Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2014, 16:00   #8686
BHPian

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post

Unbelievable! Good to know that Scholl Concepts stand by their brand. The very fact that they interacted with you speaks volumes, most companies won't even bother.
True that! I myself was blown away when they replied back saying samples would be sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Those waxes you got for free, retail over 100 pounds each. Are those panel pots? Please share detailed reviews of both the waxes.

Yup, 50ml panel pots. Will surely update once I try them. For now secured them in a safe place and will try once the monsoons are over.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 27th June 2014 at 16:02.
Old 27th June 2014, 20:20   #8687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
With the monsoons (finally!) entering Bengal, it sometimes drizzles, sometimes pours and is seldom dry in Kolkata.

As the rains started - The slushy road film, tire spray and rain on my windshield (which was uncoated) - made a mess of things whenever the wipers were on and started leaving visible marks which were both ugly and dangerous (reduced visibility at night).

So then I gave a long hard look to the Carpro Flyby30 kit which I had got like 6-7 months back but was yet to use, and finally decided that enough was enough - .....
[*]First used UWW (Ultima Waterless Wash) and a plain microfiber to remove the dirt and grime......Now the wait begins for 12 hours minimum before I can see the actual ]
Bro, I wash the windshield, only, with surf excel. Rinse. Total time 1 minute every morning. Been doing this for 30 years. Nothing else comes close to being cheap and effective
Old 27th June 2014, 23:15   #8688
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishkc View Post
@blackasta: Please try to avoid using Heat gun on the Windshield as you are bound to cause damage as you know windshield is made using 2 seperate layers bonded by a glue called Polyvinyl butyral (or PVB) which can melt if excessive heat is encountered normally this type of drying is done by infrared heaters. There are products which are room temperature curable with comparable performance.
How much heat is too much for the glue to get affected? The model I have ranges between 50-450 C. Recommended by carpro is 80C for 5 mins. I think I used at about 100C for 2 mins, that too 1-2 mins for the entire windshield area.
And think this may only be done once a year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Bro, I wash the windshield, only, with surf excel. Rinse. Total time 1 minute every morning. Been doing this for 30 years. Nothing else comes close to being cheap and effective
Please continue following your tried and tested method - nothing better than what works for you.
Old 29th June 2014, 10:59   #8689
Senior - BHPian

My uncle drove down from Mangalore last evening. When I checked his Ritz this morning, the doors were decorated with tar and some really tough stains. I had bought Auto Finesse Oblitarate 2 weeks back but wasn't able to check that on my car since it didn't have any tar marks or tough stains. As soon as I saw my uncle's car, I thought of testing the Oblitarate. I started working on his car early morning before anyone got up.

The car's condition. Note that the splatter marks are not dirt but one of the toughest stain I have ever seen. No idea where all he takes his car:
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6800.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6801.jpg

The Oblitarate:
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6802.jpg

I just sprayed the Oblitarate and it immediately started acting:
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6809.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6810.jpg

I took a small sponge and just moved it over the splattered stains just once very lightly without putting any pressure. All the tough stains just vanished.

The end result:
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6817.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-100_6819.jpg

I'm highly impressed with this product. The time taken by it to remove the tar and stains was just few seconds. The door was completely clean within a minute. I then rinsed using water. I used a face mask and black nitrile gloves before using it. Its very strong. After working on it, I just washed the car and silently went and slept. My uncle had a surprise when he got up .
guyfrmblr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 13:29   #8690
BHPian

A question to those who use any waterless car wash:
What type of cloth do you use to wipe dry after spraying?
I find that the MF cloth is not that good in absorbing as a cotton towel because of which it leaves a wet trail.
Or shall I simply let it dry by itself after wiping with the MF and not worry about drying the surface completely.
For the records: I am using Proklear waterless wash and 3M Micro fiber cloth.
Old 1st July 2014, 14:04   #8691
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
I haven't tried the waterless wash method yet but I use Meguiar's Water Magnet MF towel to dry the car after a car wash. The towel is very soft, textured and absorbent to a great extent. I wring the towel only once during the entire process. With a larger thicker one, you wouldn't have to do that either.
Old 1st July 2014, 14:05   #8692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
A question to those who use any waterless car wash:
Use a drying towel and pat dry.

Quote:
I find that the MF cloth is not that good in absorbing as a cotton towel because of which it leaves a wet trail.
Ideally you should use a drying aid with MF. Running dry MF on the paint is something which I am not comfortable with.

Quote:
Or shall I simply let it dry by itself after wiping with the MF and not worry about drying the surface completely.
For the records: I am using Proklear waterless wash and 3M Micro fiber cloth.
Use a wet MF and wipe off the excess. Works with ONR ( doesn't streak), if dilution ratio is correct and water used for soaking MF is RO water. Not sure about proklear as I have not used it yet.

Best bet is to get a QD like Sonax BSD or a spray wax like Optimum car wax, which you can use it as a drying aid while adding protection.
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:00   #8693
BHPian

Greetings!

Ran out of both QD of Meguiars and Spray wax of Pinnacle brought from abroad. What
options locally are value for money and sources please, thanks. The QD available
locally from 3M is only 473ml whereas abroad it is 912ml. The smaller one just lasts
2, 3 uses max for my Duster :(

Another quick question. Any way I can open these quick detailer spray bottles. Can be
useful. But found them hard to open, some kind of locking mechanism it looks like. Any
tips if someone tried before? Tnx n cheers
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:12   #8694
BHPian

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

After Scholls, the only other brand that blew my mind is Sonax! Been reading a lot about their products and recently tried one of their products. The BSD, Brilliant Shine Detailer. It's a very under rated product. The description says it's a quick detailer but after seeing the water beading effect from a quick detailer, I wonder what level their sealants would perform/protect. Few pics and you'll know what I mean

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-photo-12.jpg
The Windsheild already has a coating of Scholls Neo, Applied BSD on top of it

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-photo-22.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-photo-3.jpg

After the Brilliant Shine Detailer, I am yet to try their Sealants the 'Extreme Protect + Shine Hybrid NPT' or the 'Polymer Net Shield'. Another amazing product that I am keen on trying is the 'Spotless' by Carpro.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 2nd July 2014 at 11:21.
Amarendranath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:17   #8695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
My uncle had a surprise when he got up.
One lucky uncle you got.

Amazing product! Where can I buy one? I use Formula 1 - Bug & Tar Remover. It is effective but not this easy to use. Would love to lay my hands on Oblitarate. Nice name too.
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:27   #8696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Amazing product! Where can I buy one? I use Formula 1 - Bug & Tar Remover. It is effective but not this easy to use. Would love to lay my hands on Oblitarate. Nice name too.
I bought it from DetailedClean.in. Even Tar X is equally effective I believe. Haven't used it though. But Oblitarate is simply superb. Tar X comes with nice fragrance but Oblitarate smells really horrible. I highly recommend using it with face mask and gloves.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 2nd July 2014 at 11:29.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 13:29   #8697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Greetings!

Ran out of both QD of Meguiars and Spray wax of Pinnacle brought from abroad. What
options locally are value for money and sources please, thanks. The QD available
locally from 3M is only 473ml whereas abroad it is 912ml. The smaller one just lasts
2, 3 uses max for my Duster :(
check out www.autofresh.in, they carry megs qd.

check out www.detailedclean.in, they carry pinnacle range.

ps - not attached with any of these sites, just an end user.
Old 2nd July 2014, 13:54   #8698
Distinguished - BHPian

Will polishing of some sorts help remove fine scratches off the body of a car?
Old 2nd July 2014, 15:48   #8699
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used Proklear waterless wash on their cars. I live in a very dusty place. Will cleaning with a Jopasu duster every day or two and using proklear once a week be OK for my car. I wonder if these waterless wash products damage the paint or coating in the long run.
I was looking at this product

http://www.ebay.in/itm?itemId=161324078272
Old 2nd July 2014, 21:16   #8700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone used Proklear waterless wash on their cars. I live in a very dusty place.
I really believe that the more dusty your car gets, the more you need water.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks