Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2010, 11:39   #3286
BANNED

Hi Everyone. Here is an update.
I called Swetadri Associates at Bangalore and was informed that 3M has taken over Meguiars worldwide and hence there is a stock shortage currently.

I am going to their Basaweshwaranagar office this evening to check what they have. They do not have the "Ultimate Compound" that I was looking for though
Old 21st September 2010, 11:46   #3287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Well, they did come a couple of years ago. They had a stall and had a huge collection of detailing stuff. But at that time I thought nothing can beat the yellow dabba of Formula 1.

I saw you, Nirmal and Sohail over at MOL, even I've registered over there.
I agree we are giving them and their products so much visibility here, perhaps they should even make you guys their brand ambassaors
Brand ambassador or not - we can well be their loyal customers!
I do not have that amount of financial security/backing - else I would have quit my job and set up a full fledged car detailing shop + stockist for Megs / turtle wax / zyno / wolfgang / 3M / blackfire / klasse / mothers etc.
Old 21st September 2010, 12:03   #3288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I called Swetadri Associates at Bangalore and was informed that 3M has taken over Meguiars worldwide and hence there is a stock shortage currently.

I am going to their Basaweshwaranagar office this evening to check what they have. They do not have the "Ultimate Compound" that I was looking for though
Good Devdath,

Update us once you visit them, I wanted to know what all they have in stock of my interest before planning a visit from HSR to their office.

Cheers
Raghu
Old 21st September 2010, 12:09   #3289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Brand ambassador or not - we can well be their loyal customers!
I do not have that amount of financial security/backing - else I would have quit my job and set up a full fledged car detailing shop + stockist for Megs / turtle wax / zyno / wolfgang / 3M / blackfire / klasse / mothers etc.
And it'd be something you'll love to do from the bottom of your heart. Perhaps one day; you should take inspiration from a fellow BHPian who has opened a motorcyle themed cafe in Pune. The thread can be found in the motorbike section.

I guess i should put up what I managed to lay my hands on over the past weekend:

Formula 1 Wash and Wax - car shampoo
Formula 1 polish - Yellow dabba, I already have it. Would need something better though.
Collinite 845 Insulator wax
ArmorALL Original protectant - Dashboard cleaner
ArmorALL Detailers Advantage Tire foam
Clean Cham - Synthetic chamois
1 microfiber towel that came with Collinite

What I am still looking for:
A clay bar - can do without it for the moment
Compound - Something that reduces/removes scratches and swirls
Sealant - Will Collinte do?
Wax - Anything that you guys can recommend from Turtlewax or Formula 1 line of products, its impossible getting megs here in Bombay.
Alloy cleaner
Car duster - Jopasu perhaps
MF Towel/Mitt set - 4 Piece set from BB Impex.
Tire and wheel scrubber/cleaner.

Looking forward to your advice.

Thanks

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 21st September 2010 at 12:11.
Old 21st September 2010, 12:57   #3290
Senior - BHPian

This is a great link to know the different Meguiars product and its uses.
Happy reading.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 21st September 2010 at 12:58. Reason: Corrected a typo
Old 21st September 2010, 15:11   #3291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

Don't be fooled by what they say. The announcement by 3M about the acquisition of the Meg Car Care products came out on Sept 8, 2008. And 3M is not a company which takes two years to work out their distribution problems. Fact is Megs must be a the size of a zit on the 3M cheek. So are they interested in India?

3M in India are into industrial products particularly adhesives. But in the retail segment they are not very visible but they are improving. Spencers, Metro etc carry 3M household products.

Let us hope they will get to automotive products soon.

Rgds
Old 21st September 2010, 18:20   #3292
Senior - BHPian

3M makes one of the finest finishing polishes!!(Ultrafina) and really good foam polishing pads.

Basically 3M makes(sells in US) everything that a detailer will ever need to get a show car finish!!!(just not for India! )
Old 21st September 2010, 18:51   #3293
BHPian

There is some extensive knowledge on this forum about car detailing. However call me old school, but i feel a car must be "detailed" a la corrected and sealed once in 6 months to a year because:

a) it feels more satisfying to correct a car once in 6 months as you can visibly make out the difference as you work from panel to panel.

b) As the punters here already know, you rub down a layer of paint as you "cut" using a rubbing compound/abrasive or any other corrective device.

Sum & substance, too much of even a good thing is bad.

If a PROPER wash technique is followed, frequent correction will not be required. VACUMM>WASH>DRY(safely)>PREP TYRES & VINYLS/PLASTICS> WAX once a week and your car is ship shape and swirl free.

I am well aware that there are different standards as to what constitutes a clean car (pedantic myself) but come on, give your waxed and prepped pride and joys a good run once in a way and get them a little dirty. There is a weird satisfaction in cleaning a mud caked car to perfection once in a way

Kudos to the knowledge and dedication on this forum.
Old 21st September 2010, 21:47   #3294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Basically 3M makes(sells in US) everything that a detailer will ever need to get a show car finish!!!(just not for India! )
I suppose they still think we travel on Elephants.

But Auto companies should wake them up about the tremendous market for car cleaning products. Till then imports seem the only way.

But seriously, how big is the demand for car cleaning products. Almost everyone I meet ask me as to why I wax my car. The drivers in my apartment wonder why I spend 2-3 hours cleaning a car.

If I were a car driver, I'd spend the whole day cleaning my car with so much time available. Owners pride I guess.
Old 22nd September 2010, 00:54   #3295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
There is some extensive knowledge on this forum about car detailing. However call me old school, but i feel a car must be "detailed" a la corrected and sealed once in 6 months to a year because:

a) it feels more satisfying to correct a car once in 6 months as you can visibly make out the difference as you work from panel to panel.

b) As the punters here already know, you rub down a layer of paint as you "cut" using a rubbing compound/abrasive or any other corrective device.

Sum & substance, too much of even a good thing is bad.

If a PROPER wash technique is followed, frequent correction will not be required. VACUMM>WASH>DRY(safely)>PREP TYRES & VINYLS/PLASTICS> WAX once a week and your car is ship shape and swirl free.

I am well aware that there are different standards as to what constitutes a clean car (pedantic myself) but come on, give your waxed and prepped pride and joys a good run once in a way and get them a little dirty. There is a weird satisfaction in cleaning a mud caked car to perfection once in a way

Kudos to the knowledge and dedication on this forum.
AAAh ! A sane man at last !!

IMHO you are 99% correct in what you say. One should not get obsessed. I think the obsession comes from the urge to try. And the forum thrives on the knowledge gained and shared.

Your point (a) If you are happy feeling satisfied once in 6 months you are not a passionate detailer. Nothing wrong except that you are missing IT.

Your point (b) Mind that detailing does not necessarily mean correcting the paint. When you say wax every week you are doing some detailing every week.

Detailing serves two purposes - protection and beauty. The correction part apply to beauty but you must regularly protect the exterior & interior. Many the products used and the processes followed actually serve both purposes so you land up doing both.

But your are right the guys on this forum are nuts !

Rgds

Last edited by Garipagol : 22nd September 2010 at 00:56.
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:02   #3296
Senior - BHPian

Exactly Ash_vtec and Garipagol.
We need to remember that cars are meant to be driven and our conditions are generally dusty.

Detailing a vehicle is a very satisfying process. I agree a detailed detailing process should be done perhaps twice or thrice a year, the regular washing and quick detailing more regularly.

I remember when I got my Pulsar almost 9 years ago, I got into such a rut with it that I would fret over taking it out for spins fearing I would cake the bike with dust.
Old 22nd September 2010, 13:09   #3297
Senior - BHPian

Detailing generally happens when a person falls in love with his car! literally!!

Since, detailing is the only thing I enjoy doing, I cant limit that! I have to do it again and again.

And its not like, you washed your vehicle(includes glass care) and wheels, polished and waxed it to perfection and your done! No!

Clean and dress the exterior trims like plastic and rubber parts. Clean the wax/polish residue lodged in between the panel gaps etc.

Its all about attention to detail. Thats why its called detailing!

Clean/ polish/ wax the door jambs, underside of doors, bonnet, hatch/trunk.
Detail the engine(while keeping in mind the 'attention to detail' and clean and dress every part even if it isn't visible or difficult to access!

(to some extent detailing is also about protection and not merely looks!)

Done all that? we're still not finished! lol

Though this might seem overkill but I feel its essential to complete the detailing process.

Get under the vehicle, clean the mud with a pressure washer or a handy pressure sprayer and shampoo. You might need a degreaser to clean off the stubborn dust and mud.

After that dry it all and polish all the 'polishable' metals like nuts, exhaust pipe/chrome tips and clean the shock absorber springs ad suspension parts.

in the end apply a metal wax to all these unpainted polish able metals to prevent/retard rust formation. And wax the springs and all other parts prone to frequent water contact!

After all that the super satisfying feeling one gets is unrivaled!!

(you'll know that your car's undercarriage will be safe next time you have to go through a puddle or a waterlogged area.)
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:27   #3298
Senior - BHPian

I have purchased a yellow dabba of Formula1 Carnabula Car Wax. Will be using it this weekend.

How much quantity do I need to apply ? In other words, for roughly how many applications will the can last for a small car (i10) ?

Rohan
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:44   #3299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Detailing generally happens when a person falls in love with his car! literally!!

Since, detailing is the only thing I enjoy doing, I cant limit that! I have to do it again and again.

And its not like, you washed your vehicle(includes glass care) and wheels, polished and waxed it to perfection and your done! No!

Clean and dress the exterior trims like plastic and rubber parts. Clean the wax/polish residue lodged in between the panel gaps etc.

Its all about attention to detail. Thats why its called detailing!

Clean/ polish/ wax the door jambs, underside of doors, bonnet, hatch/trunk.
Detail the engine(while keeping in mind the 'attention to detail' and clean and dress every part even if it isn't visible or difficult to access!

(to some extent detailing is also about protection and not merely looks!)

Done all that? we're still not finished! lol

Though this might seem overkill but I feel its essential to complete the detailing process.

Get under the vehicle, clean the mud with a pressure washer or a handy pressure sprayer and shampoo. You might need a degreaser to clean off the stubborn dust and mud.

After that dry it all and polish all the 'polishable' metals like nuts, exhaust pipe/chrome tips and clean the shock absorber springs ad suspension parts.

in the end apply a metal wax to all these unpainted polish able metals to prevent/retard rust formation. And wax the springs and all other parts prone to frequent water contact!

After all that the super satisfying feeling one gets is unrivaled!!

(you'll know that your car's undercarriage will be safe next time you have to go through a puddle or a waterlogged area.)
Sohail, do you ever even get the time & heart to drive the car? I have a feeling you haven't taken it out on the roads for almost 2 months now due to heavy rains

Anyways, I got myself that 3 litre can I told you about.
Old 22nd September 2010, 16:16   #3300
Senior - BHPian

Yea! no taking her/it out during the rains!!

Its my car's first ever experience (& worst ever) of what monsoon is like here!!
So I wanted her to be safe from all that water!!

btw u got that black pearl thing?

Last edited by sohail99 : 22nd September 2010 at 16:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks