Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2013, 10:26   #7486
BANNED

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Contact Notorious on this forum. He should be able to help you as he is a leading detailer in Delhi.
3M is a waste of money as their products are outdated and you can get so much better for the same price or even less.
Why 3M is a waste of money ? Their products are horribly overpriced because of their brand recall in the market. But I've always felt that it was not that bad.

Did you meant about the effectiveness of 3M services like underbody coating/polishing rtc
Old 15th June 2013, 10:56   #7487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Why 3M is a waste of money ? Their products are horribly overpriced because of their brand recall in the market. But I've always felt that it was not that bad.

Did you meant about the effectiveness of 3M services like underbody coating/polishing rtc
The 3m products sold or used by 3m Carcare in India are similar or worse than waxpol. They are nowhere close to the same named products sold in the US. Tje prices they charge doea not justify what you get.

As said by pedaltothefloor there are proper detailers in the country, Nirmal, NOTORIOUS, UD who do detailing to the D. I.e. Proper technique, products, understanding and knowledge. 3m carcare is mostly businessmen setting up shop to earn profit in a new line of business. And it sells due to the 3M brand name.
Old 17th June 2013, 01:51   #7488
BHPian

Where can I buy meguiars clay kit in delhi? or any other good option?
Old 17th June 2013, 07:22   #7489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Meguiars products are available with Steam n Shine, next to Arjangarh Metro Station on MG Road.
Old 17th June 2013, 08:55   #7490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post

It is not available here officially !
Old 18th June 2013, 16:51   #7491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
My other intention of this test was to see how previously applied P.E.R.L would stand up to a pressure wash. It had been applied on all my plastic trim at 1:3 dilution and in three coats - a thick base coat and two thinner top coats.
Hi Partha,

What would be your recommendation for keeping the plastic trim in original condition.

I recently changed the front & back fenders on my Santro, & looking for an option to keep it as new as possible, for as long as possible.

Thnks!
Old 18th June 2013, 20:47   #7492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar_gautam View Post

Hi Partha,

What would be your recommendation for keeping the plastic trim in original condition.

I recently changed the front & back fenders on my Santro, & looking for an option to keep it as new as possible, for as long as possible.

Thnks!
Hi there

There are two options for you :-

1. A semi permanent coating like Carpro DLUX which will stay on for a long time.

2. The usual dressings like Meguiars Hyperdresser and CarPro PERL.

After my initial impressions with PERL, I read up that PERL works best on new trim that is not faded and hence the reason why it failed on my car. And will last longer irrespective of pressure washing.

Since its new plastic you would be better off with either PERL or Meguiar HyperDresser. Just remember to re-coat the trims as soon as you notice the previous coating is gone. Or better to recoat every 2-3 weeks if its a daily driven car.

Some people even go as far as to OptiCoat the trims which gives it a long term protection, but Im not sure if someone would be willing to sell such little amount of OptiCoat.

As for my car, Ive re-applied PERL. WHY?? Because I love the look it gives to my faded plastic no matter how temporary it maybe.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 18th June 2013 at 20:51.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 02:01   #7493
BHPian

Hello...Is it a good time for detailing the exteriors during the monsoons? Or should I wait for the monsoons to get over and then go for the detailing?
Old 19th June 2013, 02:34   #7494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Hello...Is it a good time for detailing the exteriors during the monsoons? Or should I wait for the monsoons to get over and then go for the detailing?
Waiting for the monsoons will be a better idea. Unless, you dont mind repeating your efforts.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 10:11   #7495
BHPian

Quote:
If you've got a covered space to do your detailing then it shouldnt matter much. But of course you've to look out for a sunny day. Me too waiting for a dry spell for my detailing work.
surd_biker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 11:27   #7496

Quote:
Detailing your car should be more of a preventive and protective maintenance for your car and not just an aesthetic one.

Don't want to be rude but we do bathe everyday don't we?

Get a simple wax coating done. Also the rainy season is more of a reason to pressure wash your car regularly to get the muck removed from underneath the car which leads to corrosion. The same for the interiors to prevent any fungus build up for the insides.
Old 19th June 2013, 12:53   #7497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

Hi there

There are two options for you :-

1. A semi permanent coating like Carpro DLUX which will stay on for a long time.

2. The usual dressings like Meguiars Hyperdresser and CarPro PERL.
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply!

Don't want to go for a permanent coating so DLUX is out.

Between the two, PERL & Hyperdresser which one would you recommend?

Car is used for daily commute. And no pressure washing involved.

Thanks!
Old 19th June 2013, 13:08   #7498
BHPian

hi

where can i find wd40 lubricant in delhi? lajpat nagar car accessories market?
Old 19th June 2013, 13:52   #7499
Distinguished - BHPian

In this city you'd be more likely to find it in the bigger hardware shops, so that may be true there too. Hardware or engineering.
Old 19th June 2013, 14:08   #7500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar_gautam View Post

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply!

Don't want to go for a permanent coating so DLUX is out.

Between the two, PERL & Hyperdresser which one would you recommend?

Car is used for daily commute. And no pressure washing involved.

Thanks!
Both are good in their own ways. Id recommend both but you can choose after deciding what look you prefer.

-HyperDresser can be diluted from 1:1 to 1:4. The dilutions give you glossy plasticky look to natural matte look respectively.

-PERL can also be diluted up to 1:5 iirc. But PERL only gives you a glossy shine like the ones you have seen in the picture Ive posted. No matte finish or natural look.

My personal preference is Hyperdresser 1:4 for tyres, trims and engine bay for that matte or satin finish. And PERL for my faded trims to make them look newish. You can try out 50ml sample of PERL and dilute it to see if you like the look it gives. Same for HyperDresser if your supplier agrees to give in small qty or else youd have to buy an entire gallon.

Finally go with the one that gives you the look you prefer.
Parthasarathig is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks