Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2010, 23:29   #3346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Abro carnauba wax contains abrasives ?! Sounds strange to have carnauba & abrasives together in a product

I was trying to register on the gamut auto site yesterday but was not able to, if some one has ordered, can you please post the feedback ?

I found the Sonax wheel cleaner gel to be interesting, if someone has used, please post your experience too !

Abro thing is a cleaner wax(its like, to save money while making a cleaner wax, they literally mixed a rubbing compound to their carnauba liquid wax!!!)

Its like if you don't get 3M finesse it, buy abro carnauba wax!! LOL!

------------------------
Congrats vasoo on the new stuff!! you can also get a 4-piece microfiber kit containing wash mitts and stuff from bbImpex!
I recently got mine from them

btw UC is like a compound/polish hybrid! It usually finishes LSP ready(as in you can just apply wax/sealant after using UC)
(but I've heard that a polish can further enhance that finish! dunno)

Do post after pics!! (and have fun!)

-------------------------

btw went to my 'driveway' to detail today and am completely broken down now!!

Compounding and polishing a panel is soo exhausting!!( I wonder how pro- detailers do it!)
what kept me going were the results. Damn! my i20 looks even better.

I was able to restore a repainted panel to (near! :P)factory finish!!

btw here are some pics of my 'work area' (no proper before/after pics as the clouds were playing tricks with the light conditions!!)

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0004.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0005.jpg

At this point I was too tired to continue + losing daylight!
So took some pics!
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0006.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0007.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0008.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0009.jpg

Here is one before/after pic of the door I corrected! (only UC with a DA)

Before
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0001.jpg

After
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0003.jpg

It looks quite good but, if you look up close, it still needs a lot of work.

This was just an exercise to find out how effective is the DA and how the surroundings of the 'workplace' actually boost you if they are good!
Old 24th September 2010, 23:41   #3347
BHPian

^^^^ Nice results !

On another note, your car deserves a nicer number plate. A good plate with a neat font really transforms the look of a car, more so such a meticulously maintained one. Just my 2 cents
Old 24th September 2010, 23:53   #3348
Senior - BHPian

Actually, this no plate has saved my car from other ppl's mistakes while parking!!
(the first point of impact on the front end is the no. plate!)

so its kinda more of a bull bar replacement to me! lol

But yes, I'll definitely get better plates!(maybe utsav ones! hmm...)

Thanks!

PS - Oops! In the state of suspended animation, I forgot to censor out the plates
Old 24th September 2010, 23:57   #3349
Senior - BHPian

@sohail - is it your car's picture that appears on the masthead of tbhp site?
Nice little workspace you got there - but try to plan a shed on iron pipes. Shall make you less tired and IMO all detailing work should be done in shade when the car is cool to touch.
Old 25th September 2010, 00:09   #3350
BHPian

@Sohail, thats fantastic result simply Great!
Looks like after rains finally you got chance to put your DA to use ;-)
Old 25th September 2010, 00:13   #3351
Senior - BHPian

@blackasta - I think its the Euro version on the tbhp header(euro spec alloys on it!)

Yea I need a shed type thing!
but this experience made me realize that detailing in a closed well lit/air conditioned room with a refrigerator for quick refreshments is like heaven on earth for me!!!(pause anytime you like, resume anytime you like! Now that luxury is unrivaled!)

And I was in the shade always. If the panels were already warm, I cooled them down with quick IPA wipedowns!

@RemingtonSteele -

Yea!! throughout these rains I had been tracking the weather(learned quite a lot on how to predict it too!)
Friday to next Saturday were stated as 'Clear and Sunny'(My humble thanks to God! )

so I set out on a quest!

Last edited by sohail99 : 25th September 2010 at 00:18.
Old 25th September 2010, 07:06   #3352
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sohail.Thats some serious detailing dude.What all steps did you follow to get the finish?Also i see megs UC in background.its a abrasive rubbing compound right ?
Old 25th September 2010, 07:08   #3353
Distinguished - BHPian

I had few doubts.Had posted them before but it went unnoticed.So here i go again

what happens to the wax we have applied when we wash the car with normal garden hose.does it stick or get washed away?also when we use car wash and wash mitt does it remove the old layer of wax thereby exposing the paint layer under it?

And what exactly does the term "buffing " means in detailing?Experts please answer!
Old 25th September 2010, 08:58   #3354
Senior - BHPian

Whoa.. thats some serious detailing dude. Keep up the amazing work I really admire your efforts to transform the dull panel into shiny new mirror. True Megs style. BTW in your post you mentioned something about repainted panel. When did that happened to your i20. I think yours was a truly untouched car.
Old 25th September 2010, 11:16   #3355
Senior - BHPian

1. Is it safe to use Eagle one nanowax spray after a car wash (with Amway shampoo) and application of Amway Silicone Glaze?
2. Would the finishing/shine improve after the use of eagle one nanowax spray once the car is polished with amway silicone glaze or would it ruin it as it contains abrasives?

I don't want the use of eagle one spray to be counterproductive after applying amway silicone glaze, hence checking.
Old 25th September 2010, 11:41   #3356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Yea! no taking her/it out during the rains!!

Its my car's first ever experience (& worst ever) of what monsoon is like here!!
So I wanted her to be safe from all that water!!

btw u got that black pearl thing?
Sorry for the late reply buddy, yep, I got the same stuff. It's terrific to say the least. Although, I think being a professional product, it would fare a lot better if done with a rotary polisher or something. I was skeptical about the abrasive content in it, but thankfully, doesn't have much. It's good to use once in about a month or so & it's great at beading water. Will post pictures, with water beading after more than 2 weeks of continous rains. You would have to see it to believe it.

Drive safe.
Old 25th September 2010, 13:21   #3357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
If the panels were already warm, I cooled them down with quick IPA wipedowns!
Awesome Results Sohail bhai !!!

What does one should call IPA if wanna purchase ????

and does it need to be diluted with water ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
1. Is it safe to use Eagle one nanowax spray after a car wash (with Amway shampoo) and application of Amway Silicone Glaze?
2. Would the finishing/shine improve after the use of eagle one nanowax spray once the car is polished with amway silicone glaze or would it ruin it as it contains abrasives?
I think it will not be a problem. and also amway silicone glaze is a kind of pure polish with glazing oils , so it will not be a issue.

also i dont think that nano wax contains so much abbrasives then we have talked about.

also its better to test the application on a hidden test panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Sorry for the late reply buddy, yep, I got the same stuff. It's terrific to say the least. Although, I think being a professional product, it would fare a lot better if done with a rotary polisher or something. I was skeptical about the abrasive content in it, but thankfully, doesn't have much. It's good to use once in about a month or so & it's great at beading water. Will post pictures, with water beading after more than 2 weeks of continous rains. You would have to see it to believe it.
Which product are you talking about ???
Old 25th September 2010, 15:06   #3358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
@Sohail.Thats some serious detailing dude.What all steps did you follow to get the finish?Also i see megs UC in background.its a abrasive rubbing compound right ?
I just quick washed with a home-brewed no rinse car wash! > IPA wipedown > UC with the DA and orange cutting pad. (btw its still not 'finish'ed! )

UC is like a compound with diminishing abrasives that also refines the surface as the abrasives break down to finer ones.

(I'd like to try out the traditional 3 step polishing though! Including Compounding > polishing > finishing. I've heard the three steps are worth the time and labor!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I had few doubts.Had posted them before but it went unnoticed.So here i go again

what happens to the wax we have applied when we wash the car with normal garden hose.does it stick or get washed away?also when we use car wash and wash mitt does it remove the old layer of wax thereby exposing the paint layer under it?

And what exactly does the term "buffing " means in detailing?Experts please answer!
Washing a waxed car is actually easy! as the water tends to sheet off of the panels and you don't have a hard time getting the panels to dry!!

Yes, washing does take a little bit of wax off, but that mostly depends on the wax used(collinite and most sealants resist detergents etc. and are hard to remove), wash technique, car wash shampoo(mild and neutral ph shampoos don't damage the wax that much), water quality(hard water containing calcium salts etc. tends to leave behind salts etc. when it evaporates. This can potentially etch through the wax in your paint if exposed to sun for long periods.

I would recommend putting a fresh coat of wax or using a spray wax just after washing just to be on the safer side

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Whoa.. thats some serious detailing dude. Keep up the amazing work I really admire your efforts to transform the dull panel into shiny new mirror. True Megs style. BTW in your post you mentioned something about repainted panel. When did that happened to your i20. I think yours was a truly untouched car.

Thanks! Really appreciate it!

I hope it was truly untouched! but here in Delhi you get blind ppl pushing carts/thelas. They are always looking down rather than at whats directly in front of them! (if you put a huge hole in the middle of the road with warnings and all, all of them will end up at the bottom of that pit!)

Also, some idiot kinda scratched the same panel while trying to park alongside my i20. (I returned to find that same car and knew that the car was the culprit! can I take revenge in such situations?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
Awesome Results Sohail bhai !!!

What does one should call IPA if wanna purchase ????

and does it need to be diluted with water ???
You can get it at chemists by the name - rubbing alcohol.

Yea! ideally you need to dilute it to 1:1 in distilled water.
Some ppl use it directly in full concentration.
Old 25th September 2010, 16:19   #3359
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks sohail for your reply.Also can you please tell me what exactly is "Buffing".Like "buff with a microfiber".What does it mean?And when should it be done?

Also doesnt Megs UC contain abrasives?Which means you will lose a small layer of paint when you use it right?

And also does isopropyl alcohol affect paint in any way like fading spotting?

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 25th September 2010 at 16:26.
Old 25th September 2010, 16:56   #3360
Senior - BHPian

'Buffing' as I understand, applies to a wide range of processes and techniques.

It generally means, working on the paint and bringing the paint surface to a high gloss(buffing in case of a machine means, paint correction and polishing to a high gloss)

Buffing with a micofiber generally applies to quick detailer, spray wax application and wax removal. If for example you are quick detailing, then you spray the product on the paint and wipe it around. Then you turn your cloth and wipe away the QD off the paint to a nice shine! That act of wiping away the QD is termed as buffing!

Basically, the last act of using the microfiber on the panel to remove any last wax/QD residues after waxing to bring out the shine!(is buffing!)

This is as I understood the term! (I may be wrong!)
I generally don't use that term as it isn't specific!

(like some people say that 'Buff the surface to a high gloss'. It can mean anything!
You can work with a machine or hand etc. to achieve that high gloss!

Specificity of the procedure followed/to be followed isn't there!)

Hope that helps a bit

Ultimate Compound -

Compound by definition contains harsh abrasives meant for moderate to severe paint correction.

Usually a surface with paint defects contains many sharp pits and hills(when seen through a microscope) The edges of these pits reflect light in such a way that they appear as swirls/ scratches. A compound cuts the surrounding clearcoat to the base of these pits so that they are no longer there, but in the process, you are removing the clearcoat!

But very less quantities are removed! Don't worry!

UC is a compound in which the abrasives cut and correct the paint defects and then breakdown to finer abrasives which polish out the paint to a nice scratch free finish.
(but to ensure that the abrasives break down properly, you have to work in the product for sometime! (maybe a minute and a half to 2 minutes in a small area)

And IPA is just a light solvent meant to clean the polishing residue after polishing, for proper surface inspection, to remove fillers. It can also be used to strip off the sealant/wax prior to polishing!

Just make sure you wipe it off as soon as you spray it anywhere. Mixed 1:1 with water it doesn't cause any fading etc.

Last edited by sohail99 : 25th September 2010 at 17:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks