Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2011, 23:29   #4096
Senior - BHPian

re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

thanks for the insight. i used the rotary in very low rpms and kept it moving continuously.

waiting for some tips from experts like sohail, mkh, nirmal and others.

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 20th January 2011 at 23:31.
Old 21st January 2011, 00:52   #4097
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
thanks for the insight. i used the rotary in very low rpms and kept it moving continuously.

waiting for some tips from experts like sohail, mkh, nirmal and others.
I have no experience in using a rotary and completely against a new person using it. Sohail has experience so can comment. Why on earth did you venture out with a rotary?
As for swirls- its garbage talk that they will not go etc( the 3M guy). New cars have swirls but not all, my neighbour just bought a new black car and i am shocked that it does NOT have swirls! Swirls do come back, but with care, they come back later than usual and lesser too. Regular follow up treatments can prolong and hiding them if they are minor(recommended). Its not good to keep cutting into paint as in our conditions, wiping is something we cannot do away with and that means swirls!
If these are buffer swirls that came about due to improper technique or dirty pad, then they will be tough to go for sure. You need a cutting compound, which one did you use?
I recently saw a Tuscan wine Linea, which we are doing up this weekend, that had huge swirls and is very new, i can give you a proper outcome once that has swirls cleared up, it also has buffer swirls! Please be careful on what you attempt!

Last edited by mkh : 21st January 2011 at 00:54. Reason: added text
Old 21st January 2011, 10:03   #4098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
I have no experience in using a rotary and completely against a new person using it. Sohail has experience so can comment. Why on earth did you venture out with a rotary?
the rotary dint induce swirls. i first used the orbital buffer. which was very easy to use.
after this i used a rotary buffer as it had 7 speed variable motor.
i tried removing the swirls by MAG swirl remover. i think its has very mild abrasives.
Old 21st January 2011, 10:48   #4099
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the rotary dint induce swirls. i first used the orbital buffer. which was very easy to use.
after this i used a rotary buffer as it had 7 speed variable motor.
i tried removing the swirls by MAG swirl remover. i think its has very mild abrasives.
Well if you are comfortable with it, no issues. However i cannot understand the reason for swirls NOT to go, its easier with a rotary in fact. Try a higher cut compound, but remember each time you are running it, you are eating into the OEM paint.
Old 21st January 2011, 10:59   #4100
BHPian

My questions to detailing gurus here, My car is covered with tree saps. can isopropyl alcohol be used to clean exterior and interior of the car?. is there any precautions to be taken.
Old 21st January 2011, 11:07   #4101
Distinguished - BHPian

I get a fine line of white residual waste along the edge of marking tape after polishing, etc. and I find it very painful to remove (even with the alcohol wipe) and a places where the tape ends, i get a smudge which is even more painful to remove and looks ugly.

How to solve this problem?
Old 21st January 2011, 11:21   #4102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well if you are comfortable with it, no issues. However i cannot understand the reason for swirls NOT to go, its easier with a rotary in fact. Try a higher cut compound, but remember each time you are running it, you are eating into the OEM paint.
is it because of the polishing pad i am using? i am using a final finishing pad the white ones in the pic below. while polishing with swirl remover the polish breaks down completely, but the swirls are not vanishing. also at the end of the cycle the polisher sorts of jumps.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p29364.jpg  

Old 21st January 2011, 12:04   #4103
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
is it because of the polishing pad i am using? i am using a final finishing pad the white ones in the pic below. while polishing with swirl remover the polish breaks down completely, but the swirls are not vanishing. also at the end of the cycle the polisher sorts of jumps.
Aha! A polishing pad is to polish post compounding and not for swirl removal(unless minor). You need a compounding pad, in the DA world its a orange/yellow pad. A white pad with a polish has HARDLY any cut so no question of swirls going away! I think this is the root of your problem.
Old 21st January 2011, 12:32   #4104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conoco View Post
Anyone here tried Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine ? I'm very tempted to order this:
Amazon.com: Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine (ONR) 32oz: Automotive
through one of the online shopping gateways.

Please let me know (by PM would be nice too) if you have any advice to offer regarding the product and a decent online shop like 20north, iccworld etc.

Muchos Gracias
I think the best would be shopyourworld.com. they even offer 5% discount on the purchase made through ICICI credit card. Also go in for a 128 oz pack which is priced at Rs. 2500 + 400 shipping. I have bought one and waiting for the delivery to happen anytime now. will keep the forum updated on the performance on the same in Indian conditions.

You may also look at some good microfiber cloth in this site which is cheaper and better.
Old 21st January 2011, 12:54   #4105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aha! A polishing pad is to polish post compounding and not for swirl removal(unless minor). You need a compounding pad, in the DA world its a orange/yellow pad. A white pad with a polish has HARDLY any cut so no question of swirls going away! I think this is the root of your problem.
seems to be the problem. where can i get this orange pad? what brand is it? will it completely remove the swirl marks?

also do you feel that its because i am using a white pad its jumping around? it kind of sticks to the surface and becomes difficult to move and starts jumping.

also can you suggest me a good swirl remover?
Old 21st January 2011, 14:04   #4106
Senior - BHPian

The pad sticks and that causes the jumping. Its cause there isnt any product left to lubricate the pad on the paint. this jumping around usually causes holograms and marring!

Try priming the pad with the polish that you have and then take some more on the face of the pad and then try it out!

keep the pad on the paint and then only start the rotary.(while working with a rotary its very important to work in shade and to ensure that the panel is always cool to touch and most importantly clean and free from all dust!!)

Keep checking the temperature of the panel you're working on in between polishing.(with the back of your hand)

It should be warm and not hot! In case it gets warm or a little towards the hotter side, let it cooldown and then resume.

Check out a few videos related to rotary polishing and most importantly, this - Machine Polishing by Rotary Polisher - Full Guide - Detailing World It covers almost all the aspects of rotary polishing!(only the theory part)

I found out a lot more after actually using a rotary polisher! There are a lot of variables out there, most of which are paint and environment related and cannot be covered by guides and stuff!
Those variables are to be experienced personally and then you have to adjust your technique accordingly to achieve what you want!

Do post pics of the defects in question if possible!
Old 21st January 2011, 16:55   #4107
Senior - BHPian

i will take some pics of my car tomm in sunlight. but they look very much similar to ones posted below. ditto. pic taken from above document sohail posted.

thanks sohail. can you recommend good swirl remover and where can i get it off the shelf.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p10100052.jpg  

Old 21st January 2011, 17:30   #4108
Senior - BHPian

What all can you get there?

I had tried Scratchout paste with a rotary on my dad's car and it worked quite good!

I couldn't find anything better for OTC products available here!(What all do you have available there?)

If you can get Meguiars Ultimate Compound then that'll be great!!
With a foam pad you can correct the defects and finish nicely on the same pad with it!

Be careful though, with a rotary, there's a chance of hologramming if the polishes/compounds are not worked in properly! Especially those with diminishing abrasive tech. Good thing is holograms are shallow defects that can be removed easily!

I always finish with a DA polisher!

And before you start polishing or waxing with the orbital polisher, always check the the panel you're going to work on is clean, the pad is clean, cord over your shoulder and if possible, wear gloves(if available(optional)) They help grip the machine better and protect your hands from cold! + adds to the 'work clean' goal!
Old 21st January 2011, 22:53   #4109
Nos007

3M professional range is also available in delhi like fast cut compound, Extra fine compound etc . at a reasonable rate of around 1k for one liter .

Old 21st January 2011, 23:06   #4110
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos007 View Post
3M professional range is also available in delhi like fast cut compound, Extra fine compound etc . at a reasonable rate of around 1k for one liter .
Are these the same what are sold in the US? I think not, the quality is much inferior if am not mistaken. World around, have not seen much pro detailers claim they use 3M, strange but looks like they are not that sought after except in 3M detailing outlets. Megs and other labelled brands like Menzerna, Poorboys, Wolfgang, DP are more sought after and used.

Most Viewed