Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2013, 11:32   #7321
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

This is my Red hot Punto.

Products uses:- a) UWW ( Rinse/water less wash )
b) Mothers Clay bar kit
c) Dodo Juice micro prime
d) UPGP sealant ( 3 Coats )
e) Bouncer's Capture the Rapture carnauba wax ( 1 Coat, Planning two more coats of the same )
f) WolfGang applicator pad ( Hand applicator )
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-1-1.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-7.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-11.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-13.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-14.jpg  

linuxmanju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 12:08   #7322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Hey guys
I was researching a few days back about the Collinite waxes. According to the site faqs, the durability in decreasing order is as follows:-

1. 476
2. 915
3. 845

This however seems contrary to popular belief that the 845 is the most durable. Since the 915 contains the highest amount of carnauba, I had thought that it should be least durable of the 3.

Anyone has any idea about this?
I don't know who told you 845 is the most durable. We all know 845 is the easiest to apply and is solvent heavy. Next is 476 with higher Carnuba content and better durability, but relatively more work to apply and remove. Last is 915, THE highest Carnuba content, less durable than 476 but still more durable than 845.More Carnuba means better and deeper looks but after a point, the durability will be affected. You need other chemicals to keep it all together. 100% Carnuba is hard as a stone.

http://www.collinite.com/assets/Uplo...electguide.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
This is my Red hot Punto.
Looking good mate.
How did you prep the paint - Micro Prime on Wolfgang Tri Foam Applicator by hand? Which side of the applicator did you use?

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th May 2013 at 09:23. Reason: Back to back posts.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 12:24   #7323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Looking good mate.
How did you prep the paint - Micro Prime on Wolfgang Tri Foam Applicator by hand? Which side of the applicator did you use?
Thanks mate, Used the orange side of it.
Old 6th May 2013, 14:44   #7324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
@Captain Slow

Thanks for the quick reply. If you don't mind can you list out the exact product names..?
For cleaning leather and Door Pads I use
Stp Tuff Stuff Multi-Purpose Foam Cleaner
http://www.pepperfry.com/stp-tuff-st...gm-234859.html

After cleaning for the shine and protection you can use this or a similar product from armorall/Sonax
http://www.tradus.com/formula1-prote...AM8HIAZ7AD8CD2
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 10:25   #7325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
For cleaning leather and Door Pads I use
Stp Tuff Stuff Multi-Purpose Foam Cleaner
http://www.pepperfry.com/stp-tuff-st...gm-234859.html
sir , you can use Megs APC for the same purpose in proper dilution. not only it will cost less but you can use it to clean wheels , tyres and other lots of things.

Just my two cents
NOTORIOUS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 10:33   #7326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
sir , you can use Megs APC for the same purpose in proper dilution. not only it will cost less but you can use it to clean wheels , tyres and other lots of things.

Just my two cents
Hi,

Can you tell me where can I buy this from ? I would love to try it.
Old 7th May 2013, 12:34   #7327
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

in banglore you can try balaji (3m car care) or ask our inhouse Ultimate Detailerz.

The Price of gallon (3.78 Liter) is Rs 1231/-. normally we use it in the ratio of 10:1 and ratios like 4:1 is required for very very heavy cleaning.

Please note that this apc is not recommended for leather seats.

hope it helps
Old 7th May 2013, 12:59   #7328
BHPian

Hi All,

I am new to this thread. This is a really valuable thread. I am planning to start doing Detailing of my cars myself from now on. I am looking forward to a lot of advice from all you Car Care Gurus out here.

I have a the following cars, and I am attaching a few pictures of these.

1. Silver Camry 2007, last got a Exterior and Interior Enrichment at the Toyota Service Center during the 50K Service a year ago.

2. Dark Green Scorpio 2003 Non-CRDE

I have a car cleaner who does a bucket wash for my cars everyday.

I stay in a DDA flat in Delhi, and I have no choice but to park my cars in the sun. Over the last 10 yrs the Clear of the Roof of my Scorpio started peeling off, and the color was fading, so I got the roof painted. Now the same is happening with the Bonnet of the Scorpio.
Due to the sun, the Roof and the Bonnet of my Cielo (Now sold) had also faded over time. You can see the Cielo with the faded bonnet in the second last picture taken a couple of months ago before I sold it off.
Sometimes I feel I just cover my Camry with covers and not open it at all in the extreme Delhi Summer Months of May and June :(
Is there something I can do (I mean Sunscreen type of polish) to minimize the damage to my cars from the Sun ? My Camry's paint is not effected till now.

Now during the Spring season I run into a big problem. There are a mysterious yellow droppings all over my cars. For the life of me I cannot find out what causes these. Even though my Cars do not stand directly under a tree, I suspect these are droppings from something in the surrounding trees. These cannot even be wiped off with a damp cloth, rather they have to be scratched out with the nail. Does anybody else face this problem? Any idea what these could be ?

Now that I have decided to spend my Sundays caring for my car, I have two options. Either I can call some professional Car Detailing people to my place and get My Cars Shampooed, Clayarred , Polished or do it myself. I don't mind doing it myself, as it will give me a good weekend workout too.

I have gone through the last many pages of the thread and got the basic hang of what I need to do and get (Claybar, Shampoo, i.e.Collinite waxes etc) to get my cars back to their glory.

Now I have a few questions for the experts here

Quote:
The steps for a full detailing as I understand is.

1) Wash
2) Dry
3) Clay
4) Polish
5) Selant
6) LSP

But if your car is already in good condition you do not need to clay it for regular maintenance. Just wash it and apply wax. The above prep you might have to do it only once in a year or 6 months to prep the paint.

However you can use the clay to remove tar/tree saps often only on the affected area ( Not full car ) as and when required. Do remember that, it is recommended to do a polish after claying as claying might mar the paint and polishing it will take care of that.
I Understand the basic steps for Exterior Detailing wouuld be these mentioned above by linuxmanju.
1. What is LSP ?
2. Can somebody recommend good products which could be easily available in Delhi for each step.

Somebody mentioned Amway spray bottles from Mr. Nirmal and Claybar from notorious. How do I get the contact info of Mr Nirmal and Notorious. Can I buy these things from any shop in Delhi ?

Also if you look at the Scorpio, the first Plastic Panel which was replaced looks dark, the rest have faded away. Is there something that can be done to get the plastic panels to even colors.

Thanks

Styler
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-camry1.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-camry2.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-cars1.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-cars2.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-scorpio.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-camrycielo.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-camry3.jpg  

Last edited by Styler : 7th May 2013 at 13:16.
Old 7th May 2013, 13:18   #7329
BHPian

^^

Lsp is the last step protection you use after paint correction , it may be some wax or sealent.

as far as that side cadding / Bumper is concerned , no polish will bring back the original colour. i suggest you to paint them in dark grey and your car will look great.

any other questions ??? Please Feel Free To Ask !

Last edited by NOTORIOUS : 7th May 2013 at 13:19.
Old 7th May 2013, 13:56   #7330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
1. What is LSP ?
LSP is last step/stage protection ( http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...-lsp-mean.html ). It can be your sealant, wax or whatever goes as the final step of your detailing.

Quote:
2. Can somebody recommend good products which could be easily available in Delhi for each step.
You can try sourcing from BBImpex ( http://www.bringingbest.com/ ) or local Meguires/3M outlets.

The products that you might need is as below, with few suggestions.

1) ClayBar and Lube ( Check with Notorious or Nirmal or Megs also have some good clay bar and lube ).

2) Polish and Applicator pad ( Meguiar's Ultimate Polish or Compound and Megs yellow applicator pads ).

3) MicroFiber Clothes ( Something from Megs or Euro MF clothes from BBImpex ).

4) Sealant ( UPGP , CarPro Reload or Collinite 845 can be sourced from BBImpex , Nirmal or Moshin ). What ever sealant you use, it is recommended to layer it at least twice with a gap of 24 Hours.

5)Optionally Wax as LSP to keep that shine ( Any good carnauba wax like C 476 or 915 or Megs techwax paste/liquid should do it )

Quote:
Somebody mentioned Amway spray bottles from Mr. Nirmal and Claybar from notorious. How do I get the contact info of Mr Nirmal and Notorious. Can I buy these things from any shop in Delhi ?
You can even buy a spray bottle from your local Shell petrol bunks. Nirmal can be reached at "+91 Nine Nine 161 two 0 561".

Quote:
Also if you look at the Scorpio, the first Plastic Panel which was replaced looks dark, the rest have faded away. Is there something that can be done to get the plastic panels to even colors.
Try Forever Black from BBImpex ( http://www.bringingbest.com/Forever_Black.html) or Optimum tyre gel (http://www.optimumcarcare.com/obtgel.php )

@Pedaltothefloor or Others anything I left out please add?.
linuxmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 14:26   #7331
BHPian

Does anyone have a safe and reliable idea on how to get rid of dead bugs on the windscreen, bumper without marring the paint job? Plus, how quickly should one get rid of dead bugs. I usually wait till I wash the car but in my experience by that time they have kinda got stuck to the paint. Suggestions please .
Old 7th May 2013, 14:34   #7332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyworld View Post
Does anyone have a safe and reliable idea on how to get rid of dead bugs on the windscreen, bumper without marring the paint job? Plus, how quickly should one get rid of dead bugs. I usually wait till I wash the car but in my experience by that time they have kinda got stuck to the paint. Suggestions please .
I face the same situation as well . What I used to do was wait until I wash the car during the weekend or end of month. Later I found that if we leave such a mess for longer durations, it kind of gets baked in the sun and causes etching on the paint or on the appropriate area. My car's bonnet has stain marks of bird droppings though it is washed off. Now I need to use rubbing compounds and follow the procedures of polishing and waxing which is really time consuming.

Best advice to you is to dab the affected area with a cloth using car wash solution and cover it with the cloth and then rinse it off after 10-15mins. As a second step, you may try spraying little amount of WD-40/diesel on it and allow it to soak for a while. Then remove it with a wet tissue and give it a wash again. Finally try to use a car cover to prevent this from happening ever.
petrolhead_chn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 14:35   #7333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyworld View Post
I have used warm water with a nice car shampoo to remove the dead insects/tree sap. Just let the spots soak with this shampoo water and after that, just slowly rub the spot using a microfiber towel. This is the usual procedure i follow and it has worked for me so far.
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 15:16   #7334
BHPian

Quote:

Try Forever Black from BBImpex ( http://www.bringingbest.com/Forever_Black.html) or Optimum tyre gel (http://www.optimumcarcare.com/obtgel.php )
No Use , I have tried it. Trust Me !

Painting is a far far better solution then this one.
Old 7th May 2013, 15:26   #7335
BHPian

Quote:

Hi,

Contact Mr. Nirmal since you're in BLR. Have pm'ed you his number. He will have ready stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post

No Use , I have tried it. Trust Me !

Painting is a far far better solution then this one.
How about mothers back to black? Does it work?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks