Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2013, 13:03   #7456
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Hi,

Request information regarding availability of duragloss products in India specifically bangalore or online
Interested in DG111 and AquaWax, bangalore BHPers please share if you know where to obtain the above . DG111 i know Sanjay has @bringingthebest but looked too expensive at his site, its just 8 USD in amazon

Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 19:41   #7457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrygamer
Hi,

Request information regarding availability of duragloss products in India specifically bangalore or online
Interested in DG111 and AquaWax, bangalore BHPers please share if you know where to obtain the above . DG111 i know Sanjay has @bringingthebest but looked too expensive at his site, its just 8 USD in amazon

Thanks
Try importing it and you will find out that it costs more to ship it to India and there is a 30% duty as well. Sanjay's prices are fine. The 16 OZ bottle of DG Sealant will do a hatchback at least 5 times. It lasts 3 months easily so not expensive at all. DG105 is my favorite sealant till date, and I have used some of the most popular sealants in US and UK.
Old 7th June 2013, 01:39   #7458
BHPian

So three days back, I did a wash on my car to remove all the mud and muck from all the puddles accumulated over the past week due to Bangalore rains.

My other intention of this test was to see how previously applied P.E.R.L would stand up to a pressure wash. It had been applied on all my plastic trim at 1:3 dilution and in three coats - a thick base coat and two thinner top coats.

So, used Hyperwash which is my usual wash shampoo to foam the car and then pressure wash it down. After drying the car this is what I saw -

Name:  ForumRunner_20130607_012352.png
Views: 1552
Size:  408.7 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130607_012454.png
Views: 1535
Size:  438.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130607_012627.png
Views: 1519
Size:  447.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130607_012802.png
Views: 1503
Size:  440.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130607_012821.png
Views: 1549
Size:  526.5 KB

The last picture of my engine bay that has been detailed in the month of March using hyperdresser and still going strong.

Frankly, HyperDresser is far more durable than P.E.R.L - atleast it lasts for a month on my tyres including frequent weekly washes . I top it up monthly with 1:4 dilutions.

However Hyperdresser cannot do what P.E.R.L did to my plastic trim and that is restore it to its original blackness. But P.E.R.L fails in durability with pressure washing and this was using medium pressure. Havent tried it under direct rainfall as most of my driving was only when the rains would stop.

I shall continue to use hyperdresser on the tyres and engine bay and perhaps this shall remain as my goto dresser.

Ive come to the conclusion that P.E.R.L will continue to be used only on my plastic trims but less frequently as its like an expensive evening dress. When its on the trim its amazing but isnt durable. My search for that perfect trim restorer still continues...
Parthasarathig is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 13:09   #7459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
So three days back, I did a wash on my car to remove all the mud and muck from all the puddles accumulated over the past week due to Bangalore rains.

My other intention of this test was to see how previously applied P.E.R.L would stand up to a pressure wash. It had been applied on all my plastic trim at 1:3 dilution and in three coats - a thick base coat and two thinner top coats.

So, used Hyperwash which is my usual wash shampoo to foam the car and then pressure wash it down. After drying the car this is what I saw -

The last picture of my engine bay that has been detailed in the month of March using hyperdresser and still going strong.

Frankly, HyperDresser is far more durable than P.E.R.L - atleast it lasts for a month on my tyres including frequent weekly washes . I top it up monthly with 1:4 dilutions.

However Hyperdresser cannot do what P.E.R.L did to my plastic trim and that is restore it to its original blackness. But P.E.R.L fails in durability with pressure washing and this was using medium pressure. Havent tried it under direct rainfall as most of my driving was only when the rains would stop.

I shall continue to use hyperdresser on the tyres and engine bay and perhaps this shall remain as my goto dresser.

Ive come to the conclusion that P.E.R.L will continue to be used only on my plastic trims but less frequently as its like an expensive evening dress. When its on the trim its amazing but isnt durable. My search for that perfect trim restorer still continues...
Very valid observation partha. I had also applied PERL once. And it got washed off in a similar fashion. Indian conditions are very unforgiving on these products i believe. Be it sealant or dresser! But i have observed Megs Ultimate protectant to last longer than Perl!
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 13:32   #7460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

Very valid observation partha. I had also applied PERL once. And it got washed off in a similar fashion. Indian conditions are very unforgiving on these products i believe. Be it sealant or dresser! But i have observed Megs Ultimate protectant to last longer than Perl!
Yes absolutely agree with you on that. The products work well in the pollution free dirt free environments of the other countries. Slowly Im loving the Meguiars line of products as not only they are vfm but they work. Hyperdresser has lasted me long on the tyres even with the muddy roads, after a wash the tyre looks just freshly dressed. But I tend to top it up every month mainly because this Hyperdresser doesnt seem to get over from my stock lol.

I had bought only 250ml of it from Mr. Nirmal, and only one 500ml (1:4) bottle has been used up with my forceful usage. Same is going to be the story with the glass cleaner and ONR. Though Ive now devised a way to use up the ONR more quickly

However I have been happy with my sealant. Had applied it in March and its still going strong - as in there is very little water left on the doors and vertical panels and the sliding bonnet after a wash which eases up the drying process. And this is with a pressure washer from the past month and the sealants and collinite havent budged. Had applied sealant and collinite separately on different panels of my car. The bonnet had 50/50 of them and both sides bead well.

Does Meguiars Ultimate protectant restore faded trim? Nothing feeds the plastic as well as P.E.R.L but then that is all it does.

Another underrated meguiars product is the Quick interior detailer. Have read good reviews from many experts abroad. Looking to try it out soon. Although APC works just fine.
Old 7th June 2013, 13:37   #7461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes absolutely agree with you on that. The products work well in the pollution free dirt free environments of the other countries. Slowly Im loving the Meguiars line of products as not only they are vfm but they work. Hyperdresser has lasted me long on the tyres even with the muddy roads, after a wash the tyre looks just freshly dressed. But I tend to top it up every month mainly because this Hyperdresser doesnt seem to get over from my stock lol.

I had bought only 250ml of it from Mr. Nirmal, and only one 500ml (1:4) bottle has been used up with my forceful usage. Same is going to be the story with the glass cleaner and ONR. Though Ive now devised a way to use up the ONR more quickly

However I have been happy with my sealant. Had applied it in March and its still going strong - as in there is very little water left on the doors and vertical panels and the sliding bonnet after a wash which eases up the drying process. And this is with a pressure washer from the past month and the sealants and collinite havent budged. Had applied sealant and collinite separately on different panels of my car. The bonnet had 50/50 of them and both sides bead well.

Does Meguiars Ultimate protectant restore faded trim? Nothing feeds the plastic as well as P.E.R.L but then that is all it does.

Another underrated meguiars product is the Quick interior detailer. Have read good reviews from many experts abroad. Looking to try it out soon. Although APC works just fine.

Nothing can 'restore' a faded /whitened trim. Its only how long can the product hide it. And i found the megs one to be better.Anyway, i like matt finish products compared to glossy ones. So PERL was not to my taste anyway
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 13:43   #7462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

Nothing can 'restore' a faded /whitened trim. Its only how long can the product hide it. And i found the megs one to be better.Anyway, i like matt finish products compared to glossy ones. So PERL was not to my taste anyway
The other alternatives are:
1. Cquartz Dlux which is a coating for the trim and should last long
2. Painting the panels with forever black.
3. Plasti-dip which can be easily peeled off. I think someone had posted a thread about it a few weeks back. That will be my ultimate option as the car's trim looks horrible as you can see in the pictures.

Yes neither do I like glossy finishes and therefore use the Hyperdresser at 1:4 for that matte look. But yes P.E.R.L borders more towards the glossy side thus I prefer to use it only for my trim.
Old 7th June 2013, 20:20   #7463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post

answeres in bold above
Hello

Dlux i think Sunnyboi must be getting. Will try to see his results first.

So basically nothing works. The only feasible option PlastiDip I shall try once i get free next month. Sourcing maybe difficult depending on the availability in Bangalore. But from the various projects that I saw regarding PlastiDip, it gives a nice healthy color to the trim as long as you dont peel it off.

I wish I had protected my cars trim from the first day rather than facing all this hassle now. :(
Old 10th June 2013, 11:33   #7464
BHPian

A quick question to the more experienced ones.

I have a Pearl Supreme White Duster; usually after the using california duster, Sonax shampoo or ONR wash and drying, I do a Meguiar quick detailing and then give a Turtle paste wax manually and buff it. It is pretty good. However a couple of issues/questions. The turtle wax what I have is light green in color; the edges, particularly where there is PPF done, it does leave light green traces. So I was hoping that a white color carnauba wax will be better, no? Any suggestions? Particularly for getting a better shine.

Secondly as my car is generally parked in basement, the wax effect should last for 4, 6 weeks minimum, no? Or there is a better brand/product/process I should try out.

Appreciate all ideas. Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 12:55   #7465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravee_nk View Post
A quick question to the more experienced ones.

I have a Pearl Supreme White Duster; usually Particularly for getting a better shine.

Appreciate all ideas. Thanks
Hi there

Would suggest you to ditch the turtle wax and get a bottle of Collinite 845. It will last you a long time especially in Indian conditions. Its been 4 months since I applied it on my car and continues to bead just like Day 1. If you drive it reg

Onr itself can be diluted to a QD ratio so you can use that both as car wash and shampoo.

Since your car is relatively new, would suggest you get a clay bar. BHPian notorious sells a claybar at very good rates. You can contact him for that.

Once you have the claybar, utilise the Meguiars Quik Detailer as your clay lube. Although you can use ONR also as clay lube. Megs is ready to use and this will make it easy for you as it did for me when I tried it first time.

1. Give the car a thorough wash with a normal car shampoo not the Sonax gloss one. This is is to prevent any unwanted chemicals to be on the paint - as cleaner the paint surface, the better the wax will bond.

2. Dry the car using microfiber towels - here the waffle weave towels come In handy as they absorb more water than the normal microfiber towels. For a car like duster you may need two of these towels.

3. Now take the clay bar and make it into putty as flat as possible.

4. Now using Meguiars Quik Detailer(QD) spray it on the paint surface and use the clay bar on that area till the clay starts to glide smoothly whic would mean that surface is now contaminant free. Keep applying the QD if the clay bar keeps sticking. Wipe with a microfiber towel once done. Fold the clay to reveal a cleaner side and reuse in the same way over the car.

5. After you have clayed the whole car down, you will feel the paint has become relatively smoother than earlier.

6. Now time to apply wax. Use collinite a few drops on the foam applicator pad and spread it on the pad to prime it. Now add a few more drops and then start applying it over the car panel by panel. Let it haze and then wipe it off with a fresh microfiber buffing towel. Dont let the collinite sit for too.long as then it gets tough to remove.

Id suggest to take your time to do the entire car. Maybe you can clay and wax one panel per day so as to prevent tiring yourself out, as frankly its a workout.

7. Stand back and enjoy the shine

8. Maintenance - use jopasu duster everyday to remove light dust. And then use ONR for rinseless washing. If the car is exceptionally dirty, its better to wash the car with ONR as car shampoo with the 2 bucket method.

9. Repeat the same after a few months to keep your car looking brand new

P.s the shine will come from a flawless paint surface free from swirls. The wax or sealant will only add depth and .protection to.the shine. These arent my words, its what Mike Phillips preaches.

P.P.S the wax residue near the ppf.is a normal thing. It happens at the edges of a masking tape too. You just need to wipe it thoroughly with a microfiber towel.

There are also many boutique products that you can use, but I suggested collinite as its the simplest procedure to.follow. later on you can progress to other costlier stuff and complicated methods in your pursuit of.that perfect shine.

Dont forget to post up final pictures after the process.

Cheers.
Parthasarathig is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 13:37   #7466
BHPian

Quote:
Hi there

Dont forget to post up final pictures after the process.

Cheers.
Thank you very much indeed for such a detailed reply! Yes, I am getting supply of drying towels, waffle weave and MF. I have to get the clay bar and collinite 845. Would you know how much each of these will cost locally? I wanted to junk the Turtle wax but as I had no substitute I went ahead used it. I had got my Duster treated with Sealant by 3M HSR layout couple of months ago and I am just trying to keep it up. Thanks again! Cheers

Last edited by Eddy : 10th June 2013 at 21:53. Reason: Please do not quote a long post. It hampers readability for our mobile users. Thanks
Waxeloquent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 14:28   #7467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravee_nk View Post

Thank you very much indeed for such a detailed reply! Yes, I am getting supply of drying towels, waffle weave and MF. I have to get the clay bar and collinite 845. Would you know how much each of these will cost locally? I wanted to junk the Turtle wax but as I had no substitute I went ahead used it. I had got my Duster treated with Sealant by 3M HSR layout couple of months ago and I am just trying to keep it up. Thanks again! Cheers
Oh you're in BLR itself. Great. I think 3m HSR itself will have the towels in stock. Mr. Sidhu might be able to help you out. They usually keep the meguiars drying towel and supreme shine buffing towels if Im not wrong. Great that its already treated. So you wont have to worry about swirls if you maintain properly.

You may want to get these items. Here are the people you can get from

1. a. Meguiars supreme shine buffing towels x 3 although 2 should be sufficient. It costs 297 a piece if im not wrong.
. b. 2x Meguiars water magnet towel as the duster is a big car and one towel will get overloaded pretty easily. 750rs each
c. Meguiars microfiber wash mitt 500rs iirc.

All this can be got from Mr. Sidhus store itself.

3. Collinite and applicator pads can be bought from Mr. Nirmal. +919916120561.

I think he is even stocking the clay from NOTORIOUS. So you can get that also from
him..he has Mothers clay kit also in stock.

Also suggest you to get the meguiars glass cleaner concentrate. Excellent product if paired with the sonax towels. You can get it from Mr. Nirmal itself.

Also he has 3m blue towels at very good prices.

He will be able to explain to you even further more as he is far more experienced in this detailing than I am.

Do ask him to clearly explain how to use each of.the products for the best results. And while you are at it, why not get some APC as well. Will help to clean the dirty bits more easily.

Keep it shining.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 14:41   #7468
BHPian

I was just planning to do a detailing session when the Mumbai monsoons struck this weekend.

Is there any point applying Megs Ultimate Polish + Collinite 845 + Megs Quik Wax now? The rains are really pouring down.. I couldn't hear myself think in the car due to the roof-pounding din.
Old 10th June 2013, 14:57   #7469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
I was just planning to do a detailing session when the Mumbai monsoons struck this weekend.

Is there any point applying Megs Ultimate Polish + Collinite 845 + Megs Quik Wax now? The rains are really pouring down.. I couldn't hear myself think in the car due to the roof-pounding din.
Its just going to be a waste of product. Atleast Ultimate polish. Maybe you can do that later.

For now you can just apply quik wax so that dirt from the roads doesnt bond much to the surface. But youd need to do that frequently as will only last a few days.

If you have a closed garage then you can collinite the car after washing and drying it. Wait a day to let it cure and then take it out. This would last a bit longer. Than the quik wax.

Ive driven out in the rain even after 6 hours of applying sealant and collinite and not faced any issues. Still going strong.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 18:53   #7470
BHPian

For some very strange reason, Collinite gets a lot of attention here. It's not a bad product but is quite dated.

Can I ask if most of you tried other sealants and came back to Collinite or you never ventured too far from Collinite?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks