Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2013, 18:45   #7831
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Any opinions/reviews on Armor All Easy Grip Sponge or similar? I normally use a wash mitt for car wash and now bought the easy grip sponge thinking it can trap and hold dust better than a mitt. I have not yet used it as I felt it is not so soft for use on a car. Any experiences of using a sponge and is it safe?
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-armorall.jpg  

Old 28th August 2013, 19:08   #7832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
Any opinions/reviews on Armor All Easy Grip Sponge or similar? I normally use a wash mitt for car wash and now bought the easy grip sponge thinking it can trap and hold dust better than a mitt. I have not yet used it as I felt it is not so soft for use on a car. Any experiences of using a sponge and is it safe?
I have a sponge like this supplied in one meguiar's kit.
Normally I use it for washing the running board area.
For the rest of the body I use microfiber wash mitten.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 19:18   #7833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
Any opinions/reviews on Armor All Easy Grip Sponge or similar?
Though I have not used one. I think this sponge will cause minor scratches/swirls on the body.
MaxTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 22:30   #7834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Though I have not used one. I think this sponge will cause minor scratches/swirls on the body.
Not really. Infact one should use a sponge for the dirtier parts of the car like the running boards as Blackasta mentioned. For all other areas use a good quality wash mitt. Swirls are caused in any case considering you are cleaning the dirtiest part of the car.
NOS Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 23:19   #7835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajpv87 View Post
Can anyone tell me which polish I can use on fibre parts of my bike. I've a 4 yr old black ZMA, and paint on one side of it's front fairing has faded. It's quite an eyesore. I already have Formula 1 liquid wax with me, and need to know which polish I can use.
Meguiars Ultimate Polish on a 7 year old ZMA, fiber sidepanel:

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_1097002.jpg

Suggest you do the same
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 09:40   #7836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Meguiars Ultimate Polish on a 7 year old ZMA, fiber sidepanel:

Attachment 1130969

Suggest you do the same
Whoa! That looks awesome! Shall try the product.

This is the first time that I'm gonna use a detailing product (polish or wax), so it'd be of great help of you could just explain the procedure that you followed. Thanks in advance.
Old 29th August 2013, 18:48   #7837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Waxpol metal polish. Works remarkably well in Chrome and removes surface rust with ease.
Removal of rust is not a concern. Plating is new, protection of finish and its life is priority. Impression of fingers and water marks shouldn,t be there.
Old 29th August 2013, 19:21   #7838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Removal of rust is not a concern. Plating is new, protection of finish and its life is priority. Impression of fingers and water marks shouldn,t be there.
It will help in protection, I use it on my silencers and it lasts 3 weeks to a month. It is oil based hence won't wash off in rains. Leaves a slightly oily finish so finger marks might be left.

If finger marks are a concern, try and find Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. Water based so no oily film but wears off in rain.
Old 30th August 2013, 17:43   #7839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
WD40 contains napththa which is chemically similar to Diesel/kerosene. WD-40 is very effective is removing tar so is diesel/kerosene. All are equally safe or harmful to the paint. Diesel/Kerosene costs a fraction of WD-40 .
Didn't know they had similar contents,thanks! However, my experience has been the opposite. I used diesel on the tar spots before trying WD-40, diesel did absolutely nothing even after leaving it for a few secs. WD-40 on the other hand began dissolving the tar instantly.
Old 30th August 2013, 17:52   #7840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Didn't know they had similar contents,thanks! However, my experience has been the opposite. I used diesel on the tar spots before trying WD-40, diesel did absolutely nothing even after leaving it for a few secs. WD-40 on the other hand began dissolving the tar instantly.
WD-40 contains Naphtha. Tar-X (a dedicated tar remover costing 4 times) also contains mainly naphtha and some limolene . Naphtha is a better solvent for tar compared to diesel. So you got better result. But diesel is cheap - cost nothing!!
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 19:14   #7841
BHPian

hi

I need suggestions on cleaning the carpet of my 800. The rainy season has taken its toll badly this time and insipte of using the newspapers and taking other precautions, the carpet of the driving side is quite soiled. Its quite a thick carpet (unlike the ones we see in today's cars) which came as OEM. its a light shade of blue so its all the more apparent.

How should i go about it?
Old 30th August 2013, 19:48   #7842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
hi

I need suggestions on cleaning the carpet of my 800. The rainy season has taken its toll badly this time and insipte of using the newspapers and taking other precautions, the carpet of the driving side is quite soiled. Its quite a thick carpet (unlike the ones we see in today's cars) which came as OEM. its a light shade of blue so its all the more apparent.

Should have used all weather mats.
Carpets, once soiled, are quite difficult to bring back to their former glory.
Professional shampoo service might help.
Old 31st August 2013, 10:28   #7843
BHPian

Quote:
hi

You can also try Scotch Brite Carpet Cleaner. Comes as a foam in aerosol can. Readily available in most upholstery shops like Floating Walls. I've used it with awesome results on my white carpet. All the best!
Old 31st August 2013, 13:18   #7844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar_gautam View Post
You can also try Scotch Brite Carpet Cleaner. Comes as a foam in aerosol can. Readily available in most upholstery shops like Floating Walls. I've used it with awesome results on my white carpet. All the best!

Hey thanks for the suggestion. Is this thing available online anywhere? I am based in a small town so finding it here is next to impossible. And i did google it but not much luck

Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 13:22   #7845
Senior - BHPian

Here you go , but cannot vouch for the site have never ordered from here..

http://www.bizbol.com/_biz/Product/d...947&bizId=1403

Quote:
Hey thanks for the suggestion. Is this thing available online anywhere? I am based in a small town so finding it here is next to impossible. And i did google it but not much luck

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks