Auto Care Products

It will get rid of the clear coat scratch. Though I'm not so sure about the 'still brown' parts. That could be the primer showing from below!

And do get a car cover. It really helps prevent small scratches and stuff!

Last edited by sohail99 : 14th August 2010 at 22:27.
Old 15th August 2010, 09:58   #2875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post
What paint is it ? If it is building exterior paint then claying will remove it. I believe Jopashu sells clay locally. Get that and some car shampoo to use as lube. You should be fine. You will need to polish and wax after that.

Rgds

yes its building exterior paint. will buy one ASAP.

thanks for the help.
Old 15th August 2010, 15:37   #2876
Senior - BHPian

I usually wash my car with shampoo using the 2 bucket washing method every week and clean the insides thoroughly too. Now this alone takes about 1 hour so I was thinking that if I was to use a rubbing compound such as 3M liquid wax and then a pure polish such as amway silicon glaze and then the ultimate step to wax the car with something like collinite 845 (yet to order this) it wouldn't be possible for me to get through with it in a day?
I mean this entire process either isn't possible in a day, it would at least wear me out totally, or may be not even advisable if done back to back.

What I was thinking was that if I wash the car with shampoo I could put the 3M liquid paste wax the same day. Put the cover back on and next day get on with amway silicon glaze and then with a pure wax such as collinite (back to back)

Would something like this work? Issue with me is that I could only work on weekends (sat n sun) so either I complete the entire job in 2 days or do some steps the 1st weekend, wait till next week and perform rest of the steps. But between these weekends I'd travel to office which is around 50 kms daily and whatever detailing work I do the 1st weekend would go for a toss by the next weekend. Confused here
Old 15th August 2010, 16:59   #2877
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I usually wash my car with shampoo using the 2 bucket washing method every week and clean the insides thoroughly too. Now this alone takes about 1 hour so I was thinking that if I was to use a rubbing compound such as 3M liquid wax and then a pure polish such as amway silicon glaze and then the ultimate step to wax the car with something like collinite 845 (yet to order this) it wouldn't be possible for me to get through with it in a day?
I mean this entire process either isn't possible in a day, it would at least wear me out totally, or may be not even advisable if done back to back.

What I was thinking was that if I wash the car with shampoo I could put the 3M liquid paste wax the same day. Put the cover back on and next day get on with amway silicon glaze and then with a pure wax such as collinite (back to back)

Would something like this work? Issue with me is that I could only work on weekends (sat n sun) so either I complete the entire job in 2 days or do some steps the 1st weekend, wait till next week and perform rest of the steps. But between these weekends I'd travel to office which is around 50 kms daily and whatever detailing work I do the 1st weekend would go for a toss by the next weekend. Confused here
sat morning- wash and put 3M liquid paste wax( is this really a rubbing compound- i highly doubt that!)
sun morning put silicone glaze and collinite
mon morning wake up early and put another coat of collinite( will take 20-30 mins)
If you can pay a guy 100 rs he will help you out
Old 15th August 2010, 21:40   #2878
BHPian

@fine69 : Sir , i think you are mixing 3M fineese it rubbing compund with 3M liquid Wax .

there is no point putting a coat of wax before polish.
Old 15th August 2010, 21:56   #2879
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Got delivery of my first car 4 days ago.
Bought the following products for maintenance of the car - please see attached snap. I think glass cleaner is missing, also a regular cleaning cloth (not for shampoo).

Please suggest anything more needed to keep the car in showroom condition. I haven`t hired cleaning guy and would like to clean my car myself.
Any suggestion on the product would be helpful for me.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dscn0880.jpg  

Old 15th August 2010, 22:20   #2880
Senior - BHPian

^ Get a few microfiber towels and a dedicated car wax

and wash using the 2-bucket method.

A Jopasu duster will really help keep your paint clean and dust free!

@fine69 - Glaze is actually a pure polish, and it needs to go directly over the paint.
Its kinda useless over a coat of wax.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks