Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2022, 11:56   #11476
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Experts,

What's the best solution available to clean the ceramic coated alloys from the brake dust? Is there a simple spray - wait- wipe product available, request to kindly share.
Old 11th July 2022, 12:03   #11477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Experts,

What's the best solution available to clean the ceramic coated alloys from the brake dust? Is there a simple spray - wait- wipe product available, request to kindly share.
Best is to use Carpro IronX on them. It will remove the brake dust .Just make sure you follow the instructions on the bottle and you should be good.I have been using something even stronger and the coating seems to be still holding up. Since the alloys face most of the contaminants in the environment i am mentally prepared that the coating will wear off sooner as compared to the one on the paint.
Artyom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 12:27   #11478
BRV
BHPian

Have a problem with my car seats. Last year, had not used the car for more than a month due to lockdown and had issues with fungus on seat covers (also on parcel tray, neck rest, steering wheel, gear knob cover) Thought because it rainy season and no sun might have caused. Cleaned with soft towel along with Dettol.

This year again it repeated however, this time fungus appeared within a week of not using the car. Yes its rainy season and hardly we get sunlight.

Few Details:
Open parking under tree
Seat covers are 4.5 years old (art leather and fabric combination)

Open for ideas on to how to get rid of it. Am concerned that this fungus might also get into aircon so a precaution, cleaned again with Dettol and switched on the ac with full blast in hot mode for half an hour
Attached Images

BRV is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 13:05   #11479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRV View Post
Open for ideas on to how to get rid of it. Am concerned that this fungus might also get into aircon so a precaution, cleaned again with Dettol and switched on the ac with full blast in hot mode for half an hour
Few suggestions are as follows:-

1.Purchase "3M Anti-Germ Foaming Car Interior Cleaner" from any 3m center or amazon. It acts as a cleaner for the car interiors including seats . This should get rid of any bacteria.

2. For the AC get the 3M AC treatment from 3m. I am not sure how effective it is. Maybe others can pitch in but it should remove any bacteria present within the ducts.

3. Once you clean the interiors try to park the vehicle in sunlight with windows rolled down a little bit so that the smell can dissipate.Do that for a couple of days to remove traces of any moisture within the cabin.

4.Please use the interior cleaner throughout the vehicle (Plastics trims etc.) for a thorough cleaning so that the chances of fungus or bacteria growing become minimal.The smell of the product is overwhelming so it will take a few days before which the car smells neutral.
Artyom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 14:53   #11480
BRV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
Few suggestions are as follows:-
4.Please use the interior cleaner throughout the vehicle (Plastics trims etc.) for a thorough cleaning so that the chances of fungus or bacteria growing become minimal.The smell of the product is overwhelming so it will take a few days before which the car smells neutral.
Last October went to a professional detailer for thorough interior cleaning including anti germ, ac disinfectant. Didn't had an issue after that. Now that its repeating, want to understand how to get rid of this.

Quote:
Once you clean the interiors try to park the vehicle in sunlight with windows rolled down a little bit so that the smell can dissipate.Do that for a couple of days to remove traces of any moisture within the cabin.
As you know in Bengaluru Sunlight is scarce with the current rains and may be for another 2-3 months. Any other alternatives?
Old 11th July 2022, 21:30   #11481

Quote:
Have a problem with my car seats. Last year, had not used the car for more than a month due to lockdown and had issues with fungus on seat covers (also on parcel tray, neck rest, steering wheel, gear knob cover) Thought because it rainy season and no sun might have caused. Cleaned with soft towel along with Dettol.

This year again it repeated however, this time fungus appeared within a week of not using the car. Yes its rainy season and hardly we get sunlight.

Few Details:
Open parking under tree

Fungus would actually grow better in hot and humid environment.
Wipe down all surfaces with disinfectant, run the ac to dry out the interiors then place moisture absorbers(not silica gel packets) you can get on Amazon in the car
Mumbgamer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 17:22   #11482
BHPian

Quote:
As you know in Bengaluru Sunlight is scarce with the current rains and may be for another 2-3 months. Any other alternatives?
Ya that is an issue. I think all you can do is in absence of sunlight is do regular cleaning and keeping the windows open a little bit for the air to pass through.
Artyom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 17:41   #11483
BHPian

Quote:

Few Details:
Open parking under tree

Hello brother,
Firstly I would like to add that dry weather with sunshine is your best friend against the fungus.

Secondly, running the car's AC to dry the interiors is of no help, because opening doors allows moist air to enter the car and get absorbed by the seats again, which we cannot stop.

Thirdly, get rid of those seat covers if possible, because once the fungus begin to grow it's hard to kill it. I use dark coloured thick towels on the seats fastened by elastic straps and i wash them every month, working good for the past 5 years.

Fourthly, dettol is of no use against fungus, use White Vinegar. Take a clean rag and dip it in 100% white vinegar, then wring-dry it and rub hardly the areas where fungus has grown, again dip it in white vinegar wring it and rub the affected areas, then dry them out in the sun with all doors open for atleast 3-4 hours. I did the same and now have almost killed 90% of the fungus inside my car in two years.

The best advice I would give is to replace the covers where fungus has grown, because you cannot kill it 100%. You can for a few dry months supress it but it would regrown once it's cloudy and raining for weeks.

My last advice would to BAN good and drinks inside the car, And try to avoid ferrying kids who have had their meals full up to their brim/throat, because fungus inside my car started due to vomit of kids.

I pray sunny days for you so that you can dry out all keeping the doors and dicky open.

Regards.

Last edited by Sushil Pingua : 12th July 2022 at 17:49.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 18:08   #11484
BRV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil Pingua View Post
Hello brother,

Thirdly, get rid of those seat covers if possible, because once the fungus begin to grow it's hard to kill it. I use dark coloured thick towels on the seats fastened by elastic straps and i wash them every month, working good for the past 5 years.

Fourthly, dettol is of no use against fungus, use White Vinegar. Take a clean rag and dip it in 100% white vinegar, then wring-dry it and rub hardly the areas where fungus has grown, again dip it in white vinegar wring it and rub the affected areas, then dry them out in the sun with all doors open for atleast 3-4 hours. I did the same and now have almost killed 90% of the fungus inside my car in two years.

Regards.
Thanks a lot Sushil. Now will remove those covers and go for a full interior cleanup.

Quote:
My last advice would to BAN good and drinks inside the car, And try to avoid ferrying kids who have had their meals full up to their brim/throat, because fungus inside my car started due to vomit of kids.
Understood the real problem. My friend borrowed the car for an emergency to hospital for his kid and she vomited in the car.

Quote:
The best advice I would give is to replace the covers where fungus has grown, because you cannot kill it 100%. You can for a few dry months supress it but it would regrown once it's cloudy and raining for weeks.
I will enjoy the car without covers now. Will wait till the monsoon is over and will remove them.
BRV is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 19:26   #11485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DhinaStark94 View Post
Hi amvj,

Im also having an FZ v3 gloss black and in also interested in keeping the engine paint in a black. Did you find any solutions! There are several videos in YT recommending different type of polishes, but i haven't tried anything. Have you tried anything!?
Hi

I am yet to find the products for engine and silencer
There are not much products for painted Engine and silencer, but plenty available for chrome silencer etc.

Even google search does not reveal much. In case if you come across anything please let me know.

Edit: May be this can be applied. Need to check more.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-00d6f950d2d5457ab81d28a6ca627a94.jpeg

Last edited by amvj : 12th July 2022 at 19:41.
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 16:58   #11486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I did a quick search, and only saw stuff about fabrics, leather etc.

Has anyone refurbished seats for comfort, which I imagine involves renewing the layer between the springs and the cover at least?

My Polo seats seem to have become rather hard.
My Ertiga's seats had sunk in a bit too and enquired about redoing the seats like they do for bike seats(sticking new foam, cutting it to shape it etc) but didn't find anyone to do it for car seats.

Found a upholster who said he would add foam under the original cushion for 600rs. Adding foam under the cover but above the original foam would ruin its shape and the original seat cover would not fit. So they lifted up the original foam and put two pieces of new foam between the old foam and the spings of the seat frame.

Honestly pretty simple affair and shouldn't have cost even ₹600. Remove the seat, pull the hooks for the seat cover, lift up the cover and foam(it was not glued anywhere from what i could see), add the sheets of foam and reverse the process.

This was the type of foam he used
Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 1029
Size:  13.4 KB

It did raise the seat height and made it firmer but it has a bulge in the center now. Hoping it will settle down.

You could get this done or try sourcing a replacement oem cushion from VW.
Mumbgamer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 08:57   #11487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I did a quick search, and only saw stuff about fabrics, leather etc.

Has anyone refurbished seats for comfort, which I imagine involves renewing the layer between the springs and the cover at least?

My Polo seats seem to have become rather hard.
I did the same with Koyas in Coimbatore.
They are really good at this with crazy good turn around times and quality.
Highly recommended.

Just have a basic idea/photos in mind or discuss it with them over phone before you proceed, otherwise you'll be overwhelmed by the choices.

I would suggest going in for a GTi kind of asthetics.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20180329_175343.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20180329_095845.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20180329_191205.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Experts,

If the ceramic coating still remains on the alloy wheels then a basic pressure washing or even a wash with pipe should be more than enough to remove the brake dust.
You can use a pH neutral shampoo like or a multipurpose cleaner to agitaite it a little.

Otherwise use a wheel cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel@makrand View Post
Hello BHPians!

Can you suggest some simple yet effective car detailing products that can be used by owners themselves.

Thanks in advance
Following products can be used to maintain a car

Car Shampoo
Wheel cleaner
Multi purpose APC for the interiors
Glass cleaner
Car polish for scratch removal
Ceramic sealant for maintaing the shine of the paint and protection
Tyre shine for keeping those keeping the rubber looking black

Last edited by johannskaria : 14th July 2022 at 09:14.
johannskaria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 12:50   #11488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachhaMan10 View Post
Hello Folks,

I am waiting for my XUV 700 Midnight Black (Dark blue but looks like black) to be delivered in a week

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5340077 (A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide) Thanks @daretodream for this.

All I need to understand is, Can I blindly use the same routine for XUV700 midnight black and its white interior? Are there any other recommendations for me.
Please share your feedback!
Yes you can, but even better would be using a touchless method with a pressure washer - foam cannon - air blower. Never wipe your paint dry after washing it if you want perfect swirl free paint. If there are drips post using the air blower, take a plush 600 gsm+ towel and dab gently to dry. If the car isn’t very dirty you can even get away with water - air blower, no shampoo needed, specially on a coated car.

Coming to protection, take it to a detailer for single step polishing (new cars don’t need anything more). Will be under 10k in most cases, now buy your preferred diy ceramic coating and apply it (see how to on YouTube), I’d recommend Carpro UK 3.0. Great for beginners.
Old 1st August 2022, 12:09   #11489
BHPian

Hi,

Any recommendations on products for cleaning & maintaining beige leather seats of a Skoda?

Use a cleaner followed by a conditioner is what I have in mind. Its the choice of suitable products that I'm stuck with. TIA
Old 1st August 2022, 13:24   #11490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Hi,

Any recommendations on products for cleaning & maintaining beige leather seats of a Skoda?

Use a cleaner followed by a conditioner is what I have in mind. Its the choice of suitable products that I'm stuck with. TIA
Only Olive Oil, & make a habit of not rolling down the windows much instead use the a/c Or blower for fresh air. This is what I do and the interiors of my 5 years old BRV are brand new.

Secondly, dust the floor of the car atleast every month with the use of a vaccum cleaner. Never ever use air blower as used by some service centres, they just move the dust inside the car by kicking it up which settles all over the interiors.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks