Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2013, 19:07   #7396
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Nice watch:
On a similar note, I wet sanded to get rid of orange peel. results below, I think I did a decent job here:

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_1242.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_1249.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_1267.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 22:25   #7397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post

On a similar note, I wet sanded to get rid of orange peel. results below, I think I did a decent job here:
Can you tell when should one do wet sanding ? Also how does one do the process of wet sanding?
Old 19th May 2013, 10:17   #7398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Can you tell when should one do wet sanding ? Also how does one do the process of wet sanding?
Wet sanding must be done when all else fails, i.e., compounding does not give the desired finish. In my case, the car was repainted very badly and there were tons of ugly orange peel which I could not take out even with foam cutting pads and good cutting compounds.

This is a fantastic guide for wet sanding by hand; I followed a similar process for my car: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...echniques.html

To give you an idea, you have already seen the door before and after. Below is hatch before:

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20130413_162122.jpg

After wet sanding. Do wet sanding only if you have the tools/compounds to remove all of these scratches! Else do not attempt wet sanding!

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20130413_162131.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 03:55   #7399
BHPian

Has anyone used Microfiber towels by a bangalore based company called X-static? They have quite a portfolio of towels of varying gsm and sizes and offer a good competition to the branded ones from international companies. Was thinking of getting a few but reviews would be useful.

Thanks.
Old 20th May 2013, 07:53   #7400
BHPian

Hello all! I have been a silent observer for over two years at this forum but today I couldn't help but post my first query here at THE forum. Yesterday I picked up some plants for my small garden and while driving somehow forgot that I was carrying them in my boot. I also picked up some loose soil with them. After reaching my place late at night, to my dismay, the soil was all over the boot. I tried to clean up some mess but that didn't help either. There was and still is a lot of soil on the carpet (under the mat) and some of it has managed to go under the back seat. Can anyone from pine nearby Magarpatta area let me know which is the best place to get this fixed? Can the 3M guys do it? How much will they charge?
Old 20th May 2013, 08:01   #7401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig
Has anyone used Microfiber towels by a bangalore based company called X-static? They have quite a portfolio of towels of varying gsm and sizes and offer a good competition to the branded ones from international companies. Was thinking of getting a few but reviews would be useful.

Thanks.
Avoid them like plague, very poor quality. It's a Chinese import.
I'd stick with Sonax for polishing or good international brands for other jobs.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 09:00   #7402
Distinguished - BHPian

I am satisfied with Xstatic. I have been using their microfiber towels from a long time. I have two for detailing, one for the glass. Also have two of the water magnet towels. Trust me, the water magnet ones are superb. They absorb water like crazy. Have come across Chinese brands and even bought them from supermarkets but this isn't comparable to Xstatic.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 09:02   #7403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post

Avoid them like plague, very poor quality. It's a Chinese import.
I'd stick with Sonax for polishing or good international brands for other jobs.
Most of the microfiber towels come from China itself irrespective of th brand. I guess quality control is the key.

Im surprised about this though as on paper thr Xstatic towels are supposed to be as good as or even better than cobra and meguiars towels. The Xstatic gold microfiber premium towel is the only towel Ive seen with the highest gsm -410 and also its quite large at 50x70cm.

The advantage Xstatic offers is the price.

Have you used these towels? And what did you use them for? Have you tried their water magnet towel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis86 View Post
Hello all! I have been a silent observer for over two years at this forum but today I couldn't help but post my first query here at THE forum.
Well you can get it cleaned with a vaccum cleaner and if you dont have one then visit any car cleaning garage. 3m guys will definitely do a much better job but it will be given as a package for total interior clean.

Edit:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I am satisfied with Xstatic. I have been using their microfiber towels from a long time. I have two for detailing, one for the glass.
Just saw your post mate. The gold towel has the same chemical ratio as that of the cobra guzzler - 80/20. Have no idea about the chemistry side but Im guessing specs that are equal or even more is better hehe.

Was comparing all these towels last night and Xstatic definitely looked a vfm proposition. Especially the size of the towel for the price.

Well I may end up buying a few for my detailing needs as Ive got only a few towels and they are high priced. So looked for alternate options. The price on ebay is a bit high due to courier charges even for local deliveries. Anywhere I can buy them in bulk and for cheap?

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 20th May 2013 at 09:17.
Old 20th May 2013, 09:19   #7404
Distinguished - BHPian

Keep a water magnet for Drying. You have to apply minimal pressure on the towel to clean which reduces the possiblity of scratches or swirls. I havent tried the gold towel but have brought the older version which is not so efficient in drying but very good at the final touches or while buffimg off wax. They are suitable for interiors too. Given the less cost they are surely VFM.
Old 20th May 2013, 09:31   #7405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Well I may end up buying a few for my detailing needs as Ive got only a few towels and they are high priced. So looked for alternate options. The price on ebay is a bit high due to courier charges even for local deliveries. Anywhere I can buy them in bulk and for cheap?
Check the Shell petrol pumps. Most of them stock the X-Static MF towels . The one on mysore road after BHEL towards mysore definitely had plenty in stock when i last visited them to fill petrol
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 09:38   #7406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Keep a water magnet for Drying. You have to apply minimal pressure on the towel to clean which reduces the possiblity of scratches or swirls.
Thanks.

I shall place an order for some of the range and test out each. Can do with a few good towels for basic cleaning around the car. Especially for those ONR washes where I usually run out of my Jopasu towels By the time i finish the door and they tend to marr the surface after that.

For glass ive the sonax towels which cost the same as the Xstatic ones with shipping. So it will be the plush towel, water magnet and the gold towel then.

Quote:

Check the Shell petrol pumps. Most of them stock the X-Static MF towels . The one on mysore road after BHEL towards mysore definitely had plenty in stock when i last visited them to fill petrol
The closest one to me is the Bellary road one. Lemme check once I go for a refill.

Did you use any of them? Just curious.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 20th May 2013 at 09:40.
Old 20th May 2013, 10:01   #7407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The price on ebay is a bit high due to courier charges even for local deliveries. Anywhere I can buy them in bulk and for cheap?
Auchan supermarket (earlier, spar) in Mantri square mall had almost the entire range of x-tatic microfiber towels when I was there last week. Shell petrol pump near Jakkur aerodrome on Bellary road did have stock last week. Don't know about the ganganagar pump.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 10:18   #7408
BHPian

Quote:
Was comparing all these towels last night and Xstatic definitely looked a vfm proposition. Especially the size of the towel for the price.

What is the cost of this MF towel? Also let me know once you explore the bulk buy option. I ll try if I can find them here in Chennai at Shell petrol bunks.
Old 20th May 2013, 10:40   #7409
Distinguished - BHPian

The entire range of Xstatic was available in Mantri last Thursday when I visited Auchan. However IIRC the prices were same compared to the online list prices. No offers either. Btw they are located in Wilson garden so you could maybe personally visit them to check if they have a better deal.

Last edited by audioholic : 20th May 2013 at 10:42.
Old 20th May 2013, 10:52   #7410
BHPian

Quote:
You can use normal hose pipe to give a wash.

6. Apply panel by panel. If you have a DA or polisher use the appropriate pad . Otherwise use a microfiber towel or a applicator. Yes apply in circles.

Yes you can apply second coat tomorrow. Wiping is required just to ensure that the dust settled over a the day is removed and the wax does not get mixed with the dust.
I live in the second floor of my flat and running a hose is impossible. There are no other water outlets to make use.
I did the dusting, washing, washing with sonax, rinsing and drying. To my surprise, my car got the wax finish or shine. I was already toiling in th sun for 3 hours, so didnt exclusively apply collinite.

Will plan it for the next weekend. I am loving this sonax shampoo, even in the night, my chrome grille was glittering.

Time well spent

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks