Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2013, 22:06   #6841
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
HI Guys - Does anyone know of a Portable or Domestic Steam Washer. I am looking for one to clean AC Vents, Engine Bay and Rexine seats.

Any pointers are helpful. I noticed there is a Karcher Domestic Steam cleaner for 10,000/- but not sure if its pressure is high enough to clean AC Vents. Of Course there is a high power Steam Cleaner for Professionals from Karcher, but that costs in lakhs.

Any options please. Somehow I want to have this machine.

100/- engine bay cleaning
500 - Engine Bay detailing
1200/- AC Vent Cleaning.

I could break even in 5 washes at the best.
I checked out the Optima Steamer but guess what it costs 2,85,000/- Yes. 2 lakh 85 thousand. It is for commercial use only and not for domestic usage.

http://steammachine.in
Old 20th January 2013, 12:52   #6842
Senior - BHPian

We use a steam cleaner for dental work. Its has decent pressure and is quite portable. An imported italian or german made one costs 45-60000. Might want to look into that. You will get indian or korean made ones for about half the price.

Then your other option is the steam mop x5 as seen on teleshopping network. It even comes with microfiber attachments !!
Old 20th January 2013, 13:25   #6843
BHPian

Quote:
HI Guys - Does anyone know of a Portable or Domestic Steam Washer. I am looking for one to clean AC Vents, Engine Bay and Rexine seats.
How about these:
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/inal...103745?pos=0;2
http://www.shopclues.com/morphy-rich...m-cleaner.html
http://www.futurebazaar.com/karcher-...20/?ref=search
Old 22nd January 2013, 16:46   #6844
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Archat.

Does these machines produce enough steam for cleaning engine bay / AC Vents ?

I was looking at something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/McCulloch-MC-1...=steam+cleaner

Anyone who has used a mop, does it produce enough steam to detail the engine bay and/or clean the AC Vents
Old 22nd January 2013, 16:50   #6845
BHPian

Quote:
Does these machines produce enough steam for cleaning engine bay / AC Vents ?
Sorry I have no idea :( .
Old 25th January 2013, 17:17   #6846
BHPian

Mates, one doubt. Is paint protection a must for new cars? Normally they do cleaning, claying & sealant etc, which may cost around 4k. As per my readings claying is for removal of fine dust which we may not see, but does this process harm the clear coat of factory paint? Factory paint process is entirely different. What, if, we shampoo with good branded shampoo & use wax/polish like sonax colinite etc & maintain?
Old 25th January 2013, 20:27   #6847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSUDA View Post
Is paint protection a must for new cars?
Yes.

Quote:
As per my readings claying is for removal of fine dust which we may not see, but does this process harm the clear coat of factory paint?
Claying is to remove bonded contaminants and not dust. Claying doesn't harm the paint at all. A car standing in dealers stock yard would easily have a lot of bonded contaminants, so a fresh new car should be clayed and applied paint sealant or wax, as per choice.

Quote:
What, if, we shampoo with good branded shampoo & use wax/polish like sonax colinite etc & maintain?
Doing DiY is best, but later people find it tedious but its a very good way to flex your muscle and keep your car in tip top condition. Initial investment is a bit but every time you detail the car, it's all worth it.

You don't even need to wash the car every day and you save water by using Jopasu Duster and quick detail by Optimum No Rinse in 1:25(ONR:Water) ratio.
Old 25th January 2013, 21:41   #6848
BHPian

Hi el lobo, thanks for your quick response. BTW, once we do paint protection for a new car, how long it will retain its shine, assuming we take care of the car properly like no parking in sun shine, using body cover even for over night & regular dusting with Jopasu etc?
Old 25th January 2013, 23:06   #6849
BHPian

Quote:
Hi el lobo, thanks for your quick response. BTW, once we do paint protection for a new car, how long it will retain its shine, assuming we take care of the car properly like no parking in sun shine, using body cover even for over night & regular dusting with Jopasu etc?
Depending on the type of protection and brand, it could last anywhere from 4-8 months.

Also regular DIY waxing (say once a month) adds a great layer of protection to the paint. It prevents the dust from attaching itself deep into the paint as well as helps maintain the luster of the paint.
Old 25th January 2013, 23:33   #6850
BHPian

Quote:
Mates, one doubt. Is paint protection a must for new cars? Normally they do cleaning, claying & sealant etc, which may cost around 4k. As per my readings claying is for removal of fine dust which we may not see, but does this process harm the clear coat of factory paint? Factory paint process is entirely different. What, if, we shampoo with good branded shampoo & use wax/polish like sonax colinite etc & maintain?
If you want to DIY get a bottle of Optimum No Rinse wash, some microfiber towels and a bottle of Meguiars Ultimate Quik spray wax.

Regularly dust off the car with Jopasu. When you think you need a wash use ONR and two bucket method.

After that you can use the Meg's UQW, just spray it thinly and after a few minutes wipe it off with a MF towel. You will get great gloss and protection which will last 1 month minimum. It is claimed to last about 3 month. And the ease with which you can get a great result with UQW you will be tempted to do it every week, believe me.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 10:20   #6851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
If you want to DIY get a bottle of Optimum No Rinse wash, some microfiber towels and a bottle of Meguiars Ultimate Quik spray wax.

Regularly dust off the car with Jopasu. When you think you need a wash use ONR and two bucket method.

After that you can use the Meg's UQW, just spray it thinly and after a few minutes wipe it off with a MF towel. You will get great gloss and protection which will last 1 month minimum. It is claimed to last about 3 month. And the ease with which you can get a great result with UQW you will be tempted to do it every week, believe me.
Agree fully here. Please DONOT underestimate the importance of Jopasu duster. Even prior to a proper wash, I use the jopasu to reduce the dust on the car and therefore reduce the probability of swirls.

Once every two months I wax the car using the paste wax (apply - dry - wipe off) and in between I just use the UQW. All this DIY really does make a difference towards paint protection.

For all activities listed above, use only a proper microfibre cloth (I bought some from snapdeal ).
ash_blore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 10:46   #6852
BHPian

I think we need a sticky for noobs on basic car cleaning, products to buy and where to get them. Who is up for it?
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 11:54   #6853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
P.S. - Has anybody shopped from www.Autofresh.in ?
They seem to carry a Clay Bar and a lot Waxes and sealant.
http://www.autofresh.in/default/inst...20-23295733777
I just stumbled upon this site and it looks like they're having an Independence Day sale offering 26% off till midnight today. Sounds good.

I have a black C200 that I wish to maintain myself. Once a while, I do want to consider getting a full detailing done by the likes of Kamyo or such, but I want to do all the regular, daily washing and cleaning myself.

Can someone recommend a good set of products for the following:
  1. Cover - I need a good, thick and soft cover that's thick enough to protect against bird droppings, cat/dog claws, yet soft enough to not damage the car while putting the cover on or taking it off.
  2. Shampoo - I just need to know what cleaning agent I need to mix with water and clean the car with.
  3. Sponge/Cloth - Microfibre yes, but any particular kind? What about a sponge type?
  4. Polish/Shine - Once in a while, I'd like a little quick polish for a good shine. This doesn't need to last for 3 months - even if it lasts for one day, I'm cool with it.

AutoFresh also has brand-wise combo offers, such as the Meguiar's kits and the 3M kits. Any thoughts on these? Or is it better to mix and match brands?

I went through as much of the thread as I could, but, with all due respect, 457 pages is a little too much!

Also, I think @pedaltothefloor's suggestion of a sticky post for noobs is a great idea and I really feel someone should do it...

Thanks in advance!
Old 26th January 2013, 12:19   #6854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalaap View Post
I just stumbled upon this site and it looks like they're having an Independence Day sale offering 26% off till midnight today. Sounds good.

I have a black C200 that I wish to maintain myself. Once a while, I do want to consider getting a full detailing done by the likes of Kamyo or such, but I want to do all the regular, daily washing and cleaning myself.

Can someone recommend a good set of products for the following:
  1. Cover - I need a good, thick and soft cover that's thick enough to protect against bird droppings, cat/dog claws, yet soft enough to not damage the car while putting the cover on or taking it off.
  2. Shampoo - I just need to know what cleaning agent I need to mix with water and clean the car with.
  3. Sponge/Cloth - Microfibre yes, but any particular kind? What about a sponge type?
  4. Polish/Shine - Once in a while, I'd like a little quick polish for a good shine. This doesn't need to last for 3 months - even if it lasts for one day, I'm cool with it.
AutoFresh also has brand-wise combo offers, such as the Meguiar's kits and the 3M kits. Any thoughts on these? Or is it better to mix and match brands?

I went through as much of the thread as I could, but, with all due respect, 457 pages is a little too much!

Also, I think @pedaltothefloor's suggestion of a sticky post for noobs is a great idea and I really feel someone should do it...

Thanks in advance!
Autofresh is good. Fast delivery.
If you want to buy a Kit - go for this:
http://www.autofresh.in/home/meguiar...20-64204801274

All the items are top quality and newbie friendly. Add some good quality microfiber towels to the kit for washing and cleaning. The ultimate quik wax is a spray wax which is extremely easy to use and produces great gloss with ease and lasts for one month at least.
Old 26th January 2013, 16:53   #6855
BHPian

hi guys,

i had posted a few days back about my jopasu duster having lost its ability to pick up dust. Its behaving more like a normal rainbow coloured duster sold on traffic signals.

i was advised to clean it with warm water and let it dry on its own to restore the 'magic' ability. Tried it and it didnt help.

my duster is just about 4-5 months old has been used about 3 times a week. i have read people have used their duster for many more months without any issues.

What did i do wrong? is there a way to restore it or just go buy a new one. Atleast i would want to ensure that lasts longer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks