Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2010, 19:17   #2941
BHPian

Picked up turtle wax at xenos today -
The wax was 240 bucks and also picked up an interior cleaner for another 250 odd.
Old 20th August 2010, 19:24   #2942
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
sohail/mkh, My friend is currently in US. Can you guys suggest a shopping cart for me around $50. I have Turtle platinum series Wax and shampoo currently Also a Jopasu duster and lot of micro fiber towels. I have a clay kit and scratch remover in my mind.
A Clay kit is essential and get Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 , it proves very useful for the spot treatment of nicks and scratches that will come sometime or the other for sure. As sohail mentioned a sealant is useful too, if not get Collinite wax. If you can get NXT Tech wax 2.0, its worth it.
I will highly recommend a quick detailer too, proves very useful when you want to just do a waterless car cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
But applying UC with hand on entire car is not easy job i think.
Easy?? Its a killer Ask Nirmal and he will tell you more about it.

BTW i had a very interesting morning - spent 2 hours with the CEO of Carz Spa here who had come down. I showed him my car and said it has swirls and need your inputs on what treatment to do.
The reply i got was probably the best compliment a detailer can get from someone who is one of the few professional detail experts in india
He said- " your car, even though a couple of months old, is a rare one i have seen across india. The finish is amazing and you should just not strip off the layers of sealant and attempt clearing the minor swirls. Just keep hiding them as thats what is recommeneded"
Maybe the words were not exact but this is what i heard and it was very satisfying indeed. I was tempted to tell him- wait till you see Sohails I20, you will have to crown that as maybe the best one you saw
This proves one thing- what cannot be seen is as good as gone. There is nothing like a swirl free car in our conditions( sohail can be an exception) and its best to remove the swirls but if you can hide them up using hand application, and keep it that way, works great.
The pics that we see on the different forums, they may also have swirls, one that cannot be seen except examined under the light and clearly not visible in the pic posted.
So its maintenance for me as of now, but maybe get tempted to run a DA pass that nirmal is getting soon on 2-3 sections . Ignorance is bliss- a saying we need to remember at times to be at peace!
Old 20th August 2010, 21:11   #2943
Senior - BHPian

Lol! even my car has swirls!!(not exactly swirls but random micro scratches here and there! Revealed by halogen light I have)

What you said regarding 'no car is swirl free' is the ultimate truth!
Exception may be 'Show cars' where the paint surface has to be impeccable in order to win the competition!
They even have to detail the underside of the car to get the extra edge over the other competitors! (something that I'll be trying soon! )

and the carz spa guy referred to your car's finish as rare, because no one in detailing 'business' can take care of every detail on a car, like a detailing enthusiast owner can!

Thumbs up to you man!!
Old 20th August 2010, 23:13   #2944
BHPian

Hi

I recently noticed this thread.
I read a few pages, but cannot decide what to buy.

Can you please guide me regarding:

1. Which car wax is the best?
2. Best tyre shiner? I think they come in spray type.
3. Please recommend something for the plastics.
4. How to clean the alloys and what to use?

Please mention the brand and tentative price.

BTW, my car is FIAT Punto MJD, Exotica Red.

I am a little new to car detailing scene, any help and tips is appreciated!!
Old 20th August 2010, 23:30   #2945
BHPian

Hey Sumit
Some of the quintessential car detailing products will include
- Microfiber cloths/Wash-mitt/Drying Towels
- Car Shampoo
- Clay Bars
- Car Polish
- Car Wax and Sealant
- Tyre Shiner to complement the detail

A typical detailing session would include Car Wash/Clay/Polish/Sealant/Wax

There are different types of car waxes. Pure Caranuba give you a deep wet look but are not that durable in Indian conditions. Polymer mix waxes tend to be more sustainable. I personally use Meguiars NXT 2.0 and found it great. Turtle Wax Platinum Wax is one of the best available locally.

Tyre Shiner - I've used Abel Auto Tyre Dressing. Lasts 3-4 weeks easily. Turtle Wax Wet'n'Black Aerosol is good as well.

Btw, your Red Punto looks hot anyways, with a little more detailing, we'd definitely see the mercury rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Hi

I recently noticed this thread.
I read a few pages, but cannot decide what to buy.

Can you please guide me regarding:

1. Which car wax is the best?
2. Best tyre shiner? I think they come in spray type.
3. Please recommend something for the plastics.
4. How to clean the alloys and what to use?

Please mention the brand and tentative price.

BTW, my car is FIAT Punto MJD, Exotica Red.

I am a little new to car detailing scene, any help and tips is appreciated!!
Old 20th August 2010, 23:40   #2946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelord View Post
Hey Sumit
Some of the quintessential car detailing products will include
- Microfiber cloths/Wash-mitt/Drying Towels
- Car Shampoo
- Clay Bars
- Car Polish
- Car Wax and Sealant
- Tyre Shiner to complement the detail

A typical detailing session would include Car Wash/Clay/Polish/Sealant/Wax

There are different types of car waxes. Pure Caranuba give you a deep wet look but are not that durable in Indian conditions. Polymer mix waxes tend to be more sustainable. I personally use Meguiars NXT 2.0 and found it great. Turtle Wax Platinum Wax is one of the best available locally.

Tyre Shiner - I've used Abel Auto Tyre Dressing. Lasts 3-4 weeks easily. Turtle Wax Wet'n'Black Aerosol is good as well.

Btw, your Red Punto looks hot anyways, with a little more detailing, we'd definitely see the mercury rising
Thanks for you tips and appreciate your comment.
We should go together for shopping of the above said products in a few days. I do not have the eye to real and fake in these products.

Estimated prices?
Old 21st August 2010, 08:56   #2947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Picked up turtle wax at xenos today -
The wax was 240 bucks and also picked up an interior cleaner for another 250 odd.
good . One tip through , dont use interior cleaner with bare hands , i have clean my verna interiors with formula 1 clean shot and lost about 2 micron thick layer of skin of my right hand. . so use gloves .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post

Easy?? Its a killer Ask Nirmal and he will tell you more about it.
Nirmal ji , are you listning ?????

no doubt your finish is super great and rare. so this means i that if i apply megs UC on whole car , then for minor ones , i can keep using autoglym SRP for hiding the swirls ??

may be a application after every two months is required , but thats okay for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
They even have to detail the underside of the car to get the extra edge over the other competitors! (something that I'll be trying soon! )
Isi Ki Kami Thi Bas!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelord View Post

Even I like megs NXT 2.0. for tyres , i use STP sun Of Gun .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
I do not have the eye to real and fake in these products.
The products which the lord is suggesting doesnt have fakes AFAIK.

Last edited by NOTORIOUS : 21st August 2010 at 08:58.
Old 21st August 2010, 12:58   #2948
BHPian

@notorious - Point noted.
Just got off a cleaning session of all the black marks using diesel. Ah what miserably hard work that was in this Chennai humidity. Car is almost 2 years old and this is the first time I'm trying to sincerely get rid of those marks.
Just the diesel didnt help, remembered someone mentioning that a little bit of car shampoo and diesel mix helps and tried that. Worked much better with a little bit of pressure applied.
After that had 2 more rounds of washing the car with the car shampoo and lots of water and drying up. Have asked the watchman to do one more round of washing later after which I will use the polish. Tomorrow plan to use the turtle wax to do a good detailing job. Will clean the interiors thoroughly as well.

EDIT: Diesel is tough to use and even tough to get rid off after using. I remember someone mentioning a cleaning solution for this. Was it OB40 or OW40 I dont remember. Can someone mention the name of the product and a link or photograph of it please. ANd where is it available in Chennai?

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 21st August 2010 at 12:59.
Old 21st August 2010, 15:28   #2949
BHPian

MKH - Your ANHC was looking stunning yesterday ! The "whiplash" effect of the Blackfire is getting better & better Well deserved compliments for all the hard work gone into your car !! We should run a pass of the DA to check if the minor swirls do go away !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
good . One tip through , dont use interior cleaner with bare hands , i have clean my verna interiors with formula 1 clean shot and lost about 2 micron thick layer of skin of my right hand. . so use gloves .

Nirmal ji , are you listning ?????

no doubt your finish is super great and rare. so this means i that if i apply megs UC on whole car , then for minor ones , i can keep using autoglym SRP for hiding the swirls ??

may be a application after every two months is required , but thats okay for me

Notorious
- am just waiting for the DA to arrive so that i can bid goodbye to all the aches & pains as a result of working by hand !! No doubt one can apply UC by hand, but doing one or two panels a day would be a better & less tiring option. It took me a marathon 12 hour detailing session to get all the steps done, but the effect was worth it ! Just the minor swirls & deeper scratches remain which im sure the Megs 105 + 205 applied by DA will take care of. Hiding the swirls left over can easily be accomplished with multiple layers of sealant & Collinite 845 (if one desires)

This is a nice link from Autogeek about the aggressiveness of the various products of Megs from 105 on one end to 205 on the other !

The SMAT PACK - Everything you ever wanted to know about Meguiar's SMAT products... - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

+ 1 to Notorious - Good idea to wear gloves while detailing as all the chemicals can affect your skin. Many of the products warn against contact with skin too. I use surgical gloves which you can pick up at any normal chemist shop !

Sumit - Red Punto sounds exciting ! shes such a wonderful beauty, just detailed my friends Silver Punto last weekend, will upload pics soon. Just took my breath away with her lines !

Sohail
- What you planning for the underbody !? Waiting for you to surprise us !

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 21st August 2010 at 15:31.
Old 21st August 2010, 15:55   #2950
BHPian

My i10 had a good round of cleaning at 1st service, but once I parked my car it has started raining! damn! I would need to clean the car once again! it is my fate? I have always had this problem of rain following a quick detailing session! OMG!
Old 21st August 2010, 16:39   #2951
Senior - BHPian

MutantX - you are not alone!
Persistent drizzling from time to time forced me to yet again defer the comprehensive regime that I had planned, and had to settle for wash & cleaner wax.

A few pics.

Cleaner wax brought this out - wonder what a proper claying session would do!

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc02413.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc02415.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc02417.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc02418.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc02424.jpg

The small dent on the hatch is evident in the last picture.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc02419.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc02421.jpg  

Last edited by blackasta : 21st August 2010 at 16:44.
Old 21st August 2010, 16:45   #2952
BHPian

That is the best black i10 I have ever seen. How did you get this shine?
How much old is your car?
Old 21st August 2010, 16:46   #2953
BHPian

Blackasta, good work. What wax did you use? btw how did you get that dent on your Asta's boot? *ref. last pic*

Last edited by MutantX : 21st August 2010 at 16:50.
Old 21st August 2010, 16:48   #2954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
That is the best black i10 I have ever seen. How did you get this shine?
How much old is your car?
Thanks! But to really appreciate shine you gotta take a look at sohail99's and mkh's ride.

Earlier I used to wash and use waxpol liquid wax. Since March 2010 I have been using the wash + meguiar's cleaner wax every weekend (maybe skip the wax if I am tired/busy for a week).

The car is just about an year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Blackasta, good work. What wax did you use? Hye what is that dent I see in the last pic on your Asta's boot?
I used Meguiar's cleaner wax.
The dent - well my dad took out the car a few times when I was out of country for 3 months, and in one of those runs it got the dent on the hatch. Probably from some sharp object (don't know what!)

Last edited by blackasta : 21st August 2010 at 16:51.
Old 21st August 2010, 17:48   #2955
BHPian

Is it OK to WAX a new car or better to wait for 6-7months when the initial gloss/shine starts to fade and then apply wax.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks