Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2024, 18:31   #11716

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Hello bhpians!
I own a Black Camry 09' , it was ceramic coated in 2021.
I pressure wash it twice a month and use a jopasu duster before drives. It's only used 3-4 times a month for highway drives.
This month I parked it at a different location in direct sunlight for extended period with dust catching up on it. After getting a pressure wash I noticed a lot of white dust speckles on the paint, even after washing it doesn't seem to go. The car had new like paint gloss till now.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img20240221wa0001.jpeg
Any suggestions?
Old 21st February 2024, 21:59   #11717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
Hi, unfortunately, we are not on the same page yet when it comes to the products. Could you please help me select the products?

You suggested using Reset and Gyeon Foam for shampooing. I am considering buying only one product for the exterior cleaning and something more economical. If you could pick only ONE from each category below or suggest an alternative, that would be great:
Note: I already have Meguiar's mittens, so I don't need any suggestions there. Additionally, I plan to buy on one of Amazon and PCC.

Further questions:
1. How are we supposed to clean a bird dropping on the exterior or a food item on the interior on a non-cleaning day or while travelling? Shall we use water and rub it or there's a solution that does the job neatly?
2. How are we supposed to clean the interior glossy plastic parts, infotainment screen and the instrument cluster - plain water gently sprayed over a microfiber cloth or some solution? (IPA leaves a stain, hence the question.)
3. The materials I mentioned above are economical. I'm trying to create a second list where the products are relatively less economical. Please approve only ONE for each category below or suggest an alternative:
Quick question: Why are professional shampoos like the Meguiar's Hyper-Wash never suggested for non-professional use? It seems to have a very good foam/cleaning quality + it's economical.

Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuvuz View Post
Hello bhpians!
I own a Black Camry 09' , it was ceramic coated in 2021.

This month I parked it at a different location in direct sunlight for extended period with dust catching up on it. After getting a pressure wash I noticed a lot of white dust speckles on the paint, even after washing it doesn't seem to go.
That’s most likely paint overspray from paintwork going on nearby the parking area. Given that it’s fully cured, you’ll have to use clay followed by light machine polishing to remove. You can reapply the coating you had installed back in 2021 if you so desire.

On a sidenote, that’s a very dull looking patch indicating either a repaint or heavy swirling. Paint overspray (white dots) will not affect gloss.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 22:30   #11718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
Hi, unfortunately, we are not on the same page yet when it comes to the products. Could you please help me select the products?

You suggested using Reset and Gyeon Foam for shampooing. I am considering buying only one product for the exterior cleaning and something more economical. If you could pick only ONE from each category below or suggest an alternative, that would be great:
Note: I already have Meguiar's mittens, so I don't need any suggestions there. Additionally, I plan to buy on one of Amazon and PCC.

Further questions:
1. How are we supposed to clean a bird dropping on the exterior or a food item on the interior on a non-cleaning day or while travelling? Shall we use water and rub it or there's a solution that does the job neatly?
2. How are we supposed to clean the interior glossy plastic parts, infotainment screen and the instrument cluster - plain water gently sprayed over a microfiber cloth or some solution? (IPA leaves a stain, hence the question.)
3. The materials I mentioned above are economical. I'm trying to create a second list where the products are relatively less economical. Please approve only ONE for each category below or suggest an alternative:
Quick question: Why are professional shampoos like the Meguiar's Hyper-Wash never suggested for non-professional use? It seems to have a very good foam/cleaning quality + it's economical.

Thank you.
Microfibres: PCC 550 gsm is great for all round application, do not go with 350 gsm for paint as that’s not plush enough (it’s fine for glass though). For drying dab and avoid wiping, for wax it’s great as well, just wash it within a few hours of using for wax removal. Don’t let it dry into the towel.

Shampoo: Sonax over turtle anyday.

Waxes/sealants: Turtle ICE seal n shine is the best out of these.

1) If the bird dropping is wet, use water from a bottle or a spray to get it off, do not wipe. If it’s dried your only safe method of removal is via a pressure washer. Do not attempt to wipe off dried dropping as that will leave deep scars in the paint as it’s very abrasive. You can keep a cordless pressure washer in your boot while travelling to help in precisely these situations. All you need is a bucket of water.

2) IPA is the safest actually for wiping screens and electronics (your phone screen protector also comes with IPA wipes) it does not stain provided you’ve diluted correctly (25-30% is the norm).

If you want more lubricity, any all purpose cleaner diluted will also work well paired with a plush towel for soft glossy plastics.

For cleaning stick to 40x40 cm as the towels are easier to handle and the PCC 550 gsm will work great as mentioned above. For drying, yes CarPro Boa is great. Meguiar’s UW is also fine as a shampoo.

I’ve always suggested the best product for the job in my experience, whether it’s marketed at pros or retail buyers is not something I consider when recommending anything.

Coming to HyperWash, yes it’s cheap but it doesn’t foam very well (terrible foam quality in fact). Koch Chemie, Gyeon, CG, etc. have much better foam shampoos available. Try Koch Chemie GSF.

Professional products in certain rare cases, may require respirators (certain coatings for eg.) or a very specific application method and in those cases I can see why someone may not recommend for off the shelf use. Otherwise, feel free to use whatever you find works best for your application. Do remember the golden rule when handling any chemical, if it’s on your skin, it’s inside you - wear nitrile gloves and eye and breathing protection as advised.

Mods: kindly merge both of my posts, didn’t intend to create two.

Last edited by AJ56 : 21st February 2024 at 22:36.
AJ56 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 01:43   #11719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Thanks a lot AJ56. You have answered all my questions. Thanks a lot, I'm extremely grateful to you.

Quote:
I’ve always suggested the best product for the job in my experience, whether it’s marketed at pros or retail buyers is not something I consider when recommending anything.
I understand. With all your replies, I now have about three options for each, from the most economical to the best quality product, and I can choose and compare between them till I finally settle with one.

Thanks a lot once again.
McQueen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 02:12   #11720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1) If the bird dropping is wet, use water from a bottle or a spray to get it off, do not wipe. If it’s dried your only safe method of removal is via a pressure washer.
What do you think of this idea...

If it's dry, make it wet! I'm sure I've done the wrong thing with bird crap, especially crow, too many times for too many years. It's like trying to remove dried cement! Even if it is fresh, on the bonnet it dries quickly due to the engine heat. So soak it.

Soaking the crap is not just a case of wetting it. Most of the water runs off and the rest dries too quickly. So wet it, an then cover it with wet microfibre. Simply leave it to soak in for a short time and it will come off easily with no damaging rubbing.
Old 24th February 2024, 02:38   #11721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What do you think of this idea...

If it's dry, make it wet! I'm sure I've done the wrong thing with bird crap, especially crow, too many times for too many years. It's like trying to remove dried cement! Even if it is fresh, on the bonnet it dries quickly due to the engine heat. So soak it.

Soaking the crap is not just a case of wetting it. Most of the water runs off and the rest dries too quickly. So wet it, an then cover it with wet microfibre. Simply leave it to soak in for a short time and it will come off easily with no damaging rubbing.
I do something like that (when I'm not being lazy that is). I first spray rinseless wash on it. Then stick on a tissue and saturate it with more spray, leave it for a few minutes then pinch and lift, dispose, repeat if lots of poop is still present or finish off by a spritz and microfiber wipe.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 01:30   #11722
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried acid based shampoos for ceramic coated cars? The beading effect of ceramic coatings combined with the hot sun in the South mean you are going to have your hands full with water spots. So far only found carpro descale to be available. It has a PH of 6 and is safe to use on all coated surfaces and claims to get rid of mineral deposits.
Old 27th February 2024, 01:14   #11723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I do something like that (when I'm not being lazy that is). I first spray rinseless wash on it. Then stick on a tissue and saturate it with more spray, leave it for a few minutes then pinch and lift, dispose, repeat if lots of poop is still present or finish off by a spritz and microfiber wipe.
I just use microfibre from the start to the end: there is no need for anything else.

In particular, please do not use paper tissue. It is actually very abrasive! I learnt this lesson in the early days of being a hobby jeweller some decades ago. I had finished a silver item, and it was quite highly polished, all by hand as I didn't have a polishing machine at first. I thought I would wipe it with a tissue: big mistake! I had to redo the final polish.

Silver may be far from the hardest of metals, but I guess that it is harder than car paint!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 18:43   #11724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I just use microfibre from the start to the end: there is no need for anything else.

In particular, please do not use paper tissue. It is actually very abrasive! I learnt this lesson in the early days of being a hobby jeweller some decades ago. I had finished a silver item, and it was quite highly polished, all by hand as I didn't have a polishing machine at first. I thought I would wipe it with a tissue: big mistake! I had to redo the final polish.

Silver may be far from the hardest of metals, but I guess that it is harder than car paint!
I know. As such though the tissue is soaked in QD and that area is getting slightly damage anyway from the grit and acid in the poo. Also less contamination of the microfiber is my logic behind this in terms of having to wash the microfiber immediately or after a couple of uses and also grit staying trapped in the fibres.
Old 1st March 2024, 19:48   #11725
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Need help.

I am seeing lots of rust like below on chrome strips & Suzuki logo on alloys in my year old XL6 /. Service center have cleaned them once and its back to shiny but I see this coming back in 2 weeks time again. I understand this is happening due to NCR hard water and cannot be avoided but is there a preventive measure that we can take or how can we remove them safely without affecting nearby paint.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I am worried as car cleaning guy cleans my car only when i ask him which is once in 2-3 weeks.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img20240131wa0004.jpg
Old 1st March 2024, 21:50   #11726
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I know. As such though the tissue is soaked in QD and that area is getting slightly damage anyway from the grit and acid in the poo.
When soaked+wet cloth, it is not rubbed at all. In fact one could rinse it off.

Quote:
Also less contamination of the microfiber is my logic behind this in terms of having to wash the microfiber immediately or after a couple of uses and also grit staying trapped in the fibres.
Never mind washing the microfibre. Your whole purpose in using it is to do less harm to your paint. Wash it every pooday ... but don't use paper. Even on my swirled, scarred car I won't!

AJ56, is there any non-wood-fibre disposable tissue that one could safely use?
Old 12th March 2024, 15:11   #11727
BHPian

Hey everyone, we recently welcomed a shiny new XUV700 in Silver! I am considering giving it a protective coating. Specifically looking for top-notch Ceramic or Graphene coating services in the western part of Pune, including areas like Baner, Balewadi, Aundh, Kothrud, Wakad, etc.

Requesting fellow bhpians to share their experiences, recommendations, or any advice on this matter. Your insights on the quality of service, durability, cost-effectiveness, and any other relevant information would be helpful to make an informed decision.
Old 12th March 2024, 20:43   #11728
BHPian

Mine is a month old XUV700 with full body PPF (XPEL) done. I was following the instructions given by the PPF installer.
  • Wash vehicle only once in 15 days or 1 week
  • Never Use pressure wash, rinse the vehicle with water (bucket or pipe)
  • Apply a good PH neutral Shampoo (ShineXpro in this case applied through IK Foam 2.0)
  • Wash with either Mitt or MF cloth which is already soaked in same shampoo water
  • Rinse the vehicle again
  • Dry the vehicle using separate MF clots for 1) Roof, Windshield & Bonnet, 2) Body Panels and 3) Glasses and Interiors
  • Rest of the days dust with Jopasu dsuter

Due to scarcity of water faced in Bangalore and to consume less water, i am planning to Rinseless wash.

Couple of questions:
1) Is Rinseless wash (ONR, UWW , Proklear etc …) safe on PPF?
2) Should i stick to base variant such as Rinse and Shine, or can use solvents having Wax
3) While dry wiping the car, not to leave any streaks, is there a good dry agent that can be suggested?

Last edited by NaveenKD : 12th March 2024 at 20:44.
Old 13th March 2024, 00:40   #11729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapien View Post
Hey everyone, we recently welcomed a shiny new XUV700 in Silver! I am considering giving it a protective coating. Specifically looking for top-notch Ceramic or Graphene coating services in the western part of Pune
After researching, here are some competitive quotes for Ceramic coating on a Silver XUV700:

1. **Aquatint Baner**:
- Product Used: Labocosmetica
- ₹16,000 for 1-year warranty
- ₹20,000 for 2-year warranty
- Coverage: Painted surfaces
- Not covered: Glass surfaces, alloys, or plastic trims

2. **Carspa Baner**:
- Product Used: CrystalShield Trinity
- ₹25,000 for 3-year warranty
- Coverage: Painted surfaces, all glass surfaces.
- Not covered: Alloys, or plastic trims

3. **3M Pashan**:
- Product Used: 3M
- ₹28,800 for 1-year warranty + 2 top-ups within 180 days (2-year life)
- Coverage: Painted surfaces, glass, alloys, or plastic trims

PS : In addition to product, how its applied is very critical in detailing, hence seeking insights on the best workmanship among these options. 3M is a trusted name overall, and Aquatint has good reviews on team-bhp. And according to a detailer friend from Indore, Carspa uses the best products, comparatively, it seems to offer a good deal as mentioned above. I would appreciate any thoughts on workmanship from those who have experienced these services.
sapien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 03:01   #11730
BHPian

Hey folks!

I owned a Grand i10 from 2014 which I sold off recently. For that car, I had a society car cleaner who would clean it daily. He did a very good job and I wasn't much worried about swirl marks or anything as I never noticed it. Am sure there were many but being a silver car, maybe they weren't visible that easily.

Now I am getting a new Dual Tone Creta (black+white). While going through this forum, it seems I shouldn't wash my car daily? But I also have an open car parking and most of the cars accumulate dust if not cleaned daily.

Would love your suggestions on how to take care of a new car so that it stays brand new as much as possible?
  1. How vital is ceramic coating? Does it help? PPF seems very expensive compared to Ceramic.
  2. Am thinking of getting a Jopasu duster brush. I always used it for my previous car and was very satisfied.
  3. Should I ask my car cleaner guy to wash only once or twice a week? (We do have hard water in our society).
  4. Am also thinking of giving him micro fibre clothes so that he only uses that to clean my car. Though I don't expect him to use that always :(
  5. Obviously thinking of getting a premium creta car cover. Any recommendations? But I am sure there will be a time when am just too lazy to put it on every time I park the car.
  6. Any other accessories or brushes I should get?

Any other recommendation is really appreciated. Looking forward to your replies.

Also, here is a pic of my old car and how it looked after a clean/wash everyday. P.S.: Ignore the hole in the front bumper.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-temp.png

Thank you.

Sumeet

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks