Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2010, 03:17   #3526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Guys, is Collinite 845 easy to buff off?
And the gloss, is it THE BEST?
collinite 845 is pretty easy to apply and buff off. The shine is not the best, but protection offered is one of the best.
Old 6th October 2010, 09:14   #3527
BHPian

Isn't there a wax that provides the best of both worlds and is easy to buff off.
Old 6th October 2010, 10:20   #3528
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't there a wax that provides the best of both worlds and is easy to buff off.
areey we all are searching for this only , tell us if you get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Abhi, Patel Auto (The Merc guys) are said to be better than Pandit & Co. Patel Auto did the paintjob on JBL's Nano displayed at Auto Expo.

Quote:
I think that was done up by Arush (Autopsyche)? NO?
no , afaik, paint job is done by patel auto guys only , rest is by Arush sir .
Old 6th October 2010, 19:42   #3529
Senior - BHPian

@abhipuru - For a perfect paint job you need a paint booth!!

Anyways, if you want to know he procedure, its mostly that we sand the base coat and polish it so that its perfectly smooth, then clean and degrease it to ensure its free from any kind of wax etc.

Then lay the first layer of clearcoat in one motion and it should all be laid in one go! no pausing etc.

then after waiting about 10-20 mins, spray a second coat in the same way and similarly a 3rd coat if you want.

Then let it dry for a few hours.

This procedure is very easy to follow in a paintbooth as there's practically no dust/wind gust/disturbance there.

I've seen people painting cars in open areas and the biggest culprit there is dust! You spray a coat of clearcoat and while you're waiting for it to dry loads of dust will settle and embed in it!

Though this might not be visible on silver and white vehicles, but it looks like an eyesore on dark colors!!

(Generally, a bodyshop will sand the panel down to the metal or primer and lay down everything again. )

After a few weeks, you can sand the clearcoat to level it with the surrounding area. Then you can compound and polish it to high gloss.
(NOTE - please make sure no one uses wax or silicone based anything near the part that has to be painted on!!)

Spray cans tend to spray a lot of product in one go, so it tends to flow and leave a trail. Spray guns that paint shops use can be adjusted to spray the perfect amount of CC so that it doesnt gravitate and leave any kind of trail.

If a paint booth sprayed paint trails, then painter is a noob!(doesnt know how to adjust the spray gun, air pressure, improper paint mixture, improper panel prep etc.)

---------------------------------------

Oh! btw I was cleaning up my tyres today and I was literally shocked to see the finish on the tyre sidewalls after dressing them!!!

Now my alloy wheels look nothing compared to the tyres! lol!

Just check out the distinction of image!
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0007.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0008.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0010.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0018.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0019.jpg  

Last edited by sohail99 : 6th October 2010 at 19:52.
Old 6th October 2010, 21:21   #3530
BHPian

Wow ! I never knew DOI was achievable on a tire sidewall ! Did you use any new tire shine ?!
Old 6th October 2010, 21:40   #3531
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Its tougher to have a swirl free car than to get it swirl removed. That said, you cannot rely on an untrained washer and think about having no swirls. All you can do is this- get a swirl removal, and then hand him a Car duster and a few micros.
He does nothign special to put swirls, all he does is his job with crappy cloth probably. Even then, swirls will come, though delayed a lot if he uses micro ONLY to wipe when wet and duster when dry and also a wash mitt to wash.
No coating in the world can resist swirls, only that putting sealant and wax can hide them( by hand i meant)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Akshay - As MKH has rightly pointed out, get a surface treatment done, to repair the surface, post that the following is required. Minor swirls cannot be prevented in frequent use cars, only we can try our best to avoid them forming into major ones !

- California/Jopasu duster to remove light dust & dirt
- Microfiber wash mitt - to reduce the chances of swirls
- Micro fiber towels to use while wiping, reducing chances of swirls again
- A good car wash shampoo

Below is a good link to understand the right methods of washing, as its the most likely method of inducing swirls.
Car Wash Guide, Car Wash how to - easy steps to shampoo and dry your vehicle using paint-safe mitts and towels, plus sponges, the Grit Guard and

I found, its only a matter of training the guy who washes you car to do it properly. It took me time to guide our driver on the right way to wash the cars & now he does it as a matter of routine. I also wash the car along with him & Ive disposed all the old cloths he used to use too & replaced with a Megs wash mitt ! Since he gets compliments from other drivers on the way the cars are maintained, it keeps him motivated too
Well very frankly, im surprised how this guy managed to mess my car up so bad. I mean after I got the detailing done, I gave him a new cloth and everything. But I looked around and even saw an S class with swirls (not as bad as mine), so this chap even managed to get through the ceramic clear coat of an S.

But when I get my car done next month, Im going to change the washing person. Where can I get MF cloths in Bombay? I might go to the US soon otherwise ill just pick them up there.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 6th October 2010, 21:50   #3532
BHPian

Please recommend me a good
1. Alloy Wheel Cleaner
2. Tire Cleaner and Shiner

Can the alloy wheel cleaner be used to clean tyre sidewalls and vice versa?
Old 6th October 2010, 21:54   #3533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Oh! btw I was cleaning up my tyres today and I was literally shocked to see the finish on the tyre sidewalls after dressing them!!!

Now my alloy wheels look nothing compared to the tyres! lol!

Just check out the distinction of image!

Sohail,what tire dresser are you using?
Old 7th October 2010, 00:06   #3534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Wow ! I never knew DOI was achievable on a tire sidewall ! Did you use any new tire shine ?!
Lol! yea! I too was surprised!

no new tire shine!! Just noticed its full potential now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Sohail,what tire dresser are you using?
Locally available Turtle Wax wet n black! (its kinda like a gem in all the car care crap we have here!)

Last edited by sohail99 : 7th October 2010 at 00:11.
Old 7th October 2010, 00:32   #3535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think that was done up by Arush (Autopsyche)? NO?
Only the Body Kit was done by Autopsyche.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
no , afaik, paint job is done by patel auto guys only , rest is by Arush sir .
5th pic in following link says it all: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...po-2010-a.html
Old 7th October 2010, 01:41   #3536
BHPian

Okay, Okay got it.
But, Patel Auto must be even more expensive than Pandit or is it not so?
Old 7th October 2010, 10:28   #3537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Lol! yea! I too was surprised!

no new tire shine!! Just noticed its full potential now!

Locally available Turtle Wax wet n black! (its kinda like a gem in all the car care crap we have here!)

How did u manage such a deep shine with the turtle wax?
Old 7th October 2010, 12:09   #3538
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, I think I will have to wait longer for my Zwipes MF towels and wash mitts to arrive through SYW. They have apparently screwed up the delivery and have no idea where the stuff is right now since they dont even have the tracking number! Hope it gets delivered or else I will have to ask for a refund.
Old 7th October 2010, 17:25   #3539
Senior - BHPian

@sohail: Looks like you got clear coat on your tyres as well
Old 7th October 2010, 19:26   #3540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Tried a session of polishing over the weekend, tried out Sonax polish, surface looks good but the swirls and scratches are still there underneath , guess I should try a swirl remover first before polishing ?
Quote:
^You can try removing swirls and then polishing on a test spot.

First choose any test spot on your car(with swirls etc.), then use a rubbing compound that you have to take out deeper swirls and then polish it out with sonax polish.

If the test spot looks really nice and without swirls, you can use this method for problem areas without probs!

Quick question , was considering using swirl remover this weekend but since there is a coat of sonax + collinite on top , should i wait for it to wear down a bit ? or is there anyway to remove the wax layer ?

Last edited by bottle : 7th October 2010 at 19:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks