Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Sorry for the back to back posts but this pic from today's drive to Hesarghatta

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_1673.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2013, 23:34   #7697
BHPian

Bilt Hamber Polish, Auto Balm and Finis Wax

Auto Balm is spoiling me to a point that I may not be able to use other LSPs at all.
After about 2 months of testing it on the boot of my Car, I decided to try Finis Wax there and immediately I realized that the hand corrected scratches were back. Finis is a good wax but when it comes to paint in poor condition, AB wins hands down.

Then something worse happened. While drying the panel, the towel got stuck in the emblem and it came off leaving a very sticky residue. I decided to remove the entire emblem called "Emotion" and then managed to remove the glue with Tar-X. What was left behind didn't look like can be removed or masked without machine correction and since I don't own a rotary or a DA, I hit it with BH Cleanser Polish on a polishing pad and sealed it with AB.

What these BH products achieved today was nearly impossible. I don't know how BH does it, but thanks a lot for making some of the best products out there.

The ugly, sticky glue left behind after the emblem was removed
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130728230953_zps1aa22f2a.jpg

After Tar-X, BH Cleanser Polish and Auto Balm
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130728125150_zps297820ad.jpg

Some Finis Wax on the Bonnet
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130728125130_zpsaa28875b.jpg

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Please click here to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th July 2013 at 15:17. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 10:05   #7698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
The Bosch is a sander. I'm not sure how would anyone attach backing plate and pads on it to use it as a polisher.
The Bosch is a Random Orbit Sander. I use it frequently to wax/polish my car.

As for the pads, I believe there are 2 types,
1) which come with velcro pads at the back & can be fixed to any sander of compatible size - like bosch, skil, etc.
2) with backing plates, which are to be used with proper DA/polishers.

All the pads that I have - Meguiars & Lake Country, have velcro at the back & can be snapped on and off in a jiffy. Its specially handy when you're working one panel at a time, & need to switch from compounding(Burgundy Pad) to waxing(Black Pad) to polishing(Yellow Pad).

I would say go for the Bosch sander. Its a VFM option when compared to a DA.

Cheers!

PS : @SunnyBoi : Are you somewhere in North Bangalore, have seen your car around jakkur/yelahanka.
kumar_gautam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 10:10   #7699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar_gautam View Post
Pictures please!

Quote:
PS : @SunnyBoi : Are you somewhere in North Bangalore, have seen your car around jakkur/yelahanka.
It must be someone else; I live in South Bangalore.
Old 29th July 2013, 10:14   #7700
BHPian

Quote:
Pictures please!
In office now. Will upload some soon - of the tools & results!

Cheers!
kumar_gautam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 01:09   #7701
BHPian

Quote:
Rotary takes time to master. However keep speeds low and it will take literally an idiot to damage paint.

You can ask Nirmal to take a rotary training session. On that thought, It would be very helpful if professional detailers introduce a weekend course for teaching the art of mastering a rotary for everyone who is interested!.
Thats a great idea @Sunny. We shall be having our own Detail Fest here in Bangalore then yaay!!!

Quote:

Cheers!

The DA polishers we use are basically a variety of these sanding machines. The orbit on the sanding machines will be pretty less however, but for DIY use, that shouldnt bother us much. @Sohail99 had also posted in this thread, about how he went about converting a Dewalt RO sander into a DA polisher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Auto Balm is spoiling me to a point that I
What these BH products achieved today was nearly impossible. I don't know how BH does it, but thanks a lot for making some of the best products out there.
]
Aww man, this looks awesome. Even your car seems to be smiling with all the attention you pour on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, this is what I had been doing in the past week.

On tuesday and wednesday of this week I finished detailing the rest of my car . Here are some more pics:-

First, the roof and the rear spoiler. Used @Notorious clay and Meguiars QID as the lube. The clay was great, pulled off a few contaminants since it has been almost 6 months of my previous detailing.

Used the Kestrel along with orange pad and 105. Hardly needed to use a second step, but I did the 2nd step on the entire roof with Ultimate Polish and to me it felt fabulous. My roof was the most heavily swirled part of the car, and looked pretty ugly under night lighting in malls and in parking lots. I was really impressed with the power of the simple machine.

In the last few pics, I've tried to capture the 50/50.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130723_114159.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130723_134229.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130723_134342.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130723_134559.jpg

A few after pics after applying Megs NXT TCH 2.0 sealant on the roof. Crisp reflections.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130723_153616.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130723_153653.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130723_153716.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130723_154256.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130723_154319.jpg

Moved onto the doors - a bit difficult than the horizontal panels. And I had to be more careful on the edges as my door is not one flat panel but it has bends.

I also noticed that the dodo juice pads arent that great, atleast the orange cutting pad. the velcro is uneven and the backing plate cuts into the pad in case of pressure applied. This does not happen in other pads like 3m and lake country due to a better velcro backing.

Some after pictures of the doors with Megs NXT TCH 2.0 and Collinite 915 on top. Enjoy the crisp reflections.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130724_124643.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130724_140123.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130724_140135.jpg

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 30th July 2013 at 01:14.
Parthasarathig is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 01:39   #7702
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used this product :

Ez Jet Water Cannon 8 In 1 Turbo Water Spray Gun

Will this work in india? Getting it for 800 bucks so looks attractive but doubt it would be that great.
Old 30th July 2013, 09:37   #7703
BHPian

Hello All,

The bumper of our car has some hard-thick stain. I noticed it couple of days back, the stain resembles mud.I did not bother to check it as its monsoon time and i was convinced its mud. Today in the morning after the cleaner washed the car.The stain is there, dried.

Its from the boot opening on the LHS on the bumper till the mud flaps. When i opened the boot ,i could smell egg

I do not know how it happened,but it appears ugly. What should i buy/do to clear this stain.

Need Advice.

Rishi
Old 30th July 2013, 14:21   #7704
BHPian

Is there any means of fixing this discoloration tried out a toothbrush plus degreaser , metal polish etc
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-image3931067813.jpg  

Old 30th July 2013, 16:59   #7705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Some after pictures of the doors with Megs NXT TCH 2.0 and Collinite 915 on top. Enjoy the crisp reflections.
The results on the hood are pretty good man! The last 2 pics, with the Pulsar bike in reflection were also a before/after comparo ? Do post more info on the Megs NXT 2.0 sealant. I always thought they only had it as a paste wax.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 17:10   #7706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Is there any means of fixing this discoloration tried out a toothbrush plus degreaser , metal polish etc
Any metal polish from Mother's, Wurth etc will do the job. Should be available locally or check purplekart.
Old 30th July 2013, 17:27   #7707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post

Any metal polish .
I tried with household brasso, chemical guys blue-b-gone nothing has helped.
Old 30th July 2013, 20:24   #7708
Senior - BHPian

I did ask this question some time back and got an answer to use petrol. Is using petrol safe for removing this? Is this tar or insect residue? I've not been near any fresh tar. This is not happening on the Micra, it is the white Vento that is getting dirty thus. This is towards the bottom on the sides.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_5795.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_5796.jpg

I'm also contemplating on getting Bosch Aquatak 100 plus pressure washer as Karcher 3.5 is a bit expensive and 2.1 does not have all the accessories. Moreover, the absence of local dealers and service is acting against the Karcher. Has anyone purchased from machpowertools.com recently? Any reviews? Or anyone bought a Karcher in Kerala?
Old 30th July 2013, 20:31   #7709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I tried with household brasso, chemical guys blue-b-gone nothing has helped.
Try Autosol. If it is surface stain you ought to be able to get rid of it, if it has gone deeper then probably not.

Brass polishes contain the right chemicals to attack the oxides that tarnish brass; they may not be effective on other metals.
Old 30th July 2013, 22:43   #7710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I did ask this question some time back and got an answer to use petrol. Is using petrol safe for removing this?
This looks like a combo of bug marks and tar spots, I see more of the latter. Its generally not advisable to use Petrol/Diesel to clean since they harm the paint if left for a long time. The best option would be to try something like Carpro Tar X and may be Car pro Iron X if needed.

Tar X will work just fine. In your case, I think 50 ml should suffice. Once cleaned, please do clay the area polish and apply wax/sealant. It will give the running board area a wee bit of resistance against these, also if it all they do come back it will be easier to get rid of.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 30th July 2013 at 22:44.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks