Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2013, 19:04   #7276
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
I don't believe that wax will protect your Paint from Scratching. Impossible. The scratch would be too soft to damage the base coat & hence the happiness. But do check your clear coat during daytime at different angles. I am sure you will notice some scratches if at all something has touched there.
Absolutely. i typed wax by mistake but my car had been teflon coated. I meant to type that. But i had waxed it was well, hence the confusion. But the shine i obtained after waxing it perfectly was a sight to behold for me.
Old 24th April 2013, 19:31   #7277
Distinguished - BHPian

Teflon does not protect against scratches at all. Just think how careful one has to be with Teflon-coated cookware ---at least, with the earlier generation, no metal untensils and all--- newer surfaces are tougher. All Teflon does is make it harder for dirt to stick.

I guess I'll try washing my Jopasu soon. After reading all the recent posts, for first time I am going to try just washing it under the tap, with no soap/detergent and no soaking. My idea will be to remove the loose dirt. Let's see how it goes
Old 24th April 2013, 20:04   #7278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
It is same but from different mfr.
Great. Hope its not as costly

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post

The USP of Jopasu duster is it is wax coated ( Please don't ask me if it is true and how long this wax on the loose strings will last ).
At the end of my previous post, Ive quoted a part from the california dusters page which says the same thing. Its better not to wash the jopasu duster as all have said, as according to the other manufacturer it should work better the dirtier it gets. You are correct about that part. Indeed it is because of the wax.

Ive washed the duster and havent faced any problem as such except that it takes long to dry. But probably I will try not to wash the next duster I buy and see how long it works, although Im dust-o-phobic.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 20:59   #7279
BHPian

ParthasarathiG, this is the result of your guidance

Picture i took when the car was on the way to tirupati

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-car1.jpg

A closer look

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-car2.jpg
Arch-Angel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 21:30   #7280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
ParthasarathiG, this is the result of your guidance.

Picture i took when the car was on the way to tirupati

A closer look
Arch-Angel hats off to your efforts. The car looks stunning. Specially the second pic with the clouds. Absolute stunner. Clap:

Well Ive BHPians to thank for whatever little knowledge Ive gained by interacting with the members and shared with you.

Do post some more pics. Thats the target I should achieve with my 2.5 year old car.

Edit:- the second image is an excelent FB cover picture material.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 24th April 2013 at 21:36.
Old 24th April 2013, 21:38   #7281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Arch-Angel hats off to your efforts. The car looks stunning. Specially the second pic with the clouds. Absolute stunner. Clap:

Well Ive BHPians to thank for whatever little knowledge Ive gained by interacting with the members and shared with you.

Do post some more pics. Thats the target I should achieve with my 2.5 year old car.

Edit:- the second image is an excelent FB cover picture material.
Thanks for your kind words Parathasarathig! I owe it all to your guidance and numerous others who pointed me on how to do it. Slowly i am getting to know the tricks of the trade .
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 21:41   #7282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
I thinks its time to make your car a stunner. Your 80gm claybar has arrived at my place. Hope you get a DA too to remove those swirls.

Any update on your DA purchase ?
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 22:13   #7283
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for your kind words Parathasarathig! I owe it all to your guidance and numerous others who pointed me on how to do it. Slowly i am getting to know the tricks of the trade
You are welcome. After HighOctane's figo, this is the second figo Ive seen that looks brilliantly detailed. If you are more interested, you may also sign up on dedicated forums like autogeekonline and detailingworld.co.uk. Those UK detailers do some brilliant work IMO even better than their American counterparts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post

I thinks its time to make your car a stunner. Your 80gm claybar has arrived at my place. Hope you get a DA too to remove those swirls.

Any update on your DA purchase ?
I was about to mention about the DA. Thanks to notorious for sending out our clay bars. I shall visit you soon for the clay bar.

Yes I shall be getting a DA soon if all goes according to plan. Without a DA perfection seems miles ahead.

BTW, the collinite and the wolfgang sealant is working to their full potential in this rainy amd muddy weather.
Old 24th April 2013, 22:16   #7284
BHPian

I have been user of California original duster for 3 plus years now. Yes it is effective when the car is absolutely dry and the dust cover loose and not settled. It is as effective as any other duster when it comes to settled dirt or things like bird droppings.
Also one takes care of maintaining the duster - like keeping it in polythene cover and the outer case when not in use, shaking it vigorously after every use etc the life is likely be less. The effectiveness start declining after say 4 years. The early sign is when you have to run the duster more than a couple of times on the same area to get rid of the dust. The current price is approx
Rs 1700 in India compared tAmazon price of US D 22 or so.

Cheers
Waxeloquent is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 09:38   #7285
BHPian

My set of Jopasu dusters just arrived. They remove the dust very effectively i must say. By the way, how do i keep the duster clean? Is washing required? Or is there any other thing that i must do to ensure its effectiveness over a long span of time.
Old 25th April 2013, 10:18   #7286
BHPian

Quote:
By the way, how do i keep the duster clean? Is washing required? Or is there any other thing that i must do to ensure its effectiveness over a long span of time.
My suggestion do not do anything, keep using it and make sure you shake it off well before and after dusting.

You can think about washing it after say 6 months.
linuxmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 10:27   #7287
BHPian

Another generic question. The procedure i followed was

1. Generic car shampoo bath.
2. Normal water bath to remove left overs (Used MF towels with minimal pressure to clean the surface)
3. Used a drying towel to dry the surface
4. Sprayed on the wax and used the applicator pads to spread it.
5. Used Banian cloth(yes, banian cloth works much better than most towels, also, its much better than MF cloth in this regard alone) to buff up the surface.
6. Let the surface dry
7. Tried spraying a little water to check water beading and it seems to be good.

In this process, where do i fit in claying? Is it after washing and drying or do i clay it after the surface has been wetted by the clean water wash?
Old 25th April 2013, 10:55   #7288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another generic question. The procedure i followed was

In this process, where do i fit in claying? Is it after washing and drying or do i clay it after the surface has been wetted by the clean water wash?
As far as I understand, clay bar application should be done before Wax process. As you know, clay bar removes fine impurities, tar marks, bird poops, etc. which can not be cleaned by a generic shampoo wash. So by the time you start waxing, the car is almost perfectly clean.

Experts, correct me if I am wrong.
Old 25th April 2013, 11:16   #7289
BHPian

Quote:
This is the sequence you follow

Shampoo, either 2 bucket wash or ONR. Wash dry using MF clothes.
Clay - Use the quick detailer (spray) to lubricate the clay and the surface.
Polish
Wax
Selant

Choose a correct clay for your car. Aggressiveness ones can do more damage than good.

Last edited by Mudhalaipatti : 25th April 2013 at 11:17.
Old 25th April 2013, 11:16   #7290
BHPian

Quote:
The steps for a full detailing as I understand is.

1) Wash
2) Dry
3) Clay
4) Polish
5) Selant
6) LSP

But if your car is already in good condition you do not need to clay it for regular maintenance. Just wash it and apply wax. The above prep you might have to do it only once in a year or 6 months to prep the paint.

However you can use the clay to remove tar/tree saps often only on the affected area ( Not full car ) as and when required. Do remember that, it is recommended to do a polish after claying as claying might mar the paint and polishing it will take care of that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks