Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2023, 13:17   #11686
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manudon View Post
Thanks AJ56. Leaf blower is there for contactless drying after water wash, but is not practical to use during regular days due to lack of plug points in the parking. Hence the fall back to Jopasu. Was only wondering if it's safe to remove the wax smudges left behind by the Jopasu duster with a microfibre cloth, or is it better to just leave them as is till the next wash. I prefer to remove them to make the car look shiny just for personal satisfaction, though I had rather avoid if I am doing more harm than good
Wiping wax residue with a dry or even damp towel will do immense harm to the paintwork as there is road film + many other contaminants still on it that will get dragged by the towel, as the duster can remove only light dust.

For remote application you can get a cordless leaf blower like the one from Black and Decker on Amazon. Battery powered so no need to plug in.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 22:53   #11687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Those aren’t quick detailers, Echo2 is a waterless wash (Elixir is Capro’s quick detailer) and ONR is a rinseless wash which still requires a pressure washer to pre rinse if one wants to do it safely.
Carpro Ech2o can be used as QD in ratio 1:25 (Ech2o:Water).

ONR can be used as QD in ratio 1:16 (ONR:Water).

You can find references to it on product website and other forums.

I have used both as QD.

CarPro Elixr would be super expensive. I can make 25 such bottles with Ech2o for same price as one. Also can be used as clay lube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Also, swirls are not inevitable. With proper contact wash technique and touchless rinsing, you can wash a car hundreds of times over many years with absolutely zero swirling. It’s not easy, but entirely doable if one is particular about their paint health. Cheers.
I have been cleaning my own car since 2011 and trust me swirls will happen.

The most effective and easiest way I have found over the year is
1. Clean car daily using Jopasu Duster.
2. Quick Detail using CarPro Ech2o once every week.
3. Use a Car Polish to remove swirls once every 3 months.
Old 6th November 2023, 23:40   #11688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Carpro Ech2o can be used as QD in ratio 1:25 (Ech2o:Water).

ONR can be used as QD in ratio 1:16 (ONR:Water).

You can find references to it on product website and other forums.

I have used both as QD.

CarPro Elixr would be super expensive. I can make 25 such bottles with Ech2o for same price as one. Also can be used as clay lube.
You can use anything as anything, but it doesn’t change the fact that these are waterless and rinseless washes respectively and not purpose made quick detailers.

To illustrate, I personally love using diluted foam shampoo as clay lube as you get excellent lubricity but that doesn’t make my foam shampoo a clay lube, it’s still a foam shampoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
I have been cleaning my own car since 2011 and trust me swirls will happen.

The most effective and easiest way I have found over the year is
1. Clean car daily using Jopasu Duster.
2. Quick Detail using CarPro Ech2o once every week.
3. Use a Car Polish to remove swirls once every 3 months.
Correct, if that’s how you wash I can guarantee you’ll get swirls. Dry wiping super soft paint with a duster dragging abrasive dust over it is a sure fire way to scratch it.

To add, you further abrade the paint with a mild abrasive every 3 months only to re introduce swirls again with the duster.

I have washed the same cars (hundreds at this point), from super soft Honda/Porsche to super hard Volvo clearcoats, over many years, doing thousands of foam washes on each (Gurgaon is very dusty) and trust when I say, the correct wash method will not scratch paint.

Safe washing and easy and convenient do not go hand in hand, you need a lot of time + equipment + basic knowledge to do it safely, but like I said, it’s very much possible.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 18:21   #11689
BHPian

Guys,

I have a Black colored Car which is new. I live in an apartment wherein there is no/ little provision of getting water supply for doing proper wash. I have been using Jopasu for daily dust and wash at a nearby shop once a week. I had strictly denied availing services of the local cleaner who wipes 20 cars with same cloth and bucket and kept him restricted to the old vehicle only.

Can anyone help me with the alternate option of cleaning it effectively and efficiently with WFC options (Proklear, Wavex etc.) or whatever is recommended?

Looking for your inputs the correct order of daily cleaning/ bi weekly/ weekly.
Old 21st December 2023, 22:48   #11690
BHPian

@AJ56
How can I remove water marks from.my car glass?
I have on all the glasses and I want to get rid of them.
Detailer is asking for 2k for each glass which is falling quite expensive.
Can you suggest some products that I could use myself and get them removed at home.

Regards
Manoj
Old 24th December 2023, 11:16   #11691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaseal6 View Post
Guys,

I have a Black colored Car which is new. I live in an apartment wherein there is no/ little provision of getting water supply for doing proper wash. I have been using Jopasu for daily dust and wash at a nearby shop once a week. I had strictly denied availing services of the local cleaner who wipes 20 cars with same cloth and bucket and kept him restricted to the old vehicle only.

Can anyone help me with the alternate option of cleaning it effectively and efficiently with WFC options (Proklear, Wavex etc.) or whatever is recommended?

For the weekly car wash, I provide Proklear and microfiber cloths to the cleaner who comes up to my flat to collect these and the car keys (my car is parked in basement). For the daily cleaning, I have kept a Jopasu duster in my car, but the cleaner will not obviously come up to my flat daily to collect the car keys, clean the car and give the keys back. So that is a challenge I dont have a solution to.
Old 24th December 2023, 13:20   #11692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaseal6 View Post
Guys,

I have been using Jopasu for daily dust and wash at a nearby shop once a week.

Avoid dry dusting as that will also scratch the paint over time. Use a cordless washer + blower to do a touch less rinse, this will take 10-12 mins.

Alternatively, find a carwash enroute to work and on the way back every 2-3 days stop by and have them do a contactless wash with water - shampoo - air.

If you must do a contact wash then use multiple mitts with 1 mitt per panel, pre rinse thoroughly and dry using a leaf blower.

Doing so will ensure glossy paint for many years.

Waterless washes, while effective are not safe and will scratch over time, if you must use, go with something like ONR or Carpro Echo 2 and use at least 7-8 towels for the entire car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
@AJ56
Can you suggest some products that I could use myself and get them removed at home.

Regards
Manoj
Use a purpose made mineral deposit remover like Puris D19. https://teampuris.com/project/d19-water-spot-remover/. Puris India Distributor- Ravi: +91 8750176888

Steps:

1) Clean glasses with some quick detailer/diluted car shampoo to remove loose dust.

2) Clay glasses to be treated, use your diluted shampoo as clay lube, use fresh towels.

3) Use D19 wherever you see hard water etching, apply using a small piece of foam or with a towel.

4) Wait 45 seconds and wipe away, repeat application if necessary.

5) Nuetralise surface with some water/ car shampoo. Check final results with a bright flashlight.

D19, while safe on paint and glass is acid based so wear nitrile gloves and a respirator, do not breathe in vapours and work in an open area (not in direct sunlight).

Last edited by AJ56 : 24th December 2023 at 13:27.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 00:31   #11693
BHPian

After using expensive products, some of the best Korean microfibres suggested here and spending a lot of my weekends in safely washing the car to maintain an almost swirl free finish for 3 whole months, the whole effort went in vain when two kids begging on a traffic light suddenly decided to wipe my car using some random rag, rubbing it with all the force they could apply on the bonnet. Any amount of yelling or shouting did not prevent them from continuing their vandalism. The end result is my almost swirl free black car now sports ugly heavy swirls in the area that these kids ran the rag over. My car was all dusty in the first place and this just made everything worse.
blackbandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 01:12   #11694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
After using expensive products, some of the best Korean microfibres suggested here and spending a lot of my weekends in safely washing the car to maintain an almost swirl free finish for 3 whole months, the whole effort went in vain when two kids begging on a traffic light suddenly decided to wipe my car using some random rag, rubbing it with all the force they could apply on the bonnet. Any amount of yelling or shouting did not prevent them from continuing their vandalism. The end result is my almost swirl free black car now sports ugly heavy swirls in the area that these kids ran the rag over. My car was all dusty in the first place and this just made everything worse.
I feel the pain, happened with me in Mumbai a few years ago as well, had spent hours hand polishing my soft black paint and applying a sealant only to have a beggar attack it with a dirty rag with a lot of force, tried my horn then had to step out and place myself between him and my bonnet, the only time in my life I’ve actually stepped out of my car in the middle of a grid traffic jam on a signal.

Thankfully in Gurgaon these types of beggars are very rare. If this happens again, you must stop them as the scratching can easily go through the clearcoat and end up too deep to safely machine polish to fix, resulting in a repaint and loss of factory finish. Specially on Jap and Korean makes as the paint is super soft.

Last edited by AJ56 : 1st January 2024 at 01:13.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 18:15   #11695
BHPian

Quote:
@AJ56

Regards
Manoj
Further to your advise @AJ56 I got myself the d19 and did the application.
I must say I owe you a beer. Almost 90% water marks are gone. Maybe another application and il have super clear glasses.
Worthy buy thanks to your guidance.
I would also appreciate another advise regarding upkeep of shine.
I recently got the my car which is white polished and it's become smooth and shiny. What can I use at home on a weekly or fortnightly basis to give it the same long lasting shine and wet look.
Currently I use sonax fast wax and sonax BSD.
Any other product that you would recommend that would give me that intense shine and gloss that I could use after a wash at home and do it myself.

Thanks in advance
Manoj
scorpian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 11:09   #11696
BHPian

Quote:
I must say I owe you a beer. Almost 90% water marks are gone. Maybe another application and il have super clear glasses.
Can you share the cost of D19 as I see it is not available locally or on Amazon.in?
Old 2nd January 2024, 11:21   #11697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Can you share the cost of D19 as I see it is not available locally or on Amazon.in?
I paid 1300/-.
Contact number of Ravi is mentioned in below posts by AJ56Sir.

Regards
Manoj Chandwani
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 15:06   #11698
BHPian

Quote:
Further to your advise @AJ56 I got myself the d19 and did the application.
I would also appreciate another advise regarding upkeep of shine.
I recently got the my car which is white polished and it's become smooth and shiny. What can I use at home on a weekly or fortnightly basis to give it the same long lasting shine and wet look.
Currently I use sonax fast wax and sonax BSD.
Any other product that you would recommend that would give me that intense shine and gloss that I could use after a wash at home and do it myself.

Thanks in advance
Manoj
Appreciate the kind words, hit me up if you’re in Delhi-NCR anytime, beer on me ��

You can follow up D19 with a medium cut compound like Menzerna 400 for 100% removal.

Will make a small point regarding gloss/shine on paint:

We tend to overemphasise the contribution of lsp’s (last step protection) be it waxes/sealants/coatings to gloss and overall shine. They influence maybe 5-7% (at most).

The balance 95% is from proper machine polishing to remove surface defects in the clearcoat that ensure light reflects evenly and gives the liquid wet gloss everyone likes to see in paintwork.

How glossy a car looks over time is a function of washing it safely, the less marring we inflict during the contact stage of washing, the glossier it will look as time goes on.

Safe washing involves contactless methods of rinsing and drying using a blower to eliminate any risk of towel induced swirls as paint is butter soft.

If you’re happy with the Sonax waxes, continue using. They’re not very durable though (no natural wax is), you can step up to Geyon Cancoat if you want longer term protection in a sprayable form.

Once a year you might need to use tar and ferrous removers (like Carpro TRIX) and mineral deposit remover like D19 (if you see water spots on paint). This will ensure the paint stays free of contamination that can build up over time and reduce your water beading effect from the protection applied. Note I didn’t mention clay as claying will necessarily require machine polishing after unlike the other non abrasive decon methods.

1 year is a rough guide, can be longer if your car is a weekend only or occasional use type vehicle. Can be sooner if you drive in very contaminated areas often.

Last edited by AJ56 : 2nd January 2024 at 15:08.
AJ56 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 20:50   #11699
BHPian

Hello everyone,
My one-year-old car windshield and other glass surfaces have hard water spots everywhere. I tried to remove them using concentrated car shampoo; however, I didn't have much success.

Could anyone tell me how to remove these water spots? A product link from Amazon/Flipkart is highly appreciated.
Old 28th January 2024, 01:46   #11700
BHPian

As they say, "let the experts handle it". It is true. Realised after washing my Thar few days back.

Thought it'd be better to detail the car myself without powet tools, with just sheer handwork.

Pressure washed it thoroughly, then started claying it - this is the part which caused all the issues. Tried my best to do it correctly but I guess I didn't observe the containments which stuck on the bar and rubbed against the paint.

Although these scratches are minor and not nail deep, still ruined the day.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20240128_014108.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20240128_013958.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20240128_014025.jpg

Hope it is fixable by a professional detailer.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks