Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2010, 02:38   #3181
Senior - BHPian

Today while washing my car I found that the wiper marks on my front windshield are VERY prominent.
The 3M glass cleaner I use is of no use on the wiper marks.
I am wondering what should I do - 50-50 solution of vinegar and water?
Old 12th September 2010, 10:24   #3182
Senior - BHPian

Does the scratch catch your nail?

You can try vinegar/water(but do a spot test first)

if the marks are still there you can try 100% vinegar without dilution. ( I doubt these will solve the prob!)
If it still doesn't go, then you need something aggressive

The glass might need compounding and polishing with a rubbing compound!(Do a test spot in a small area first)
I've heard toothpaste also works!(might wanna try it out first)

Windshield experts have a glass cutting compound that they use for glass polishing!(since glass is wayyy harder than clear coat)

Last edited by sohail99 : 12th September 2010 at 10:32.
Old 12th September 2010, 11:00   #3183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Does the scratch catch your nail?

You can try vinegar/water(but do a spot test first)

if the marks are still there you can try 100% vinegar without dilution. ( I doubt these will solve the prob!)
If it still doesn't go, then you need something aggressive

The glass might need compounding and polishing with a rubbing compound!(Do a test spot in a small area first)
I've heard toothpaste also works!(might wanna try it out first)

Windshield experts have a glass cutting compound that they use for glass polishing!(since glass is wayyy harder than clear coat)
It does not hold my nail.

I shall try the suggested solutions and let know my findings.
Thanks!
Old 12th September 2010, 11:32   #3184
BHPian

Couple of "is it safe" queries!

1) In relation to blackasta's question about windshield cleaning, is it ok to use colin spray on windshield? Its normally used on household appliances isnt it?

2) Is it ok to use these scotch brite sponges (sponges, not the scrub), to apply polish onto the car before buffing it with MF cloth? Its the same as the wax applicator sponge that comes with Turtle wax right or do we run the risk of scratches?

And a 3rd query - What is the safe method for cleaning the ac blowers? Is it ok to vacuum, or are there any other effective methods?
Old 12th September 2010, 11:34   #3185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Couple of "is it safe" queries!

1) In relation to blackasta's question about windshield cleaning, is it ok to use colin spray on windshield? Its normally used on household appliances isnt it?

2) Is it ok to use these scotch brite sponges (sponges, not the scrub), to apply polish onto the car before buffing it with MF cloth? Its the same as the wax applicator sponge that comes with Turtle wax right or do we run the risk of scratches?

And a 3rd query - What is the safe method for cleaning the ac blowers? Is it ok to vacuum, or are there any other effective methods?
Colin has an image of car windshield on the label - so guess it can be used (may not be the best thing).

I have the same query about A/C cleaning.
Old 12th September 2010, 12:09   #3186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Colin has an image of car windshield on the label - so guess it can be used (may not be the best thing).

I have the same query about A/C cleaning.
I came across this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ria-fungi.html

I am going to try to vacuum the leaves and stuff that have been caught around the wiper area etc and in the water catching bay under the hood, then will try the hot air technique mentioned.
Old 13th September 2010, 12:46   #3187
BHPian

@ Csateesh : Any update on shipping of your products ???
Old 13th September 2010, 15:34   #3188
Senior - BHPian

I have a query related to washing/detailing.

I have observed in my Fiesta at the lower portions of the doors the area has become very rough. I guess the daily washing is unable to get the area smoothened. This may the after effect of the monsoons, what should be done to remove the roughness of the door surface.

I am planning to go for car detailing in the month of Nov. Should I wait till then or I can get this rectified with some DIY methods. Experts please advise.
Old 13th September 2010, 15:44   #3189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I have a query related to washing/detailing.

I have observed in my Fiesta at the lower portions of the doors the area has become very rough. I guess the daily washing is unable to get the area smoothened. This may the after effect of the monsoons, what should be done to remove the roughness of the door surface.

I am planning to go for car detailing in the month of Nov. Should I wait till then or I can get this rectified with some DIY methods. Experts please advise.
By rough you mean it feels rough or do you see dirt spots hardened or tar/any other spots physically present on it. Claying should take care of paint smoothness in case you don't see anything but the paint feels rough.

Or else you may also use diesel to remove the tar/other hard dirt spots.

You may wait as long as the professional car detailing package includes claying.

Last edited by fine69 : 13th September 2010 at 15:47.
Old 13th September 2010, 15:50   #3190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

I have observed in my Fiesta at the lower portions of the doors the area has become very rough.

Should I wait till then or I can get this rectified with some DIY methods. Experts please advise.
The roughness in the lower portion of the door is due to 'TAR'. This is normal during the monsoons. You can definitely correct that yourself.

Wash/soak the portion in diesel or kerosene. Then using a cloth dipped in Kerosene/diesel rub the deposits, it should easily come off. After this, shampoo wash the area as you normally wash your car. If you prefer, you can wax the area, it will regain its full glory.
Old 13th September 2010, 16:37   #3191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
EagleOne has listed a product on eBay that would clean your AC blowers.
Old 13th September 2010, 16:46   #3192
Senior - BHPian

Got some of the stuff ordered through Borderlinx today. A California car duster, Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Mothers Wheel&Tire cleaner. Was packed and shipped in excellent condition.
Old 13th September 2010, 16:57   #3193
BHPian

Vasoo - congrats ! Would it be possible for you to share with us what were the charges you incurred ? How much were the shipping charges & did you end up paying customs duty also ?
Old 13th September 2010, 17:17   #3194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
EagleOne has listed a product on eBay that would clean your AC blowers.
Tried for searching for it but didnt come up with anything. Can you give me the search string or the link?
Old 13th September 2010, 18:09   #3195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Vasoo - congrats ! Would it be possible for you to share with us what were the charges you incurred ? How much were the shipping charges & did you end up paying customs duty also ?
Me too interested in the following details :-

-Shipping charges,
-Time taken from the date of order to delivery,
-Customs handled by borderlinx?
-Are their quotes kinda acceptable? :P

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks